Portland Community College

Portland Community College Employer Reviews

Productive Independent Work
Chemistry Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: sufficient amount of breaks, independent work
Cons: not enough hours, seasonal
A typical day includes checking the classrooms, organizing the materials, refill and replace items in the lab, wash glassware, prepping lab material, and set up and break down lab finals and demos.

I have learned to work independently and efficiently by myself.

I worked directly with my supervisor. The hardest part of the job was during the beginning – more... when I did not know where anything was, and I had to ask my supervisor a lot of questions.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working independently. After I got used to the job, I would clock-in and begin my work. – less
Somewhat flexible working environment, but not a meritocracy
Professor (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: flexilibty, no one looking over your shoulder making sure you're at the office
Cons: reward based on seniority, not on how good of a teacher you are
Tough place for workaholics, because you can work an infinite number of hours, with no extrinsic reward or recognition. Fulfilling work though - the students need dedicated instructors who care.
Student
Student (Former Employee), Graphic DesignJuly 2, 2014
Demanding but fair. Difficult to schedule classes around work schedule as classes only offered once a year/term.
Productive, creative - love working there
Phlebotomy instructor (Current Employee), portland, orJune 9, 2014
Pros: creative culture, open minded, progressive education
Instructor - always well selected students, productive classes, administration is extremely well oriented in study subjects, marketing and provides a strong leadership.
Volunteer
Student Volunteer (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 21, 2014
Volunteering time at multiple events. Events range from on campus displays to events hosted by major companies like Intel and presenting to future students.
The work study student program is good for every student.
Work Study Student (Current Employee), Tigard, ORMay 6, 2014
Pros: no free luch, sometimes free coffee.
Cons: nothing
When I worked , I was enjoying and learning a lot of the skill speak English . This is a easy work at there. And now, I want to change for work because I need to help my family . I want to look for a job that I can work for part time or full time. Thanks so much.
This job is only work-study job
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee), PortlandMay 5, 2014
I Help students working with computer.
The hardest part of this job is language.
Great to place work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Portland, ORApril 23, 2014
PCC has a lot of diversity. It's a great place to work and everyone is very friendly and personable.
Excellent Place To Work
CAREER SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 20, 2014
Pros: learning culture.
Cons: none.
Empowering culture as an agency in the Steps To Success program. The manager inspired me to stretch myself and I give her credit years later for inspiring me to get my masters.
A wealth of knowledge.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 19, 2014
Pros: flexible hours and conferencing
Cons: limited hours while trying to balance a school schedule.
I could not get enough of the combined strengths and knowledge of this dynamic group of professors and instructors. They made me proud of who I was, and showed me to be confident in my work. They gave me the opportunities and the tools to achieve whatever I wanted to. They are the solid backbone that I stake my indepth knowledge of the manufacturing – more... world, and I will never forget the things they have done for me. – less
Great Academic Enviorment
Office Assistant II (Current Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 11, 2014
It's really hard to become classified but once you are its easier to move around for professional advancement.
working with students was a lot of fun
Cashier in BO and AR (Former Employee), downtown Portland, ORFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: free tuition, good benefits including 401k and pension
Cons: hours
Management was mostly flexible. You work independently. Like many state run facility, you have a lot of perks. Great co-workers downtown.
Great Temp Agencies
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Portland,orJanuary 22, 2014
I would work for this company again they help you get a great job whether it is a temporary job or temp to hire on.
Overpaid union employees w/poor work ethic
Academic Professional (Former Employee), PortlandOctober 26, 2013
Pros: well paid for so little responsibility/accountability & easy work
Cons: v political culture - gangs up on you if you are not in the "in-crowd"
V sad for a College to advise No budget to pay for career-related classes & to use own vacation time. No room for advancement/Mgt positions are few. Great place for minorities to work as they can come in late, not answer their phone, do v little & get away w/it for years. No accountability. Union wants your dues for political activity but doesnt have – more... time or interest to represent ees or prevent bullying. Mgt plays favorites & hire their friends. – less
Greeting customer, answering phone call
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 18, 2013
My work place is a computer lab where student come to study.
Greeting student and asking them log in and log out.
Help student basic computer if they need
Answering phone call
General Lab help
Portland, Ore. Engineering Lab Asst (Current Employee), Portland OregonSeptember 12, 2013
This was a work study job, Mostly watching over the lab, there was some helping setting up the lab.
Great people to work with
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 2, 2013
During a typical shift there's a faculty tutor, and 4 or 5 student and what are called casual tutors walking about the tutoring center answering questions from various students. The students are taking classes from beginning algebra level all the way to calculus and statistics.
Student Leadership Administrative Affairs (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 29, 2013
Pros: good benefit package
Friendly environment, a lot advantages for educational purpose.
Not enough hours
Math/Accounting/Computer Applications Tutor (Current Employee), Beaverton, ORAugust 26, 2013
Pros: learning on the job
Cons: not enough hours
I love the job I do here; however, due to the nature of the business and the position I have there aren't many shifts to go around. Overall though my job and my employer are satisfying.
fun workplace with good experience
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 14, 2013
Pros: working with kids
Cons: no job openings
Meet and greet students. answer telephone and send to appropriate line, file student files. I learned to do tasks quickly and efficiently but also making sure that work was done accurately. Management was great in teaching me things that I could only learn on the job, and the co-workers were very friendly and giving good advise. The hardest part of – more... the job was the hectic mornings of doing breakfast orders, taking calls and attending to students needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was attending to the students needs. – less

1 2 3