Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews

Very good company to work for
Shift Leader/Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, ILSeptember 21, 2016
I had a very poitive experience working for Potbelly. It taught me to trust in the staff and it places a very high value on the customer which is something that a lot of bigger companies forget. If I had to rate this company from 1-10, 10 being amazingly satisfied, I'd rate it a 12.
Pros
Places a high value on integrity and accountability, as well as teamwork.
Still a work in progress.
Prep/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 21, 2016
My job at potbelly started strong but i soon realized that the General manager needed some practice with balancing things among the other associates. Pay rates were unfairly distributed, Advancement seemed few and far between, and they were not very flexible if someone needed time off or a change in their schedule. Although they had some issues, it wasn't the worst place to work, I did enjoy some aspects like the people there and the fact that we had fundraisers almost every few weeks.
Great job for students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORSeptember 19, 2016
Potbelly is a great place to work especially if you are a student! The customers and coworkers are super friendly and easy to work with. Potbelly takes action into making sure it is a positive environment for the Employees and Customers. I enjoyed my job because it was easy and fun. I was in charge of greeting, cashing every customer out and making sure the front and bathrooms were clean. I also got to make smoothies and prepare soups. The hours were nice since my location did not close till 7. If you are a student they will work with your schedule which is very considerate.
Pros
half off lunches, positive environment
Cons
inflexible with shifts, low pay, hard to get hours
Fun workplace, loved my team and manager.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXSeptember 19, 2016
Potbelly was a great opportunity for me. They taught me a lot in customers service and in the management role. I loved my team & well as the managers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, short staffed.
Great Environment! Easy job!
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 13, 2016
Potbelly is a great friendly place to work and Potbelly takes pride into creating a positive environment for the Employees and Customers. I enjoyed being able to know the repeating customers and getting to converse with any new customers as you serve their food, creating a bond to kill time as you work.
Climbing up this ladder depends on your choice. If you work hard, and you want to try to raise through these ranks, you have to show your determination, you have to talk to the GM about your advancement. They give it to you if you earned it, but they will not voluntarily give you the reward you earned.
They do have a certain way of managing the store, your insight might be heard, but ultimately, they have a game plan in the beginning of every day.
If you work hard, you can be given more hours, if you have school, they will work with you.
If you just need job, they will give you a mediocre set of hours.
Hours are subject to cut depending on the profit of the store.
Pros
Meeting new people, great place if you love your own work ethics
Cons
Very Repetitive, hours easily cut.
Fun And laid back environment
Customer Service/Food prep (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 1, 2016
I loved working at potbelly. My team was helpful and friendly, you learn a lot and the food was great. I was able to work flexible hours or additional hours if needed. There was definitely opportunity for advancement in the company.
Pros
Discount off of food, flexible hours
Cons
Short staffed
Fun and exciting
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 1, 2016
Be prepare to work and as long as you work hard and show how worthy you are then you should have no problem moving up the late. I was able to move up two positions all in one year
Pros
Family Environment
Cons
Hours go down if business goes down especially if it's an holiday
Fun place
Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 31, 2016
It's a really good job for high school students, I did a little bit of everything for example cashier, made sandwiches, stacked and I have experience talking to customers as well.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Short breaks, short hours
Fun Place
Associate (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 29, 2016
Great Customers loved work the but everything that good always has an ending. Loved the regular customers great to see there smilingly faces looking for the perfect sandwich.
Friendly and fast Sandwich Experienc
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Norridge, ILAugust 22, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Potbelly's, and the fast paced environment helped me learn to catch on quickly and keep calm in high pressure situations. It taught me to keep track of multiple things at once and to be fluid with my position, jumping from prep to cash to cleaning and back again on a daily basis. I had fantastic coworkers who were positive and encouraging. The management was a disorganized but it was understandable to a degree due to our understaffing issue. The most difficult part of the job was closing at midnight as well as working 11 hour shifts, but I managed to work through them with a consistent energy level and positive attitude. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with the customers, especially the ones who came in often because they knew we would make their food right.
