Portland General Electric Employee Reviews in United States

Your job is based on if they like you, not on your performance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 26, 2016
I worked there in the call center in Tualatin. The pay and benefits from the company are really really good. Best i have ever seen at a company. However, the management team there is extremely crooked. You could have the best numbers on the floor, be extremely friendly but if your boss does not like you they will let you go. They provide no evidence as to the reason they let you go when you ask for it. I guess this is why they tell you they wont fight your unemployment claim "even though i never brought it up"haha.
Pros
Benefits are amazing
Cons
Management team
Great company with great benefits
Chemistry Technician (Current Employee) –  Clatskanie, ORAugust 23, 2016
Lots of opportunities for hard working people. Average length of stay is 20+ years for most employees. 4, 10 hour work days. Power industry is very stable employment.
Pros
Lots of locations to choose from, lots of variety in positions, power industry is very stable
Cons
Not much overtime, hard to get out of union position and into management
Good place to work if you are from USA
SR. DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 15, 2016
Typical Day at work. Mostly it is.
What you learned. A lot, especially how live your life.
Management. Manages people.
Co-workers? who are they LOL...! :) They are good.
Hardest part is always hard to explain ;)
Enjoyable Part: Hmm... Just be there to enjoy. If you are happy go person.
great place
challenging work
friendly atmosphere
good benefits
Good Company
Manager Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR 97205April 30, 2016
Great Company. Lots of benefits and skills learned. Flexible hours with an amazing staff. Not really much else to say considering indeed wants me to write this article telling you what its like to work there.
Good O'l-boy Network
Employee (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMarch 9, 2016
This company is great at hiring really amazing people but doesn't know how to develop and retain them. They often hire under-qualified people they know (friends and family) for career-path positions when they have really qualified people in their call center taking calls. People with actual REAL industry experience and education get passed over for career positions because one for the managers has an unemployed family member. When they are not hiring their immediate family, then they are playing the "mean girls" games from high school and only allowing the popular kids to come and sit at the leadership table. Unfortunately, because leadership hires people just like them, then there is a lack of innovation due to the lack of diversity in thought and ideas. The CEO is not personable and cold. He is trying to be a "WORLD CLASS" utility, only problem is PGE is not a "World-Class" company.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Nepotism and Favoritism is rampant.
Lucky to work here
Sr. Web Sphere SOA Consultant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 29, 2016
A very great company to work, good leadership and motivating people around in the company with high standards.

I real feel that I was lucky to work in the company for many years
If PGE was a private company, they would be out of business
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORFebruary 15, 2016
Worked for PGE for a year at the Tualatin call center, Temp to hire which is a terrible way to work. Micromanaged with every move, the main database for customer info is from 2002. Ancient and slow, management blames you for the smallest errors from software that was designed around Y2K time. My training class of 12, only 5 made it out to the floor. So a 58% failure rate is acceptable for PGE. There is a new version of the database to be upgraded in 2018 or later. So 15 year old software making every call near impossible to not make a mistake. Call handle times of 3:30 for average is expected. PGE looks very shiny from the outside, once you are in that view changes. The management is shifting around the departments like musical chairs now, which prompted me to leave and the fact that I am still a temp after a year of taking calls. Don't bother with PGE unless you want stress upon stress layered with micromanagement and an ancient DOS based software suite for the customer lookup database.
Pros
Location, pay rate is higher than some call centers
Cons
TEMP TO HIRE, heavily micromanaged by mediocre people
Fun times
Intern Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 11, 2015
This a great opportunity for students who are looking into the electrical trade. Working there as an intern introduces people to many different electrical job opportunities. The full time employees make working there very enjoyable and easy to catch on.
No support for empoyees
Admin Office Assistant/Facilities coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 9, 2015
I worked there for 5 years and the last 3 were not pleasant at all due to the management. they do not support their employees. They say they do but no they have all these useless programs and its just a tool to make an employee look bad.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management
wonderful benifits which made you overlood the cons of the company
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 31, 2015
working for PGE was indeed an experience . At the end of my career with them, there came about a lot of changes which made it hard to continue to be happy with the company. Overall I put in many years with them and gained much knowledge which is something I am truly thankful for.
Pros
excellent benifit packages, 401 k plan with 50 percent match, and wonderful learning abilities and room for growth.
Cons
mot able to voice your ideas or opinions without risk. when problems occur with mgnt, going to human resources makes things worse, so alot of time your basically on your own when there are issues with mgnt.
Great company to work for
Customer Service Call Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 5, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with for 25 years and my actual managers I worked for. Lots of opportunity for a period of time, then unfortunately that changed.
Pros
Great pay at one point.
Cons
Company changed...
Good, knowledgeable people to work with
Senior Technical/Functional Contractor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2015
Good, knowledgeable people to work with. Great location in downtown Portland. I would recommend to people for the experience.
control room Operator (Current Employee) –  Boardman,OregonMarch 30, 2015
Start my shift with a turn over from previous crew.
I have learn so much and still do, everyday there's always something new which makes me very exited.
From a outside operator to a control room operator my evolution in the plant has gave me a better understanding how this Combine cycle plants work and what it takes to make reliable power.
My managers have been very supportive and have allowed me to succeed.
My co-workers are great to work with, it feels like we are a family even though it may be dysfunctional at times we still get the job done safely and on time.
Having 2 plants running and one trips and the other one is about too and there's only me in the control room until help arrives.
A sense of achievement at the end of the day is very enjoyable.
Pros
Benefits and the people
Cons
Wrong State
Good Employer
Admin. Asst. IV/File Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job that is the employer provides opportunities for me to grow.

