PPG Industries Employee Reviews

Good job, not for me.
Applications Team Intern (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 1, 2016
PPG is an excellent place for anyone interested in chemical engineering and paint. I always felt like a necessary member of the team and my coworkers were very welcoming and hopeful of my future advancement in the company. The hardest part of the job is waiting for everything to go through processes.
great
Cationic Batch Processor (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIDecember 8, 2016
i love my job here at ppgs i get paid well and they treat us decent. my only problem with ppg is the chemicals i am not a big fan of working with all them nasty products
Dirty but good job for the area.
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  TXNovember 13, 2013
Working as an Electronic Technician in the glass division is rewarding and frustrating at the same time. There is basically zero training - you are just thrown into a facility that covers hundreds of acres and learn as you go. If you want to work hard and excel, or if you want to hide out and never progress you are able to do so and there is no difference in pay. It is a great place to get some trial by fire experience, but the advancement opportunities are few and the compensation is not that great. That being said, I have learned alot and have worked with some great people. Management is just concerned with the bottom line and does not invest in their employees.
Pros
Work with a wide variety of obsolete to high tech equipment
Cons
Lack of training, low compensation, lack of advancement opportunities, very little overtime.
Difficult work environment
Global EH&S Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PADecember 11, 2015
Part of a self directed team that was not kept in the loop very often and poorly communicated with. Stability in assigned goals and expectations was difficult to manage daily workload.
Pros
Co-workers worked hard and were focused on achieving high performance
Cons
Short-sighted upper management, technology low priority and operations pays price, poor communications and too much petty politics
Ppg
Chemical Mixer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 9, 2017
Demonstrating skills in material handling,shipping, receiving, chemical mixing and warehousing demands that can be used to increase profit and growth.
Good place to work, and raise a family. Put three kids thru college.
Dock scheduler (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PASeptember 17, 2016
i workedf first 8 years in production next 36 years in the Shipping department of which the last 12 years I was the dock scheduler (Scheduled trucks for loading, approximately 150 loads per week)
Lots of mandatory overtime and poor managment, but coworkers are good people.
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 16, 2014
Typically 48 to 58 hour mandatory weeks.

Some bias between first and second shift (all overtime days first shift is supplied breakfast while second shift has never received anything).

Lots of veterans employees that are known to take it slow and push for the 56-58 hour weeks.

Upper management promotions are questionable and often not based on merit.

Production workers are typically nice and enjoyable people.

Good benefits and competitive pay for the area.
Pros
Job Secruity, quartly attendance bonuses, lots of overtime
Cons
Poor production and plant managment, lots of overtime
Work with base PPG workers on SAP Implementation
Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXOctober 13, 2015
Run sales, inventory and forecast daily to create production schedule for 3 plants. Cover 8 distribution centers including Canada and Puerto Rico. Review demand and allocation for over 200's skus including international orders.
Conference call with team from other locations to discuss major and minor issues. Promotion and obsolescent materials must be dealt with properly.
Meet with Production and Management to review daily demand and look out at least 7days for potential shortages.
Pros
People
Cons
No opportunity to grow
Professional, great environment, great people
PROJECT COORDINATOR - ASSISTANT PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2016
This was one of my more favorable jobs. I left only because I got what I thought was a better position with another company. Looking back I would have stayed at PPG because it was the best all around work experience.
Pros
Work life balance, professional atmosphere, experience
Cons
Begninning pay scale, contracts could run short
great company i learnd alot there
Transparency machinist (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CASeptember 5, 2016
Good company good people short lunch my only complaint.managment is great they will always give you training if you ask for it work tools are the best quality just a great place to work.
Productive and Great place to work, Great enviroment.
Lead-Man Associate (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for PPG, the management was great and very inspiring and would always motivate you to succeed in the company.
Pros
Bonuses, free lunches, personal days++, gift perks
Cons
Not enough Holidays off
If they would pay you for the amount of responsibility it still wouldn't be enough
PAINT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  MIAMI , FLMarch 29, 2015
Schedule varies from 6am to 7pm depending on location
Employees have no saying on what direction the company might be heading .
Management fires employees for giving there opinion
Pay is terrible
the part I enjoy the most overall in the company is going to other interviews and saying that PPG is the biggest paint supplier in the world . A great company with their products but don't treat there employees the right way .
Been working in the company 1 year had a 25 cent raise , no advancement
Pros
Get A good Workout on a Daily basis
Cons
Everything Else, Real disappointment
Great company 2 work for
Territory / Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Central and Southern NJ / Eastern Pa.February 16, 2016
My career started with ICI Paints. After 5yrs Akzo Nobel purchased ICI's shares. I enjoyed working for both companies. They made me feel like I was part of the team / organization versus just a number and a body that worked Mon-Fri.
PPG purchased Akzo Nobels shares in 2000. PPG already had a sales force established prior to acquiring the shares. They combined my position into one at a lower pay scale.
Pros
Great Company / A new experience everyday
Cons
Job security
Industry customer satifaction
Customer Service Support (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILDecember 7, 2015
My job was simply to make sure the customer was happy with our product. I was also responsible for checking temperature and viscosity of out paints. I learned the different aspects of how a car is made and the quality checks that go on, before a car is assembled and shipped.

