Porter and Chester Institute Employee Reviews

Horrible Training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTSeptember 19, 2016
On my first day the woman who "trained me" never gave me the opportunity to write down what she was saying. She continuously used insider lingo and spoke as though I understood.

After four days our supervisor told me "it wasn't working out" and I should have "picked up" the entire role by that time. The supervisor said he wanted to ask me how things were going after day one but "was too busy." Had this guy had any interest in how I was doing he would have followed through and asked me after day one.

I suggest you do not apply nor continue to work there.
Pros
There are no pros to working there
Cons
There is no lunch room, break room, and the training is sub par.
Don't work here
Career Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTMay 3, 2016
Poor leadership from the top down that demonstrates daily that they do not value their employees. The CEO's highest priority is cutting cost to inflate the bottom line for the investors but is shortsighted as to the negative impact it has on the employees and in turn the students.
Pros
Some really good coworkers
Cons
Low pay, lack of support, poor culture.
Couldn't have been worse
Worker at PCI (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTSeptember 8, 2015
Poor communication. Did not follow GAAP, instead hid expenses from other campuses to have more advertising dollars. Directors did stuff like breaking into an office and tried to get in someone's laptop.

On a daily basis would work alone, repeat next day. Power was split between executive directors who frequently made alliances against each other.

If you want a professional environment, go somewhere else.
Pros
Education
Cons
Old Management
High employee turnover
Reg Director of Educational Funding (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAJanuary 3, 2016
Employer is not very family oriented. Sub par training and extremely HIGH employee turnover rate in all departments. Many students complain about the constant turnover of staff.
Rewarding Instructional Experience
Master Instructor (Current Employee) –  Watertown, CTJuly 18, 2015
It is a rewarding feeling to be able to train young adults in a field that they can call careers and support themselves and their children. Many of these people come from an environment where they are on welfare and are trying to better themselves. It is a true honor to be a part of that.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Five year raise freeze
Interesting work place
LPN Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTMarch 1, 2014
A typical day at work in the classroom consisted of proctoring, grading, and reviewing a test. Depending on the test result, student advisement may be necessary. The remainder of the day was spent preparing lessons for upcoming classes. Management kept an open door policy ad communication was mostly via electronic media. Co-workers were supportive and we all assisted each other whenever necessary.
The hardest part of the job was having students leave the program without achieving their goals.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the students finally grasping difficult concepts, especially those with no health care background.
New trade school offering extended education
Career Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAJuly 5, 2012
Set appointments for students and guide them thru academic explorations. I learned the needs of others for long term financial stability in career making decisions. If a student was interesred in another career field I was more than happy to lead them to another co-worker to meet their needs. Cold calling was included to recruit students, getting hung up on was hard but it was part of the job. The most enjoyable was career day, going to high schools and introducing Porter and Chester Institute.
Pros
selling what i believe in - education
Cons
extremly big turn-over position
Very fun and exciting learning environment great staff, and great teachers. Learning never stops
Networking Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Stratford, CTApril 1, 2013
Great place to be for a great learning experience. Great staff. Classrooms are small so teachers will make sure all of the students understand the material before going to the next class topic, or lesson.
Pros
uniforms, and computers provided by campus, and teachers are experience in the field
Cons
doesn't have a cafeteria
Raises don't exist.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  MAApril 28, 2014
I work in one of the MA campuses, i truly like most of the people i work with, that can be said about every job, however corporate is trying to build this I love PCI attitude with all employees and all you need to do is give us raises. 4 or 5 years with no increases? And the revolving door of employees does not seem to concern them, i mean you get one or two years out of someone then they find somewhere that will pay them better and they are gone. So if you are looking to soak up some experience then move on, not a bad stop, but don't consider long term unless you are ok never getting a raise...oh make sure you have health insurance through your spouse if possible, the benefits here are AWFUL and are expensive.
Pros
Good people on the campus level
Cons
Corporate doesn't care about you, no raises, terrible benefits
Great education and hands-on experience in a work setting
General IT Support (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAJune 5, 2012
Porter and Chester gave me great informative and real-life experience working in the IT field. It has helped me establish a footprint into my industry i'm passionate about.
Pros
certifications in various it fields, great at-work experience and real life scenarios
Cons
business software training
Don't work here
Instructor (Former Employee) –  CtApril 2, 2014
School only wants to make money.
They accept students that can barely
read, let alone speak English.
All of these "career schools" are the same.
Credits are not transferable , although
Admissions will lie & say they are.
They are not.
Get your education at one of the Community
Colleges.
Good luck.
Pros
Cons
Back stabbers, underpaid
worst company i have ever worked for the last 4 years
Automotive Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAFebruary 9, 2015
great company until an investment firm took over then there were no raises for three years horrible benefits if you want to call them that.
no appreciation for hard work and demanded to work at least 60 hours for a 40 hour salary.
Help build client base
Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 9, 2015
This was actually one of my favorite jobs. It was a fundraiser for elementary/middle school groups that involved purchasing food. They incorporated training, positive attitudes, and promoted within. It was a shame when they had to close their Northeast Region.
Great employees / Bad management
Instructor (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 14, 2015
Worked for PCI for over a decade and I've seen terrible people held onto (protected) and fantastic people fired for the craziest reasons.
Examples:
A great instructor and department supervisor for 8 years was told "Its not going to work out" (?) and was let go.
An alcoholic, drug addict and major attendance issue instructor was held onto for many years.
An instructor is made education director, which they didn't want, has no training for the position, little support or guidance is fired two days before Christmas. Beyond cruel.

I loved my coworkers but upper management is not interested in employee retention unless you "play their game". They give you no warnings or reasons. You can loose your job in a heart beat and have no clue why.

Horrible thing to go to work everyday and not know if you'll have a job the next day.
Pros
Coworkers were great.
Cons
4 week vacation can only be taken one week at a time, every 12 weeks. Below industry average pay. Terrible benefits.
Productive and Educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMay 5, 2014
Seeing students everyday striving to meet their goals to become a trained professional, makes you feel good going to work everyday to assist them in what ever way you can. I loved working with my team members, and learning new things. While in my position I had a variety of responsibilities. I would say the hardest part of the job was to see students withdrawal for personal issues they had no control over. Interacting with potential new students was very interesting. One of my responsibilities was to administer a Wonderlic Test, part of the Admission process, and it was very enjoyable getting to know the students, and being excited for them when they past the test. Another thing I loved to do at Porter and Chester was assisting in Financial Aid. I seemed to have a natural ability to explain the process in an understandable way, so it didn't sound like another language to them.
Pros
Assisting students, parents, and coworkers
Cons
Health Care
Great place fun and interesting
Automotive Technician (Tranning) (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAAugust 27, 2013
Go to shop see if their any cars to work on work on cars

learned different system of the car

very friendly co workers

the hardest part was when their where no cars to work on

Taking apart the cars and fixing what was broken in them.
In some ways good
Educational Funding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTJune 10, 2015
need to have more culture in compensation to their hard working employees, need to have more a family style company and be pro employees and students
Great place to learn a new career
Network Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTFebruary 9, 2014
Excellent teaching and great place to learn a great career,troubleshooting school computers and servers,Malware removal and workstation application installations
Pros
Great learning
productive
Student Technician (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTApril 1, 2015
Great school to gain experience in the general automotive field. Also great for learning to work almost as a B tech. great teachers and actual customer cars to work on.
management is awful & they lie
ma instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, maOctober 19, 2012
Horrible place to work, back stabbing, jealous directors who would rather fire an employee then do things legally, if you have morals and values, NOT a place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Porter and Chester Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9