PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.)

PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.) Employee Reviews

Great for an Entry Level Job
ASSOCIATE GROUP LEADER (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 23, 2015
I like the job stability and the benefits are workable. The career progression is what you make it. I like that there are many different departments that are relatively easy to move between. They hire with little to no experience.
had its ups and downs
Research Technician (Former Employee), Metro center Drive austin tx 78744May 15, 2015
Cons: sometimes no breaks
I loved working for PPD it was probably one of the best jobs I've ever had even if I only had decent pay and unreliable hours with no benefits. My co workers were amazing and the work environment was wonderful.
Clinical Research Company
Sr. Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 8, 2015
Pros: the benefits
Cons: the travel
I can't say enough good things about PPD - the co-workers were excellent, the benefits were excellent, the job was fast and challenging - loved this no==job...
Productive place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCMay 6, 2015
Productive place to work to get hours and close to home very fun to meet new people every day also learn how to improve my customer service skills
Productive and nice place to work
Support Specialist (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCMay 5, 2015
Cons: lay off
I worked from home so I didn't go into the office often. Management was easily accessible. I enjoyed what I did until our department was laid off.
Productive & nice working enviorment
Commercial Coordinator Proposal Development (Former Employee), Middleton, WIApril 23, 2015
While supporting the Business Development Sales team, Lab Operations, Executive management and the Vice President I was given the opportunity to learn all aspects of the company from a business stand point and scientifically. PPD allowed me to grow culturally, build and maintain a high level of professionalism and was able to met some of the most amazing people. However, the greatest satisfaction was being able to accomplish and learn something new everyday.
sas programmer
Research assistant at Northeastern University (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJApril 17, 2015
Developed programs for Tables, Listings and Fugures. It's good company to work. Encourage us to learn more new technology.
Productive and friendly place to work
Sr. Sample Coordinator (Former Employee), richmond vaApril 3, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: Organization
Establishing work relationships with people over the years. This helped me maintain friendships. Overall management are unprepared leaders and hard to work for. The hardest part was establishing the work flow. Production is what drives everyday work flow.
Good for a start and finish
CRA (Former Employee), Blue Bell, PAMarch 17, 2015
Cons: Healthcare... but it's not that great
Working for PPD is a great way to get your foot in the door and gain a little experience. They don't offer much to assist in job development. You have to really work (on the side) to train yourself for other positions in the company.
Once you get starter experience, go somewhere else to excel. The bonuses aren't great for anyone who isn't a Project Manager or above. Same for the raises.
Once you receive recognition, and develop, at another company, then I recommend going back to PPD to reap the rewards they offer to the higher ups in the company. They don't care too much about their satellite sites; the employees raise money to pay for their own activities, and the winter party isn't what it used to be. At the moment, the current CEO only cares about the bottom line, and not the future. Everything is going overseas, except for CRAs and PMs. In the near future, this company will probably be chopped into pieces and sold off. Its just not what it once was.
My coworkers are the only thing that make this job bearable
Medical Communications Consultant Nurse (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: lowest pay rate in the industry, lack of break/lunches, expectation to accomplish 50 hours of work in a 40 hour work week
In my interview for this position I specifically asked how easy it is to move within/upwards in the company. The response I received was that the management team goes out of their way to expose you to experiences that will assist you in finding the right position for you within PPD. In reality, they do the exact opposite, trying to ensure you remain in the same position you were hired into. Many times I have sought assistance in gaining exposure to other roles (i.e. quality monitoring, pharmacovigilance, etc), but have been told "we just don't have time" and "we need to meet client needs, so we can't facilitate that." I understand they "need to meet client needs," but 1) I was told that this exposure would be easy to accomplish and 2) they fail to meet the needs of their employees and then wonder why the turn over rate is so high. Each day I dread coming to work because I know I will be greeted with new emails outlining even more work that I am responsible for. The policies that are in place are vague, at best, and management frequently sends out emails to clarify employee responsibility, only to send out another email two hours later contradicting their earlier statements (this is not an exaggeration; this happened twice last week, alone). It is a very difficult environment to work in, since you are never clear what your responsibilities are and they are continually adding more for nurses and pharmacists to do. Lately, they have even started taking away break and lunch times, forcing employees to attend work-related meetings and deeming them "working lunches" or "working breaks." – more... I personally don't consider it a working lunch/break unless the meal is paid for by the company (which it isn't) and you receive continuing education credit applicable towards your licensure (which you never do). They also interrogate you if you take a bathroom break that doesn't fall within your designated break time. When I first started working here I enjoyed it because the workload was manageable and I was grateful to only have 8 hour shifts (versus the 12+ hours I was used to in the hospital). Now that the novelty of the 8 hour day has worn off and they have added a lot more work that nurses and pharmacists are responsible for, there are no enjoyable aspects of my job. My coworkers are great and make for excellent support, but no amount of good company from coworkers could make this role worth it. – less
Good company, very large
Director, Global Project Management (Former Employee), USAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: hard to have a noticeable impact on the organization
PPD is a good company to work for. Full of talented people and the company treats its people well. It is a very large organization so it is hard to get noticed.
Corporate Redundancy Whatelse is New
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: onsite workout facility, clean restrooms, ample parking, working from home welcomed.
Cons: little to no managerial support. quick and hastly rushed protocol transition
There's a sink or swim mentality that's expected to be embraced within the specific department I worked in. Everyone is either too busy or plain just don't care if there are legitimate questions or concerns you have about your tasks. Everything is in a rush-rush mode, yet the resources needed are limited. For anyone wanting to move into pharmaceutical development, FDA, or clinical research, but don't have the life science degree many in the industry want you to have, this company will at least give you a shot. But even then, upward movement or professional development will have to be done on your terms and may cause you to have to uproot yourself from this organization once
Good place to start
Product Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great training
Cons: way too many to list
Training, second to none. Work culture, very poor. You are a cog in the wheel and go nowhere in the company without a fair amount of puckering up.
Hard environment to work in.
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: focused on tradition and not willing to change
While the co-workers were always great, PPD is a difficult place to work due to the lack of correct planning by management, leaving the employees to work extremely long hours when they really don't have to.

