Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews

productive and a fun work place with great vibes.
Associate/ Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 28, 2017
Its a really good job overall with a lot of business with decent hours. On a regular day, its Very busy with lots of catering orders and seamless deliveries from about 9am until 2pm then it slows down. From this job i have learned a lot about costumer service and how to be more of a people person. The management here is pretty good, everyone does what there suppose to do while enforcing rules and regulations. There isn't really a hard part about this job its pretty calm. The most enjoyable thing about this job is the great staff and friendly vibes, everyone makes you feel right at home.
Pros
50% Discount on anything from the Store.
Horrible
PREFER NOT TO SAY (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2017
I was told when I was hired that your job only had you work 50 hours per week. I worked about 11-12 hours every day. Potbelly cares nothing about the associates or the managers. Money was all they cared about.
The GM and the AM were scheduled in a position at peak times. How do you manage while you are making sandwiches?
The employees are horribly treated and are looking for other work. While I was there 4 employees quit at once.
Tell me how bad the employee retention rate is.
DO NOT WORK HERE OR REFER ANYONE
Pros
NONE
A first class dive with great sandwiches, soups, salads and shakes
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2017
I learned to have a lot of patience and that every customer is different. I enjoyed meeting people from different countries and cultures. The workplace is what you make it, but that doesn't mean everything will go smoothly or perfectly everyday. The hardest part of the job is keeping youself in good spirits when you encounter several rude customers in rapid succession.
Pros
Discounted food, possibility of growth, provides uniform, works with schedules
Cons
Inexperienced management, unprofessional employees, frequent call outs
great mix of personalities and very productive work environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2017
my manager wasn't the greatest but i loved that the district manager made it a priority to show up every month or two and sit down with all of us and asks us how we are doing. He would take any complain we had seriously and take action right away. I loved everyone's personality and how the work place was so diverse. As a leader you pretty much set the tone for the work place so it was great to know everyone loved working with me. The hardest part of the job was taking inventory. I learned how to take criticism, learned how to give criticism and also learned how to be a great leader.
Pros
They encouraged you to be yourself
Potbelly is a joke
Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 7, 2017
Let me start by saying, I was made a lot of promises in the beginning, that were broken. This company is big on integrity, and making people really happy, yet upper management couldn't care any less about you, and the store managers I worked with are pretty much the same. I had numerous ideas that were shot down, that would actually work. From being harassed, verbally abused, accused of stealing among other things, it's not worth it, and they don't pay managers enough anyway. There are way better restaurant companies out there, trust me, that you know you'll have success in. Not this one though. Run while you can!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Rushed breaks, low management pay, bi-polar management, no growth.
Great place to start your career in management
Asistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Typical days start at 7am and end at 5pm or later, worked with great crew to make the best lunch in Plano. Management was sub par, not a lot of support once you became assistant or general manager but there were a lot of chances for advancement within the company with a great training program. I enjoyed the customers and being a part of the community with fundraising . Potbelly was very big on the Potbelly Culture, when hired you learn all about the history and the Potbelly Advantage.
Pros
Free lunch, fun atmosphere, great benefits, and job advancement
Cons
short to no breaks for 10 hour shifts
Has potential to grow with the right management team
Certified Trainer/Marketing Lead/Catering (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMarch 8, 2017
The location has struggled with management and rebooting the store. Short staffed and falling short of rebuilding relationships with costumers.The enjoyable part is the few employees that work hard together as a team and have been with the company for a while in hopes of a turn around.The hard part is the lack of staff and trying to meet catering customers needs and in store customer needs to the best standards. The staff that has time invested has a great relationship with regular customers down to knowing what toppings they want,sandwiches and the little details to make them feel special which I love about the place.
Pros
free lunch, regular customers
Cons
no breaks, short staff
Productive and a fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 31, 2017
Working for Potbelly has been an honor. The energy was always positive. Coworkers were always friendly and a joy to work with. The hardest parts are when we sometimes don't communicate during the busiest rush. That can easily be worked on. The most enjoyable park of the job is when everyone is all working hard and still have a smile on our faces. The management was excellent! Made sure the team was well put together and made sure things were done in a timely manner.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Short or no breaks and communication needs to be worked on
A lively workplace with a great vibe
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, TXJanuary 18, 2017
The work is often nonstop - don't think you'll ever get a chance to sit down. I had ample opportunities to hone my customer service skills. The management and training were spotty at times, but my coworkers were the best part of the job. You can never entirely escape the Potbelly family. The hardest part of the job is remembering to be polite to customers who act like you're something stuck on the bottom of their shoe.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
