Poway Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

its a very rewarding job
Instructional Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2016
I am in classroom of ten students ranging from grades 9-12. They are all unique individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities, as well as autism.
Helping students navigate through academic, recreational, and physical activities assigned by the teacher. We have an individual education plan for each of our students that we follow to better assist them in their specific needs.
I also assist with toileting/hygiene, and feeding.
We currently have a great team in the classroom. It is a fun and upbeat atmosphere, in which we create for the students. It makes the learning process more interesting and enjoyable for them. The staff is very supportive.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the students progress and achieving their goals. It is very rewarding!
Typical Day
Early Childhood Development Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 15, 2015
My day starts as early as 5:00am and ends at 6:00. I oversee 14 sites and 19 programs. I travel 50% of the day observing programs and Instructional Assistants.
I learned to be flexible, manage time, and a great listener.
The hardest part about my job is getting staff to realize how valuable they are to parents and children.
What I enjoy most about my job is traveling to different preschool sites.
Pros
Seeing different preschool programs.
Cons
Not enough hours in the day.
Poway is wonderful. The parents were involved, the management supported and assisted if needed
Preschool Teacher and Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 9, 2015
I came in early for prep and stayed until after lunch. The aids were the best and the upper management were very involved and open to ideas. Loved it here. Hardest part was opening the center since it was my first. The most enjoyable was teaching.
Pros
everything
Cons
Opening a center, as it was my first
teachers aide
Teachers assistant- special education (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2015
Great place to work very friendly and cares about staff members. Great pay and great location. Got stuck working with a demanding teacher however still liked the experience
Fun and Inspiring
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  San Diego,CAJuly 5, 2015
I watch over the kids and we read, do homework and play games. I learned about the development of kids and how each one is different but always full of love.
Very busy, wearing many hats
Behavioral Intervention Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 12, 2015
Very busy and sometimes chaotic work environment. Job title wears many hats and job duties seem to change day-to-day. Supervision varies depending on the personality of the supervisor and the principal at the school you are working at. Confusing and conflicting job duties/requirements, and very little independence/trust in order to complete job duties.
Must wear comfortable shoes due to being on your feet entire day. Must have a lot of energy in order to work with children in large school environment. Must have patience and must have a positive attitude even when day is confusing, chaotic and not going so well. The children's happiness and smiles are what guide you and make you enjoy your job.
Pros
Working with children, helping their day go well
Cons
micro-management, lack of trust of doing your job, over supervision of job.
Fun place to work.
Food and Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poway, CaMay 8, 2015
Learned how to plan meals for middle school and High school.
Management helped in every step of the way.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to serve those special kids.
Great District. Felt like a big home
Substitute Teacher/Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2015
I have worked in many classrooms as a sub for this community and felt as if they we able to make me feel welcome with each new experience. Great support from administration at most schools. I did my student teaching at Schaol Creek and had extended stays and temporary positions with the many of the middle and high schools.

I did not get a chance to be hired as a full time year round teacher. It is hard to break in.
Cons
Hard to get a FT postion
Family-like enviornment, Friendly, and Professionally
Substitute Health Services Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2014
I enjoy and appreciate every minute I am working here because I'm being recognized and appreciated.
Wonderful place to work with students.
Instructional Assistant - Preschool (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2014
Greet the students, have them wash their hands and choose an activity to work on and sign in (practicing writing their names).
Water Polo Coach
Westview High School Junior Varsity Coach (Former Employee) –  Poway, CaSeptember 2, 2014
A great opportunity to watch aspiring young men grow up and achieve their dreams in school and in water polo
Best school district- anywhere!
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2014
I loved teaching in PUSD. Excellent professional development, respectable administration, professional staff and colleagues. Oh, how I miss it so....
Enjoyable
Food Service I (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAApril 16, 2014
Hardest thing was washing the pot's and pans, Lunch Ladies Rock and the management as well.
Excellent school district
Substitute teacher/instructional assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2014
I never would have left my position with Poway USD if I didn't have to relocate to CO to provide care for my aging parents. If I were to return to CA, I would reapply to work for this district. There was nothing about any of the positions I held that I didn't enjoy.
Pros
staff and administration
Cons
prefer secondary school age children over elementary aged
The staff is very warm and supportive at Del Norte High
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 25, 2013
A typical day would be teaching four classes a day because we are on a Trimester system the students have five classes a day. School begins at 8:10am and ends at 3:32pm. The students are good kids and are eager to learn most of the time. I have learned how important collaboration and teamwork is while working in the district. I have also learned how great it is to be working with teachers that truly care about student learning. The administration works hard to support the staff and the students. I feel comfortable working under them. My co-workers are great to work with. We all work hard to support our students and each other. I enjoy going to work everyday. The hardest part about the job is keeping my students challenged because most of them are self-motivated and come from homes where mom and dad are professionals. The most enjoyable part would be working with the students and seeing them light up when they understand and make the connection with what we are working on.
Special education instructional aide, substitute yard supervisor
Noon Duty, Special Education Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 18, 2013
worked as a1:1 special education instructional aide and would substitute when needed.
My experience at Black Mountain Middle School was a valuable learning experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 15, 2013
I came into the Special Day Classroom as a substitute teacher. The students were out of control behaviorally and needed structure and behavior modification. The challenge was a valuable learning experience for me and served me in later teaching situations.
The staff and administrators were very helpful and supportive. Especially knowing the challenge these students presented. Controlling behaviors and meeting the individual educational needs of students was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part was accomplishing my goals of managing the classroom and having success with meeting needs of the students.
Pros
valuable professional experience
Cons
the challenges of managing and modifing the classroom was very stressful
Computer Resource Assistance II
Computer Resource Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Poway Unified School DistrictSeptember 9, 2013
This was first computer job in the school district. I was in charge of my own computer lab. I love it ! I got be creative and I got to help teachers and students using computer as a learn tool. I mainly help teach with their lesson plans on how to relate their lesson plans to the computer lab. I also maintain the computers in the lab. Everyone more inspect the computers and make sure they are working. I found a problem either hardware or software I would fix it myself or report it to have the computer serviced. Only about this job I didn't like, it was not full time. Only allowed to work 20 hours a week.
Pros
creative, fun, great teachers
Cons
not full time, no benfits
A painters assitaint
Painters assitant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 20, 2013
A top ten school district in the country was an honor to work for coming out the Military.
Pros
a great place to work
Cons
wish it could have been longer
provides job security and an excellent work experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAJanuary 26, 2013
I enjoy working with this school district because it offers a variety of positive work experiences with friendly co-workers, administrators and managers.

4.4