Ports America Employee Reviews

Challenging fast pace environment and always learning new things.
Superintendent (Current Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 18, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: Long hours
Everyday has different challenges and you always learn something new about the job. I have learned that you have to be alert of your surroundings and keep on top of things as operations can change quickly. Management is very helpful and always there to help you succeed. Co-workers are great,they believe in teamwork and always lending a helping hand in what you need. The hardest part of the job is keeping that good relationship with labor. Labor is always changing and we see different faces everyday.What I have enjoyed the most about my job is to see and learn how operations are executed and learn the skills necessary to be successful.
Ports America
Marine Manager (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Solid colleagues.
Cons: Working with the ILWU.
A managers day at Ports America entails a lot of hard, mostly enjoyable work. Vessel scheduling, viewing inventories, strategically planning, enhancing safety procedures, and mentoring terminal staff are daily functions. I have worked with other senior managers to build a staff of 20+ front line managers that cohesively work together to accomplish company goals. The most challenging part of being a stevedore can be getting a job done through union labor. It can be draining at times but at the end of the day when you see the vessel sail after a safe productive shift, it can be very gratifying.
No work/life balance
Marine Superintendent (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 9, 2015
Cons: No home life.
After working several consecutive 18 hour shifts, they expect you to come in the next day even though there is no work for that day.
Very Unsatisfied
management (Former Employee), oakland, caApril 15, 2015
Pros: starting salary
Cons: ungrateful management
After working for this company for many years and in many locations, one constant theme is fly by the seat management. You are immediately in the click or not...and quite honestly, being in the click has no merit to your ability to perform your job duties. Every terminal and every department I worked in was dysfunctional and full of conflict. Labor is always placed before management job/life balance. I now work for a great Fortune 200 company with great coworkers and wish I would have opened my eyes many years earlier that my personality would have never been successful at Ports America. Ironically my personality is very successful where I presently work. The only reason to work for this company is starting salaries, if and only if you can put up with all the difficulties work working for them. Days are very long and predominately unrewarding as hard work is seldom recognized.
Productive and Fun
Intern: Superintendant/ Marine, Rail, Yard Ports (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAMarch 19, 2015
My role at Ports America was an Intern role where we learned how to manage union workers and plan operation for the day. A day on the Port consisted of planning operations and communication between laborers to be sure what was planned is ran correctly and smoothly. Relationships between management and laborers was vital to the daily operations. I learned how to plan operations accordingly and deal with any mishaps within operations to make sure the end result is what was planned. Co-workers were encouraging throughout my intern process and made me believe that I can one day become a superintendant/manager. Management was also encouraging. The hardest part of my experience were the long hours. There was no telling when a day would end being that the shipping operation never stops. The most enjoyable part of this opportunity was being able to experience the time on the ports. The sights of the ships, containers, and machinery were something I never would have thought I'd see in my life.
Dysfunctional Management team
Claims Admin (Former Employee), ChandlerMarch 6, 2015
Pros: You have a job
Cons: Management
Management and leadership here are the worst ever seen. Senior Leader uses threats and intimidation on employees and middle management almost daily. HR is weak and does nothing to protect its employees. Mid mangers have no training on how to appropriately manage and are very gossipy and self-involved. No professionalism in the department at all. Female employees are treated horribly unless your willingly to provide favors! Its a complete "boys club" mentality!
DO NOT accept an offer from Ports America
Claim Admin (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: none - time off
Cons: horrible management, no policy/process followed, horrible system, very unorganized
I worked in the Baltimore Office for 4 months as a claim admin. The manager was an alcoholic who came to work late with hangovers often. You are treated very disrespectfully and as if you are nothing to the company. Management has a very HIGH ego and uses it to threaten or get what they want even if its just power. The system is disfunctional and very much useless. They use OUTLOOK for all bills, and correspondence related to the claim. They are VERY behind and get several complaints and threats from vendors and claimants due to lack of payment or accuracy. There are employees who get away with treating people/claimants horribly over the phone using cuss words, disrespect, and very rude language. There is NO process and everyone does what they want when they want to. This is the worst job I have ever had in my life!!! I am not exagerating, in fact, im being very nice. In the short 4 months I was there, they lost 4 employees in the department of Workers comp claims all under 1 manager.... BIG turnover rates. Dont give notice, they will just fire you and be sure to ignore you until they call you in the "office". I complained to HR and have taken this beyond just resignation. Please dont waste your time with this company.
