Poway Unified School District Employee Reviews

Fun Part Time Job
ESS Staff member (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 26, 2017
Working at ESS, you are always up to something. The kids constantly keep you on your toes. If you are good with working with kids, and are an assertive person, then this is the job for you
Good place to work while attending school
Poway- Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Poway, CANovember 14, 2017
Poway Unified School District is an awesome place to work, especially if you are still going to school. They hours are flexible and they have very good management.
PUSD is a great place to work
Risk Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
PUSD is a great place to work. I am blessed with a great boss and wonderful co-workers. Hardworking, ethical, respectful people. One of the top districts in San Diego county.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Healthcare for family is a bit expensive
Enjoyed being with other parents and school staff
Clerical Substitute (Former Employee) –  Poway, CANovember 2, 2017
Poway Unified School District has a variety of schools and very few openings to advancement. I learned how schools function and are managed and regulated. The job was not hard or challenging. I Did not intend to stay temporary or randomly on call. I did this for a short time while raising my youngest daughter and now am seeking full time work in a busy business.
Pros
Kept School hours for my daughter
Cons
Not enough hours and am now single parent with one income.
nice environment
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2017
I would typically facilitate and supervise a larger group of kids every single day. We would start by organizing them after school and checking them all in followed by outdoor activities. We would then bring them inside in an organized manner and proceed to help them with homework or other school activities that needed to be finished.
Pros
fun, educational, organized
Cons
at times difficult to maintain 30 to 40 elementary aged children
ESS Review for PUSD
PROGRAM AIDE (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAOctober 12, 2017
I loved working at the district. Extended Student Services was a great opportunity to grow professionally in an educational environment. The management is fantastic and reliable and I highly recommend working here.
Tutor
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 5, 2017
I was an AVID tutor in college, it was an average job and I had a lot of fun working with the AVID teachers and made some great life long friends after working there. But, as a tutor it was only while I was in college and living in California during teacher budget cuts and pink slips I couldn't pursue teaching as a long term option.
I love Poway Unified
Lead Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 30, 2017
I love Poway Unified. I wish there were more opportunity in different areas for non credentialed staff. Poway Unified is an incredible place to work with fantastic benefits and really takes care of thier staff in my opinion.
Good curriculum support
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAAugust 25, 2017
They provided me with a book and teacher's guide, as well as previous instructor's materials. They also gave me a log-in for the online SAT site. I was able to design the curriculum and classroom exercises myself.

You have to work in someone else's classroom after-hours, so you have to lug all of your stuff with you each time.
Pros
Curriculum was provided
Cons
Must use someone else's classroom after-hours
Fun place, cooperative employees
Instructional Assistant II for Special Ed (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAAugust 13, 2017
Work is very rewarding as you can see the change day after day.
People are cooperative and helpful
Hard work is acknowledged
Management is guiding and supportive
Part time coach for a spring sport
Lacrosse Coach (Current Employee) –  Poway, CAAugust 6, 2017
I coach from Jan-may. I am Medically Retired from the water Dist. So the hours work out well for me. I did coach football for over 25 years in the east County.
Appreciate their employees
Special Education (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 2, 2017
They provide excellent benefits, competitive salaries, and holidays off to spend quality time with family. A very rewarding place to work with excellent staff.
A wonderful and great school district with high standards and expectations.
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 28, 2017
Staff are very qualified and always strive to better serve the community and students. The principals are very dedicated to making their schools excel in academics and foster the spirit of cooperation at schools.
Fun place to work especially if you like working with kids
High School Aid (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAMay 16, 2017
Fun place to work. Management is consistent and the kids are very happy to see you when you arrive for your shift.

Field trips are an added bonus. The hardest part about the job is seeing the kids sad or upset.
Poway Unified is an amazing group of people
Allied Support Staff/Character Coach (Current Employee) –  Poway, CAApril 23, 2017
I have loved working for Poway Unified. The employees really love he kids and go above and beyond to help them grow. The environment is professional and fun. We do once a month lunches and have themes, which help break up any monotony.
Pros
Staff lunches, PTA perks, job security
Cons
Older buildings, not enough hours allowed
Perfect for a parent with school aged children
ASD Behavioral Intervention Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poway, CAMarch 8, 2017
We get the same vacation and holidays as the students, perfect for me and since I still have children at school, my schedule works best with their schedule.
Every day is different and challenging...
Senior Publications Technician (Current Employee) –  Poway, CAFebruary 4, 2017
My department has a direct impact on the education of 36,000+ students. We are the backbone for teachers and administrators.
When I first log on in the morning, my feet hit the ground running- plenty of emails and online copy job requests to get completed in the 8-hour day.
Customer service is key. We are here to help our customers achieve near-perfection with their copy projects. Many jobs are last-minute, so time management is crucial.
Although I enjoy the fast pace and being a valuable department for our large school district, I would like to work from home- sitting at my desk, looking out a large window at the coastline in Hawaii.
Pros
Great group of colleagues, I live close enough to walk, great benefits, never bored.
Cons
Although I can open my door to the outdoors, being stuck in an office is the only con I can think of.
Fun workplace
Lifeguard/Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Was able to start in one position and work my way up. Learned valuable life skills and management. Was able to work with multiple different types of people
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Poor management
Avid Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAJanuary 17, 2016
Good first job if you are going to school. Tutoring isn't to difficult and the kids are great. I mainly worked at a middle school.
Pros
Kids
Cons
not many hours
its a very rewarding job
Instructional Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2016
I am in classroom of ten students ranging from grades 9-12. They are all unique individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities, as well as autism.
Helping students navigate through academic, recreational, and physical activities assigned by the teacher. We have an individual education plan for each of our students that we follow to better assist them in their specific needs.
I also assist with toileting/hygiene, and feeding.
We currently have a great team in the classroom. It is a fun and upbeat atmosphere, in which we create for the students. It makes the learning process more interesting and enjoyable for them. The staff is very supportive.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the students progress and achieving their goals. It is very rewarding!