PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.)

PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.) Employee Reviews

PPD in different roles covered with prior review
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: high turnover, more workload, lack of nurse trainer and mentor for nurse team
Please see prior summary of review for PPD in the two roles that I have and am still at here at PPD. When I stepped down from Operations management, I was promoted to Senior nurse consultant to be more of a resource and I am doing this along with phone coverage. I was hoping to assist with revision of the training process but this is not really their priority right now. I feel if we had a full time nurse trainer and mentor, our nurse turnover rate would decrease. Average time for nurse to stay here is less than one year and in the past 6 months, the average time to stay here is less than 6 months.
This is an underpaid job with unreliable hours
Pharmacokinetic Research Lab Technician (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 21, 2015
Process blood samples from Phase I clinical trial subjects according to SOPs. Centrifugation, pipetting.This is a decent job for people that do not have a degree, and do not require full time employment, or stable hours.
overall
Pharmaceutical product development (Former Employee), Wayne, PAJuly 16, 2015
Great company to work for. Not much for advancement in my group.
Decent benefit and pay. Company sets high quality in service for clients.
Productive and interesting place to work
Country Approval Specialist (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Lasting friendships that transcend the job.
Cons: Coffee leaves much to be desired
On any given day I have to multi-task and dodge issues and put out fires all while maintaining my workload. I find that it's true what they say that what does not break you can only make you stronger. This industry is not an easy environment but, I have learned valuable time management skills that I probably would not have learned elsewhere. I have mastered keeping my cool and maintaining a positive outlook so if nothing else I can galvanize my team with my "Can Do" attitude and get the job done. Which at the end of the day is why we do what we do.
Fast paced, answers medical and technical questions, reporting of AE/PC's, follows SOP's and FDA regulations
Medical Communications Specialist, I (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCJune 18, 2015
From day to day, I handle incoming calls from patient's and HCP's regarding ENDO/MSK products. I report AE/PC's and troubleshoot ENDO/MSK devices. I am a product CHAMP for our team in our reporting database and a product CHAMP for AE/PC's. I am part of the MILES program which is a mentor for our new hires. I often times work overtime as needed to assist in coverage for callouts or helping with the projects workload. I often times participate in round table discussions with management and client regarding ideas or solutions on behalf of the project. Over the course of the 13 years I have worked at my current workplace, I have learned what it's like to be a leader, a mentor and friend. I have made long lasting friendships with great co workers and management. Medical Communications is constantly changing and it's important to keep up with the changes but most importantly embrace change. The people I work with not only play a huge role in making our company successful but also allows me to enjoy coming into work everyday.
A learning experience
Clinical Data Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 18, 2015
I enjoyed working in this company tremendously, I learned so much and wanted to learn even more. Unfortunately I had to move due to family matters. I will cherish this experience and hope one day again I can find myself flourishing in a field like this again.
Very Informative
Medical Communication Specialist (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJune 1, 2015
Pros: very informative
Cons: did not allow to adapt at ones pace.
Very Informative due to changes in research and health care industry; however, did not allow the chance to adapt and improve. Training took about 1.5 - 2 months and going live was 1 month. Answering and understanding consumers needs was a challenge.
Great for an Entry Level Job
ASSOCIATE GROUP LEADER (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 23, 2015
I like the job stability and the benefits are workable. The career progression is what you make it. I like that there are many different departments that are relatively easy to move between. They hire with little to no experience.
had its ups and downs
Research Technician (Former Employee), Metro center Drive austin tx 78744May 15, 2015
Cons: sometimes no breaks
I loved working for PPD it was probably one of the best jobs I've ever had even if I only had decent pay and unreliable hours with no benefits. My co workers were amazing and the work environment was wonderful.
Clinical Research Company
Sr. Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 8, 2015
Pros: the benefits
Cons: the travel
I can't say enough good things about PPD - the co-workers were excellent, the benefits were excellent, the job was fast and challenging - loved this no==job...
Productive place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCMay 6, 2015
Productive place to work to get hours and close to home very fun to meet new people every day also learn how to improve my customer service skills
Productive and nice place to work
Support Specialist (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCMay 5, 2015
Cons: lay off
I worked from home so I didn't go into the office often. Management was easily accessible. I enjoyed what I did until our department was laid off.
