PPG Industries Employee Reviews

Semi-Enjoyable Workplace, Ups and Downs, Good Benefits and Job Security
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 29, 2016
We analyze samples for root cause analysis, defect analysis and troubleshoot problems that can occur in the manufacturing process. A plethora of information was learned about the different types of coatings that are used in our everyday lives. The hardest part of the job was meeting the demands of management and customer satisfaction; large customer base and high expectations. The best part of the job was the use of the equipment and the critical thinking that was required in order to perform the job on a day-to-day basis.
Pros
Compenstation, Job Security, Critical thinking
Cons
Average Management, Poor Work/Life Balance
Flexible without Constant Supervision
Draw Down Expert / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2016
My Ideas and Changes for the Department were taking seriously, also passed on to other locations.
Enjoy working with the Paint/Colors; and dealing with Sales Rep's & Contractors.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, not micro management
Cons
unpaid half hr lunches, Low Pay Raises, not seen for upgrades on draw downs.
Productive and fun workplace but serious
Forklift Operator/Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAOctober 14, 2016
Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment.
You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job.
Very Unorganized
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bremen, GANovember 18, 2016
Chaos! Management doesn't know anything day to day. Calls in the middle of the night. No benefits offered. There is no job security because everyone is fair game to the lies.
Local Management are amatures. Don't waste you time.
tooling technition (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CAJune 1, 2016
Professionals need not apply. Local managers make up the rules as they go along and area supervisors are fresh out college. They don't have a clue what they are looking at. Work culture is more like a High School peer group. The common workers are ok but if the peer group or supervisor don't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. Hardest part of the job wasn't the job at all, it was all the politics. The most enjoyable part was leaving PPG for a better company. What I learned was that it takes about a year to figure out that PPG was not a place for any career path. Corporate seems to be oblivious to problems there.
Pros
Leaving the company
Cons
Wasted 2 years of my professional lfe there.
Fiberglass Industry
Fixer (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCJuly 23, 2016
Long-term employment opportunity with this company. Advancements within the company are available if interested.
12-hour rotating shifts are expected.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Pay and benefits not competitive
Too big for its britches
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 26, 2016
Company is too big. Too much of a corporate atmosphere. At a sales meeting they actually showed a slide that demonstrated how they saved money one year by not giving raises and cutting starting salaries for sales reps. Managers seem like they don't care about employees just the bottom line. Not a family atmosphere.
Pros
I got to build relationships, and sell paint.
Cons
pay, managers, everything else
great company and culture
HR Specialist, Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Budapest, MOSeptember 9, 2016
I worked for PPG Hungary for over a year. One of the best companies I have worked for. Company culture is really good, strong connection between management and employees, many opportunities for development, regular feedbacks about performance from management
Pros
company culture, stability
Cons
No job security/Lack of trust
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Mojave, CAJune 19, 2016
Worked here almost a decade,learned every aspect of the place... new management came in and cleaned house.. if you got a chance to vote union do it asap.. vote for management that know the process,that are employee friendly and not just a yes man... Mojave plant is probably the worst plant to work for.. so much politics,rules change when there in favor of getting the job done.. not by the book.So much material is bad,yet the customers have yet to be notified.. this plant is a joke.
Pros
If you like working Saturday and Sundays
Cons
Poor management, pay is weak, no company morals
Great Company to work for
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJuly 22, 2016
The big umbrella of PPG has a good benefit and compensation program. Management is a little loose which provided great job security.
Benefits
Filthy fiberglass plant.
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCOctober 5, 2016
I worked with temp agency GCA for PPG. The work was easy but the environment was terrible. The plant is so dirty and full of fiberglass everywhere. You can tell the fiberglass dust is years old and all they do is sweep floors and keep the machines cleaned. You also have to beg for PPE. Pay was also not good considering the long hours of exposure to fiberglass and mandatory 60hr/week overtime. The PPG direct hires were getting paid almost twice as much as the Temps for pretty much the same work. This plant has a very high turnover which is easily fixable by having either partime crew or 8hr shifts instead of rotating 2 12hr days and 2 12hr nights.
Pros
Adequate breaks.
Cons
Everything else.
Good Benefits - Bad Work / Life Balance
finance (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAAugust 5, 2016
Decent place to work depending on what area / manager you have. It seems to depend on who you know rather than what you know to be promoted. Pay and benefits are good but long hours and large workloads are typical.
Pros
Good Pay & Benefits
Cons
Long hours & little flexibilty depending on manager
not training new employees correctly,communication is bad
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mt. Holly Springs, PAJune 19, 2016
There is no communication,management does not communicate with the supervisors/employees.I learn how to supervise more than 30+employees,co-workers were great we worked with each other to get the job done.Working 7days a week onto of swing shift.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
swing shift and 7 days a week
What I'm seeing here is not what I'm hearing in orientation
worker bee (Current Employee) –  Calexico, CAFebruary 13, 2016
too bad I was hoping that this was my opportunity to
stay with a good company, and what I mean by good is
Management, work/life Balance ,Advancement Opportunity, Benefits
but the recurring theme here at all U S facilities is that I might just want the experience to get with a better company. The only real
glowing pro's and nearly nil con's are coming from "Manager's". Bummer
Pros
I have a job
Cons
don't know yet
No Opportunity for Advancement for non-PhD
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 28, 2016
I enjoy the aspects of my actually job. Unfortunately the enviornment is horrible. After five years of hard work there is still little to no consideration for a promotion. All the company cares about is if you have a PhD. If so, you can get promoted in a year and a half. If not, don't hold your breath. The only way for someone without a PhD to move up is to jump around which is unfortunate when you actually like your daily work.
Pros
Advanced analytical techniques
Cons
Poor work environment
Solid place to work with plenty of opportunity
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PANovember 18, 2016
PPG is a fantastic employer in the Pittsburgh area, with the size and reach that such a large company has, there is plenty of opportunity to move up. The credit department is a great place to get started, with a lot of room for growth, and a well-paced environment run by a sound management core.
Fun Company
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 11, 2016
PPG is a great place to work. It is fairly laid-back and easy to get along with co-workers. The company is successful, steady, and continuing to grow! I would call this a "cake job."
Pros
Flexible schedule, easy work, good people
Cons
Raises are small
Productive work.
OHPA Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 17, 2016
Overall PPG was one of the best places I have ever worked. The demands were boundless but the management valued my input and put into action multiple plans/protocols I had suggested. The quarterly meetings that showed the efficiency of the work we were doing and the amount of profit our division contributed made me feel important to the company success. Weekly meeting to discuss issues with training session that were free to partake in made working their pleasant. The hardest part of my job working in a clean room, was the high temperatures and getting use to the fast paced work involving material coming in to the lab and meeting shipping dead lines for products. I learned a lot about vacuum systems and different types of products and what devices these products are used for.
Pros
Free lunches, Safety training's, discount with a PPG ID.
Cons
Very loud, materials stain clothing.
Good Place to work
Opeator (Former Employee) –  New Martinsville, WVJuly 17, 2016
I would recommend PPG to anyone looking for a career job. Good pay and benefits and opportunity to learn new jobs. Great place to progress in the company
Nice place with a lot of annoying aspects
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHAugust 23, 2016
Most of the people you meet are very nice. The closer you get to management, the more you start to realize how much unnecessary drama there is. Everyone talks behind each others' backs. They will not let you know if you are going to be let go or give you a heads up. They will just end your contract (I was a contractor) without warning and derail your future. Good co-workers, bad management.
Pros
Free lunch every once in a while
Cons
Too much gossip/drama, no warning about termination