PPL Corporation

PPL Corporation Employer Reviews

Not many females in IT or any kind of leadership in IT
Lead Operations Engineer (Current Employee), Allentown, PADecember 29, 2013
Pros: it department does many projects
Cons: mostly contractors
No comp for OT and no work life balance. Morale is very bad among employees.
Great Place to work as a Coop
Distribution Planning Coop (Former Employee), Allentown PAMay 27, 2013
Worked on Smart Grid; where I gathered a years worth of data on PPL’s Grid, created a excel program to determine the limiting factor of power transfers, decided where protection devices could be added and upgraded to improve reliability and performance, created maps of current grid and future distribution power grid for comparison and reasoning for – more... doing so. – less
Great company with great benefits
Administrative Coordinator, Human Resources (Current Employee), Allentown, PAJanuary 9, 2013
This is a great company to work for. I am proud to work for such a great organizaiton. My co-workers are professional and I've learned new skills such as SharePoint and PeopleSoft.
Stay away
journeyman line (Current Employee), Telford, PADecember 5, 2012
Cons: poor management
Management is poor and support of workstaff is non-existant.
See below
Network Engineer (Current Employee), PAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: good people
Cons: short staffed, unrealistic timeframes, red tape, old equipment
Frustrating, there is a lot of process, work typically gets delayed due to various reasons, very demanding work schedule, poor management (many, not all)

Unlucky1 – April 27, 2013

The computer system is obsolete. Billing, estimating, record tracking is all done on an excel spreadsheet and very barbaric. The records are very inaccurate. Disgruntled employee's make it impossible to research data properly.

PPL revolving door
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee), AllentownAugust 31, 2011
Pros: great benefits
Cons: 60 hour work week with no comp or overtime, no training, no stability, no communication between departments
I worked for PPL for approximately 1 1/2 years. I noticed that Management was not secure in their positions and were moved frequently sometimes with no notification at all. This made it extremely difficult for new employees in new departments. With each new boss came new goals and ideas, only to come in and realize someone else in your department was – more... plucked from their job and relocated to another department or offered a severance package. The job you bid may not be the job your in two months later. There was no stability in my department. Jobs were left as is with no updates from relocated or departed employees. Training was next to impossible due to work load and deadlines and lack of people to provide training. Tracking documentation was just as frustrating caused by frequent movement and left as is.

A normal work day was 10 to 12 hours in the office which did not include the time you worked from home on week nights or weekends. There is no flex time or overtime. They are not open to new ideas and seem to put up a wall to the new Managers who were brought in from reputable companies making their jobs more difficult. There was a bonus but your portion could be distributed to whom ever they felt like giving a larger portion to even if the group as a whole met the same goals.

Positive notes: Benefits were great. There are a few stable departments which work normal hours and the bosses have been in the department a reasonable amount of time and have experience in what they do. There is harmony and nice working conditions if you are fortunate enough to land in one of those few departments.

I was overall very disappointed. I had such high hopes for this to be the company I retired from. I worked for two other large Utilities and absolutely loved my job and would lay down my life for them. I saw so many good people move on to other companies which was a big loss for PPL. – less

Unlucky1 – April 27, 2013

I can related to this review 100%. I also worked for one of the largest Utilities and was laid off after 23 years. I was so happy to be awarded a job with PPL. I have a feeling I was in the exact same office as this poster. It was horrible. I worked until 1AM on Thanksgiving, never got paid for any overtime, comp time and was treated with disrespect. Deadlines were impossible. The Primavera system they were using was butchered by their own employees so badly it had many disconnects which prevented accurate estimates and billing. The other departments seemed defensive of their records, would not share important field notes or contacts. There was total disrespect for people brought in from different companies with fresh ideas, successful history only to be met by the "Good Ole Boys Club" attitude. I have never been so humiliated in my life. I watched in horror as people were plucked from their seats by the Security Gaurds and led out of the building like they did something wrong. Everyone watches them pack their belongings. There are allot of departments that can not function properly due to the constant switching of the bosses, who is getting thrown under the bus next and absolutely no cross training. I have seen so many talented people cut off at the ankles. As for the bonus it is true, unless you play golf with the boss in your department you will not get a bonus. It is given to the friends. You have to have a very strong constitution to work for this company, you need to bite the bullet daily and be prepared to work 60 plus hours a week with not even a thank you. This is a part of my life I would love to forget. My prior company I had nothing but positive reviews. My current employer I have gotten all excellent reviews and 3 raises in 1 year. If you accept a job with PPL, pray you get into one of the real departments. Do not take a job in Asset Management because you will be given a severance package and looking for a new job in 1 1/2 years on the mark. The sad part of all of this is that I was offered a job at the same time for National Grid and chose PPL because they were close to home. The parking at PPL is expensive, dangerous and you have to be walked out at night by a security gaurd. It is a very bad area to work. Many employee's have been mugged and robbed in the parking garage or vicinity of the building. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere unless it is a Union posistion.

JSFMSZM – May 22, 2013

Was very excited to land the job as a Sr Benefit's Administrator. My co-workers were rude, my boss was unsupportive. Work expectations changed on a daily basis, making my work extremely confusing...thus less and less support from my boss. It was like a horrible circle, which actually sent me into a nervous breakdown. I fought the company for severance and threatened to sue them for their treatment of me. In the end I took the severance and said good-bye forever. Now they are AGAIN hiring a new Benefit's Manager....Be careful. They will suck you in with great pay and benefits and your first day will be great. After that you will notice the lack of communication or help/training from other departments, the rude employees who fight for first place in the department behind that locked door. I did my honest best and am very good at what I do. It was never good enough for them. My former job gave me great reviews for the exact work. The difference? Management. Don't get sucked in. You will be without a job or looking within a year.

kiting the target every day in production
production (Former Employee), any were in uk or eropeMarch 27, 2013
Pros: dont mine any thing
Cons: like my job no mater how long is it
a tpical day is drive with out zero diffect
how solve problem in assembly
my co- workers are like my part of my body i will take care of them.
non plann work
well plan work
real-esate,investment
operation manager (Former Employee), bhubaneswarDecember 31, 2012
Pros: no
Cons: 8hours
i learned a lot..
1.How to handle a team
2.every thing of the company like profit loss etc

About PPL Corporation

PPL Corporation, with 2013 revenues of $12 billion, is one of the largest companies in the U.S. utility sector. The PPL family – Read more

PPL Corporation Photos