Productive & nice working enviorment
Commercial Coordinator Proposal Development (Former Employee), Middleton, WIApril 23, 2015
While supporting the Business Development Sales team, Lab Operations, Executive management and the Vice President I was given the opportunity to learn all aspects of the company from a business stand point and scientifically. PPD allowed me to grow culturally, build and maintain a high level of professionalism and was able to met some of the most amazing people. However, the greatest satisfaction was being able to accomplish and learn something new everyday.
sas programmer
Research assistant at Northeastern University (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJApril 17, 2015
Developed programs for Tables, Listings and Fugures. It's good company to work. Encourage us to learn more new technology.
Productive and friendly place to work
Sr. Sample Coordinator (Former Employee), richmond vaApril 3, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: Organization
Establishing work relationships with people over the years. This helped me maintain friendships. Overall management are unprepared leaders and hard to work for. The hardest part was establishing the work flow. Production is what drives everyday work flow.
Good for a start and finish
CRA (Former Employee), Blue Bell, PAMarch 17, 2015
Cons: Healthcare... but it's not that great
Working for PPD is a great way to get your foot in the door and gain a little experience. They don't offer much to assist in job development. You have to really work (on the side) to train yourself for other positions in the company.
Once you get starter experience, go somewhere else to excel. The bonuses aren't great for anyone who isn't a Project Manager or above. Same for the raises.
Once you receive recognition, and develop, at another company, then I recommend going back to PPD to reap the rewards they offer to the higher ups in the company. They don't care too much about their satellite sites; the employees raise money to pay for their own activities, and the winter party isn't what it used to be. At the moment, the current CEO only cares about the bottom line, and not the future. Everything is going overseas, except for CRAs and PMs. In the near future, this company will probably be chopped into pieces and sold off. Its just not what it once was.
My coworkers are the only thing that make this job bearable
Medical Communications Consultant Nurse (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: lowest pay rate in the industry, lack of break/lunches, expectation to accomplish 50 hours of work in a 40 hour work week
In my interview for this position I specifically asked how easy it is to move within/upwards in the company. The response I received was that the management team goes out of their way to expose you to experiences that will assist you in finding the right position for you within PPD. In reality, they do the exact opposite, trying to ensure you remain in the same position you were hired into. Many times I have sought assistance in gaining exposure to other roles (i.e. quality monitoring, pharmacovigilance, etc), but have been told "we just don't have time" and "we need to meet client needs, so we can't facilitate that." I understand they "need to meet client needs," but 1) I was told that this exposure would be easy to accomplish and 2) they fail to meet the needs of their employees and then wonder why the turn over rate is so high. Each day I dread coming to work because I know I will be greeted with new emails outlining even more work that I am responsible for. The policies that are in place are vague, at best, and management frequently sends out emails to clarify employee responsibility, only to send out another email two hours later contradicting their earlier statements (this is not an exaggeration; this happened twice last week, alone). It is a very difficult environment to work in, since you are never clear what your responsibilities are and they are continually adding more for nurses and pharmacists to do. Lately, they have even started taking away break and lunch times, forcing employees to attend work-related meetings and deeming them "working lunches" or "working breaks." – more... I personally don't consider it a working lunch/break unless the meal is paid for by the company (which it isn't) and you receive continuing education credit applicable towards your licensure (which you never do). They also interrogate you if you take a bathroom break that doesn't fall within your designated break time. When I first started working here I enjoyed it because the workload was manageable and I was grateful to only have 8 hour shifts (versus the 12+ hours I was used to in the hospital). Now that the novelty of the 8 hour day has worn off and they have added a lot more work that nurses and pharmacists are responsible for, there are no enjoyable aspects of my job. My coworkers are great and make for excellent support, but no amount of good company from coworkers could make this role worth it. – less
Good company, very large
Director, Global Project Management (Former Employee), USAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: hard to have a noticeable impact on the organization
PPD is a good company to work for. Full of talented people and the company treats its people well. It is a very large organization so it is hard to get noticed.
Corporate Redundancy Whatelse is New
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: onsite workout facility, clean restrooms, ample parking, working from home welcomed.
Cons: little to no managerial support. quick and hastly rushed protocol transition
There's a sink or swim mentality that's expected to be embraced within the specific department I worked in. Everyone is either too busy or plain just don't care if there are legitimate questions or concerns you have about your tasks. Everything is in a rush-rush mode, yet the resources needed are limited. For anyone wanting to move into pharmaceutical development, FDA, or clinical research, but don't have the life science degree many in the industry want you to have, this company will at least give you a shot. But even then, upward movement or professional development will have to be done on your terms and may cause you to have to uproot yourself from this organization once
Good place to start
Product Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great training
Cons: way too many to list
Training, second to none. Work culture, very poor. You are a cog in the wheel and go nowhere in the company without a fair amount of puckering up.