Portland Public Schools Employee Reviews

Love working and collaborating with colleagues!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 4, 2017
After my initial hiring the entire staff became involved with a Writing project. Authors were brought in to encourage and instruct us. It was a quick way for me to bond with my colleagues. For several days we worked together to improve our writings skills and become better teachers of writing.

I taught Special education for many years and enjoyed working with a diverse group of students and educators. I learned as much as the students did.

Good Special ed teachers are hard to come by and my principals always gave me great reviews but did not want to lose me even to another classroom with the building.

I look forward to again working with a professional, supportive group of educators where I can share my love of teaching.
Pros
Lots of useful training. Loved collaborating with my colleagues.
Cons
Found it difficult to get out of teaching Special Education and have a regular classroom.
Portland provided me with some of the best professional development.
Literacy Coach (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineNovember 9, 2017
I worked for the Portland Public School district for 14 years. Within that time I was able to attend some amazing PD sessions offered by the district in addition to attending some of the highest level of training through Teachers College at Columbia as part of my PD as a literacy coach.
Pros
Professional development, high quality teachers.
Cons
Moral was low. Teachers were overworked.
Not about kids
Confidential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 13, 2017
PPS has lost its way and forgotten about the children that are in their care. There are lousy managers who can't make decisions and worry too much about feelings. It's a depressing place to work and entitlement is rampant. Equity is a joke, but their main focus.
Pros
Great benefiLt package and vacation accrual.
Cons
Lousy managers; no follow up or ability to have tough conversations with employees.
Great place to work, but the gap of under privileged and wealthy needs to shrink
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 3, 2017
Working in a title 1 school is draining. It can be hard to turn off from the day and find time to take care of yourself. It has rewarding moments, but often is emotionally draining.
Rewarding experience
SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 3, 2017
The first school I worked at..the teachers were great as was the principal. The second school, there was a bit more micromanagement and less flexibility. However, working with the children was wonderful and I would not trade the experience. .
Pros
Benefits, off early enough to run errands and attend night school
Cons
Pay
Good place to Work
Good management
Good people
Good pay
Good
The work is its own reward.
Education Technician III (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 23, 2017
I will speak to the issue of job advancement: after 7 years as a Substitute Teacher I developed a relationship with one special school in particular. When an opening became available there as an Ed Tech I got the job. I worked in that position 8 years. I gravitated towards certain grades, worked well with teachers and excelled at teaching/working with certain subjects, and so my devotion, excitement and commitment grew and grew with the passing years.

Job security/advancement potential for an Ed Tech is low however, and eventually with a different Principal and staff was suddenly moved and placed into gaps and duties that were for me "counter intuitive". The resulting ripple-effect poor culture became a burden. For an Ed Tech there is no advancement or security: work as hard and with as much devotion as you may but you shall receive no security or advancement. You must truly be there to help students. Quite simply I was moved into an area of work that was no longer productive, and so the gradual accumulation of accomplishment and pride in my contributions was gone. I miss my co-workers and the students more than words can say; I believe it was the greatest work I have ever done, the best job I ever had, but alas, unsustainable without acknowledgement of my personal strengths or the respect that should come with years of dedication and excellence.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
No potential for acquiring/developing professional respect
Too much change in Portland Public School administration and curricuum.
Substitute ELL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 22, 2017
Very little administrative consistency in Portland Public Schools. Change in administrators seems to be an annual occurrence. This creates an unstable environment for employees, and, in turn, students.
Awesome District!
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 21, 2017
Similar to any teaching position, the Portland Public Schools has its issues with administration and politics. However, the staff and students make it all worth it! The Portland School District, the largest in the State of Maine, is fantastically diverse and a wonderful community of learners and educators. I highly recommend working for PPS.
Pros
Great community, diverse learners, new challenges daily.
Cons
Average teaching cons: unappreciated, politics etc.
Pps
Translator/Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 8, 2017
The hardest part of my job was to maintain good lines of communication with the main office and the individual schools. We used email rather than text messages. Having a smartphone, made it easier it is to meet up with students and their families.
Great district
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 2, 2017
I really enjoyed being a para for PPSD. It was rewarding and I had a lot of support from the teachers and principal at the school. It was also great to be part of a school community.
Good place to work for personal growth and guiding children to be successful
Substitute Classroom Teacher - Elementary (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2017
A great place to work to provide nurturing and knowledge to children and to grow in the field of education. Portland Public Schools does a good job in providing professional development to help the staff grow. Overall I enjoyed the experience. I am speaking to my full time regular position. Substitutes have other challenges- clear lesson plans, student information, and organized sub folders are a few.
Pros
collaborative working environment and the students as well as professional developement
Cons
lack of support of building administrators, overloaded exoectations
ExAcademy Leader (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for ExAcademy, it's just too bad that the program shut down. The school we were located at was a great school with great staff and the PTA was awesome.
Cons
Program shut down
Working in Oregon Public Schools
CAMPUS SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 5, 2017
Working as a security officer in both junior high and high schools was fast paced.Working with kids and keeping them safe was at times fun and at times challenging. Breaking up fights, keeping the hallways clear and helping with discipline were some of the duties performed. The good times were when I worked the extracurricular events. I also enjoyed coaching the kids during this time.
Pros
Building relationships and coaching
Cons
Watching out for negativity
good place to work
interpreter (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 18, 2017
friendly area to work with multiple nationalities,
it's the variety that makes my job so enjoyable and to meet and deal with a lot of people
but it not full time and it just temporary work
Exciting to pioneer a new program and make changes that had a positive impact on childrens lives.
Intervention aide (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2017
Worked with a rewards program to entice students and their behavior. Always looking for guest speakers,field trip places,new material and tweaking a new program.
passionate for the kids, at times management is very unprofessional
Avid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 1, 2017
what i did learn from this occupation is the delay in being urgent and deliberate. I have also learned many many people have different objectives regarding school
Pros
children
Cons
co workers are a bit rude
Great group of teachers to work with.
Long Term Substitute Teacher 2nd grade (Current Employee) –  Portland, MIMay 1, 2017
Great team to work with, good support system, overall great atmosphere, supportive parents, easy staff to work with, guidelines pretty clear, medium sized building
Pros
Close to home, great experience
Cons
Lot of work little pay
Its a public school.
School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 27, 2017
Great first receptionist job. A typical day was checking in students and doing attendance and ensuring students were entered sick with a deadline of 9 am to ensure the parents didn't get called. Administering medication to students, being a nurse when the nurse wasn't there. Maintain student records, liaison between staff, maintain office equipment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad Office Politics
great
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2017
Great locations in Portland Oregon. The working hours start differently according to different schools but the official hour is a standard hour.
Culture of the work place is diverse. Stuff are supportive.