Port of Long Beach Employee Reviews in United States

Poor management
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Construction management team does not care about investor's money. Projects are always have a vast percentage of design issues, QA&QC are very poor, budget has never been enough to finish the project, contractors have easy deals being paid because people who are responsible to pay to them do not have enough negotiation experience and knowledge working in the construction business.
Pros
Comfortable place to work
Cons
Alot politics
i loved it there
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 13, 2016
working at the port was very fun. We work hared there, but they make it fun along the way to where it seems like we don't do work. we do what we love to do fix stuff and help people while we are at it.
I have gotten used to my work. Would like something different.
Financial Reporting and Internal Controls Officer (Current Employee) –  Port of Long Beach, Long Beach, CAJanuary 1, 2014
I have learned to interact with various levels of hierarchy within the organization; it is a pleasant environment, but after having been there for such a long time starts getting to you, My experience is heavily oriented to the financial statements preparation area and internal controls area. My position could be compared to a Controller in a business environment. The hardest part for me is to deal with routine, I have gotten used to do the same thing for some many years; I do enjoyed working at my place of employment but I believe is time for a change.
Pros
job stability, benefits
Cons
routine work
It was okay.
Clerical Aide III/Receptionist - Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 6, 2015
Working at the port is very nice. People are very intelligent and laid back. However, the hardest part was dealing with higher management.
Enjoyable place to work; learned a lot
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 25, 2014
I enjoyed working for the Port of Long Beach. I learned a lot on a daily basis. I assisted the Administrative Analyst with purchase orders and releasing from blanket purchase orders from existing accounts. Our director was a nice person to report to on a daily basis. My co-workers were energetic like myself and they always enjoyed coming to work. Hardest part of the job was that the day went by too fast. I enjoyed working here and the company wanted to keep me but since I wasn't on the clerk typist list I was unable to stay with them.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
non-career employee
Poor Management / Senior Personnel Incompetent
Future Ex-employee (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 16, 2012
Engineering Design (Harbor Dept) is currently under very poor management and because of it, the department has the lowest work output and morale in Port history. Senior personnel are given assignments they cannot complete due to their own shortcomings and attitudes. Because of this, projects are routinely over budget, past deadlines and riddled with engineering design flaws.

The "city employee" is alive and well in this department. These employees are a product of the, "you can't fire me, and I dont have to work if I dont want to" system. The same system that allows employees to "pull seniority" in times of layoffs to preserve their jobs. Seniority meaning time with the city and not actual work accomplished. Younger, more knowledgable employees with higher output levels and higher contribution levels are axed because of this.

I would not recommend working here unless you plan on retiring soon or want a very very small work load and dont mind politcal games played by management and senior personnel.
Pros
city/government employment is seen as one of the most stable jobs around.
Cons
low pay, lots of office politics, no work, bad attitudes, low morale, bad management, low expertise levels
Graphic Intern
Graphic Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 18, 2012
Did graphics for the port of Long Beach. Supported community & city events that had dealings with the port. Went out & greeted vessels that made maiden voyages to the port.
Pros
get to work in a port with large ships.
Cons
internship had to end.
Productive & Steady work enviornment
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 14, 2013
I enjoyed this position beacause it was a very steady work pace.
Pros
kept me busy
Cons
only a temp job

Port of Long Beach Reviews by Location