Powertek Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Short-term 8-A
Project/Task Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 21, 2016
Decent project management and very good client follow up in term of client relationship building.The client was very accessible to the project manager.
Horrible Model for a Small Business
Admin (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 21, 2015
The Executive team does not know what they're doing in terms of how to manage, how to run a company, how to build and keep morale up and the way they treat and talk to all of their staff is abominable!
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Horrible Executive Team
Rewarding Job
Director (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 2, 2015
Since working at Powertek, I have witnessed a strong focus on individuals and people, in which translates to knowing that they truly care about their employees. I started my career at Powertek as an Operations Analyst and today, I am currently their Quality Director. During that time, I was also able to complete my Masters in Business Administration. I was afforded the opportunity to move upward within the company, which was due to the available opportunities Powertek gave me (ie. providing training), my technical background, and hard work ethic. Fortunately, during my career at Powertek, I was able to witness my fellow colleagues given the opportunity to grow with the company as well. Simply put, putting in hard work and commitment is highly appreciated and translated into being awarded.

The support provided to me really shaped my work experience and environment. It was also attributed to the open communication, dialogue and freedom to provide and implement creative solutions. Additionally, I appreciated knowing that my contribution and self were both equally mattered and acknowledged. During my time, I reported directly to the EVP. She knew I thrived on challenge and was committed to providing me with those challenges. I appreciated her care, confidence and support, permitting me to grow personally and professionally.

Due to the company rapidly growing, I was given the opportunity to wear multiple hats until I found my niche. I still recall and appreciated the CEO working with me side-by-side and teaching me government contracting. When at a project site, you
  more... tend to be a bit removed from HQ activities. This one-on-one training provided a new perspective. Having this knowledge, allowed me to excel at implementing best practices at both HQ and the projects.

I also have to stress that although with all of the changes at Powertek leadership has always been engaged and committed to continually focusing on their employees and work place. I believe that the Leadership does a remarkable job engaging and providing resources in anticipation of a large effort or company growth. They have made significant investments in Leadership Coach, HR Specialists and even conducted Myers-Briggs tests to help individual key stakeholders under each other’s personalities and team dynamics.

Also, I appreciated the fact that Powertek offers excellent benefits, because it shows they truly care about their employees personal and professional lives. Their compensation plan (i.e. medical, retirement, tuition reimbursement) is one of the best I have had in my career. For example, the 401K match is highly competitive – who also doesn’t like free money, right?
Dynamic environment, Great work-life balance
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 2, 2015
Being a small growing company, you are provided the opportunity to experience a number of corporate/project aspects and opportunities. Upper management promotes employee development and encourages people to get involved in new things. You are expected to work hard but rewarded a flexible work environment and great work-life balance in exchange.
Where you enter will not be where you leave
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2015
Lets just say I am so happy that I left! The people up top don’t have any respect for the contractors. The contracts seem stable but when trouble is near, no one warned us and gave us any heads up. We have families to feed, but they just want to make their money it seems. On calls, HQ folks yell and curse, very hostile. I am just happy to be back in a professional corporation again and feel bad for the one who took my seat.
Pros
Great team members, the contractors are really nice and helpful.
Cons
Disrespectful. Lots of back talk from senior folks.No procedure or chain of command, sort of a mess.
A good place to work, working with government agencies.
Support Specialist Tier 2 (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 22, 2014
During a normal day you will help government employees using remote desktop to resolve remedy trouble tickets. You support Windows, software, hardware, networking, and many different proprietary software used by different government agencies.
Pros
great easy going place.
Cons
away from the home office.
Metro Accessible
Lead Printer Refresh Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  PentagonMarch 26, 2014
Adding printers to network
Creating print queues
Great hours
Great work benefits
Takes a long time to get there
outstanding work place
Sr. SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 6, 2014
Very professional and a great place to work. Outstanding co-workers.
Temp Job working with multiple contracts
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 8, 2013
Job was a temporary job working with different types of contacts.
Excellent Company
Executive Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 7, 2013
Anyone seeking new opportunities and offered a position by Powertek should
say, "Yes, I accept the offer," simply because of the one-on-one employee to
management relationships, the comprehensive benefits package, the free
training courses, and the extensive services that the company offers to its
employees and to many charity-based non-profit organizations.

