PPG Industries Employee Reviews

Machine Operator
Mulco/Filler Operator (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 21, 2017
Filler runs a machine for eight hours Monday thru Friday and sometimes Saturdays for overtime. Operator has to have all PPE, which are hard hat, steel toe shoes, gloves and ear plugs.
Systems Tech/Tempered Glass Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXNovember 21, 2017
PPG is now known as Vitro Architectural Glass and it is a good place to work. It is fast-paced and detail-oriented and quality is a must. They have good pay and good benefits and I would recommend it to anyone.
Nice people, good resume builder
Raw Materials Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PANovember 20, 2017
days are often slow and boring, but you get to work directly with people all over the world. The team is fun and hours are flexible. The benefits are nonexistent as are vacation days and paid holidays
Stability
TEMPERING TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 13, 2017
Rotating 12hr shifts (6-6), great benefits (a nicely loaded package), low pay (2 tier system), advancement opportunities (they post jobs in-house first), undereducated supervision (no minimum requirements).
Pros
Stability and advancement
Cons
low pay and treated poorly by first line supervisors
They micro manage
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 13, 2017
Be prepared to look over your shoulder when the numbers aren’t right. Managers will micro manage you and set unrealistic goals for you to meet or you’ll be shown the door.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Micromanagent
Not ideal place of work
ASSEMBLER FILLER (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 8, 2017
Not a temperature controlled job.
No employee appreciation.
Learned how to be hands on with tools.
Staying cool in a workplace being incredibly hot or way too cold was the hardest part.
Difficult to work for when contributions are not recognized
Reactor Operator (Current Employee) –  Springdale, PANovember 5, 2017
bad schedule, bad pay, bad management. the job requires technical know-how and decision making, often physical labor. however the employees are not adequately compensated for their knowledge and abilities
Too much work and cutthroat
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MINovember 3, 2017
Not very up to date and disrespectful workers. Work your butt off and not show anything for it. Bad work environment and lazy coworkers that will not help enough when busy and did not train fast enough.
Has changed drastically over the years
Sr. Systems Analyst / B.I. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 2, 2017
The company has turned into a cut throat cost cutting machine and is only concerned about cutting costs and people. I.T. services are being outsourced to Europe and Malaysia and local employees are being let go to support this strategy.
Excellent employer
Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2017
PPG Industries provides opportunities to their employees (different experiences / positions).
Management involved in day to day operations.
Would recommend.
Enjoyed working with people
Senior Technical Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 27, 2017
I answered phone calls concerning paint issues and recommendations.Average calls a day varied from 40-80 depending on time of year. I was responsible for issuing warranties for jobs using proper products.
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
To many complaints from customers
Great World-Class leader in coatings
Head Lab-Tech (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44111October 27, 2017
Opportunities for advancment, working in the lab, testing and approving batchs of E-Coatings, and Topcoats.

Supplier and Customer relationship.

Advancement into Powdercoatings R&D.
Pros
Freedom in relaxed atmosphere
The truth is
DOT Driver, store sales. (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 27, 2017
In my market there have been 5 managers that have left PPG to go manage for a competitor. The truth is, PPG pays the lowest out of all the major coatings companies. I transport over 10,000 pounds of paint multiple times a week at any given time (6 pallets), DOT certified, as well as tint, shake and palletize that paint. Handle customer walk-ins, don't make mistakes. Operate a forklift, put up inventory, and also pass out promotion flyers on my off time all for 12 bucks an hour. I walked into a local burger joint in northern California recently. 13 bucks an hour to make hamburgers. Was really depressing. Other than that I love my managers, coworkers and customers. In my case, it just seems they would rather let a good worker go (including managers) than give them an honest wage. Like I said,. We hit our numbers every year and still nothing.
Pros
Good coworkers and customers.
Cons
Corporate and share holders
Great environment - lots of changes
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 24, 2017
Company was changing drastically and acquiring a lot of businesses while I was there. Store personnel weren't the priority of upper management. Viewed as easily replaceable so I gave them the opportunity to replace me.
Horrible work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2017
Horrible place to work all around unless you once worked for Heinz or you are a favorite. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone!!!! Very stressful place to be and way over worked.
Great culture
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 17, 2017
Lots of old timers here which means great job security . It's a staple in Cleveland, and is a company I am proud to work for. The second shift hours are not for me though
Decent Place to work but this company is your competitor in other stores
Professional Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAOctober 14, 2017
Good place to work but the pay is a lot less than competitors. Also, they sell other brands in other stores, so you will be competing with your own brand. They have some good products coming out for Home Depot.
Pros
Car, Cell Phone, Laptop, Some free lunches
Cons
Pay
Needs new management.
Filler Operator (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXOctober 13, 2017
Would be great place to work if management knew what they were doing. Verbal threats and abuse seem to be allowed from supervision. As mentioned above, no corrective action other than termination. And since the rules change every day, its hard to do you're job with someone constantly waiting for you to mess up.HR complaints go unanswered for months. Other than that, the fellow workers on the floor are great people, pay isn't bad, and there is always something to do to kill time. The rewards program isn't real bad, but the way it works almost makes the teamwork effort obsolete.
Pros
Company activities, quarterly cook outs.
Cons
Short lunch, no leadership, poor decisions, no professionalism, low morale.
Ppg
Industrial Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 11, 2017
On a typical day at work an occupational health nurse was responsible for 500+ employees health concerns. Ranging from occupational illness & injuries, management of employees on sick leave & long term disability. Screenings to include vision, hearing, respirator, health promotions. The hardest part of my job was the workload, needing additional staff to fully accomplish set and required goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was being there for the employees. Being able to assist them and make a difference in their lives.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Travel distance to work & no room for advancement in job or salary
Hands Off Approach to Managing
Regional Manager, Southern Virginia (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 9, 2017
A great company that looks out for its employees, offers unlimited training and expects the employees to make time for their families. PPG wants their employees to have a well rounded life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPG Industries. Our community is ready to answer.