Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews in United States

A great work place with great food thats half off.
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJMarch 21, 2016
A small little restaurant that is great for a second job. The coworkers are friendly as well as the everyday customers you come to know. The food is excellent also
Pros
the food is half priced
Cons
No healhplan
Good Job with Great Team Effort
Associate (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 20, 2016
What this job has taught me is how to be a team player. There was no hard part about this job. What I liked about my job was how the crew I work with functions.
Pros
1/2 off 1 meal
Cons
short break, low wage, no benefits, low hours
Productive and Very Positive Energy
Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2016
A typical work day would be coming in the store around 9am. Starting my shift early and help prepare for the work day. During my time working at Potbelly I have learned to deal with different types of customers. The management over all was alright. Had to adjust to three different managers during my time at potbelly. My coworkers were very friendly and welcoming. Over the period of time we became more like a family then coworkers. The most enjoyable part of my job was putting smiles on each customers face and seeing more new people come in the shop to seek for my assistance.
Pros
the enviroment was very friendly
Cons
short breaks and have to pay for our food
Good vibes
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 16, 2016
Shift lead on down to associates have it easy. They answer the the Assistant & General Managers(mainly assistant). When you get to the salaried level you're dealing with the District Manager. Which 9 times out of 10 doesn't care about your concerns or take in to consideration how you feel about being changed to another store. Most GMs are very disorganized and can't get it together. They promote store managers who aren't ready for it yet. Good place for associates but management is falling apart. What happened to making your people really happy?
Pros
Free manager meals, PTO
Cons
Short or no breaks, upper management
Great workers and mangment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIMarch 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Potbellys, it was a really friendly working environment, and good people. there wasn't really any hard part of the job except during the lunch and diner rush, other than that it was great working there.
Productive workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21240March 8, 2016
a typical day at work includes greeting guests, preparing sandwiches, organizing the store. Most of my co-workers are fun and easy to get along with.
Fun atmosphere, Low compensation
Manager/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 7, 2016
Potbelly is a great place to work at if you're trying to break into the food management business. They have a great training program and a fun atmosphere. Unfortunately, the benefits just aren't there. The hours can be iffy, and the GM's and DM's are very hit or miss.
Pros
Cheap lunch, friendly co workers
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare
not a good place to work if have worked in a real restaurant
FOH (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 23, 2016
bad hours long day poor discount rude guests not a stable place aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Enjoyable and laid back
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2016
Great company to work for if you are just getting into the work force. Flexible hours and steady pay with few salary advancements.
This job is decent
Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
This job would be perfect for a student in school. The manager will work with the days and hours that you want, and is very welcoming. The employees are very friendly, and are great to make friends with.
Great food
Cashier/Counter Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 1, 2016
I didn't really feel like they wanted me to be there, they put to much on my plate especially since it was only my first week, I couldn't get a bathroom break during my " cycle " they said i should've went before i came to work.
Productive with live entertainment.
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2016
The hardest part of going to Potbelly was feeling that at the end of the day you were not appreciated. I enjoyed teaching and training my co-workers. The best part of the job was seeing them develop into productive workers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Over Worked
Good Food with live music
Server (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2016
My days at work tend to vary from doing deliveries, prepping food, training new associates, and sometimes cash handling. Based from what I've learned from the company so far is the overall work ethics on how to be a team player, learning to handle intense moments on your own, and being able to take charge on showing new associates what they need to know about food handling and providing excellent customer service day in, and day out. Management and co-workers, have been in both ups and downs as of lately. I do believe there should be more managers who are willing to take charge at their jobs rather than not. This could also be said about co-workers as well. The hardest part of the job, is not being able to provide the customers with what they want, and it's usually caused by not having enough products on hand (shake's stuff, breads, certain kinds of meats, and etc). The most enjoyable part of the job, is having a great time and laugh with the people that you work with and serve.
Pros
Employees get 50%, on foods and drinks.
Cons
Employees are sometimes not able to take their breaks.
i really enjoyed the vibe from all the employees. even on bad days no one complained.
Sandwich Maker and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJanuary 25, 2016
I would clock in prep the food. go around and sweep the store. I would stock the cooler and replace anything that was low such as cups,eating utencils, napkins and trash bins. all the staff seemed to have one equall trait. and that was having an outgoing, bubbly personality. very good social skills, and able to make a small connection with every customer, so they would feel special as an individual and feel welcomed and comfortable at potbellys. some days were really hard and we had to prepare each customers meal within 4 minutes tops. but it taught me to be fast and efficient.
Pros
the staff were all very sweet and hard working.they never complained even on the busy days.
Cons
i felt overworked at times for the amount i was being paid.
First legit job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2016
Potbelly was my first Legit job so i learned a lot from it its actually the whole reason i wen to school in the first place i learned time management and how to work effectively with a team
Fast paced occasionally lucrative dangerous job.
Delivery Biker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2016
Ride in (4 miles).
Change shirt, clock in, prep orders (45-90 minutes).
Take breakfast orders, hustle back to get in rotation for lunch.
Strap up stacks of boxes, ride hard to client, drop off, race back, repeat until orders are gone.
Side work prep (30-45 minutes).
Clock out, eat, ride home or to the beach.

Awesome co-workers, management listened to ideas from drivers, some changes actually were made. Compensation was not always great, though sometimes it was. Nothing better than working hard and getting $100 tips.
Pros
Great coworkers, ride bikes all day, COOKIES.
Cons
Chicago traffic, physically demanding.
Very fast paced environment due to location, with friendly/positive staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 10, 2016
Generally i had a good time working there. However it got tedious with all the tasks you had to do while trying to help customers who would come in to take you away from that job. Which meant if closing you would have to stay even later sometime four hours after closing just to finish cleaning, stocking and putting everything away for the next day.
I'm not blaming the customers, just maybe the lack of staffing that was on any given day. Also the hours were brutal
Pros
Half off on your order if you were working that day, free cookies at the end of the shift
Cons
too many hours due to lack of workers, almost too fast paced (due to location)
Productive and Fun place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 4, 2016
A very cool place to work. The money is good, hours are comfortable, and the employee/customer mix makes it fun and lively.
Pros
Half off food
security in downtown restaurant
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2016
I work one evening a week, 6pm-10pm, as the other off-duty/retired cops do.
I do not know the CEO or Potbelly employees beyond those at the State/Lake Streets (Chicago, IL). Due to this site's proximity to the Elevated (transit), there is a regular presence of troublemakers, which is why this site needs security.
Parking is terrible.
Great beginning job.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNDecember 15, 2015
great place to work at. Management switching is difficult to work with. great culture and staff. The store is in a good location.