Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews

We make sandwiches not save lives
Cert. Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 15, 2018
My old gm told me when i first got hired, that if i ever feel discouraged to remember we make sandwiches not save lives. Its the best advice thats stuck throughout my career. A typical day at my job is actually pretty fun and very fast-paced. Here I've learned how to solve customer problems on my own, instead of always calling for a manager. The culture is really laid back, we wear jeans and tshirts everyday, The others workers are pretty cool, and its that way company wide. The only hard part about my job is doing dishes, and maybe running deliveries if you dont know the area well. The most enjoyable part of the job is the different people i meet everyday.
Pros
discounted food, easy to get promted
Cons
n/a
It was a good foot in the door job
Assistan Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2018
Potbelly was fun to work for in shop but the upper management was extremely unappreciative and it was really hard to have a life out side work as they require you to work a minimum of 50 hours but you end up around 60.
Pros
Plenty of room for advancement fun work environment
i loved going to work for once
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 10, 2018
I started out as a CT and went from there and went up in the business to becoming a shift leader and wish I still worked there, fun people great management
Fast-Paced, Productive, Friendly Service
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJanuary 10, 2018
Potbelly employees are like a family. The work is often times very fast paced as it is a fast food chain. It can be stressful to work at such a fast pace for more than an hour or if a large family group comes in. The employees provide excellent customer service and expect the same level of respect in return.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Extremely Fast Paced
Great sandwiches but below average leadership
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
As great as the sandwiches are, the people are okay to work with but the management was questionable. There is always a lack of understanding and not much room to advance within.
Pros
Good food, decent discounts
Cons
scheduling, pay, management
Fun and easy place to work
Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 8, 2018
It's a great job especially for beginning career. They allow you to request off typically 2 weeks prior but in emergency situations they are lenient. The associates and manager are very nice and relaxed.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No benefits besides 401k
It was ok
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
When I first started I loved the hobbit now it’s it has gotten to the point I hate going to work. The manger is very rude and I really would like to work somewhere the people are great as well as the job.
Friendly enviorment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 4, 2018
Great place to start if you're new to employment. Staff is a little under paid, and is ultimately why I parted ways with their company. To much relocation required if you want advancement.
With correct support and management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 4, 2018
Any company can be a good place to work at. I did not receive the training or support from upper management. Became very frustrating writing a schedule with very little staff and poorly trained staff without going overtime for associates.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
longer hours than expected.
Friendly, nice, clean, organized place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJanuary 3, 2018
At potbelly the first thing I do is great everyone clock in and begin my day. the first thirty minutes I stock everything that I would need for the lunch rush. Shortly lunch begins when I'm on cash I greet each and every costumer that enters the doors and also everyone who come to the register. I create nearly a relationship with all of the costumers not only to make them feel comfortable, but also to build the brand and make our name known. Although that seems like a piece of cake things aren't always as they seem usually I'm the only person at the register and having a line to the door with people all in a rush to get out the door or to sit and eat lots of people can get upset with me. That can seem hectic, but I still always make the best of it with me making friends just being myself because I'm a very friendly person. I love that i can be myself at work I can laugh, have fun, make jokes, and just be me not only with the team, but also with the costumers which causes them to return daily and actually ask for me when they are there.
Pros
I get 50% off of lunch.
Cons
pay is low, no benefits for associates, not fair treatment to all of staff.
terrible
Associate, Cashier, and food prepper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2018
you don't matter here. plain and simple. your ability to move up is contingent upon favoritism. they care more about the customers than they do about you. You break your back and still get paid the bare minimum to perform twice as much work
Pros
Cons
everything including teh two hour breaks
Working here is very busy and challenging.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2018
A typical day here is very busy and outgoing.
I learned how to make a variety of sandwiches.
The management here is okay, nothing bad goes on but it could be a little bit more civilized and professional.
The hardest part of the job is when our lines get long.
The most enjoyable part is when you're on break.
Pros
Free lunch, new friends and more experience
Cons
Low pay
Stressful, but the tips help.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 2, 2018
This is a very fast paced job with a huge lunch rush. It is very team oriented so you will never feel alone, but there will be a constant array of commands being thrown around that you must keep up with and navigate through the madness.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
No free food, late breaks, poor management
Fun and relaxed workplace
Staff (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 2, 2018
Working at Potbelly was not too bad for the most part. They have amazing sandwiches and a great team that makes every experience at Potbelly memorable.
Pros
The food
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Potbelly
Management - Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 28, 2017
Potbelly was a fun and fast paced place to work. From the moment we opened our doors there were customers. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the team I worked with was like family. Towards the end things got rocky with management and work/life balance but overall I did enjoy my time with Potbelly.
not disclosing
General Manager (Current Employee) –  7717 n macArthur blvdDecember 27, 2017
I will not disclose this information. I will only give it out in a interview.
After working their for 8 years the company has changed into a toxic environment for its employees. Poor culture.
Teamwork-based workplace
Shift Leader, Oak Lawn (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 27, 2017
Potbelly is a team-driven company. The only way the company exceeds standards is when everyone is working together as a team and everyone's insight is brought into discussion. The culture is amazing, and Potbelly ensures that all employees are having fun while also maintaining production during work.
Pros
Team-friendly, opportunities for advancement
cool place
ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 25, 2017
days at work is good , i learned how to make different things and where things came from also the hardest part of my job can be being nice to the customers or learning how to make the different types of food
Cool place to work
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 25, 2017
While Potbelly is a cool place to work, I wouldnt reccomend working there in the winter. Especially is youre going to be a delivery person. Remember that.
Hard Work
Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 21, 2017
Potbelly is a entry level and equal opportunity employer who offers many advantages that develop new worker. A typical day would consist of assisting customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Potbelly Sandwich Shop. Our community is ready to answer.