Prairie State College

Prairie State College Employee Reviews

ok
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILMay 11, 2015
Pros: ok
Cons: poor pay
Staff is very supportive of new colleagues. Nursing program is well established & the curriculum is more stable. Administration is friendly
Healthy and supportive work environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Chicago Heights, ILApril 11, 2015
Pros: Trainings and transparency
Cons: Student enrolllment is declining
Daily meditation and / or exercise prepare me with the emotional balance and objectivity necessary to assess, diagnose and develop effective treatment approaches to underserved populations, and later introduce and teach psychology to a richly diverse community.

The students and clients consistently remind me of the humility and self awareness necessary to develop effective strategies and curricula for growth and development.

I have many years of combined experience in teaching, management, program design, training, and clinical supervision. It’s fulfilling to incorporate my mental health experience with academic pedagogy, structuring classroom etiquette, exhibiting a genuine ethics of care and instilling a respect for justice.

I've had the privileged of being part of a multi-disciplinary Team that actually saved and / or improved the quality of life for many children. The major difficulty has and continue to be the reality that the probability of self actualization is not for all.

Finally, I perceive providing care to others as a career, a mission, a purpose, a labor of love. The benefits are mutual when help is provided.
Seasonal
Truck Driver Instructor/Trainer - CDL (Current Employee), 202 S. Halsted Street Chicago Heights, IL 60411February 22, 2015
Pros: the program has proven to be excellent. we excel were others have failed.
Cons: unfortunately, management selected for this program are lack of experience in this particular subject.
Teaching is a profession that was introduced to me. I found that I am good at teaching and like it very much. I have trained and instructed students with the knowledge that they knew nothing about the subject. I encouraged them to learn and gave extra tips with in the guide lines of the program. However it is seasonal for the physical portion is outdoors for three weeks straight. The other instructors seem to follow their own method rather than the program guide lines.
Unfortunately the management selected knows little to nothing about the elements of the program and find it difficult to follow. So enforcing rules is a chore for them.
good place to help others
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILJuly 6, 2014
- if you like to work with young people on their future, that´s the place to be
- stay optimistic around tough young lives
Corruption at it's best.
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee), Chicago Hts, ILApril 24, 2014
Cons: too many to list.
I worked at Prairie State 2006-2013. Its was a great place to work until 2012 when the new so-call chief of Police took over everything went down hill from there. The President was put in place by her good friend Board president and HR Director had no back bone ...Run from this place if you can terrible place to work.
Advocate for students that are low income and first generation.
Director, TRiO-Student Support Services (Current Employee), Chicago Heights, ILApril 12, 2014
Pros: able to support students
Cons: n/a
This role is crucial to those students that are from disadvantaged backgrounds
Productive place with great environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago Heights, ILJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: convenience
Cons: pay and no heatlh care
Relaxing work days and convenient work days. Management takes the time to work around your schedule.
Win or Loose
General Education Development - Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILNovember 30, 2013
This night life is very exciting, out of all the things that can happen when someone loose money there's always those winning moments.
Great place to work! This was where I started to like education!
Student Trustee (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILApril 20, 2013
Pros: friendly staff members, educational
Cons: no cons
I really liked this place! My position was simple as far as its responsibilities. I worked with congenial staff members. I would work there again if I could!
Not much advancement - but great staff
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILOctober 10, 2012
Pros: staff and department chairs. also, fantastic students.
Cons: no room for promotion.
I worked for PSC for 5 years and really really loved my students and co-workers. I was adjunct, and was not really able to move up the ladder though. That was a sad part of the job - I would have stayed there longer had I even suspected that there might be a chance to move up. It just never came!!
Nice place to work as well as learn
Adjunct Instructor - Information Technology (Current Employee), Chicago Heights, ILSeptember 6, 2012
I love working at PSC. It is a great place to work as well as enjoy a wonderful staff of fantastic people.
Large classrooms....very clean
Adjunct Professor of English (Former Employee), Chicago, IllinoisAugust 27, 2012
Pros: very friendly staff
Cons: larger computer rooms
This college is small, but not too small to get engaged with
the various activities offered to staff and students. Faculty and
staff are extremely friendly and accommodating.
Great educational Environment. decent Part-Time Work.
Studio Facilities Monitor (Current Employee), Chicago Heights, ILJuly 20, 2012
Pros: access to good recording equipment for practicing techniques.
Cons: lack of access to even better equipment, budget constraints particularly when they affected funding for the position.
Typical day included reorganizing the workspace from any previous users. Prepping for any scheduled classes or recording sessions. Updating the music library database that I was creating. representing the department to potential participants. Prepping equipment for offsite performances. Musical practice. Recording technique Practice. Tutoring of Students.

Here I learned to work with many different and diverse age groups and skill levels. The management was easy going but professional. The hardest part of the job was dealing with budget constraints that many times left us attempting to get things done "creatively" with the wrong or inadequate equipment, or unable to perform at all.

The most enjoyable part was the continuous interaction with creative people, and the trust that management had for all the employees.
Productive Workplace.
Instructional Technology Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago Heights ILJuly 15, 2012
Good, knowledgeable management. Always learning new things that were relevant to my job function. Also got the chance to help a lot of less tech savvy faculty/students that were in need of help so they could go forth with their education process.
I enjoy the job even know its seasonal
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Current Employee), Chicago Heights, ILMay 1, 2012
Pros: free lunches every so often
Cons: i would like to get on full time.
My boss is great and i like working with everyone in the department. I do a lot of weeding and planting, maintain the grounds so they look nice. I like being outside.