Pottery Barn Employee Reviews

N/a
Sales Associate and Upholstery Department Lead (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 17, 2017
I worked at Pottery Barn as a Furniture Sales Associate and Lead while I attended Texas State University. This was a good opportunity to learn about customer interaction and suggestive sales tactics.
Maybe not all locations are the same
Visual Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2017
The location I work at recently underwent a renovation. Our new general manager is not easy to work with. They don't follow local regulations for scheduling and don't offer consistent hours for some positions which are more essential than other positions they allow employees to work overtime for. Mostly just super inconsistent.
The store manager and associate manager were poor and constantly changing.
Assistant Manager of Design (Former Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CAOctober 13, 2017
A typical day would be I would arrive 15 minutes early and read the emails for that day(example new promotions or changes in policy.) Then I would clock in and go out on the sales floor so first I could see who was working, who was on break, who needed to go on break. The schedule for that day and where we were at profit wise for that day and what we needed to make and exceed our goals. I would go around and talk to the employees and see how everything was going so far and what they were working on. I would either fill in or get filled in by the other manager(s). In the morning before we opened we would gather everyone together and tell them about the day, what needs to get done and designate task. We would talk about where we stood for the week/month/year. In my meetings I would pass out goals and have an incentive for whoever met it first. It was fun and got everyone motivated. I would open the registers or close them. I sent emails to my district manager through out the day and do a closing recap at close. I changed the visual displays and brought out new products, filled the floor but most importantly ran the sales floor with enthusiasm.
Pros
I loved the staff
Cons
There was no communication among management and management with district manager, no accountability
Fun and creative work environment.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 3, 2017
This company was a visual treat on a daily basis. Displays and marketing were top shelf. Management and staff were a pleasure to work with and benefits were fabulous.
Pros
Creative outlet
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Climbed the ladder
District Display Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. I was also able to gain more responsibility and eventually managed a number of stores. Great place to further your career.
Enjoyed this job
COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Glen Mills, PASeptember 29, 2017
I enjoyed the people that I worked with, the customers and the product. I started as a part time employee and became a full time employee. I left the company many years ago.
good job when going to college
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bethesda, MDSeptember 24, 2017
Started this job when I graduated high school and stayed through college and till I found something better. Unloading trucks in the mornings are tough when there are less than 5 in your crew and some don't show up to work on time. It was fun while it lasted.
Pros
discounts, meet new people, flexible hours
Cons
management
Pottery Barn Kids great customers
Shipping and Receiving Clerk/Stock associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 23, 2017
My overall experience was great working for PBK loved the associates and customers were great aswell, one exception to my experience was a new GM who came from south coast plaza. He hard to deal with, inappropriate and not very professional.
A good first job
Stock and Floor Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 21, 2017
Pottery Barn is a good place to have your first job. You will learn a lot about the workplace including people skills as well as how to handle a various amount of different situations.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
work hours vary week to week
Everyone loves the Barn!
Design Studio Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 20, 2017
If you love sales and desgin with a fast paced enviroment then this is the place for you. Management was like family. I have nothing bad to say about all five of the Managers I had the time I was there. The hardest part of the job though is the customers. Unfortunatly the pay was not very great as well. Hours were constantly being cut. So even though they start their employees off with a over the average hourly pay you would never have a chance of reaping the benifits. It is also very hard to advance with this company.
Pros
Cons
Lack of advancement
Pottery Barn
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CASeptember 16, 2017
It was the best job I ever had. I met a lot of good, honest, hard-working people here. I think if I could go back in time I would try harder to work longer, but I don't think I'd ever want to manage it.
Pros
Workers are friendly.
Cons
Lack of advancement and no desire to.
product is easy to sell customers are great
Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PASeptember 14, 2017
If you are looking for just busy time, it is a good place to work There are no opportunities for advancement and does not compensate well.
Even if you are scheduled for so many hours for the week if traffic is slow in the store you will get sent home, and you will not get paid for the hours that you were orginally schedule for. The customers are pleasant and fun to work with.
Pros
discounts
balanced work environment with opportunity to utilize radios
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CA 94588September 13, 2017
Balanced work place environment with opportunity to deliver furniture to customers in one of two loading docks. A typical day consisted of stocking furniture and merchandise.
Pros
clean work space
Cons
no health benefits
Regular retail stock associate experience
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 13, 2017
A few of the managers could be unreasonable in time expectations of work, causing stress and delivery time to be backed up, which would then lead to customer complaints.
Pros
Fun if you like building furniture
Cons
Mediocre work environment
store level management is good but corporate operations are inefficient and out of date
Visual Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 13, 2017
As a full time visual merchandiser, I took on a lot of stress both from pressure to execute visual tasks under extreme payroll cuts and inefficient company direction. I enjoyed my job when given the necessary time and resources to execute effectively.
Productive with some chances to grow
Associate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 10, 2017
Bei g with the company for over 3 years it has been fun. Off the bat, i was treated better at this place than my previous who i had been working with for over 7yrs.
Managers are what makes it not an enjoyable place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 7, 2017
A typical work day at Pottery Barn is quite slow. The managers honestly do not care about their employees. I once got into a car wreck and I called to call off and they said over the phone "Are you serious? We are like super busy, are you sure you can't come in?" They will schedule you whenever they feel like it and won't consult the availability that you set unless you say something to them. The customers can be as rude and do whatever they like and the mangers won't say anything. My coworkers however are the highlight of my day. The people that work here are some of the funniest, honest, and charismatic people I have ever met. They are what makes coming to work so much fun.
Pros
Snacks in the break room
Cons
management, short breaks
Pottery Barn is a great place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE & DESIGN CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 6, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Pottery Barn. The managers were easy to work for and created a feeling of family among the workers. We would have regular store meetings to keep the line of communication flowing, as well as informal get-togethers outside of work or in the break room to celebrate holidays.
Pros
40% store discount
Cons
working weekends was mandatory
Fast pace atmosphere
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 1, 2017
Meet a ton of great people, good staff. Contests to keep the staff motivated. Excellent employee discount that could be used at all WS brands. Tough work schedule - hours always changed.
Hard work is Rewarding
FT Shipper/Receiver (Key holder) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 31, 2017
Shipper/Receiver may be a fancy name for a stock associate and it certainly simplifies what the main part of my job is/was. It means early mornings on the days that shipment arrives. Unloading hundreds of boxes, sorting these & processing them to the sales floor or backstocking them in the stock room. Keeping the areas of the stock room organized, by department or category. A lot of hard work, which at the end of the day when your feet hurt from standing for 8 hours or you have sore muscles from moving/loading out furniture, equals a job well done. You loaded a crib for a couple who is expecting their first child. Or helped some grandparents buy furniture for a playroom for their grandkids. Shipped out a shower gift for an expectant mother.

Retail is hard work, but the rewards of making a customers day are great. Stock in particular was an outlet for me to hone my organizational skills. And with this job, I managed to get my daily exercise without a gym membership.