Portland State University Employee Reviews

Not a typical job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 27, 2017
My work was for my academic advisor, so it was atypical for employment. I entered and performed initial analysis of historic water level data for the Columbia River.
Student job was good
GIS Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2017
I only worked as a student worker for a professor working on a research project. Overall a great experience and the pay was amazing for only doing it a couple days a week.
Lots of smart, capable colleagues
Web Communications Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2017
During my 15 years at Portland State, I worked in only two departments, both of which offered me a lot of autonomy to shape the work I did on a daily basis. While I loved the flexibility of that, I didn't always have good direction from managers when I wanted it, so I floundered a bit making improvements where I could see they were needed. I met many smart, caring, funny, and creative staff in my own and other departments and that was a definite highlight, providing incentive to work hard to contribute in a similar vein.
Good people cultivating great ideas
co-instructor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 23, 2016
As a student and an instructor my experience at PSU allowed me a unique perspective on the institution. So many wonderful people with so many fantastic ideas eager to help others.
Pros
Work with meaning
Cons
Of course it doesn't pay very well
Fun work enivronment
Financial Aid Counselor of Student Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2016
My time at Portland State University was very positive. I found the diversity of the institution to be both vibrant and welcoming. I enjoyed and learned a great deal from almost everyone.
A continuous learning envirnoment that is fast paced, hard work and fun
Budget Analyst, Finance & Administration (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 20, 2016
A typical day consists of working on multiple projects and doing several analysis, meetings, communication with others throughout the university, training and serving others, and working on continuous process improvement. Every day you are learning something new as information is always shared with the team.

The management is very good about listening to new ideas, giving autonomy, investing in professional development and giving support. My co-workers are all great to work with in a team environment and continuously work on cross training. Each person works hard and still engages in bringing fun into the office.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes the deadlines for new projects that come up have a very short turn around time, however with the support of co-workers and a great manager the project always gets accomplished and you are never in it alone.

The best part of the job is knowing that I am serving others and producing quality deliverables in a changing environment to the decision makers in the university; making a positive difference in lives of the students.
Pros
flexibility in work schedules, teamwork, benefits, professional development
Engaging and exciting work
Development, PSU Foundation (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 12, 2016
I really enjoy this mission driven work and supporting a cause bigger than myself. Love to share my thoughts, passions, and interests will supporters as they share with me theirs.
Student job
Technology Services Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 15, 2016
Good place to work when you're a student. Management was not the greatest and there was a lot of bureaucracy. I would only recommend if your are in school and have no other options.
Excellent learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 9, 2016
I worked for three moths in an academic setting as a research assistant to a professor of Economics that was conducting research into the disparities in the health care system associated with race and ethnicity..
This was a marvelous learning experience that sowed me how difficult data collection and manipulation can be. I got hands on training in the use of statistical packages, like SAS, which is priceless.
Overall, this was a great opportunity, and I could not be happier with what we accomplished and the amount of work that was associated with this.
Supportive and encouraging environment for student researchers
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 21, 2016
I was awarded a graduate research assistant position while attending grad school at Portland State University. I was able to continue my assistantship throughout my entire time in school. This position was very intellectually challenging, but my adviser and other professors were extremely supportive. I was able to learn many technical skills, particularly in terms of GIS, statistics, programming, and making graphics for professional publication.

Want to know more about Portland State University?

Ask a question
Awesome school
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2016
- Located downtown with all access
- Many events
- Advanced Labs
- Good On-Campus Part time opportunities
- Challenging projects
- excellent graduate school
Pros
Good Labs, Experienced Professors
Great work atmosphere
Member Services (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 6, 2016
Staff and coworkers are wonderful. Very positive environment. Never a dreadful day when going into work. This is very much a team and like-minded community. Support from everywhere if you seek it.
Decent place to work that allows me to participate in outside activities
Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 28, 2016
Busy in the morning with mail and phone calls. Phones remain steady in the afternoon, but tasks are often left unmanaged depending on which coordinator is available.
I have learned how to be a self-motivated and directed individual who often has to work on tasks on my own.
Often times management can be non-existent, which has allowed me to come up with jobs and tasks on my own.
My co-workers are lovely individuals who have allowed me to enjoy working with a team.
Coming up with tasks on my own and feeling like I do not have proper management.
The schedule and benefits are the best part of the job.
Pros
Schedule, benefits, self directed work, team building
Cons
Pay, lack of management
Great work enviroment, good coworkers.
Prep Cook/Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 9, 2016
Portland State University is a nice place to work. They have a great environment and the workers are nice people who are easy to get along with. I learned a lot of different ways to become quicker at prepping certain items.
Efficient and friendly place for all students, staff and faculty
Grant Teacher Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 5, 2016
The environment is safe and friendly, there is always some to speak to if you need help with anything (knowing what you need or knowing where you need to go). Responses are quick and effective, also very understanding. Time management is key otherwise, it can feel overwhelming.
A fun place to work
Sound Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 29, 2016
I was the sound equipment manager for a work study job for the department of music. A typical day at work was hauling, storing and setting up sound equipment for the PEP band ,I also played in. My co workers all worked as a team to produce good sound. The hardest part of my job was the physical labor it required from hauling equipment. The most enjoyable part of my job is when i got to sit down and play in the band.
Pros
The hours worked well with school.
Cons
The job was only during the school term, and also the pay was by the gig, and was inconsistent.
A great place to work!
Assistant Director of Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2016
A civic minded, public service focused great place to work! This is the largest, most diverse public university in the Oregon University System.
Pros
The university is right in the heart of a great city
Cons
Compensation could be higher when compared to similar jobs
Relaxed and fun environment
Kiosk Attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 17, 2016
This is a customer service/retail job without the "store". Depending on where you are working, you can and do deal with customers and taking money.

The office staff are amazing and friendly. They are supportive and fun to be around. The management are great but can be too relaxed sometimes.

The only thing i can say i didn't enjoy was getting paid once a month. Besides that, the only reason I am leaving is because I am graduating
What I learned
Grader (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2016
During my course of work as a grader at PSU I grew more as a professional in terms of team management and also on how to answer to various queries posed by the students regrading their assignments to be written in Python. It also helped me gain more insight into learning new concepts in Python and how to debug the program.
Relaxing work place as a supervisor that conformors to school schedule
Building Supervisor Campus Rec Center (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2015
Was an overall good experience as a supervisor, Being older there was no room for advancement which was something I always want in a job so that I will always search for a goal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portland State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2