Portamedic Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent vendor to work for
Medical Assistant, Phlebotomist, Health Examiner (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYMay 1, 2016
A typical day at work is running around all over NYC on the public transit to each client performing their Life or Disability insurance exams. I meet interesting people from all walks of life. I learned new things with each client I meet. Some tell me stories of their life and past. I have learned that in life everyone has something that they are dealing with, its how you push forward that makes it worth fighting for.

Management and my co-workers which are the CSR's treat me like family which makes my job enjoyable.

The hardest part of my job is when I have to ask the clients questions on their family medical history. I find myself having to comfort those that lost family in the 911 tradegy and horrible illnesses.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when the client feels comfortable with me, especially with the part where I draw their blood. The smile on their face makes my day.

Portamedic was merged with APPS, which makes it worth getting up in the morning. I can say that I am proud to be a part of the team.
Pros
Pick the days I want to work
Cons
No health insurance, taxes are paid at the end of the year
Very energetic motivated staff
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAOctober 27, 2015
Loved working with the staff at this job. Was constantly faced with new challenges and ideas. Job duties expanded tremendously but always with great training and preparation.
Temp Job
Medical Examiner/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Boise,IdOctober 1, 2015
Traveled to different locations as needed
Learned more about life insurance
Under new management
Self contracted employee
The hardest part was not having a dependable schedule
I really enjoyed the money
Pros
The Pay
Cons
Traveling, different schedule everyday, wear and tear on youe vehicle
Medical Examination and Insurance
Medical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Wethersfield. CTSeptember 11, 2015
Staff and co-workers good no problem. Went to different homes to perform vital signs , height and weight, blood draws and process them for it to ship to lab
Pros
Traveled to different locations
Cons
Not alot of Clients
fun good
Quality Assurance & Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tarzana, CAAugust 19, 2015
they went out of business. I would have stayed if they had not closed the office it was a very good job always had something to do and they wanted you to advance with in the company
Pros
good people to work for
Cons
can be very busy or very slow
very much fun
Quality Assurance & Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tarzana, CAAugust 7, 2015
worked with lots of different people always on the go and was a part time job that went full time after a month or two they where fun to work for till they closed the office by my and the next one was or 2 hours away
Pros
fun job
Cons
closed office
Worst company! Horrible pay No mileage.
Examiner (Current Employee) –  Santa clareita CaliforniaJuly 29, 2015
APPS sounds good but it wasn't they don't pay mileage. You have to wait almost two mo's for your check they don't pay on time no direct deposit so you have to wait for check! They give you tons of. Orders and expect you just to do all that with No gas.
It was a fun and exciting work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 22, 2015
We worked as team players and we did everything that we could to get the job done right and in a timely manner. Working over time .
Customer Service Representative/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with the insurance examiners and the different life insurance companies that I spoke to daily about the insurance physicals they would call in to schedule for their clients. The compensation was a small amount and we did not get any benefits. I left because I needed more money and benefits.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
low pay and no benefits
Portamedic could have been a good job if the boss was better
Medial Assistant / Examiner (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2015
I worked for a lady that also did physicals and It didn't take long before I figured out that I ended up with the physicals that didn't pay very well and had to drive far for them. Each physical paid different and you had to call and set your schedule if the patient was not there you had to reschedule but you lost the time and the gas that it cost to drive. Sometimes you would drive long distance and the patient would decide they would not want the physical and you would loose your money. The only good thing was my children were small and I could make my schedule around them if I needed to.
Pros
making my schedule
Cons
Having the physicals that didn't pay well and long distance
Energy
Supervisor/CSR (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2015
awesome company to be apart of. everyone is like family here. everyone got each other back and Team work is key to success in this company. we all got each other back. worst part of the day is having the rude callers but having great patience and understanding.
Cons
short breaks
good company
Phlebotomist for Insurance Exams (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 5, 2015
great company, I would work for them again. They provide you with all the equipment needed in travel to offices and clients home
Pros
travel
Cons
gas prices to travel
Felxible and exciting!
Paramedical Examiner (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAFebruary 28, 2015
The best part about working for Portamedic is most certainly the flexibility. It is a great job to have while going through school or for new moms or dads who have time in the morning but have a fluctuating schedule. It has all the perks of being a phlebotomist in the hospital but on the go! you get to meet people where they are comfortable ( home or work ). I have also been trained to complete an EKG when necessary and go through a complete medical history with the clients. Most people prefer to be seen in the morning 6-10 AM so it is a job for those that dont mind waking up early. I mean it when I say its exciting. Every day I come home with another story, whether a good day or a bad one. You et to experience a diverse amount of peoples and cultures all in a day.
Pros
flexible scheduling, independent work, great manager
Cons
traffic
Perform examination for client to obtain life or disability insurance.
Medical examiner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2015
I enjoyed working for the company but it changed hands and things weren't going to well for me their, such as pay roll always making mistakes, they changed some for they reasons we may not
be paid.
It's nice to be your own boss
Paramedical examiner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2015
It was great working when you wanted and where you wanted, but with the gas prices at 3.60 it was not ideal. A little scary going into peoples homes to do exams for life insurance. It would be the idle job if they had benefits and steady work.
Pros
freedom to schedule your own jobs
Cons
no benefits, had to buy everything for your office and you where a 1099
i make my own schedule, schedule appointments,
Medical Insurance Examiner- PartTime (Current Employee) –  mobile- charlotte, lee, colier countyDecember 1, 2014
when they have the work. it is not steady, and I never know what my paychecks are going to be. only good thing is that I know the 2 days a month that I get paid on 6th and the 20th.

I have great time management skills, I work under no one I am my own boss.

the hardest part of my job is hopping that I make enough to pay my bills for the month. you never know. work is not steady or guaranteed.

I do love my job but there is no telling what my pay is going to be. need steady employment.
Pros
i make my own schedule
Cons
not enough work for a steady income
Worst company for loyal, hardworking individuals.
Physicians Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNSeptember 22, 2014
Physical exams, specimen collection. I feel that poor managers and employees cause companies to go out of business, or in this companies case are bought out by a competitor. Good employees were to and far between. Dealing with incompetence was hardest of all. Patient care and interaction only benefit to this position.
Flexability to work from home
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LASeptember 18, 2014
Flexiblity to work from home
Opportunity to develope phlebotomy skills
Flexibility to set own work hours
Pros
flexiblity to work from home
Cons
work not consistent
Customer Service
Portamedical Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2014
Proved quality customer service to the insurance industry.
Pros
excellent care providers
Cons
company closed its location
Great Place to work
Senior Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 4, 2014
Lots of calls coming in and going out throughout the day. I learned how to speak to customers in person and on the phone and being polite in every situation. I enjoyed working with all co-workers as it was a small office and housed 4 employees but in the field we had 52 examiners that we spoke to on the phone and scheduled appointments with, shipped out there supplies and handled there daily input on going to clients homes. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some insurance companies or agents when a client complained about an examiner that may have stuck a client more than twice. What I enjoyed most about this job was the small office type field and all the examiners and co-workers. and of course the boss. This office was such a great place to work for before we got bought out by another company.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
1/2 hour lunches