Prairie State College Employee Reviews

Worst experience in my life.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILOctober 6, 2017
Where shall I start! I have never worked at a place as awful, Management is the worst of the worst. The Union is a joke and sides with management. Look for another job. Not worth your time and aggravation.
Low pay
LIBRARY CIRCULATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILSeptember 15, 2017
Low pay. Little career advancement. Convenient location. Free parking. Bus route. Cafeteria closed. Fast food options. Food truck options. Vending machines.
Nice place
Co-President (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILAugust 11, 2017
This job does not pay really well, but the other benefits outweigh it. Your work week is manageable, your time off is decent.. No one calls you to come in to work on your day off. No weekends. Fridays off in the summer. Not sure why I left this place. Oh wait, the $$
Awesome atmosphere for learning
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 30, 2017
Ever since I attended Prairie State College, it has been an awesome journey for myself. Getting to learn so many new things has definitely been a privilege for me.
Fun Place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 30, 2017
This a very fun place to work however the hours are not very good. I worked around 9 hours a week, and was payed 8.50 an hour. Other than that, i loved what i did and enjoyed the job.
Pros
Fun Place to work
Cons
doesn't pay the bills
Productive and fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 19, 2017
Great place to learn and grow as a professional. Everyone in this community college is very supportive and understanding of their employees needs, and they do all they can make you feel welcomed. Love and miss this place dearly.
Prairie State is a great School and a good employer.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 31, 2017
A typical day day at work involves answering phones and completing projects. I've learned basic office funtions like how to use excel and and file things properly. The manager are fair and very kind. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people better themselves by furthering their education.
Very quite environment with many learning opportunities.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 14, 2017
A typical work day is slow but you never get bored. I learned many office skills at this job and the office was very flexible with my school schedule, considering my job was at my school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling.
Cons
Long days.
Great learning and working environment
Substitute Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, IL 60411November 14, 2016
PSC was a great place for me to grow and develop my teaching skills. I learned how to multitask in the classroom and help each child in my care to developing their own personal strengths.
Pros
Staff and work environment
Cons
Upper management
At work
Microcomputer Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2016
Old fashion way of doing things. Change with the times. People have to understand that technology makes job less stressful. Recommend a testing environment for IT.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Old fashion ways
Fun, great learning experience for budding teachers.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILOctober 4, 2016
There are a lot of things I like about being an adjunct instructor: calling the classroom your own, the communication with the students, and the freedom of learning about "being you" when it comes to public speaking.
I enjoy this profession very much and I hope to pursue full-time career with it.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Job security, low student enrollment.
the children
Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2016
It was excited to work with children on a daily bases. The staff was helpful, and encouraging.The hardest part of the job was getting the children to fall a sleep. the most enjoyable part of the job was maintaining the children safety.
Pros
smiling faces
Cons
sick children
good
Computer Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 9, 2016
Good school summer job. The staff was very nice and I learned a lot. It was very nice environment. I will treasure the time spent there.
I wore many hats a Prairie but there were no hours available
Instructional Design and Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILFebruary 12, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Prairie but I could only work a total of 18-20 hours a week. At the time that was sufficient because I was also going to school. However, it could not sustain the long term.
Fast paced, welcoming and friendly environmet
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJanuary 12, 2016
When I come into work the first thing i do is make sure that all of the labs are cleaned and that the labs for each class are prepared for the students. If the labs are not cleaned, the first thing that i will do is make sure that all the tables are cleared off and wiped down, chairs are pushed in and that all of the dirty materials are taken into the prep room, and replace them with the clean materials. It is also important that I make sure to keep track of what labs need to be set up for the week and that each professor has the materials that are needed for their lab.
Pros
Great hours, fit around class scheduled
Cons
Not being able to work overtime
Creative Thinking
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Great Place to learn Hardworking skills, the people are easy going people, great conversations about the world and what's going on in it, Entertainment was always the main topic we talked about.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
making sure people bought the papers
Summary
assisted the child development teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILAugust 13, 2015
Great Experience, I enjoyed working with children and adults , I've learned office management
assisted the office secretary
handled patients with signing them in and rescheduling appointments
filed patients folders
Not handicap accessible
Cashier in Bursar Office (Current Employee) –  202 S. Halsted, Chicago Heights, ILJuly 3, 2015
Handling customer/students accounts, accepting payment, calculate charges and credit.

Stepping up on the platform constantly to get receipts and reports printed out for customer/students.

I really enjoyed the job except for stepping up and down on the platform my prints and to go home.
Educational Instuitution
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 19, 2015
Prairie State College has granted me the opportunity to obtain employment experience while I worked towards earning my education here.
ok
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMay 11, 2015
Staff is very supportive of new colleagues. Nursing program is well established & the curriculum is more stable. Administration is friendly
Pros
ok
Cons
poor pay