Pratt Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Teaching international students - positive experience
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Teaching international students - positive experience.
Lectures plus hands-on workshops.

Taught grad level students - technology for graphic design.

Management was very positive and empowering. Student feedback was very positive. They went on to great careers both in
the USA and many other countries; ie. Japan, Thailand, Israel, Brazil and Canada.
Pros
Help me stay on the leading edge of the field
Cons
Not enough teaching hours...Still maintained other job.
Productive and continuous work ambiance with flings of social fun
International Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2016
My work position at the Office of International Affairs has given me the opportunity to be more active and involved in the Pratt student community event organization. I've had the chance to expand my social, personal interests and ideas with the aim of promoting and setting up events for international and domestic students. I've also been able to cultivate other interests related to my main field of study such as illustration and graphic design. Overall, I would say that my experience at this office as an International Ambassador is very positive and self-growing and has allowed me to contribute to the Pratt community by means of these social events.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, schedule flexibility
Calm Place to Work
Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 29, 2016
I have enjoyed working at the computer labs because I do not get a chance to work with computers as much as I used to, being that our major gets more and more defined as we progress. Earlier in my time at Pratt, we took classes that were more broad when it comes to graphic design and editing with Adobe programs, but as I paint more, I would not get that in my class schedule. A typical day at work is not that stressful, primarily due to working later in the day it is not as busy like during times when students have a majority of their classes. My manager is very nice and communicative, he is always understanding and responsive. At this job I have learned to be a much more outgoing person and try to be eager to help others. It feels great to help a student complete a project that they have been working on by making sure the print comes out correctly and they are satisfied with it.
Pros
quiet, easy place to work on liberal arts homework
Cons
when there isn't anyone in the labs it does not seem that important to be present
On-Campus Work-Study Job
Foundation Wood Shop Technician (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 24, 2015
My boss, Mr. No, is very respected at my job. He works with his employers and is very fair in all of the decisions he makes.
I have learned how to help others in regards to power tools and heavy machinery in a safe manner and to communicate with facilities on shop needs.
All of my co-workers are very down-to-earth and friendly with each other.
The hardest part of the job is the pay- working with students and Mr. No is a breeze but raises were cut so working long hours and getting almost minimum wage is hard.
Working with Mr. No and my co-workers is probably the most enjoyable part of the job, you learn a lot from each other and it's useful for our majors.
Pros
Flexible work hours, designed to work within class schedules.
Cons
No raises
Solid
Phonathon Caller (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 25, 2016
Pratt has lots of opportunities for work in the beginnings of semesters but they go quick. The phonathan specifically is great because it really lets you pick your own schedule and work around classes or other jobs.I personally had two jobs besides the Phonathon, and nothing interferes with eachother
Great Place to work
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2016
Academic Computing Facilities is like one big happy family. All the new plotters and 3D printing is a great asset to Pratt's Output Center
Pros
New technology
Fun and laid back enivornment
Associate Director of Technology and Operations (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2015
When I first started at Pratt, I worked as a manager of our clerical staff, where I learned the basics of our data entry. I later moved up to an admissions counselor, where I took and active role in the recruitment of students. Meeting with them on campus, on the road, doing presentations and portfolio reviews. I later became the Associate Director of Technology and Operations and headed the paperless initiative and in the past two years made the system more effective.
Pros
Lots of time off, great boss, self driven
Cons
no room for advancement
Web Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 15, 2015
Nice people, clear responsibilities, you can speak your mind here, and the working time is kind flexible, after finish your job, you r free.
Productivity,Confidentiality, Customer Service absolutely exercised on a daily basis
Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkJune 12, 2015
I worked with the Human Resources department. We acted as a great family professional working team. We all were very knowledgeable in every area of the human resources department, so that if any of my co workers were out of the office we as a whole would be able to complete the information that was required of the human resources office. There were times when I would have to wait for approval perhaps from upper or other departments for the approval to go ahead and complete the task at hand. Overall this was a wonderful institute to be employed with. I really enjoyed working with department. It was a great opportunity.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
I was laid off. Due to department being down sized.
Steady job, decent management, low income
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 23, 2014
I have worked in the Department of Fine Arts at Pratt, as an instructor in contemporary criticism, art culture after graduation, and the preparation of the master's thesis (a requirement for graduate fine arts students). I find that the administration is accommodating, but there remains serious problems in pay. I write extensively about contemporary and Asian art, so I am happy to have this job. My co-workers are often gifted, articulate artists, so they are easy to work with. I find the interaction with art students to be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
congenial environment, steady part-time work
Cons
salaries are extremely low
Offers flexibility and insight into events
Industrial Design Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2013
A typical day consists of supporting the Assistant to the Chair of the department. Running errands, attending to inquiries of the students and faculty, event-organization, and other various clerical duties are done regularly.

