Portland General Electric Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Customer Service Call Center Rep (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great pay at one point.
Cons: Company changed...
I enjoyed the people I worked with for 25 years and my actual managers I worked for. Lots of opportunity for a period of time, then unfortunately that changed.
Good, knowledgeable people to work with
Senior Technical/Functional Contractor (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 31, 2015
Good, knowledgeable people to work with. Great location in downtown Portland. I would recommend to people for the experience.
control room Operator (Current Employee), Boardman,OregonMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits and the people
Cons: Wrong State
Start my shift with a turn over from previous crew.
I have learn so much and still do, everyday there's always something new which makes me very exited.
From a outside operator to a control room operator my evolution in the plant has gave me a better understanding how this Combine cycle plants work and what it takes to make reliable power.
My managers have been very supportive and have allowed me to succeed.
My co-workers are great to work with, it feels like we are a family even though it may be dysfunctional at times we still get the job done safely and on time.
Having 2 plants running and one trips and the other one is about too and there's only me in the control room until help arrives.
A sense of achievement at the end of the day is very enjoyable.
Constant Turn over type of Employer.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Tualatin, OROctober 25, 2014
Pros: benefit package is very good if you are eligible ever...
Cons: temp to hire and that never happens, part time hours, no benefits
If an employer has to have multiple job fairs to hire "part time temporary call center workers" then you know that is an employer you should avoid. Part time to not provide benefits and temporary to never allow you to earn those benefits. PGE is a huge municipality and makes a good profit every year. If you work for PGE, think hard about a company this size not providing benefits, temp to hire eliminating workers constantly and having a revolving door on new hires. Had a hard time getting honest answers from management also, just not a good company to work for.
Good Employer
Admin. Asst. IV/File Coordinator (Current Employee), Portland, OROctober 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits, more opportunities
The most enjoyable part of the job that is the employer provides opportunities for me to grow.

The hardest part I found daily is parking spaces in downtown area.
Ping Pong table, Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tualatin OregonAugust 22, 2014
Pros: good money, great lunch places to eat.
Cons: temp. to hire
Nice people, real personable atmosphere. Big on home work balance will make you feel a little like family.
Great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), tualatin ORJune 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, 401k
Cons: micromanaged
The job overall was a customer service position, answering questions regarding customer's bill and services. Assisted customers with payment arrangement and other services. The most enjoyable part would be talking to the customers and knowing that you are helping others. Co-workers were great for the most part but a lot of them are a little stressed due to the job and the management. It is very micromanaged and stats driven. Management puts pressure on you about stats and reminds you that your job there is not guaranteed, Very stressful workplace.
An excellent atmosphere to work and grow in.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tualatin, ORMay 15, 2014
Pros: excellent lounges and cafeteria, moveable ergo desks
Cons: the eye insurance could be a little more comprehensive
A typical day at work involves anywhere from 60 to 90 different contacts with customers who are wide ranging in their individuality and needs.
I enjoy working with people and the strategy involved in really working to fix situations and solve problems that have become issues. I learn how to deal with new personalty types every day since the customers are so diverse in their backgrounds and objectives.
The mangagement at PGE work hard to create and maintain an atmosphere of diversity and respect as well as accountability. I enjoy my coworkers because they are right on the front lines with me and see all that I see and experience the same interactions day to day.
The hardest part of my job is to calm down a customer who is upset but doesnt have a clue as to how to articulate what is bothering them and to "translate" what they are saying into a coherent image in my mind that I can work with to help them get to where they want to go so that they can have their frustration alleviated.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have really assisted someone and hearing the relief in their voice and the gratitude because they know that they can relax now since the issue has been taken care of.
Excellent compensation - negative work culture
Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: excellent wages and benefits
Cons: entrenched negative work culture
It depends on which area of the company a person is employed. The work environment can be very different depending upon the current co-workers, supervisor, manager, or vice president. Overall PGE offers excellent wages and benefits. There are opportunities to work with smart, talented and supportive individuals from all areas of the company. The work is interesting because it constantly changes. The regulatory affairs department is entrenched with a negative culture that puts a chill on work quality and motivation. The department has a poor reputation internally. Promotions are based upon favortism. Myopic view of what type of person will be successful. Lack of ability to identify good work and talent. Hostile work environment. High turnover.
Good experience in Energy & Regulatory Sector, Poor in Work-Life Balance
IT Cybersecurity Operations Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: under staffed, under resourced, no time for training.
There is plenty of work and not enough resources. You will learn much about the Energy Generation, Transmission and Distribution. But, very little to do about improving processes and cybersecurity. The hardest part about the job is the cultural dynamics.
Old fashioned backward company
Consultant (Former Employee), Portland, orNovember 25, 2013
Pros: decent work life balance.
Cons: expensive parking.
Very old school culture. No support for advancement, no mentoring or adapting to new management styles.
A Step In the Right Direction
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tualatin, ORAugust 28, 2013
Pros: benefits, coworkers
Cons: a good distance from my home
It was a good company to work for

