Portland State University

Portland State University Employee Reviews

Satisfying teaching environment with great student diversity
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Portland, OregonMay 19, 2015
Pros: independence and challenging environment
Cons: none
This university has great collegial support and resources, terrific community based learning opportunities, and a wide arena for collaboration.
Great facilities,great education resource,great help
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 15, 2015
When I developing some applications,I met some trouble.Professor is very patient and teach me step by step,inspire me to find the answer myself.This is a great time for me to study in PSU, and it make me feel free to ask questions.After that ,I solve the problem and I like to program and cooperate with teammates much more than before.
learning center
Computer Science Tutor (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 7, 2015
Cons: increase the wage
Nice culture
Flexible work schedule
Working with smart folks, will handle touch homework questions
Innovative research conducted by top experts in the field of Psychology
Project Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 6, 2015
While work-life balance may suffer, you will learn and do more exciting research on psychosocial determinants of health and well-being here than you would anywhere else. The faculty in the Psychology Department are world-reknown, and the staff are unbelievably supportive and kind.
Effectively, efficiently and professionally
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 17, 2015
Typically, I did research on my own project which was the reaction between a substance of amino acid in acidic environment. This is also called research on kinetic reaction mechanism. To understand deeply how the substance effected on our body, especially the metabolism system. Overall, understanding how the activity of the substance would help scientists to control the level of intake medicines and control the acidity or base of surrounded environment.
Typical government office misbehavior
Revenue Agent (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: excellent public employee benefits package
Cons: low compensation, troubled overall culture
The quality of your career at PSU is highly dependent on if you are in a department with an effective management staff. If the team is functional and supportive, it can be a solid working experience.
Interesting Job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: increased my knowledge on the subject
Responsibilities include mentoring students with their assignments and projects; preparing the answer keys and grading assignments. Enjoyed working with students in resolving their issues on the subject.
Work Study
Library Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: flexiable schedule
Cons: most likely you will spend all your income for tution
People are nice in campus and you can know lots of friend while you are working in there. And schedule are flexiable if you are taken classes too.
Best part were the students
Advisor (Former Employee), Portland, OregonJanuary 6, 2015
The students were absolutely the best part of the job. Getting to know each of the students and watching them grow and learn was very rewarding.
Instructor (Former Employee), Portland, OregonJanuary 4, 2015
Sure. The salary was low and the hours were long, but what's not to love about being in a university environment surrounded by brilliant minds? It was one of my favorite jobs ever except that it didn't help much with the house payment.
Writing research proposals and publishing scientific papers
Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Portland, ORDecember 27, 2014
Spend most of time to do experiments, analyze data, tutor graduate students,write proposals and publish scientific papers.

During the four-year of Postdoc research, i accumulated extensive research experiences in the interdisciplinary areas between Synthesis, Modification, Fabrication & Application of carbon-based materials, such as graphene and carbon nanotubes,

The hardest part is writing proposals to be funded. The most enjoyable part is publishing high-ranking journal paper.
Disregard for Adjuncts
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Current Employee), Portland, ORNovember 13, 2014
Pros: autonomy in the classroom
Cons: never know if i have a job or not until the very, very last minute.
Have you ever been told just 3 days before your quarter starts that "sorry we have to give your class to someone else due to budget cuts". What about the 20 hours I spent preparing for the class?

What's worse is that they did it again for Spring 2015. I had already started to prepare for the course and surprise! The chair used the old budget cuts excuse again.

Pay is really, really low. Students expect a lot...if they only knew.
It is a good place to work
Backend Developer (Current Employee), Portland, OROctober 19, 2014
PDX is a good school with a good professor. I only work with myself and I have my own company in the Research Lab.
Student employee
Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, OregonOctober 3, 2014
A typical day at work would include arriving early and answering any questions students have prior to class, during class educating students on physical and psychological aspects of Self-defense, and after class discussing difficulties with students who request my ear.
Fun place to work.
PAYROLL ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good benefits.
I learned a lot at PSU. My job taught me how to take initiative and willingness to take on new things. I performed more efficiently and am able to handle an increased work load. I feel qualified to accomplish every day duties with a high measure of confidence.

The most fun part is working with people who knows how to balance work and life. HR department, where I work is like a family. We care about each other.
Student Teacher
Student Teacher (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 22, 2014
I was a student teacher and ended the teachers I worked under. I learned how to work in a diverse environment with students ranging from 6th to 8th grade.
Best job as a student
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: tuition remission
Best way to refresh and share your knowledge. Best part is your tuition fee gets remitted and you will be given a monthly stipend.
good place , good professor
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: practice for communication
Cons: less time to take a break
I worked in 20 hrs per week. I learn how to communicate with student .
Good School
Advertising and Marketing Major (Former Employee), Portland, OrAugust 7, 2014
Good School, works well with life, lots of classes. Business school is a tough one but worth it.
Quiet workplace with coordinating people
Graduate Engineering Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 6, 2014
Pros: quiet
Cons: walls separate interaction
Everyday was quiet and productive as people continuously works. People communicates with others for any needs in work.

1 2 3