Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews

A first class dive with great sandwiches, soups, salads and shakes
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2017
I learned to have a lot of patience and that every customer is different. I enjoyed meeting people from different countries and cultures. The workplace is what you make it, but that doesn't mean everything will go smoothly or perfectly everyday. The hardest part of the job is keeping youself in good spirits when you encounter several rude customers in rapid succession.
Pros
Discounted food, possibility of growth, provides uniform, works with schedules
Cons
Inexperienced management, unprofessional employees, frequent call outs
Horrible
PREFER NOT TO SAY (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2017
I was told when I was hired that your job only had you work 50 hours per week. I worked about 11-12 hours every day. Potbelly cares nothing about the associates or the managers. Money was all they cared about.
The GM and the AM were scheduled in a position at peak times. How do you manage while you are making sandwiches?
The employees are horribly treated and are looking for other work. While I was there 4 employees quit at once.
Tell me how bad the employee retention rate is.
DO NOT WORK HERE OR REFER ANYONE
Pros
NONE
I loved this job
Shift Leader and catering coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 17, 2017
i worked at this job for four years non stop
i loved every minute of it
building relationships with people that come in and made sure that they came back again
knowing what each customer ordered
i JUST LOVED IT
fun and productive workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 17, 2017
Senior management did a fantastic job of listening to the store managers and making sure they were supported. The focus on associate development is admirable.
Great place for advancement and opportunity within the company.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILMarch 16, 2017
Good environment to work hard and advance in. Perfect if you don't have time to get a degree and make good money. The biggest issue is the work to life balance is off.
Pros
Free lunches, make great connection, great people.
Cons
Long days, on your feet most of the time.
Solid growing company
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILMarch 14, 2017
A typical day starts with a time crunch. A lot is placed upon the shoulders of the GM. First the shop must be set up for opening, i.e. prep lists, equipment start up, shift huddle, daily line up.

All this has to be done while tending to any emails, phone calls, or any other administrative tasks that may have to be done.

Being a manager often times consisted of being a hands-on member of the production crew which took away from opportunities to actually manage.

Potbelly did have a good friendly customer based culture in place that was pretty much common knowledge company wide. It helped workplace, and company solidarity. That was a nice touch.

The hardest part of the job was the time management piece. When you're required to run a bare bones crew with many unexpected variables time plays a major factor. There simply weren't enough tools in place to help cut down on the time spent doing administration as opposed to taking care of what was more important: employees and customers.

My favorite part of the job was interacting with the customers and employees while our peak period was running like clockwork. Developing strong relationships with my team was my favorite part. People are the most important resource we have.

Potbelly taught me how to better multitask and prioritize. It also taught me how to delicately navigate customer interactions to make people as happy as possible which in turn made the company more profitable.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No breaks, lack of support, tons of red tape.
Productive and well organized work enviornment
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Polaris, OHMarch 14, 2017
Potbelly was completely employee orientated. Always new and exciting sales promotions enabling the staff to efficiently increase sales. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Very professional work environment.
It was a fun experince
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMarch 13, 2017
It was a overall great job manager are not as nice as they should be there dress code was very petty customers where great people. My schedule was great they work with your request
work environment
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2017
My time at Potbelly Sandwich Shop had its ups and downs, it was always challenging because i was the new prep cook, and it was always a lot of food that needed to prepared for the day. but my manager helped me through it until i got the hang of it
Pros
food is very cheap when your employer for potbelly
Cons
staff dosent stick together everybody is trying to bash on each other
Has potential to grow with the right management team
Certified Trainer/Marketing Lead/Catering (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMarch 8, 2017
The location has struggled with management and rebooting the store. Short staffed and falling short of rebuilding relationships with costumers.The enjoyable part is the few employees that work hard together as a team and have been with the company for a while in hopes of a turn around.The hard part is the lack of staff and trying to meet catering customers needs and in store customer needs to the best standards. The staff that has time invested has a great relationship with regular customers down to knowing what toppings they want,sandwiches and the little details to make them feel special which I love about the place.
Pros
free lunch, regular customers
Cons
no breaks, short staff
Great Place
General Manager Training Leader (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2017
Great company to work for. Upper management cares about you and taught me a lot of what I know today. I loved the culture of the company and the tools they provided you to succeed everyday.
great mix of personalities and very productive work environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2017
my manager wasn't the greatest but i loved that the district manager made it a priority to show up every month or two and sit down with all of us and asks us how we are doing. He would take any complain we had seriously and take action right away. I loved everyone's personality and how the work place was so diverse. As a leader you pretty much set the tone for the work place so it was great to know everyone loved working with me. The hardest part of the job was taking inventory. I learned how to take criticism, learned how to give criticism and also learned how to be a great leader.
Pros
They encouraged you to be yourself
Great
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 7, 2017
Potbelly was a great place to work because you had so many loving customers and loyal customer that came in with positive attitudes and that trusted us to make their food.
Wonderful working culture.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2017
Wonderful culture and room for advancement. Company is growing so a bit bumpy road ahead. Great training program and continuing development for future growth.
Pros
culture
Cons
goals
A fun easy going workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 6, 2017
At the chain that i work at has a pretty chill atmosphere. The managers will try to help you and work around your schedule and try to help you get as many as hours as possible.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Decent
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMarch 1, 2017
Not really a bad company to work for they give you PLENTY of breaks and an hour lunch usually, pay increase every year you work which I agree with, some bad managers though
very nice people and customers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMarch 1, 2017
it was really fun working for potbelly. the environment was great. the food was always good and staff was amazing. i also liked the hours i worked because i would get off in time to pick up my kids.
Great atmosphere that fosters great customer service
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 23, 2017
Fun work environment that allows great interaction with team members and guests. Training was very thorough and gave each person the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge of position. Positive feedback between management and team.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Poor compensation package.
Potbelly
Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2017
One of the best company's I've worked for. They really do look out for their employees in anyway they can. If I could work there again I would work to become a general manager.
A busy environment md friendly people
Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Potbelly is a nice environment to work in if I were to get way more hours than I am getting now it would most definitely show. I'm only 19 and potbelly isn't somewhere I see myself much longer
Pros
Co workers are super nice and the environment is cool and I love to make the customers happy
Cons
Not a lot of hours most likely you'll work 3 hours each day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Potbelly Sandwich Shop. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval