Prairie State College Employee Reviews

Very quite environment with many learning opportunities.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 14, 2017
A typical work day is slow but you never get bored. I learned many office skills at this job and the office was very flexible with my school schedule, considering my job was at my school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling.
Cons
Long days.
Fun, great learning experience for budding teachers.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILOctober 4, 2016
There are a lot of things I like about being an adjunct instructor: calling the classroom your own, the communication with the students, and the freedom of learning about "being you" when it comes to public speaking.
I enjoy this profession very much and I hope to pursue full-time career with it.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Job security, low student enrollment.
Great learning and working environment
Substitute Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, IL 60411November 14, 2016
PSC was a great place for me to grow and develop my teaching skills. I learned how to multitask in the classroom and help each child in my care to developing their own personal strengths.
Pros
Staff and work environment
Cons
Upper management
At work
Microcomputer Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2016
Old fashion way of doing things. Change with the times. People have to understand that technology makes job less stressful. Recommend a testing environment for IT.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Old fashion ways
the children
Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2016
It was excited to work with children on a daily bases. The staff was helpful, and encouraging.The hardest part of the job was getting the children to fall a sleep. the most enjoyable part of the job was maintaining the children safety.
Pros
smiling faces
Cons
sick children
Fast paced, welcoming and friendly environmet
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJanuary 12, 2016
When I come into work the first thing i do is make sure that all of the labs are cleaned and that the labs for each class are prepared for the students. If the labs are not cleaned, the first thing that i will do is make sure that all the tables are cleared off and wiped down, chairs are pushed in and that all of the dirty materials are taken into the prep room, and replace them with the clean materials. It is also important that I make sure to keep track of what labs need to be set up for the week and that each professor has the materials that are needed for their lab.
Pros
Great hours, fit around class scheduled
Cons
Not being able to work overtime
I wore many hats a Prairie but there were no hours available
Instructional Design and Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILFebruary 12, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Prairie but I could only work a total of 18-20 hours a week. At the time that was sufficient because I was also going to school. However, it could not sustain the long term.
good
Computer Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 9, 2016
Good school summer job. The staff was very nice and I learned a lot. It was very nice environment. I will treasure the time spent there.
Not handicap accessible
Cashier in Bursar Office (Current Employee) –  202 S. Halsted, Chicago Heights, ILJuly 3, 2015
Handling customer/students accounts, accepting payment, calculate charges and credit.

Stepping up on the platform constantly to get receipts and reports printed out for customer/students.

I really enjoyed the job except for stepping up and down on the platform my prints and to go home.
Creative Thinking
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Great Place to learn Hardworking skills, the people are easy going people, great conversations about the world and what's going on in it, Entertainment was always the main topic we talked about.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
making sure people bought the papers
Seasonal
Truck Driver Instructor/Trainer - CDL (Current Employee) –  202 S. Halsted Street Chicago Heights, IL 60411February 22, 2015
Teaching is a profession that was introduced to me. I found that I am good at teaching and like it very much. I have trained and instructed students with the knowledge that they knew nothing about the subject. I encouraged them to learn and gave extra tips with in the guide lines of the program. However it is seasonal for the physical portion is outdoors for three weeks straight. The other instructors seem to follow their own method rather than the program guide lines.
Unfortunately the management selected knows little to nothing about the elements of the program and find it difficult to follow. So enforcing rules is a chore for them.
Pros
The program has proven to be excellent. We excel were others have failed.
Cons
Unfortunately, management selected for this program are lack of experience in this particular subject.
Not much advancement - but great staff
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILOctober 10, 2012
I worked for PSC for 5 years and really really loved my students and co-workers. I was adjunct, and was not really able to move up the ladder though. That was a sad part of the job - I would have stayed there longer had I even suspected that there might be a chance to move up. It just never came!!
Pros
staff and department chairs. also, fantastic students.
Cons
no room for promotion.
Corruption at it's best.
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago Hts, ILApril 24, 2014
I worked at Prairie State 2006-2013. Its was a great place to work until 2012 when the new so-call chief of Police took over everything went down hill from there. The President was put in place by her good friend Board president and HR Director had no back bone ...Run from this place if you can terrible place to work.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Too many to list.
Summary
assisted the child development teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILAugust 13, 2015
Great Experience, I enjoyed working with children and adults , I've learned office management
assisted the office secretary
handled patients with signing them in and rescheduling appointments
filed patients folders
Productive Workplace.
Instructional Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights ILJuly 15, 2012
Good, knowledgeable management. Always learning new things that were relevant to my job function. Also got the chance to help a lot of less tech savvy faculty/students that were in need of help so they could go forth with their education process.
I enjoy the job even know its seasonal
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMay 1, 2012
My boss is great and i like working with everyone in the department. I do a lot of weeding and planting, maintain the grounds so they look nice. I like being outside.
Pros
free lunches every so often
Cons
i would like to get on full time.
Large classrooms....very clean
Adjunct Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 27, 2012
This college is small, but not too small to get engaged with
the various activities offered to staff and students. Faculty and
staff are extremely friendly and accommodating.
Pros
very friendly staff
Cons
larger computer rooms
Great place to work! This was where I started to like education!
Student Trustee (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 20, 2013
I really liked this place! My position was simple as far as its responsibilities. I worked with congenial staff members. I would work there again if I could!
Pros
friendly staff members, educational
Cons
no cons
Educational Instuitution
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 19, 2015
Prairie State College has granted me the opportunity to obtain employment experience while I worked towards earning my education here.
Advocate for students that are low income and first generation.
Director, TRiO-Student Support Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 12, 2014
This role is crucial to those students that are from disadvantaged backgrounds
Pros
Able to support students
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prairie State College. Our community is ready to answer.

Prairie State College Reviews by Location