I enjoyed talking to customers over the phone and helping them sort out their bills, charges or ways they could save money

I learned patience in the face of angry customers and to remain professional

Management was the most hands-on I had ever experienced in my work career; it was good to know that they cared

My coworkers were a hard-working and conscientious bunch and I enjoyed working with everyone

The hardest part of the job were the times when that rare customer couldn't be helped as much as I had hoped when picking up a call

There were a great many things that were enjoyable that I couldn't choose just one
A Great Place to Work
Customer Service Field Represenatative (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 29, 2013
Pros: self-managed, available overtime, healthcare, stock purchasing
Cons: walking all day in the rain, getting stuck in the mud occasionally
Of all the places I've ever worked in my life, Portland General Electric was the best! I think the one thing that made it the best was the people. My co-workers, and those with whom I'd become acquainted, were nice, helpful and seemed generally caring with each other. I remamber that soom after I had been hired on to PGE I came dome with appendicitus. My manager took the time out of his day to drive me to an Urgent Care facility and stayed with me. That just doesn't happen everywhere.
3 Reasons why I've stayed with PGE
Human Resources (Current Employee), Portland, ORApril 26, 2013
Pros: the stability of a utility, great people/teams, development opportunities, compensation, located in oregon, community partnerships
Cons: diversity at the management level, difficult to fire poor performers, slow career advancement, corporate sluggishness
I had worked for several companies before landing at PGE and there are 3 things that have kept me here: 1) Company stability; 2) Professional development opportunities; and 3) Competitive compensation package.
Arrogant Incompetent Management
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 10, 2013
Pros: easy to get to downtown
Cons: scrummasters there are complete dufases
Working at PGE is not so bad unless you are unfortunate enough to be assigned with a couple managers/scrummasters that are arrogant and clueless. Of course they are full time employees.

I was a contractor and they have no problem lying/making up junk to end your contract. These people are without any morals or honor. Watch your back.

Long story short, if you're a contractor, don't tick off your scrummaster or manager. They will make up a bunch of junk and roll you off the project. You are disposable.

I had nicknames for the guys on my "team" (in name only.) Butt-Kisser, Back-Stabber, and BS'er. Good luck. Oh yeah, it appears that if you're of the Mormon faith you will be looked at first for a full time job.
Productive work environment
Planning/Scheduling Dispatcher (Current Employee), Salem, ORAugust 18, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: long commute
Provide efficient dispatching of 65 Transmission and Distribution line crews company wide and contract crews. Includes planning, coordinating, scheduling and Dispatching line crews for overhead and underground projects. Determine job priorities and coordinate third party equipment and services to support crew activities; flagging, locating, other utilities to complete the job. Ensure crews have adequate work with them at all times. Communicate work status with General Line Foreman, Engineers and Service Designers. Fill in for Scheduler/Planner as needed. Work long shifts during storms and major outages. Thorough knowledge State Tariff, Construction Standards, Service Requirements, Line Department policies and procedures, IBEW Union procedures.
PGE is horrible place to work!
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 21, 2012
Cons: too many to list!
Set your watch back 50 years to an old fashioned 'command and control' model where the only thing that gets done is what's on 'leadership's' score card. Trust me, the spirit of Enron is alive and well at PGE. Forget innovation, the environment, the rate payers, and all the other BS you see on the PGE's TV commercials. This place a horrible, horrible place to work.
More opportunity
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Tualatin, OregonJune 7, 2012
Pge overall is a great company, currently in customer service there strategies are little behind industry standard. They are working hard to get there.
not a good atmosphere to work in
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 14, 2012
Cons: all of the employees are watched, by management through, cell phone and vehicle tracking
one of the worst company I have ever worked for.
the management sucks...now one is driving the boat and it has no direction...