No breaks and short shifts
Great Company
Certified Trainer/Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 22, 2017
When I was hired at Potbelly I wasn't sure about how I was going to like the job, now I love it. A typical day is pretty laid back, even though there are big lunch rushes. The big bosses were all very nice and helping when they were at our shop. I love the atmosphere that Potbelly brings to lunch and food in general. I love the company and my boss and coworkers. Sad to be moving and leaving them behind.
Fun, energetic workplace with great food and vibes.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2017
A really cool place to work or just to hang out. It does get fast paced during busy lunches and events but it's all worth it. Benefits offered to management and full time/ long term employees. Decent store hours. Salary for assistant management and above.
Pros
Great food, discounts and free meals. Close early, open late
Cons
Gets super busy so if you don't like fast pace, not the place for you.
Friendly Environment, and friendship
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNDecember 29, 2016
At this job, I had to arrive and put together catering orders set up by the back-line coordinator. This could be 200+ sandwiches that need to be made and put through the oven. I then had to load my car with the catering orders, and arrive at set destinations in a timely manor. When I wasn't delivering, I floated around the shop helping my team and cleaning up the dining area. The management and I were very close until the end when The general manager forced me to leave after I didn't do her job.
Pros
50% off lunch, lifetime friends.
Cons
A lot of miles on my car, bitter ending.
Company is poorly organized and not well run
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2017
This company's focus is on growth--expanding into new markets and increasing locations in existing ones. That's fine, if the support exists to make it happen in a way that is not damaging to existing locations, and if plans are made with input from all levels and implemented carefully. Potbelly doesn't operate that way. Hourly managers are poorly trained and ill equipped to manage; salaried managers are expected to manage while working a position on the line, and wages paid to associates are on the low end of the spectrum for casual dining, so it's hard to hire and keep good people. There is constant change, chaos, poor training, and a lack of long-term planning at all levels.
Pros
GMs primarily work M-F, daytime hours
Cons
Everything else
Positive energy based fast casual sandwich shop.
Assistant Manager / Acting General Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 19, 2016
Potbelly has grown a lot in the ten years that I've been employed. The company exhibits strong values with an emphasis on teamwork and positive energy. Personally, I've helped with the rapid expansion of the concept by helping to hire and train new associates, open new markets and new stores, and adopt their core values as my own! I love working with customers and selling a brand that I truly believe in.
Pros
Strong company values
Cons
inconsistant hours
A busy environment md friendly people
Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Potbelly is a nice environment to work in if I were to get way more hours than I am getting now it would most definitely show. I'm only 19 and potbelly isn't somewhere I see myself much longer
Pros
Co workers are super nice and the environment is cool and I love to make the customers happy
Cons
Not a lot of hours most likely you'll work 3 hours each day
Challenged in Seattle area
General Manager/Owner (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2016
Good concept, great food and work environment as far as QSRs go. The Seattle metro market is an extremely challenging one however, and the company base in Chicago is struggling to develop a sustainable and attainable plan to develop strength to match it's growth in this market.
Pros
Great food, fair compensation, Good corporate values
Cons
Challenged for sustaining growth in Seattle area
work environment
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2017
My time at Potbelly Sandwich Shop had its ups and downs, it was always challenging because i was the new prep cook, and it was always a lot of food that needed to prepared for the day. but my manager helped me through it until i got the hang of it
Pros
food is very cheap when your employer for potbelly
Cons
staff dosent stick together everybody is trying to bash on each other
Very friendly place to work
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 5, 2017
They really do care about their customers. The food is great and prepared in the correct ways. They are a very clean restaurant that always has a friendly attitude. They do great with scheduling and managing their employees.

Defiantly a good place to work,
Pros
Friendly Management, Clean Environment, Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
No Free Food, 3 Hour Work Days
Productive, Organized, Cares About Customers and Employees
Catering Coordinator in Training (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXFebruary 7, 2017
Great Management Style
Good Training
Respectful Workplace Culture
Excellent Food
Always Improving Menu, Work Environment, Teamwork
Great Place to Enhance Professional Experience and Long Term Career Goals in Food Service Industry
Pros
Discounted Lunches
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Productive and fun work place
Sales and cashier (Current Employee) –  150 east 52nd streetFebruary 12, 2017
things may get pretty hectic during the day however, one thing i would always remember is for every customer who orders we give them a show. our job is to shout out certain orders with certain abbreviations which can have the customer pretty entertained. everyone including the employees leave with a smile and so do I.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Potbelly Sandwich Shop. Our community is ready to answer.

Potbelly Sandwich Shop Reviews by Location