Pratt Institute

Pratt Institute Employee Reviews

Fun and laid back enivornment
Associate Director of Technology and Operations (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of time off, great boss, self driven
Cons: no room for advancement
When I first started at Pratt, I worked as a manager of our clerical staff, where I learned the basics of our data entry. I later moved up to an admissions counselor, where I took and active role in the recruitment of students. Meeting with them on campus, on the road, doing presentations and portfolio reviews. I later became the Associate Director of Technology and Operations and headed the paperless initiative and in the past two years made the system more effective.
Productivity,Confidentiality, Customer Service absolutely exercised on a daily basis
Records Coordinator (Former Employee), Brooklyn, New YorkJune 12, 2015
Pros: Helping people
Cons: I was laid off. Due to department being down sized.
I worked with the Human Resources department. We acted as a great family professional working team. We all were very knowledgeable in every area of the human resources department, so that if any of my co workers were out of the office we as a whole would be able to complete the information that was required of the human resources office. There were times when I would have to wait for approval perhaps from upper or other departments for the approval to go ahead and complete the task at hand. Overall this was a wonderful institute to be employed with. I really enjoyed working with department. It was a great opportunity.
Decent job, slow days
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 3, 2015
Travel is part of position.
There is a lot of down time.
Lot's of personal interaction with perspective students.
Good group of co-workers.
On-Campus Work-Study Job
Foundation Wood Shop Technician (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours, designed to work within class schedules.
Cons: No raises
My boss, Mr. No, is very respected at my job. He works with his employers and is very fair in all of the decisions he makes.
I have learned how to help others in regards to power tools and heavy machinery in a safe manner and to communicate with facilities on shop needs.
All of my co-workers are very down-to-earth and friendly with each other.
The hardest part of the job is the pay- working with students and Mr. No is a breeze but raises were cut so working long hours and getting almost minimum wage is hard.
Working with Mr. No and my co-workers is probably the most enjoyable part of the job, you learn a lot from each other and it's useful for our majors.
A highly academic and artistic environment with exceptional student artists
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: excellent department and professors
Cons: no healthcare option for visiting instructors
I typically taught 2-4 History classes per semester to a culturally diverse student population.
I learned to be very resourceful and creative teaching students with a strong artistic background. The Social Science department was very supportive and was always available to students and instructors. The hardest part of the job was to make history come alive, and interesting for students with creative backgrounds. I met this challenge by introducing visual elements such as powerpoint presentations and historical films. The research paper topics also touched on some aspect of visual arts as it related to one of the history themes of the class.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how students learned to enjoy history and increased their creativity or at least see it as an important subject to have a well rounded education as a visual artist.
Organized workspace and friendly co-workers
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: free lunch and refreshment during school events, normal shifts
Cons: less challenging
The responsibilities included communicating with students, parents, and other departments. There were many school events for various occasions, like orientations or student luncheons. I learned preventing stress and managing pressure from this job. The supervisor and co-workers had great patience that taught me all the knowledge I need to learn at this position. We still keep friendships outside of work.
Facilities Managment
support (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Employees are great management Not experienced you are working on egg shells. Management hold grudges against employees its always personal never business.
Absolutely Love Pratt; The University bureaucracy is another story
Special Events Consultant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 31, 2014
Pros: art campus, great students, creative atmosphere
Cons: university bureaucracy
I love the school, the campus and the students, so I do not want to defer people from working here.

It truly is a fantastic place to be for work every day; my experience was my own and I will leave it at that.
Steady job, decent management, low income
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: congenial environment, steady part-time work
Cons: salaries are extremely low
I have worked in the Department of Fine Arts at Pratt, as an instructor in contemporary criticism, art culture after graduation, and the preparation of the master's thesis (a requirement for graduate fine arts students). I find that the administration is accommodating, but there remains serious problems in pay. I write extensively about contemporary and Asian art, so I am happy to have this job. My co-workers are often gifted, articulate artists, so they are easy to work with. I find the interaction with art students to be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great People
Film/Video Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 20, 2014
Pros: gym, campus, people, health insurance
Cons: low pay, slow to get things done
Lots of really nice people work at Pratt. The students are great and the campus is beautiful
It's a fast paced institution friendly people. Nice environment and i enjoyed working with the staff.
Clerk (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 11, 2014
Handled all correspondence and distribution as well. Scanned Transcripts and other document for applicants. Data entry using Docuware and Datatel. Filing and assisted counselors with special requests.
Pratt photography department
Lab Monitor (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: good management
My typical day is helping students out with 9900 printer's in order to achieve museum quality inkjet prints. As well as assisting with flextight scanners, and making sure the lab runs smoothly.
productive and balanced
Tutor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 5, 2013
I liked the fact that i had a chance to work with students and show them how to do the work given to them in their classes. the most enjoyable part is when they tell me that the way I explain things to them are easier than how their teachers explain them.
A great learning experience
Coordinator of Student Planning (Current Employee), NYAugust 29, 2013
Pros: being able to guide student(s) down the path to success.
Cons: sometimes you have to work during your lunch break (but it's worth it)
The experience has taught me how to build a well-built relationship with other departments, students, faculty and staff as an organization. Hard work pays off in the long run.
Creative and Collaborative College Years
Trinity Wall Street / Design Intern (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 23, 2013
Those that will be missed, made some key developments as a person, artist, and designer at this school
Great experience
TA for Chava Ben-Amos for Packaging Graphics (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2013
Pros: great learning experience, great mentor, exposed more to package design.
Cons: not enough hours.
I really liked being a TA for Chava Ben-Amos. She is a fantastic designer who really has a lot of knowledge of the packaging field. After taking her class I wanted to be able to work with her. While working with her I gained so much more confidence in my own work and after this I feel I can really take on a leading role in package design.
Just a work study job.
Vice President, Pratt Jewelry Club (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2013
My bosses in the Fine Arts Wood Shop and the Jewelry Studio are both wonderful people. My supervisor for the Pratt Jewelry Club was also great. Those who work above them, though, have some work to do to make the management of departments at the school smoother. They should be working towards appealing to the students' needs, but don't always appear to be doing so.
Offers flexibility and insight into events
Industrial Design Office Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2013
Pros: lunches during events, team-work, designing posters, inter-personal contacts
A typical day consists of supporting the Assistant to the Chair of the department. Running errands, attending to inquiries of the students and faculty, event-organization, and other various clerical duties are done regularly.

Management is very flexible and insightful. I am grateful to be on a team of collaborative co-workers, especially when there are urgent needs to take care of.

The best part of the job is the satisfaction I get from helping everyone both inside the office and outside. I enjoy giving tours to our prospective students whenever the opportunity arises.
Overall the position is great.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: good experience on resume
This position helps me to get experiences teaching students.
fair
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2012
Pros: convenient and helpful while in school
A typical day was 2-4 hours. I would have like to have work set out for me complete rather than have to ask continuously is there anything I can do. I felt as though I was a bother rather than a help. Supervisor was great, knowledgable, personable, organized, hardworking and patient. It was enjoyable because of the connivence of working between classes. I was grateful to be able to learn more about the department and give others help with information about the program.

Pratt Institute Salaries