During my time with Powertek, I had nothing but good experiences. My
healthcare package was one of the best that I ever had, I received several
"spot bonuses," and the President of the company (a very busy and very
generous woman) invited staff to very tasteful evening dinners to get
insight into everyday situations. For a company President to have an
interest in building relationships with her employees says a lot about what
kind of company Powertek is.

I left Powertek on good terms because the NIEITS contract ended. Not only

did management keep in touch with me to ensure that I was taken care of, my

resume was professionally written by corporate staff. My insurance benefits
were paid for the next month and the company HR team kept an open flow of
communications about networking and future job opportunities. During the

Government Shutdown, the company has set-up emergency services such as a

leave bank and cash for employees affected by the furlough, which should

also prove that this particular company knows the secret of being

successful: caring for its people. These company benefits are truly
unmatched. I can say that anyone employed by Powertek will value their time
within the company.
Pros
excellent benefits, caring management
Government Contractor
Senior Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington D.CAugust 13, 2013
I really work at FHFAOIG as a network admin/security support tech.
Pros
nice building
Cons
small it shop
It's a job
Desktop/Helpdesk (Current Employee) –  Metro DCMay 25, 2013
From what I understood, they under bid contracts. Therefore, one employee is expected to take up 4/5 missing employees. This is why the company is more concerned about micromanaging every aspect of the employees instead of providing excellent service to the client.
As someone said, they really have no respect for the labor laws, and they have been fined by the Depatment of Labor before.

Another person said that " HR is very unresponsive to employee requests for assistance" If you are lucky, you will not get fired from complaining.
Pros
you will have a job for awhile
Cons
well, you figured it out with all the reviews here.
I like generating relationships with my users within the government.
Wireless Administrator (Current Employee) –  VAMarch 11, 2013
I currently support the EITSD project inside the Pentagon. I troubleshoot the BAS server and goverment laptop and desktops along with Blackberry devices.
Pros
the location is great and compensation is solid ..
Cons
the contract is not stable
Job at Powertek
Help Desk Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Marc center virginiaMarch 3, 2013
Lost contract first day I started. Not able to work job hired for. Didn't know when last day was. When contract was going to be up.
Pros
pay not bad.
Cons
no communication with powertek ... letting us know what is going on.
Troublesome company
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 20, 2013
The company is more concerned about micromanaging every aspect of the employees instead of assisting the worker to provide excellent service to the client. A lot of promises were unfulfilled and ignored. What is most troubling is the company's ignorance or lack of respect for laws. The attitude seems to be "catch me if you can..." Even though the web site touts them as an ethical company all over the place, they are not, especially when it comes to bonuses and other incentive pay.
Pros
my wage is good, others not so much. insurance is a good package.
Cons
insurance is pricey, especially for family. micromanagers, indifferent corporate management. illegal policies in employee manual. no respect for the laws.
Relaxed work Environment
Assistant Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft Belvoir, VAOctober 15, 2012
A typical day of work would consist on getting in at 0700 and being there for 8 1/2 hours. During the day you would complete all duties required with breaks in between as you choose. Co-workers and managers were easy to deal with and I learn a lot of information pertaining to my job.
Great company to work for to deliver results
Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington DC metro areaOctober 10, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping clients deliver performance and results
Pros
opportunity to excel in it operations
Cons
contract based work
Long on Promise, Short on Delivery
Project Manger (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 4, 2012
Poor corporate and on site managers who are more concerned with control of personnel rather than managing the environment and removing obstacles in order for us to meet our mission.
Compensation is 30% below market value. Was offered a signing bonus in my offer letter which was initially not honored. Had to leverage a letter from legal counsel in order for the offer to be honored. On site PM made new compensation offer on site, then retracted the offer the next day.
HR is very unresponsive to employee requests for assistance. Two to three week delay in responses.
Archaic web tools for employees, not centralized corporate portal. There are separate sites for timesheet, webmail, benefits and payroll. This is very surprising from a company that touts IT as its bread and butter.
Pros
none.
Cons
see review.

2.3