Powell Electric Employee Reviews

Great Company to learn a new skill.
QA Electrical Inspector II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2016
Its a good company to learn electrical testing on Switchgear and Power Control Rooms. Good hours and good people to work with.
Nice family-like atmosphere.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
Work day started with a walk-thru of current status on projects with management team. When direct reports arrive, we have a safety meeting and talk about the objectives of the day. I learned the different aspects of the project cycle and all the support groups required for success. My manager was very knowledgeable and hard working. He was a good example for me to follow. My co-workers were extremely nice and helpful. We enjoyed tackling problems together. The hardest part of the job was trying to work with support groups that failed to complete their tasks and consequently resulted in delaying the project. I must say that the most enjoyable part of the job was inspiring my direct reports. I like challenging them daily and coaching them to move to a higher level of thinking.
Pros
Very flexible with work time, great work atmosphere.
Cons
Pay was a little less than desired.
Safe and great place to work in.
Low Volt Assembler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2016
From day one, I've felt great working for a company that promotes an intense amount of safety. The management has made sure every employee was trained and certified to do the right job and if the employees were not comfortable doing risky tasks then they were not forced to do it. It was not worth taking the risk that could result in injuries. I learned so much about tracking Data of parts and blue prints.
We all were treated like family
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCDecember 21, 2015
This was definitely a hard job to work, regular hours, but the heat some days was just unbearable. The work was always a workout, and you were always doing something and not standing around twilling your thumbs. I've learned a lot about electricity and highly respect it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Working in the summers
Unacceptable Work Ethic
Welder Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 22, 2015
An unacceptable work ethic leaves this place behind on all jobs and firing people left and right with no thought. Avoid unless desperate.
Glass is half full of a job
Medium Voltage Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2015
From the first day I went to orientation it seemed to be a nice place. Orientation was so true what life will be like for my remaining time that I was there for. I was told every Monday was a fresh new set of employees coming into work. Training at my locations with few instruction for reparative motion work. It took me a month to get the swings of things when I did. The work seem to slow down, no longer I was second guessing myself but doing it. There were always way a test or certified program for us to do. This lead to no money, just more of responsibility. There was nothing for you if pass or failed. When they wanted you to do something you did it.
Pros
Overtime is always availble year round
Cons
Low starting pay for as much you had to do
good company with great benifits
Base Department Lead 1st Shift/Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxAugust 14, 2014
I have learned many new skills while working for this company. there is so much there to learn and other opportunities to work in other departments and to learn new skills. this company continues to thrive to make customers NO.1 as well as safety. there is days there when it can be challenging, especially when work is getting behind schedule, but other times it is a steady flow. this company is one of the best places I work at. a very laid back environment in most case's. there is always ways to challenge yourself there, mentally and physically
Pros
great benifets, a good safety record, and some great people to work
Cons
lack of communication between engineers and shop floor people, pay raises are not very moving
Manufactoring
Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHDecember 20, 2013
Powell was my first job and it wasn't easy. I worked midnights loading copper on a table and using a saw to cut it into various lengths then smoothing it down. after I would transport it to its next destination in the factory. It was a repeating process all night long, good management and coworkers. Again another experience I wouldn't want to forget.
Nice people
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2013
I arrive at 6:15 am.
Run daily reports.
Attend 6:45 meeting and use those notes to plan out the rest of the day.
Talk to leads and managment about meterial and order, find or remake/scrap material.
Review my shortage report and contact buyers by phone, email or face to face visits.
Follow up on the status of ordered material for that day.
Release and schdule projects in Oracel and Excel.
Order stock manufacturing materials from inventory control.
Run my stock issueing program.
Time to go home 5:00
Great place to work if you're handy with tools.
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2013
Come in get an assigned toolbox and find parts to a job number we"re working on. Assemble the unit.
Pros
Very quiet
Cons
Short breaks
Its a great Co. to work for, good owner and management.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMay 9, 2013
This is a company with great managing skill and very qualified electricians. People were great to work for. Steady work is great!
co workers were fun to work with. Every electrician digs a ditch once in a while.
Pros
fair pay and some over time + benifits
Cons
Not Really
Looking for more pay and benefits
PCR Assembler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 31, 2013
Another day at the job. It is a job that pays the bills. I just wished I had room for advancement and benfits.
great successful company
Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2013
great company. all about business but can achieve success easily there.
productive and fun place to work at
Production Worker/assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2013
Employee assists , Welders, Material Handlers, and Leadpersons Painters, Machine Operatorsin performance of their work.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
people there will do anything to get you fired
Good Start, Hours, and Pay
Medium Voltage Assembly (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2013
This was a good job in my opinion. Nice People, good pay, and excellent hours. My managers name was Danny Sturma. He was a good guy. Never had to get on me about anything. The hardest part of the job was probably waking up at 3 a.m. My co-workers we nice people also. I would have stayed, but I left the city due to damage to my apartment after Hurricane Ike. I'm from Memphis, TN. This is my first time back in the City since Hurricane Ike. So, I would be greatly appreciated if I was hired.
Pros
long break and lunch was cooked on site.
Cons
worked on sunday
good place to learn conduit
Electrician/Conduit (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2013
build power control rooms
running conduit
pull wire
wire mcc and switch gears
Pros
good place to learn, benefits are great
Cons
pay not good, brakes are short, hours are not the greatest
Productive and great place to work
Wireperson (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2012
I learned a lot about how to install wires into breaker boxes. Co-workers were very helpful and i mostly enjoyed getting the work done.
productive and hard worker
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2012
3 years of previous experience in assembly.solderingwires,crimping,electrical parts,and cable
Good job to move up
Spot welder and mig welder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2012
A typical day at work is always busy here, we come in and from right when we come in you start working and do not stop until break or lunch or when its time to go. I learned how to mig weld and spot weld from this job and how to read weld prints. The hardest part of the job is just putting up with slack that we or i would have to pick up.
Pros
able to learn and move up
Cons
takes up your day and life
Productive, fun to work, with good benefits.
Crew leader/ Assembler/ Busman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2012
Powell is a good compaby to work ofr, although the pay is very low, it offer very good benefits.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
pay rate