PPG Industries Employee Reviews

Somewhat productive and enjoyable workplace.
Extruder Operator/Grinder Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 22, 2013
Most days PPG was a productive place to work.Sometimes there would be some undue downtime due to a certain product that was being ran.You were cross trained on different jobs ,so you were not always doing the same job every day.Management could use more polishing,not the greatest communicators to everyone.Co-workers are great to work with.They try to get together at times to do activities.The hardest part of the job was working overtime and saturdays when it made mandatory.
Pros
company dinners 3 or more times a year.
PPG Aerospace
QC(leader) (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 8, 2014
Great Place to work. A reliable, capable and enthusiastic supervisor/ Lead who is able to take on the management and coordinating duties of any leadership role.Possessing extensive experience of supporting, developing and motivating teams to do better and to drive continuous improvements across a range of work activities. Also having a track record of coming up with practical improvement initiatives which enhance a company’s overall effectiveness and harnesses the latent potential of its workers. Currently looking to join a suitable organization that rewards hard work and offers
good opportunities for career development.
Great People, but too old school and top heavy
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Multiple OfficesJuly 23, 2014
PPG does a great job of hiring people with an easy going personality. So far I've met very few people who are difficult to work with. If you want to move around (selling point for a recent grad) PPG moves people all over, and their relocation package is solid.

The downside, upper management is always asking for feedback, but never follow up once they get it.
Pros
great coworkers/company culture, opportunity to advance, frequent relocation
Cons
micro managed, top heavy, lack of concern for employee
No day is ever the same
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Boston AreaJanuary 28, 2014
A typical day at work is not a typical day at all. In any one day I can be dealing with part time workers all the way up the chain to upper regional management, and end consumers with in my territory.

I focus on product training, plans to grow the business and help end consumers feel comfortable with my products.

I am on the road but have access to my management with and email or phone call and they are always helpful. All the reps talk to one another and share success and help solve problems.
Pros
getting to work autonomously, seeing business plans implemented and succeeding
Cons
salary and chance for growth
Introduction to Career Life
QC - Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 10, 2014
Company seems to have its heart in the right place. However, many of us were hired on as temporary workers and given no benefits to speak of. On top of that I spoke with a few people who worked there who had been let go only to be hired back on at less pay and no benefits.

While I don't think this defines the company it certainly wasn't a selling point for me.

