Ports America Employee Reviews

Company recongnizes it's employers good place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 22, 2016
This company is a good place to work, people are nice, the company recognizes it employees, benefits are good. There is always something new to learn here and opportunity to grow.
Pros
The people here are great to work with
Cons
The hours
Great Company
Network Engineer/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 26, 2016
Great company to work for. Compensation is not great and advancement is slow if your not in management. But you do get a sense that they care about all their employees. Great benefits, great place to work.
Pros
Amazing Healthcare
Cons
Moderate Compensation
Terrible Company to work for
Marine Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 24, 2016
Lack of concern for their employees and their families. They work you until you can no longer do anything else. Micro management is what they base their management skills off of.
Very stable company; great management
SVP and Chief Accounting Officer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 13, 2016
This is a 5-star employer. The work is hard and the rewards are great. The team spirit is strong and the corporate leadership is unsurpassed.
in flux
Worker (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 15, 2016
a volitile industry ever changing and unpredictable. Your job is only as solid as the execs ability to gain more business if not then you are at risk.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
work life balance
Fun and comfortable work environment.
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 9, 2016
Co workers and management are east to work with and work hard to make sure employees are happy and comfortable.
Everyone is always willing to go the extra mile and management is very east to talk to.
Very productive with good work culture
Senior Oracle Apps Techno Functional Lead (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 28, 2016
I'm pleases to be part of this Team and company and very productive with good work culture.
it is middle scale company with lot of integration with the other 3rd party systems.
Awful
Adjustor (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CADecember 31, 2015
Top heavy to say the least. Very disorganized operation. Very high turnover. Everybody quits or gets canned within short order.
Largest Stevedore in the Americas
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Terminal Island, CAOctober 20, 2015
Good company to work for with great staff. Have come leaps and bounds in regards to developing employees from entry level to upper management.
Pros
Great salaries/benefits
Cons
Ability to move up beyond middle management
Nice company to work for.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CASeptember 29, 2015
Set up the letters. Confirm with staff the plan for the day. Communicate the plan with labor. Trouble shoot any issues that come up. Accurately report the shift total moves and or issues.
Ports Anerica provides a platform for training in transportation
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2015
Worked hard for safe and productive improvements and received little compensation. Terminal level management seems more concerned with job security than creating best product for customer. Upper management needs to approve all decisions which builds an environment where all is micro-managed.
Pros
Good medical and 401K
Cons
Salary is not very competitive in this area.
Too much uncertainty
SENIOR MANAGER - BI / SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2015
too much uncertainty. too much power given to one man with too little knowledge. allowed to decimate the company with now checks and balances in place to keep that from happening.

over 100 highly experienced back office people were lost because of this. Too many for such a small back off.
Challenging fast pace environment and always learning new things.
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 18, 2015
Everyday has different challenges and you always learn something new about the job. I have learned that you have to be alert of your surroundings and keep on top of things as operations can change quickly. Management is very helpful and always there to help you succeed. Co-workers are great,they believe in teamwork and always lending a helping hand in what you need. The hardest part of the job is keeping that good relationship with labor. Labor is always changing and we see different faces everyday.What I have enjoyed the most about my job is to see and learn how operations are executed and learn the skills necessary to be successful.
Pros
Good benefits
Ports America
Marine Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 28, 2015
A managers day at Ports America entails a lot of hard, mostly enjoyable work. Vessel scheduling, viewing inventories, strategically planning, enhancing safety procedures, and mentoring terminal staff are daily functions. I have worked with other senior managers to build a staff of 20+ front line managers that cohesively work together to accomplish company goals. The most challenging part of being a stevedore can be getting a job done through union labor. It can be draining at times but at the end of the day when you see the vessel sail after a safe productive shift, it can be very gratifying.
Pros
Solid colleagues.
Cons
Working with the ILWU.
No work/life balance
Marine Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 9, 2015
After working several consecutive 18 hour shifts, they expect you to come in the next day even though there is no work for that day.
Cons
No home life.
Very Unsatisfied
management (Former Employee) –  oakland, caApril 15, 2015
After working for this company for many years and in many locations, one constant theme is fly by the seat management. You are immediately in the click or not...and quite honestly, being in the click has no merit to your ability to perform your job duties. Every terminal and every department I worked in was dysfunctional and full of conflict. Labor is always placed before management job/life balance. I now work for a great Fortune 200 company with great coworkers and wish I would have opened my eyes many years earlier that my personality would have never been successful at Ports America. Ironically my personality is very successful where I presently work. The only reason to work for this company is starting salaries, if and only if you can put up with all the difficulties work working for them. Days are very long and predominately unrewarding as hard work is seldom recognized.
Pros
starting salary
Cons
ungrateful management
Productive and Fun
Intern: Superintendant/ Marine, Rail, Yard Ports (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 19, 2015
My role at Ports America was an Intern role where we learned how to manage union workers and plan operation for the day. A day on the Port consisted of planning operations and communication between laborers to be sure what was planned is ran correctly and smoothly. Relationships between management and laborers was vital to the daily operations. I learned how to plan operations accordingly and deal with any mishaps within operations to make sure the end result is what was planned. Co-workers were encouraging throughout my intern process and made me believe that I can one day become a superintendant/manager. Management was also encouraging. The hardest part of my experience were the long hours. There was no telling when a day would end being that the shipping operation never stops. The most enjoyable part of this opportunity was being able to experience the time on the ports. The sights of the ships, containers, and machinery were something I never would have thought I'd see in my life.
Dysfunctional Management team
Claims Admin (Former Employee) –  ChandlerMarch 6, 2015
Management and leadership here are the worst ever seen. Senior Leader uses threats and intimidation on employees and middle management almost daily. HR is weak and does nothing to protect its employees. Mid mangers have no training on how to appropriately manage and are very gossipy and self-involved. No professionalism in the department at all. Female employees are treated horribly unless your willingly to provide favors! Its a complete "boys club" mentality!
Pros
You have a job
DO NOT accept an offer from Ports America
Claim Admin (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 23, 2015
I worked in the Baltimore Office for 4 months as a claim admin. The manager was an alcoholic who came to work late with hangovers often. You are treated very disrespectfully and as if you are nothing to the company. Management has a very HIGH ego and uses it to threaten or get what they want even if its just power. The system is disfunctional and very much useless. They use OUTLOOK for all bills, and correspondence related to the claim. They are VERY behind and get several complaints and threats from vendors and claimants due to lack of payment or accuracy. There are employees who get away with treating people/claimants horribly over the phone using cuss words, disrespect, and very rude language. There is NO process and everyone does what they want when they want to. This is the worst job I have ever had in my life!!! I am not exagerating, in fact, im being very nice. In the short 4 months I was there, they lost 4 employees in the department of Workers comp claims all under 1 manager.... BIG turnover rates. Dont give notice, they will just fire you and be sure to ignore you until they call you in the "office". I complained to HR and have taken this beyond just resignation. Please dont waste your time with this company.
Pros
NONE - time off
Cons
Horrible management, no policy/process followed, horrible system, very unorganized
Boring and behind the times
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 10, 2015
Management does not want to improve its processes. Could be more efficient.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ports America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8