The co workers are amazing. We were a small group that made sure everyone else was able to perform to the best of their abilities. Management at times was hard to work with as we all worked different shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers. However, working 3rd shift, weekends, and holidays was hard on the family life. There was also no room to move up in management. I simply felt stuck.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No upward movement, hours.
Productive workplace that builds teamwork and efficiencies
Sr. Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2013
Support customer needs from a customer service and operational aspect. Learned about the importance of standard operating procedures and how they provide consistency to customers and to the organization. Regional management displays understanding of the satellite facilities and shows support for all needs and challenges. Majority of co-workers were true team players who shared in knowledge and accepted team members input to make operations better for all. Hardest part of the job was balancing demands from sales with company procedures while always working to meet and exceed customer expectations. Most enjoyable part of my job was the strong relationships formed with long time customers and co-workers from all over the country.
Pros
benefits and job security
Cons
lack of opportunity for advancement regionally
Treat employees well.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXApril 28, 2016
Work environment is hot as it involves work around large furnaces, the work is demanding at times, management is generally fair and consistent in day to day dealings with employees.
Skill Developing and Productive Work Enviornment
Production Aluminum Bonding Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 19, 2015
Since starting with PPG Industries 13 years ago I've handled a number of responsibilities. My typical workday consists of weighing and measuring raw materials, loading raw materials into the mixer according to the batch formula specifications, discharging the batch and transporting it to the extruder to disburse the color in a heating and cooling system. Working in this environment has developed my time management skills. I have learned from my management team the importance of preparation through a Lean program they have implemented for more successful productivity. I have also learned the importance of developing relationships with my co-workers to obtain and positive and fun work atmosphere; which I consider to be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Recognition Program, Skill Development
Cons
No Advancement Opportunities
Low pay, no advancement, but high values and job security
Lab Technician (contract) (Current Employee) –  PAMarch 11, 2013
PPG's philosphy when it comes to contract workers is to keep them under contract and not hire them on after their contract expires (they opt to renew it under a different title to skirt the law). So far, been under contract for a year and only 1 full time position has became available (One of the other contractors who was here much longer than I got the job). Pay is VERY low, think McDonalds Manager + 5 years expericence. Yes, I know this is on my contract company, but PPG is legally allowed to opt for pay raises, they just refuse to.
Pros
good work/life balance, job security as they are "afraid to lose talent"
Cons
low pay, no/rare advancement
Overall Great Company
STORE ASSOCIATE/ DELIVERY DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Citrus Heights Ca.July 10, 2015
My mornings start early which works out just fine for me being a morning person, I come in i greet my co-workers with a smile in my voice which i think it makes for a great start to any day. I prioritize me work load and my day begins. i love working with my co-workers and getting the job done in a timely manner because for me time management is a key part in getting my job done timely and safely with safety being first. There is no hard part to my job, for me just getting the job done by all means is the most important part.The most enjoyable part of job is customer satisfaction.
Pros
Great customers service from all employees.
Cons
No benefits for part time employees. I need a full time position
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHAugust 1, 2016
Very good place to work at.People believe in team work at the job.Safety is a strong focus at work.I love my job and the people there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPG Industries. Our community is ready to answer.