Portland State University Employee Reviews

As good as student work gets
Security Student Officer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 4, 2015
Do your job, don't expect to change the world or anything, just like any other student worker job. They were very accommodating of my class schedule.
Diverse and Fun Position at Portland State University
Personal assistant to Dr. Cornel Pewewardy (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 19, 2015
The campus is a great atmosphere. It's buzzing with driven students and dedicated faculty. During my time as Personal Assistant/Administrative Assistant to Professor Cornel Pewewardy for the School of Indigenous Nations, I gained basic office work flow and management. I helped walk ins, answered phones, scheduled meetings and appointments ran errands, managed office supply and inventory.
Pros
varying daily tasks
benefits
OPen Learning Environment
Math/ Science Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonNovember 1, 2015
I was responsible for designing math and science curriculum for high school student in the program. Typically I would start the day by working on curriculum and lesson planning for the afternoon. I would also find and arrange internships for individual students, I was also arrange summer learning opportunities for students with other TRIO programs at various colleges around the country. I would also meet with Juniors to assess their academic progress at their current schools, guide them through the college application process, and ensure they met the requirements for college entrance exams. I would teach math and science classes in the afternoons, as well as Test Preparation classes and content workshops on weekends. I found the wide range of responsibilities both challenging and rewarding, exposing me to a larger learning community.
Pros
Excellent opportunity to learn about a wide range of cultures and individual learning styles.
Cons
Dependent on federal funding
great school
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 1, 2015
meeting a lot of new people.
people are very nice, helping me a lot on study and the daily life.
I am very enjoying study in this school.
Great place to do research
Polymer-Dispersed Liquid Crystals Researcher (Former Employee) –  Portland ORSeptember 19, 2015
Great place to do research and take classes. Professors are helpful. The new science building is really nice. PSU also works with OHSU so the professors from OHSU are teaching at PSU as well.
Great place to meet new friends and learn on the spot
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 7, 2015
Great environment to learn and must be self-paced to complete the task at hand. Learn things on the spot and exposed to different areas of the field.
PSU is an awesome place to work
Administrative Program Specialist/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 3, 2015
It's always fun, excited, and full of surprise to work at PSU. The diverse culture and welcoming campus helped me to be a positive happy individual. It's hard to say good bye to them when I moved on to a different opportunity to challenge myself in different directions.
Professional but friendy
President, Black Cultural Affairs Board (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 20, 2015
The company went above and beyond to assist their clients. The company does all that it can to help, and when they can not help through their own resources they find resource that can help the client. Service is the focus of the company.
Pros
friendly and inviting atmosphere
Cons
busy environment so you often miss breaks
Only worked there with work-study.
Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 18, 2015
Loved the people I worked with and how kind and patient everyone was. Company culture is great and it is great to be working in the city.
Great campus and teachers
Recreation Sports Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 22, 2015
I worked as a referee for the intramurals at Portland State University for two years. It was a great job and I was able to work with a large group of people. Made tough decisions and had to be confident. I also worked in the recreational center and was a sports supervisor of clubs, students working out, and miscellaneous jobs.
Pros
part time worked well with school

Want to know more about Portland State University?

Ask a question
PSU is a wonderful place to work
Project Coordinator and Education Consultant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2015
I enjoyed working at PSU. The administration system was easy to navigate and the department I worked for was very supportive. I feel very fortunate to have worked for such a place that looks our for their employess. My supervisor has been a great mentor and has helped me grow professionally.
Diverse, Urban College
Adjunct Faculty/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonJune 3, 2015
Working at PSU was really the foundation of my professional skill and experience. It was there that I honed my teaching skills, and developed a process as a freelance editor and consultant.
Satisfying teaching environment with great student diversity
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonMay 19, 2015
This university has great collegial support and resources, terrific community based learning opportunities, and a wide arena for collaboration.
Pros
independence and challenging environment
Cons
Great facilities,great education resource,great help
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 15, 2015
When I developing some applications,I met some trouble.Professor is very patient and teach me step by step,inspire me to find the answer myself.This is a great time for me to study in PSU, and it make me feel free to ask questions.After that ,I solve the problem and I like to program and cooperate with teammates much more than before.
learning center
Computer Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 7, 2015
Nice culture
Flexible work schedule
Working with smart folks, will handle touch homework questions
Cons
increase the wage
Innovative research conducted by top experts in the field of Psychology
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 6, 2015
While work-life balance may suffer, you will learn and do more exciting research on psychosocial determinants of health and well-being here than you would anywhere else. The faculty in the Psychology Department are world-reknown, and the staff are unbelievably supportive and kind.
Effectively, efficiently and professionally
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 17, 2015
Typically, I did research on my own project which was the reaction between a substance of amino acid in acidic environment. This is also called research on kinetic reaction mechanism. To understand deeply how the substance effected on our body, especially the metabolism system. Overall, understanding how the activity of the substance would help scientists to control the level of intake medicines and control the acidity or base of surrounded environment.
Typical government office misbehavior
Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 17, 2015
The quality of your career at PSU is highly dependent on if you are in a department with an effective management staff. If the team is functional and supportive, it can be a solid working experience.
Pros
excellent public employee benefits package
Cons
low compensation, troubled overall culture
Interesting Job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 11, 2015
Responsibilities include mentoring students with their assignments and projects; preparing the answer keys and grading assignments. Enjoyed working with students in resolving their issues on the subject.
Pros
increased my knowledge on the subject
Work Study
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2015
People are nice in campus and you can know lots of friend while you are working in there. And schedule are flexiable if you are taken classes too.
Pros
flexiable schedule
Cons
most likely you will spend all your income for tution

4.2