Pros
Half off lunches, good trainers
Cons
Long shifts, advancement was promised but never actually occurred
Fairly nice
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 16, 2016
It will allow you to work as much as you want, but you will work and stress your life away. It is quite a bit to make sure your team is competent around yourself.
Pros
Lots of hours, great culture.
Cons
Limited benefits, way too much stress, zero coverage.
Very fun and awesome opportunity to gain professional experience
Associate (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILAugust 10, 2016
Working at Potbelly's could not have been any more stress-free than it was. I got along with everyone there, and never had any problems with compensation, management, or the job etiquette we were suppose to have. I would come in, put on an apron and either get started on working in back (prep work, dishes, other cleaning, etc..), or I would go on the line and start helping out customers. It was never too hectic except for those once-in-a-while lunch rushes we'd get, when all of us on the line would have to multitask and be flying back and forth between customers and stations trying to get as much done as possible. All the co-workers were awesome and all my managers were nice and respectful. The most important things I learned were how to hustle, how to be a cashier, and most importantly, I learned excellent customer service and just how to deal with people on a daily basis. The hardest part about the job was closing at night, and dealing with those rare but very stubborn and pushy customers. The most enjoyable were helping out the regular customers who came in all the time, and also getting to try everything and anything on the menu.
Pros
Food, respectful co-workers/managers, very easy to handle
Cons
short breaks, not too much freedom on breaks, some tasks
Pretty good place to work when in school
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2016
The company is very insulated the managers are rotated in and out of the same stores. A typical day when opening is bantering with coworkers while setting up for the day set up working positions for staff.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
wasteful
Friendly Fast and Fresh Sandwich shop
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 4, 2016
I love working for Potbelly ! Promoted as a Certified trainer in a few months of working in the company, then a few months after as a Shift manager. We love fresh food and love serving it. A typical day at work would consist of serving great customers, managing shifts to transition into the next,great co- workers who remind you of family.
Not bad for a stepping depending where you are.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJuly 30, 2016
I started off in the woodbridge shop and was later transferred to Fairfax because many managers in the area had quit or left. Many people are leaving which allows for quick growth and rise among the ladder if you put your head to it.
Pros
A team that is more than willing to help, guides, decent training.
Cons
No free food, understaffed at times.
Worse place to work
CATERING COORDINATOR/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
The customers are always friendly but the management has the competency of a big toe. You can and will get fired over the smallest things. Not worth it.
Great co-workers, poor management practices since company went public
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2016
There is a large expectation for employees to work 50-60 hours a week at corporate. Upper management seems to want to run what was a successful business with a clear culture in a different direction without thinking about why the company was prosperous in the first place. If you don't mind not having a work/life balance along with being in a company where they say one thing and do another, this is the place for you!
Pros
Nice office, good co-workers, funish atmosphere
Cons
New mangement after company went public have not instelled the previous positive, encouraging, and motivating culture and values in their new mangement practices.
I absolutely loved the environment.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2016
As I came into work everyday it was so much energy that it's not a day you wouldn't want to come to work. My co-workers were some of the most amazing people I had ever known. The managers were always around and available for anything I needed or questions I had. Adjusting my schedule was never an issue. The hardest part of my job was when a crowd of people would come in to order food and it would only take a single mistake in the line to mess up the whole flow. It wasn't really much of a problem though. I loved that I never got any rude customers, everyone was always patient and had good vibes.
Horrid managment great company
Catering Manager/key holder (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 20, 2016
I worked at potbelly for just over a year. For the last 4 months i was there I was told I was going to be moving up and was a great fit for management at this location. The GM and AM are ridiculous. They do everything in there power to make things easier for themselves while just leaving employees out to dry. As for my customers they were awesome and I loved working there. The owner is an amazing woman on the bright side.
If you are enthusiastic think out the box and willing to learn Potbelly the place for you full of good energy people around there give you respect
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJuly 20, 2016
For anybody that is working at Potbelly I prefer you to start off at Lowe's because every other station comes after low so if you learn the calls and you learn the language of Potbelly every other station will be a lot more easier.
Pros
You get discounts on sandwiches and everything else
Cons
But you can't make your sandwich it's against the rules

Potbelly Sandwich Shop Reviews by Location