Pottery Barn Employee Reviews

Service ASM (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 15, 2016
Corporate management has no idea what is happening in their stores. Since they are not on the front lines, their decisions about the stores workload, pricing, product minimums, and store culture is very disconnected. Individual store management is poor--no teamwork or communication and very preferential approach and treatment of managers and sales associates. Associate scheduling does not support the store due to no recruiting and the lack of awareness this has on the store sales team. Dis functional environment that supports chaos.
Pros
discount, beautiful product, benefits
Cons
Poor work culture, poor communication, preferetial treatment.
Great Discount
Lead Designer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 25, 2016
Designing was great, retail not so much. Co-workers were great, managers have a lot of pressure to cut staff so the store is constantly under staffed (in effort to push profit for those who have salary+commission or share in store profits - more for upper management). Being understaffed caused customers to complain and take it out on the poor associate who most of the time makes just $10 an hour.
Pros
Staff & Holiday excitement
Cons
Heavy Travel by Interior Designers, Low Pay
Excellent 1st retail employment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2016
Great structure with in the company, the culture is very inspiring, the mission statement is positive and firm. The advancement with in the company was very aggressive and but positively done over the years
Pros
Great environment
Cons
balance with work and life
different styles comes great responsibility
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLDecember 13, 2016
its a good start up job, the ladder is very difficult to climb, no benefits, no part time or full time offered, just free lance of just under 40hrs.
Pros
40% discount on all william sonoma stores
Cons
no benefits, only for full time employees which is only management
Great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 28, 2016
I absolutely loved this job, but unfortunately it was only a seasonal position. My coworkers were amazing, the management was helpful and accommodating. The only downside of the job was occasionally there would be high-strung customers coming in, demanding the world of us, but usually they were great. I absolutely would work here again.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great people
Cons
Strong scents in store
So far its a good job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Birch Run, MIDecember 6, 2016
I've only worked here for a few months but everybody is really nice. Sometimes they show favoritism but there are a lot of managers so it's nice to have a change of leadership from day to day. Sometimes there need to be more communication but everybody is very supportive of your life at work as well as your goals outside of work (school). Flexible scheduling is nice.
Pros
Supportive, 401k, flexible schedules
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts
Good coworkers, good business, bad management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 6, 2016
Management was severely impersonal around the holiday season, after hiring me part time, and telling me they'd work around my other schedule. Didn't schedule me for 3 weeks right after hiring me. Other than this experience, a typical day of work at PB is wonderful and fun, full of learning experiences.
Pros
discount, interior decorating
fun place to work,
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 30, 2016
I truly enjoyed working at Pottery Barn, I loved to meet and talk with people and help them find what they were looking for, it gives me great pleasure when they get excited and are pleased . My managers and staff there were wonderful, everyone was friendly and helpful with helping everyone learn things from the computer cash register etc. and finding items. The only problem was that it wasn't full time hours, which I need. My favorite part was the Christmas season, I met and helped so many wonderful people,and I enjoyed wrapping the gifts, I always got wonderful comments of what a great job and how friendly I was.
Pros
Very friendly and helpful staff and management
Cons
not full time
This place is like family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAJune 14, 2016
I have learned that this place works like a big family. Everyone helps out each other if another employee needs the help. When it comes to the products, I have learned a lot about little things that I did not know before when I started. For example, I had no clue what the difference between a synthetic and a micro max insert was, or off the top of my head I could not tell you what a standard length for window treatment was until I started knowing the products. The management team is awesome. They are always eager to help with any situation when it comes to the customers needs. They give the customers what they want if they can. Each manager respects their employers needs as well. If you have a problem with something or someone they are always happy to help. When it comes to the co workers, they each get their job done and are always working on something that needs to be done in order to keep things going. When it comes to the hardest part of the job, I would have to say is trying to get someone to open a potterybarn credit card. Most customers say no because they already have to many credit cards. Even if you do tell them the good things about it, they still say no. The rest of the job is pretty easy. Nothing I can not handle.
Pros
Challenging, Productive and learn a lot.