Boring and behind the times
Data Entry (Former Employee), Chandler, AZJanuary 10, 2015
Management does not want to improve its processes. Could be more efficient.
Flexible
Port Watchman (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 15, 2014
This company assist it's in employees with flexible schedules.
GOOD
Marine Superintendent (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: great experiance and good 401k
Cons: hard to have a life outside of work due to the changing schedule
A typical day we shape labor for vessel operations to load or discharge cargo vessels. On any given day you may be in charge of 30 to 100 workers. Hardest part of the job is managing different personalities, and making quick decisions as well as long hours in the weather. I love the constant challenge of my job everyday you have a new ship with new challenges. I also love being able to be the leader and I have seen my self grow as one.
Good stable employer.
Account Representative (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: good family environment
Cons: having to deal with the union, which comes with the territory
I had a positive experience working for them. I left in good terms.
Good company
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Savannah, GAAugust 31, 2014
Dynamic and fun workplace. But, the hours are long. Good benefits and growth opportunities. Excellent continuing education programs.
Great Job with Opportunity
Marine Superintendent III (Current Employee), Newark, NJAugust 12, 2014
Lots of action if you want to be in shipping operations. You will learn a lot.
Fast pace Friendly working environment
Billion Sales Annually (Former Employee), Roslyn, New YorkAugust 4, 2014
Working for Ports America was a very fun experience, as I learned a lot about customer service skills as well as human resources. The co-workers here were extremely friendly and helpful. Everybody worked efficiently and treated each other as well as customers as equals which has always been important for me when looking for employment.
Great People and Consistant Day to Day
Worker (Current Employee), Chandler, AZJune 8, 2014
Pros: 40 hour work week
Cons: erratic workflow and no advancement opportunities
The company overall is a great place to work. Great benefits. Not too much overtime. Do not expect advancement.
Steer Away
Billing Specialist II (Former Employee), Chandler, AZJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: management, atmosphere
The benefits and pay are great! However, no amount of money is worth what you have to put up with. Micro managing supervisors and managers. An HR dept. that really doesn't care about the "regular" workers and always sides with the management. Getting harassment from your supervisor almost on a daily bases. I would not recommend this company to anyone....ever.
good company to work for
Port Civil Engineer - Project Manager (Current Employee), Newark, NJDecember 11, 2013
Provided a lot of independence. Opportunity to learn beyond job descriptions.
Good pay and benefits
Support (Current Employee), Chandler, AZNovember 8, 2013
Good pay and benefits. Work / life balance has improved greatly over the last few years.
Never a dull moment in transportation
Operation Manager (Current Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 22, 2013
• Responsible for the leadership, achievement and development of operational and financial goals and objectives.
• Ensures high levels of safety, productivity, customer service and efficiency in all areas of the Terminal and/or Marine Operations.
• Ensure safe, efficient and productive planning and execution of operating plans, regularly auditing successes and failures related to such plans and establishes corrective actions accordingly.
• Sets the standard and is held accountable for the direction, supervision and development of Terminal/Marine Operations and for keeping Senior Management informed of operational deficiencies, offering suggestions and plans for improvement.
• Responsible for an approximate $12 million annual labor expenses which includes, ordering, planning and managing union labor on various shifts within budgeted guidelines.
• Develop and maintain positive customer port relations by understanding customer needs, terms and conditions of contracts, developing plans to meet those needs and ensuring that yard, gate, marine and rail personnel demonstrate appropriate customer service principles at all times.
• Enforce area accident prevention/safety and workers’ compensation programs and procedures.
• Implementation of new processes, procedures and technologies into the workplace, including the administration of all supporting operational or procedural modifications related to port operations.
• Ensure all company policies, procedures and controls are understood and followed and reports are completed accurately and submitted in a timely fashion to the appropriate employees, customers and other personal as appropriate.
Great money but very dangerous
Stevedore (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCOctober 4, 2013
Great hourly pay. No benefits. No job security. PT only. Work was either feast or famine. Management was not all that great.