Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews

Fun and busy workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXSeptember 16, 2015
Fun place to work. We use teamwork to get through busy productive works days. Communication and out Customer Service skills are most important. Along with working in a fast pace.
A learning experience
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2015
In this company, I was given the opportunity to advance a few times while learning new skills and obtaining knowledge about the food service industry.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 27, 2015
Fun and fast paced work place. Typical day was busy, but kept you moving. Very friendly staff and customers. Management was always willing to accommodate to your needs.
Cons
short breaks
enjoyable workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2015
working for potbelly was a fun well learned experience for me. typical day there was awesome, I love to see the customers happy an treated with respect. my duties were to make sure delivery an pick up orders were correct an ready on time.
Pros
earlier shifts
Cons
not enough hours
FAST AND QUICK
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 8, 2015
Working at Potbelly was a fast and up beat, i working during lunch hours right after high school. Management and co-workers were all great staff working together trying to feed all guest at a timely matter. Best part about working there was seeing how guest would be happy there meals were great and listening to their positive comments about their food and our customer service.
Great place to start out if you're looking for experience.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2015
Fast-pace work environment, mainly busy during lunch hours 12-3. Requires working as a team and having great positive energy with customers.
Empty promises, a lot of headaches and physical labor
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2015
I was hopeful to build a long career with Potbelly. I worked my tail off and was repeatedly promised that I would advance in my career, but found nothing more than empty promises. The company has great values and culture, but unfortunately the majority of the team members don't uphold nor represent these. Be prepared for a lot of hands on and physical labor for relatively low pay. I dealt with a lot of team members not showing up for shifts and being short-staffed regularly. This resulted in extra work/duties with little or no appreciation from management. If you have zero experience in this industry, are young, and can't seem to find work elsewhere than I suppose it's an okay job. Save yourself the headaches and aggravation and go seek employment as a server somewhere where you will make more money and won't have to do dishes, scrub floors, and do a ridiculous amount of physically taxing labor for virtually no pay. Managers are overworked and expected to be hands on too. I saw my managers do all the same work as their associates plus their managerial duties, and they were expected to do so. Not a glamorous job for sure.
Pros
Ummm...not sure there are any
Cons
Work-life balance, low pay, employees have bad work ethic
Loved this place
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2015
Never a dull moment working here. Fast paced all day long! Loud music and coworkers, delicious food, fun customers, and you can act like a kid.
Relaxed on occation.
Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  New Lenox, ILJune 18, 2015
A typical day at work consists of making sandwiches or operating the cash register and running around making sure no one is making mistakes or not being productive.
I learned how to efficiently operate in a team of goal oriented people. It is a much more positive environment than other fast food places I've worked at.
The lower management fluctuates between a serious, work not play and bubbly laughter attitudes without a moments notice.
The overall quality of the coworkers is overall high, but steadily declining, as older team members leave and their spots are taken by younger workers.
The hardest part for me is only being scheduled for no more than 20 hours per week and the high chance of being told to come in late or go home early when business is slow.
The most enjoyable part of the job is during peak hours when everything is fast paced and to see everyone operating quickly. It is clear and impressive that the restaurant can work similar to a finely tuned machine.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Low hours
Animated, postive staff.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2015
Felt like the people and the managers i have had the pleasure to meet helped me grow as a person as well as a manager. The company takes pride in hiring the right people who have the attitude to not only keep customers happy but the other staff as well. The hardest part of the job would have to be the transition process from a Associate to a Shift leader only because this may require you to leave the home store you trained in. Most enjoyable part was being able to develope associates and see growth within a emerging company.
Pros
There was always room for growth within the company
Cons
no cons
Great company to work for with a lot of opportunity to advance
General Manager Training Lead (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIMay 18, 2015
Potbelly is a fun place to work with great people at all levels of the company. They continue to grow which can lead to numerous opportunities for those with the proper initiative and work ethic.
Growing too quickly for their own good
Salaried General Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
Pushing people through the system who are not qualified, making things harder on those of us who are. Company that doesn't practice what they preach.
Great Atmosphere
Delivery Biker/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
Fun yet quick atmosphere! Fun if you like quick paced and make a customer smile. Its a very good gourmet sandwich that you get to create and help customer happy!
Productive work place
Food Prep 1/Certified trainer/Shift leader (Former Employee) –  brooklyn,NYMay 15, 2015
A typical day is coming in, changing into uniform, making sure all food are prep and all stations are stocked before the lunch rush.
Fun environment and great people to work with.
Sandwich Maker (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMay 12, 2015
I enjoy the people I work with and enjoy the company I work for, I like the fast paced environment and I enjoy keeping busy.
Fun environment
Crew Member/CT Lead (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAMay 11, 2015
Potbelly is the place to be if you want to grow within a company and if you enjoy busy fast paced jobs. Its a good job especially if you have no experiance.
Very fun Company
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
Potbelly honestly has been the best restaurant job I've had. I enjoyed coming into work due to my co-workers making the time fun. To me the most fun part about the job was the rush periods during lunch mostly because it makes the time go faster and making hundreds of sandwiches the correct way.
Not a bad place to work but I was young and it was my first job.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIApril 22, 2015
I worked everything from cleaning to running the line making sandwiches and ringing up customers. I learned how to work as a team on weekends and how to work independently on week nights. The other workers were always fun to work with and made work fun and enjoyable. The hardest thing was working around hot ovens all day and cleaning all the machines. I loved working by myself knowing I could get it all done and make it look really nice.
Pros
Free lunch and fun people.
Cons
Hot ovens and had to work all nights
Great place to work easy to advance!
GM (Former Employee) –  IllnoisApril 11, 2015
Love the vibe and energy the company have, equal opportunity, very fair! They have great people to work for. The opportunity to develop into a strong leader is yours. It's what you make of the company, not a challenge. Great food and the quality is great! Co- workers are fun you have some that are up tight but others that are way cool.
Pros
discount lunches and great music
Cons
short breaks
Good amtmosphere busy work environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Van NessApril 9, 2015
Typical day always busy I learned how to have patience management is okay some co-workers are lazy the hardest part of the job is management do what they want 7 don't give you a fair shot the most enjoyable part of the job is the customers