It is very difficult to get new ideas to take off in the company, which is unable to discuss change with its customers, but would rather bend over to the customer's desires without offering a better way for both the customer and PPD.

Most jobs are being outsourced to overseas locations, resulting in continual lay-offs which are not publicized in the local news. A majority of those laid off seem to be over 40, so the company is trending toward younger and less expensive workers.

I would lean toward Quintiles or another large CRO who has a real chance of changing with the economic times and taking care of their employees.
OK but
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pay low, work load high, and high turn over rate. Management needs to provide more support for workers, address the turnover to keep good employees. Location and working from home is great but limited flexibility.
Merrie Hallman
Sr. Global Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCDecember 17, 2014
Up and moving company. Great place to work. Global. Mostly enjoyed all the friends I made throughout the world and the daily interaction with them. Friends for life. Great benefits. Learned a great deal and gained great experience
very stressful
Associate Scientist - Cell Based Assays (Current Employee), Wayne, PAOctober 31, 2014
The work was very stressful. The people were nice. Job security was poor.
Strong company with management issues
Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: benefits, co-workers, it support
Cons: work/life balance, management
This is a strong company with integrity that continues to improve and expand. In the past few years, the focus on personnel has changed from being personal to production based. Additionally, production expectation has skyrocketed while continued perfection in quality is maintained. Thus, meeting timelines is quite stressful and work/life balance has increasingly been dominated by work into the evenings and on the weekends. This is a sad change from the department atmosphere where employees and management had time for socialization to improve team and department attitudes, share work ideas, and improve work performance.
My experience with management was plagued with poor mentorship, lack of assistance for advancement, and finally, misguidedly pre-judged into a specific category. There are excellent managers in our department. Unfortunately, I was not assigned to one.
PPD offers a variety of activities for employees and many self improvement classes for those who have the time to take advantage of them.
Finally, I had several awesome co-workers/team members who willingly shared others workload and were always available to discuss problem issues. Unfortunately, there are many others who will "throw you under the bus" to appear more efficient and impress management. This is par in most companies now and a sad reflection of job performance evaluations.
Very Productive and a Nice Place to work
Senior Data Processing Technician (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCOctober 9, 2014
Pros: very flexible
Cons: no cons
PPD is a very nice place to work. EMployees worked well together to meet deadline, and production.
Great Entry Level Job
Project Assistant (Current Employee), Blue Bell, PASeptember 14, 2014
Great for entry level work; great management; great work environment; LOTS of work

1 2 3 4 5

About PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.)

PPD is a leading global contract research organization providing drug discovery, development, lifecycle management and laboratory – Read more

PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.) Salaries