Porter and Chester Institute Employee Reviews

Horrible Training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTNovember 9, 2017
The other admin is mischievous and two faced doesn't train properly AT ALL wants to feel like shes above everyone else there "management" does nothing about it even after reported sadly you feel like your working with a bunch of high school kids ! The teachers are pretty cool for the most part. Was miserable daily ! felt bullied didn't last long at all. only "good thing" was the pay
Pros
Pay
Cons
Coworkers
Great place to learn
HVAC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTAugust 10, 2017
Was many years ago but was a great school for people to learn their trades, management gave free reign to teach and to further the students knowledge.
Horrible bosses, great crews
Assistant Registrar (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 2, 2017
I loved working with the instructors and staff - all of them tried hard to provide the best experience for the studetns. The upper management is clueless and unresponsive to employees' needs. I found it demoralizing to work there.
No stability
Educational Funding (Current Employee) –  Stratford, CTMarch 30, 2017
The school does not provide a sense of security to its employees or salary advancements or good benefits. The environment is friendly but that doesn't compensate for these important shortcomings.
Terrible Corporate Leadership
Employee (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 17, 2017
They will cut positions the sceond enrollment dips. They have no problem with violating ACCSC guidelines as long as it's right after they've renewed their accreditation. Don't expect a raise, or any contributions to a retirement plan. When enrollment drops further, they'll expect you to furlough 3 weeks and do the same amount of work, while lying to students that you're on vacation. They represent everything that is wrong with for-profit education.
Pros
depending on department, flexibility
Cons
healthcare, lack of respect, lack of growth, no merit raises
Horrible Training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTSeptember 19, 2016
On my first day the woman who "trained me" never gave me the opportunity to write down what she was saying. She continuously used insider lingo and spoke as though I understood.

After four days our supervisor told me "it wasn't working out" and I should have "picked up" the entire role by that time. The supervisor said he wanted to ask me how things were going after day one but "was too busy." Had this guy had any interest in how I was doing he would have followed through and asked me after day one.

I suggest you do not apply nor continue to work there.
Pros
There are no pros to working there
Cons
There is no lunch room, break room, and the training is sub par.
Don't work here
Career Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTMay 3, 2016
Poor leadership from the top down that demonstrates daily that they do not value their employees. The CEO's highest priority is cutting cost to inflate the bottom line for the investors but is shortsighted as to the negative impact it has on the employees and in turn the students.
Pros
Some really good coworkers
Cons
Low pay, lack of support, poor culture.
High employee turnover
Reg Director of Educational Funding (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAJanuary 3, 2016
Employer is not very family oriented. Sub par training and extremely HIGH employee turnover rate in all departments. Many students complain about the constant turnover of staff.
Corporate Porter and Chester
Education Supervisor/ MA Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MANovember 2, 2015
I have worked with some of the hardest working staff over the past 8 years. They are driven by the passion to educate Medical Assistants. I had the pleasure to run the Medical Assisting department at the Chicopee campus and to work with great people. I am saddened to see the direction the company is heading.
Couldn't have been worse
Worker at PCI (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTSeptember 8, 2015
Poor communication. Did not follow GAAP, instead hid expenses from other campuses to have more advertising dollars. Directors did stuff like breaking into an office and tried to get in someone's laptop.

On a daily basis would work alone, repeat next day. Power was split between executive directors who frequently made alliances against each other.

If you want a professional environment, go somewhere else.
Pros
Education
Cons
Old Management
Rewarding Instructional Experience
Master Instructor (Current Employee) –  Watertown, CTJuly 18, 2015
It is a rewarding feeling to be able to train young adults in a field that they can call careers and support themselves and their children. Many of these people come from an environment where they are on welfare and are trying to better themselves. It is a true honor to be a part of that.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Five year raise freeze
In some ways good
Educational Funding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTJune 10, 2015
need to have more culture in compensation to their hard working employees, need to have more a family style company and be pro employees and students
productive
Student Technician (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTApril 1, 2015
Great school to gain experience in the general automotive field. Also great for learning to work almost as a B tech. great teachers and actual customer cars to work on.
Great employees / Bad management
Instructor (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 14, 2015
Worked for PCI for over a decade and I've seen terrible people held onto (protected) and fantastic people fired for the craziest reasons.
Examples:
A great instructor and department supervisor for 8 years was told "Its not going to work out" (?) and was let go.
An alcoholic, drug addict and major attendance issue instructor was held onto for many years.
An instructor is made education director, which they didn't want, has no training for the position, little support or guidance is fired two days before Christmas. Beyond cruel.

I loved my coworkers but upper management is not interested in employee retention unless you "play their game". They give you no warnings or reasons. You can loose your job in a heart beat and have no clue why.

Horrible thing to go to work everyday and not know if you'll have a job the next day.
Pros
Coworkers were great.
Cons
4 week vacation can only be taken one week at a time, every 12 weeks. Below industry average pay. Terrible benefits.
worst company i have ever worked for the last 4 years
Automotive Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAFebruary 9, 2015
great company until an investment firm took over then there were no raises for three years horrible benefits if you want to call them that.
no appreciation for hard work and demanded to work at least 60 hours for a 40 hour salary.
Help build client base
Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 9, 2015
This was actually one of my favorite jobs. It was a fundraiser for elementary/middle school groups that involved purchasing food. They incorporated training, positive attitudes, and promoted within. It was a shame when they had to close their Northeast Region.
good
Practical Nursing administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTJuly 31, 2014
good company to work for. nice people to work with. Fun environment.
hands on work experience
Student (Current Employee) –  Watertown, CTJune 23, 2014
great school to learn how to do HVAC. teachers are great at explaining things in detail
Interesting place to work
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill CtMay 7, 2014
I actually worked as the instructor in Rocky Hill and did not write the below review. Question is who did? and why?
Pros
Cons
Would not recommend
Productive and Educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMay 5, 2014
Seeing students everyday striving to meet their goals to become a trained professional, makes you feel good going to work everyday to assist them in what ever way you can. I loved working with my team members, and learning new things. While in my position I had a variety of responsibilities. I would say the hardest part of the job was to see students withdrawal for personal issues they had no control over. Interacting with potential new students was very interesting. One of my responsibilities was to administer a Wonderlic Test, part of the Admission process, and it was very enjoyable getting to know the students, and being excited for them when they past the test. Another thing I loved to do at Porter and Chester was assisting in Financial Aid. I seemed to have a natural ability to explain the process in an understandable way, so it didn't sound like another language to them.
Pros
Assisting students, parents, and coworkers
Cons
Health Care