Powell Industries Employee Reviews in United States

powell industries
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2016
good place to work but slow for right now. great benefits management is ok. need to make sure give raises when suppose too
Great Placeq
Welder Assembly and Fabrication (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2016
Great Place to work, lots of benefits, fast HR department if you have any issues, they help you through out everything you need, would love to go back to work there but too bad we got laid off because of oil and gas crisis.
middle of the road
assembler (Current Employee) –  n. CantonDecember 23, 2014
From looking through the other reviews I can see that any location that you work at pay is an issue. My experience at Powell has not been pleasant. From favoritism to looking down on someone for having to much experience for a job. It is a great stepping stone and learning platform, but for what they expect you to do the pay is awful. My co-workers are the best part of my day, almost like family. Management is clueless, there is no communication and the leads care less and less each day. The company has asked for cost saving ideas from us and over the last 2 years we have saved 2 million still our raises have amounted to nothing but a slap in the face.
Pros
the people i work with
Cons
pay, management
inside not out in weather
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHJuly 25, 2016
it was very friendly people taught me how to run a pallet jack and how to budget money every two weeks only negative was not enough hours
n
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Busy, but productive. Learned many different skills from the more senior employees. Poor management. Dealing wi constant emergency break downs. The accomplishment of knowing I contributed to the on going success of the company.
Pros
plenty of benefits and overtime
Cons
no room for advancement
No Good
Material Handler - Assembly (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2015
Poorly ran company. No chance for advancement. Unsafe and unfit place to work. I hate to be a pessimistic but the EEOC should investigate the whole corporation from top to bottom.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Just like any company
Contributing team member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2015
Powell has its ups and downs like every organization. The people (co-workers) are some of the best people to work with. In the last few years communication has been pretty poor from upper management. Powell is struggling to diversify themselves while trying to still hold on to the culture that made them successful. I hope they figure it out.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Poor Communication
Great Atmosphere , with grest people
Medium Volt Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2015
Fun work place with a great team leader that's very supportive. Manger was great with making a personal connection with every person on his staff. Every individual was willing to help you learn new things everyday
All in all a good compant to be employed with
Welder/Fabricator: (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2014
Excellent benefits and good working conditions, I felt the attendance policy was not being governed correctly and need to be clarified to the employees more in-depth.
Pros
onsite cafateria, 6 month reviews, profit sharing bonuses, excellent vaction and sick day was generous
Cons
short 20 minute lunch breaks, micro-managment of employees
managment
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2015
fun work place with excellent staff place had a lot of friendly staff and very excellent management nice and honest people
Good Environment
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2015
People who you worked with were great.
Just bad pay. learned a lot about working with other people. teamwork. just terrible pay.
paint shop (Former Employee) –  houston txJuly 13, 2013
Do not recomend to work there.. Supervisors have their favorite people if ur late or want a day off and ur not his favorite ginnie pig good luck. To much pressure. I caint beleave i waisted a year of my life working there. The raises suck youll get 10 cents a year
Cons
short breaks. 25 min lunch
Productive, Fun place to work
Assembler-low Voltage (Former Employee) –  Houston TXMarch 20, 2013
Learned how to part together switch gear for the Oil and Gas Industry, Management is top notch on getting everyone what they need to get the job done. Co workers are very helpful on a daily basis.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Wire Person (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasAugust 3, 2015
I typical day at work was to have a safety meeting in the morning and then go to work. I learned how wire transformers and lug wires. The management was very nice you could go talk to the Managers about anything. All my co-worker was older then me I was the youngest at the company. The hardest part at Powell was fitting in the small spaces.
Secured employment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2013
Great benefits but managment is very bias when it comes to advancement.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
advancement only if management chooses you
Good environment
Wireman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2013
I enjoy being at work I really like what I do the first thing that I do before starting a job is to check all paperwork (blueprints), according to tha prints we start working in a safely manner always. I learned a lot in this company working as a team , in a safe way.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
pay
STEEL SHOP/MATERIAL HANDLER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2014
Great people great bosses just not enough pay Im not used to it No over time im used to 55 to 65 hours a week not just a flat 40
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks not enough pay
nice place to work
Development Group Lay-Out Civil Engineer/Designer (Former Employee) –  North Lake, ILAugust 12, 2013
It was my home for over 17 years.
Unfortunately IPB production line nearly closed.
Pros
good benefits, bonuses, free lunches.
Stable workplace
Inventory Control /Material Returns Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston,txJanuary 9, 2015
A typical day at work starts out with a toolbox meeting. in this meeting we talk about safety and any other department issues.
It’s like a family here at Powell where all of my co-workers are nice and try to do the best job they can. The management here is flexible and will allow you to learn each and every station of your department so you have a lot of knowledge when and if you move to other departments. You learn a lot about Oracle, our current MRP that's being used and inventory control. The hardest part of this job is making sure everyone else is on the same page but is also happens to be the most enjoyable part as well. I love the art of negotiating and coming up with creative ways to fix common opportunities.
Pros
the company pays for school
Cons
i want to work in an area that is not available to me here.
What a great company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2015
I loved working at Powell Electric. The employees were 100% committed to the success of the company and would do anything they could to promote the success of the company.

Management was open to investing in the business and very supportive of me in my role.

The only negative was the level of turnover we had in our entry level employees. We were low pay in an inner city environment.
Pros
employee culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Powell Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9