The hardest part I found daily is parking spaces in downtown area.
Pros
good benefits, more opportunities
Ping Pong table, Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tualatin OregonAugust 22, 2014
Nice people, real personable atmosphere. Big on home work balance will make you feel a little like family.
Pros
good money, great lunch places to eat.
Cons
temp. to hire
Great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  tualatin ORJune 27, 2014
The job overall was a customer service position, answering questions regarding customer's bill and services. Assisted customers with payment arrangement and other services. The most enjoyable part would be talking to the customers and knowing that you are helping others. Co-workers were great for the most part but a lot of them are a little stressed due to the job and the management. It is very micromanaged and stats driven. Management puts pressure on you about stats and reminds you that your job there is not guaranteed, Very stressful workplace.
Pros
benefits, 401k
Cons
micromanaged
An excellent atmosphere to work and grow in.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 15, 2014
A typical day at work involves anywhere from 60 to 90 different contacts with customers who are wide ranging in their individuality and needs.
I enjoy working with people and the strategy involved in really working to fix situations and solve problems that have become issues. I learn how to deal with new personalty types every day since the customers are so diverse in their backgrounds and objectives.
The mangagement at PGE work hard to create and maintain an atmosphere of diversity and respect as well as accountability. I enjoy my coworkers because they are right on the front lines with me and see all that I see and experience the same interactions day to day.
The hardest part of my job is to calm down a customer who is upset but doesnt have a clue as to how to articulate what is bothering them and to "translate" what they are saying into a coherent image in my mind that I can work with to help them get to where they want to go so that they can have their frustration alleviated.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have really assisted someone and hearing the relief in their voice and the gratitude because they know that they can relax now since the issue has been taken care of.
Pros
excellent lounges and cafeteria, moveable ergo desks
Cons
the eye insurance could be a little more comprehensive
Excellent compensation - negative work culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 27, 2014
It depends on which area of the company a person is employed. The work environment can be very different depending upon the current co-workers, supervisor, manager, or vice president. Overall PGE offers excellent wages and benefits. There are opportunities to work with smart, talented and supportive individuals from all areas of the company. The work is interesting because it constantly changes. The regulatory affairs department is entrenched with a negative culture that puts a chill on work quality and motivation. The department has a poor reputation internally. Promotions are based upon favortism. Myopic view of what type of person will be successful. Lack of ability to identify good work and talent. Hostile work environment. High turnover.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits
Cons
entrenched negative work culture
Good experience in Energy & Regulatory Sector, Poor in Work-Life Balance
IT Cybersecurity Operations Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2014
There is plenty of work and not enough resources. You will learn much about the Energy Generation, Transmission and Distribution. But, very little to do about improving processes and cybersecurity. The hardest part about the job is the cultural dynamics.
Pros
good people
Cons
under staffed, under resourced, no time for training.

2.9