On a positive note it was a nice industrial lab experience for myself and the starting pay was up to my standard.
Financially secure company.
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 26, 2014
My day would start at 7am at the store location doing computer work, sage, price quotes. That to be successful you need to continually be growing your business while maintaining the business that you currently have. Management was hands on as long as you reached out to them. My co-workers were the best, very friendly and supportive. Juggling all the accounts I had over 300 accounts and growing. The people by far was the best part of this job from co-workers to customers.
Pros
benefits, 401k, insurance.
Cons
one mistake and you are out of a job.
Good People but Slow moving
Environmental, Health and Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Allison Park, PAJanuary 20, 2013
While this job was a great learning experience from the Environmental stand point the overall work place was slow moving. The company as a whole had a older average age which lead to odd generational gaps and differences in the work place when dealing with computers and technology. I had a great experience with my co-workers but due the age gap nothing really expanded beyond idle chatter. I think the hardest part of the job was keeping busy, I really wanted to working constantly but due to the lack of technology knowledge upper level management could not keep me busy.
Testing Automotive Paint in a Lab
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WISeptember 14, 2015
A typical day at work started with a grid that tells us when samples of paint were due. We would take the pre-assembled folder and the gallon of paint and perform the appropriate tests. I learned how to mentally manage multiple tasks. My co-workers came from all ages and we mingled while we were working. It was a great balance. The hardest part of the job was getting the tests in the required specifications. The most enjoyable was being able to work by myself on my own time but also chat with co-workers.
Produtive and serious work place
Lead Mulco Operator (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 16, 2014
There are days that the labor is really easy and there are times that the machines are running poorly. My partner and I on the line have to sign off the paper work to make sure that we are packaging the correct tubes, lids and product. The hardest part of the job is working in the summer because it gets really hot inside the warehouse and during the winter it's just as bad as the weather outside. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting off of work for me but to be honest working with someone that has a sense of humor.
Transition from Akzo Nobel to PPG was pretty smooth
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHMay 24, 2014
Was working for Akzo Nobel when PPG acquired our Architectural Coatings business and moved it to their HQ in Pittsburgh, PA. Since only there one year it is difficult to answer this question other than to say, under the circumstances they made it a fair place to work. A typical day at work would have been to train the personnel from PA that were going to be needing to learn our systems, etc.in order to do the job. Which was also the hardest part of the job.
Good job to get machinery experience
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAApril 10, 2014
A typical day of work consists of operating either a packer or running the stacking cranes. I have learned a lot when dealing with heavy machinery. The management is usually in tune and responsive. There are hectic days when people are running around wild but they always get it figured out in a timely manner. My co-workers are very helpful and great to work with. The hardest part of the job is the swing shift schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is you can get a lot of opportunities with fork lifts, pack trucks, and other heavy machinery.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
swing shift
Ideal for the self motivated
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 19, 2012
Being an auditor was a favorable change of pace for me, not desiring a micro-manager above me constantly, I was free to set my own schedule and plan accordingly with little to no oversight. Traveling around the country was enjoyable at first until I married and my wife was pregnant, but this is ideal for someone that can manage themselves, provide the needed results, and is single.
Pros
all meals, accommodations and travel paid for, company car
Cons
long work weeks, at the mercy of your travel plans and weather
Affords ability to set own schedule as long as customer requirements are met.
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa/Minnesota/Nebraska/WisconsinJuly 28, 2015
For the most part PPG is a great company. Recent years, less focus on developing employees and more focus on control of information. Field employees at one time were made to feel like a valued part of the organization and were treated as professional. The focus since 2010 shifted drastically towards constant reminders that ones job could easily be eliminated.
Pros
Work from home based office
Cons
More and more paperwork every year.
PPG Industries Review
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 27, 2014
Customer Service Hub Manager for ~ 30 CSR's, Team Leads, and Supervisors for the US/CA Protective and Marine Coatings Division. Typical day involves managing time and attendance, domestic and export teams, training and development, project management, escalation management, monthly reporting and key performance indicators. Thoroughly enjoy this current position and company.
Pros
working with minimal supervision as the department head, excellent functional support
Cons
the position is in little rock, ar and is not where i would like to be long-term
Demanding Place but Good Benefits
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 22, 2014
For 33 years I did about every job in the plant. I also worked in a Lab, developing custom colors for OEM.
Eight hours of hard work. Adequate breaks and lunch break. Provided enough materials but not enough equipment to do your job ergonomically.
Learned from every position I held at PPG. The most enjoyable part of the job was troubleshooting. I knew enough about paint that I could figure things out.
Pros
benefits and vacation time
Cons
not enough of proper equipment to perform the task more efficiently.
Well known throughout Pittsburgh
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Allison Park, PAJuly 2, 2015
I enjoy working at PPG they play a great role throughout the Pittsburgh area. They are extremely dedicated to their charitable activities and contributions. Although I don't mind working for them as an outside contractor, I would like the opportunity to actually be a full time PPG employee, they seem to hire most of their employees on this basis. It is difficult to fully appreciate your position when you are not confident that you have job security.
Cons
They keep their employees as outside contractors
My Current Work Ethic
Full-Time-Mail/Direct Draw Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 11, 2015
I encounter a long but productive day at work. I have learned more ways to increase my time management skills. My co-workers are active hard workers. The hardest part of my job is working the 2 overnight shifts and having to drive 30 miles home afterwards. Also being drafted to work whether your able to or not. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is the learning the very different work ethic.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, Short breaks and break times
Lots of mandatory overtime and poor managment, but coworkers are good people.
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 16, 2014
Typically 48 to 58 hour mandatory weeks.

Some bias between first and second shift (all overtime days first shift is supplied breakfast while second shift has never received anything).

Lots of veterans employees that are known to take it slow and push for the 56-58 hour weeks.

Upper management promotions are questionable and often not based on merit.

Production workers are typically nice and enjoyable people.

Good benefits and competitive pay for the area.
Pros
job secruity, quartly attendance bonuses, lots of overtime
Cons
poor production and plant managment, lots of overtime
IT at PPG
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 17, 2015
Overall working in IT at PPG is challenging and engaging. The company has so much infrastructure and such a diverse culture that there is always something to learn.
There are a lot of really good people working at PPG and it makes it a really positive experience to work with folks that enjoy coming to work every day.
PPG has a very serious commitment to safety and ethics. A lot of effort is put into the overall goal of Every one goes home safe, every day.
Pros
variety of challenges, stability, working with good people
Cons
size of the organization can pose a challenge and luckily I enjoy a challenge
very busy job
Warehouseman/Forklift Operator/retired (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHJune 26, 2014
I worked nonstop except for breaks. I learned you are a team and must work together as one. If you were asked by management to do something you went ahead without compliant and did the job.
The hardest part was trying to do the job completely in the time
allotted. The most enjoyable was working with your fellow
employees that you admired.
Pros
we had a summer activities that was paid for
Cons
hard work and alot of heavy lifting