Interior Design Studio and Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Accounts receivable. Medical Insurance Claims. Billing. Front Desk, and Public Relations. Also, help scheduling surgeries and getting authorizations from Insurance.
What I enjoy the most is when I get something done that has been challenging to me.
Pros
Paid by hour.
Cons
It is kind of boring when I don't interact with people, because of the type of job that I have to do.
Good management and clear communication
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 3, 2016
Typical day at work was 6-8 hour shift stocking and organizing stock in the warehouse behind the store front. Was a stockperson, providing support to sales people by stocking and retrieving items in the warehouse.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good communication
Cons
short breaks, limited pay raise potential or opportunity for promotion.
good work environment
DESIGN STUDIO SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 28, 2016
Pottery Barn is a great company and is a good management
good work environent
I learned a lot about furniture and retail
typical day at work design consultations in store or in home
Cons
work weekends
Very fast paced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJanuary 7, 2017
While working at Pottery barn I was able to have patience when dealing with frustrated customers. Co-workers were always doing something not just standing there. The hardest part of working is closing the store on Sun., the reason why is because I had to gather all the data on sales etc. within that week period and submit into the computer and email our DM.
Pros
40% off
Cons
Was only P/T
fast-paced work environment
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Birch Run, MIApril 19, 2016
A typical day consists of processing merchandise, loading and unloading trucks and vehicles, and helping customers as well as other associates. Coworkers are friendly and willing to assist with projects. Management is slightly uneven in terms of what they expect from employees, but still fair. I learned that with multiple managers, it's good to know the chain of command quickly. The hardest part of the job would likely be the physical labor and the most enjoyable part would be the free food.
Pros
free treats (snacks)
Cons
short breaks
Great working experience but not enough
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 8, 2016
I been their for almost a year now. I have meet many nice people, hours are good and flexible schedule. Yet I was not fully train when I first started. I had to train myself and my friend (which was the person who brought me into the team) had to train me in what he knew yet he also was not fully train. Worse part is the amount of hours you get. Sales Associates do more work than Stock. It a chill job but hours do get cut A LOT! Also, co-workers fight and argue over anything. Their never cooperation or communication in the team. It Horrible. Management are very bossy and demanding. They expect 100% perfection in service but it never will be. When closing, managers won't ask you to stay overtime and would let associates leave without notice. If your the only one working as Stock you might expect an overload of inventory checks due to poor communication on walkies.
Pros
discounts on items, discounts at mall if store is at one
Cons
Small 10 min breaks, Poor Cooperation with Associates, Bad Management, Forced to do overtime without notice, not enough hours, 5 hour job is not worth it.
Fun Place to Work
Cashier/ Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 14, 2017
Old Time Pottery was a fun to place to work. It was always great to go in and see all the new stuff we had daily. I loved my coworkers and my mangers. It was a very friendly environment. I loved my customers too they were the best part of my job. The wide range of people you meet and greet on a daily basis with being in customer service.
Working in a chaotic, unpredictable and irrational day.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2016
Do your homework. Spend time in the store you may be interested in applying within and see how the environment is on a high traffic day.

Ask questions in regards to expectations to your job role. If they are new to your skill set be prepared to do your own discovery.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Uncontrollable chaos, No training
very little hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMay 23, 2016
the typical days varies on the amount of walk in clients in the store, i learned to be very patience with customers and managers. the hardes part is that they do not hire full time except for management and they demand high goals of sales and they do not pay commission. there is no possibilities to grow in this company at all.
Pros
nice store
Cons
unpredictables amount of hours per week
Below my capabilities
Design Studio Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Greeting customers and assisting with finding purchases some display work to replenish stock... Cashiering and working with other associates, most of which were pleasant to work with.
Pros
Only perk was a 10% discount
Cons
Low staff.....no assistance when there are lots of customers
Great dynamic job.
Associate Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2016
The work environment is enjoyable and ever changing. Store associates show a great pride in the store and it's visual merchandising. Slow changing technology leaves a bit to be desired. Promotional strategies are increasing and are creating a 'sale' driven consumer atmosphere.
Pros
Merchandise assortment, Coworkers
Cons
Dated tech, aggressive promotional strategies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pottery Barn. Our community is ready to answer.