PORT OF OAKLAND Employee Reviews

Working by loading Cranes
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 23, 2015
Working with expert engineers, that allows you to learn more about the Engineering industry. Overall, it was a great experience to work with the Engineers that they already had tons of experiences in the field of Engineering.
Pros
Complementry coffee
Cons
No candy with the coffee
Security intensive atmosphere
Sr. Buyer Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 17, 2015
As a contract worker I experienced the requirements of Public Purchasing and Public Bidding Process.
The process is centralized although the duties are fractionalized by the divisions of the Port's functions, i.e. aviation, shipping and rail.
Pros
Intense security environment
Cons
Supportive employee atmosphere
A good place to work with a very diverse demographic of people
Desktop Support and Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 13, 2015
There was no such thing as a typical day on this job.

My direct supervisors and managers were really good to work with and honestly made it worth it. My co-workers as well made it all possible.

This was a challenging role and a challenging situation for anybody. I took the job as a challenge. We had to do the work of an entire army with very few people and resources and we pulled it off so well that we wrapped up the deployments early.

The hardest part was being in the lead role while things changed and processes were interrupted at every turn. It was stressful but, also the most rewarding part of the entire gig.
Pros
short commute. good people. good work.
Cons
low pay. temp contract. no opportunity for advancment
geart job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 13, 2015
wake up going too work feeling good cause i know i was going too work with some good co-workers the most enjoyable job...would love too go back and work for them
Great place to work for with excellent salary
Administrative Asst (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Typical day start with opening emails, retrieving messages, and going to meeting for updated information on today's agenda. Return calls, updated database, and set up conference rooms for seminars and corporate meetings.
Pros
lot of free food, comes in on a regular basis
Cons
demanding
Positive environment
Insurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland AirportApril 8, 2014
Port of Oakland, Oakland Airport was a job in training for me. At that time (present-time), Port is not hiring ! I was able to enhance my job skills in the administrative positions; but could not get into the port as a permanent worker...
Pros
excellent training opportunities
Cons
port of oakland is not hiring...
temp job
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  West Oakland, CASeptember 23, 2013
loading trucks
how to work under pressure
fair
not being late on loading
exsercise
Pros
work out
Cons
over worked
Productive Workplace
Landside Operations (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 1, 2013
A typical day at work would be for me to take the lost and found messages from the day before, then try to find the customers items and if we have it in the lost and found then I would call them and let them know. I would either mail their item out to them or have them come in and pick it up, which ever is better for the customer. Then I would start on renewing parking permits and for new employees with the Oakland Airport I would get them started on a new application for their parking permit. After that I would take a break and after my break I would work on filing papers while answering the phone for the lost and found.
Great Internship opprotunity
Media & Public Relations (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 14, 2013
The Port of Oakland offers a great internship opportunity for students in college and high school. Make sure you take advantage of it!
productive and fun place to work with very nice and helpful people
Ground Transportation Coordinator assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 4, 2013
A typical day at work was made of phone calls and answers,meeting,meeting report writing, spreadsheet setting, problem solving,payment handling,files updating.but also talking with colleagues at break time from whom I learned a lot professionally and personally.
The manager, very professional and passionate with his job,very helpful.the co-workers, helpful as well and fun.
The hardest part of the job was to explain the same thing many times to customers who were not cooperative.and have to enforce the rules and regulations;
most enjoyable when customers are happy and we received positive feedback.And the feeling of a job well done at the end of the day.
Pros
nice working environment, free lunches sometime, nice people
Cons
office not opened to day light.
I enjoy my job. The work requirement was involved but at the end of the day I felt fulfeeled knowing I did my best.
Warehouse Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 22, 2013
I found my job to be very rewarding. I was there ahead of my work schedule every morning. When I arrived, I began preparing the work to start the day before the supervisor arrived.
Pros
i worked around great people.
Cons
the comute was sometimes challenging but i still made sure i was there on time.
Fast paced and consistant work.
Processor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 4, 2013
Verify each item number and separate based on location.
Safely wrap each shipment and take them to shoppers, and
Keep documents on each truck that has come through my processing team. My team was hard workers and came to work everyday on time ready to work. The hardest part was working near the water on docks in the rain. Making the most of our day was the best part!
Positive workplace and environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 9, 2013
I enjoyed working at the Port of Oakland, the projects were challenging and the people that work there are very professional and committed to realizing the goals of the Strategic Plan.
Pros
people, projects
Cons
bureaucracy
loved the people and the company
Staff Chex (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 24, 2012
well frist of all i enjoyed it so much i wish i was able to go back!
Pros
they treated us to lunch every friday.
Cons
i had a hour for my lunch break
Insurance
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 21, 2012
Make sure Insurance was up to date for taxi drivers, limo, and aircraft and occasional boat make hang tags daily and for employess leaving out of town for days at a time.
Pros
nice view
Cons
security
the port was a very interesting job and that was because it was so diverse
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 14, 2012
I liked my job because each day had its own challenges. It would start getting our job assignments, then the supervisor would advise us of what he expected out of the work crew. I learned a very valuable lesson there ,never assume anything!!!!! I liked my supervisor, if there was a way to accomplish a task quicker and safer he would show you.My co-workers was easy to work with.I think the hardest part of my job was unloadind refriderated railcar it was cold What I enjoyed the most was on payday because we always had a light day.