Management is very flexible and insightful. I am grateful to be on a team of collaborative co-workers, especially when there are urgent needs to take care of.

The best part of the job is the satisfaction I get from helping everyone both inside the office and outside. I enjoy giving tours to our prospective students whenever the opportunity arises.
Pros
lunches during events, team-work, designing posters, inter-personal contacts
A highly academic and artistic environment with exceptional student artists
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2015
I typically taught 2-4 History classes per semester to a culturally diverse student population.
I learned to be very resourceful and creative teaching students with a strong artistic background. The Social Science department was very supportive and was always available to students and instructors. The hardest part of the job was to make history come alive, and interesting for students with creative backgrounds. I met this challenge by introducing visual elements such as powerpoint presentations and historical films. The research paper topics also touched on some aspect of visual arts as it related to one of the history themes of the class.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how students learned to enjoy history and increased their creativity or at least see it as an important subject to have a well rounded education as a visual artist.
Pros
excellent department and professors
Cons
no healthcare option for visiting instructors
Good
Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  new YorkJuly 20, 2015
Working with professionals and helping them to succeed is a satisfactory experience. The working environment is very nice.
Organized workspace and friendly co-workers
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2015
The responsibilities included communicating with students, parents, and other departments. There were many school events for various occasions, like orientations or student luncheons. I learned preventing stress and managing pressure from this job. The supervisor and co-workers had great patience that taught me all the knowledge I need to learn at this position. We still keep friendships outside of work.
Pros
free lunch and refreshment during school events, normal shifts
Cons
less challenging
Just a work study job.
Vice President, Pratt Jewelry Club (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2013
My bosses in the Fine Arts Wood Shop and the Jewelry Studio are both wonderful people. My supervisor for the Pratt Jewelry Club was also great. Those who work above them, though, have some work to do to make the management of departments at the school smoother. They should be working towards appealing to the students' needs, but don't always appear to be doing so.
Facilities Managment
support (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Employees are great management Not experienced you are working on egg shells. Management hold grudges against employees its always personal never business.
Decent job, slow days
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 3, 2015
Travel is part of position.
There is a lot of down time.
Lot's of personal interaction with perspective students.
Good group of co-workers.
Pratt photography department
Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 27, 2014
My typical day is helping students out with 9900 printer's in order to achieve museum quality inkjet prints. As well as assisting with flextight scanners, and making sure the lab runs smoothly.
Pros
good management
Absolutely Love Pratt; The University bureaucracy is another story
Special Events Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 31, 2014
I love the school, the campus and the students, so I do not want to defer people from working here.

It truly is a fantastic place to be for work every day; my experience was my own and I will leave it at that.
Pros
art campus, great students, creative atmosphere
Cons
university bureaucracy
fair
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2012
A typical day was 2-4 hours. I would have like to have work set out for me complete rather than have to ask continuously is there anything I can do. I felt as though I was a bother rather than a help. Supervisor was great, knowledgable, personable, organized, hardworking and patient. It was enjoyable because of the connivence of working between classes. I was grateful to be able to learn more about the department and give others help with information about the program.
Pros
convenient and helpful while in school

Pratt Institute Reviews by Location