The IT Quality Assurance (QA) Manager will provide expertise and leadership in quality assurance, quality management and software testing for the Premera IT organization through effective management of Associates, collaboration with IT and business partners, and guidance with quality tools and best practices. The QA Manager position is a key driver in proactively initiating and implementing quality measures within their team and across the IT organization.
1. Manages the overall work for technically complex areas of testing, including test automation, performance and load testing, SOA and web services testing.
2. Working closely with product management and IT teams to define sound test strategies, influence architecture, design deliverables and optimize capacity across the QA organization.
3. Managing and coaching QA Associates.
4. Efficiently driving product quality and promoting leading industry best practices meeting QA department goals and objectives.
5. Represents the QA organization through all phases of the SDLC and closely collaborates with other involved functional areas.
6. Implements ongoing quality improvement processes working with interdepartmental teams.
7. Develop and manage QA metrics for performance improvement of all teams.
8. Anticipates project and release problems and takes corrective action, escalating as needed, to achieve commitments.
9. Provides effective communication regarding issues, objectives and progress of initiatives and projects.
10. Works with project managers to develop project schedules and resource allocation models for QA related projects and other activities.
11. Manages the planning and execution of product testing efforts, including all associated resources to meet committed delivery dates.
12. Directly supervises QA Project Leads, Software Test Engineers and SDETs including the preparation and delivery of testing artifacts, i.e., Test Plans, Test Cases, schedules, reports and metrics.
13. Simultaneously manage multiple projects/efforts while maintaining high quality and delivering on schedule.
14. Develop technology strategies that align with the organizations vision, mission and objectives. Anticipate change and implement an operational plan that is flexible.
15. Ensure delivery of high quality service, consultation, and product to customers through understanding of business needs and through the development of seamless transition of work processes across departments in the IT division. Develop and manage relationships throughout the organization to reinforce a culture of service and collaboration.
16. Continually re-asses the status quo and consider alternative solutions. Keep abreast of best practices and apply as relevant to the organization. Lead change and adoption of new processes and technologies.
17. Lead a team to deliver on short and long-term goals of the department. Integrate organizations mission and philosophy to provide meaning in work. Responsible for the interpretation, communication, and understanding of department and company goals, mission and philosophy to team members. Provide consistent performance feedback to team members and opportunities for advancement.
18. Working with department leaders, assign and shift financial and human capital resources as necessary to maintain efficiency and operational excellence. Responsible for establishing and operating within department budget.
19. Manage multiple projects and partner with peers and senior management teams to shift priorities as needed. Identify risks to projects and deliverables across departments. Ensure resolution of issues within area of responsibility.
20. Generates product health checks and defect probability metrics based on data collection and analysis.
21. Leads IT continuous quality improvement efforts through data analysis of development and production QA results.
22. Through the analysis of data trends, initiates and drives quality management upstream within the SDLC, influencing change across IT.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
2. 7 years QA management or equivalent experience.
3. Advanced skills in defect probability to proactively identify where resources and effort should focus.
4. Leadership experience leading in IT Software Quality Assurance, Software Testing, Quality Control, or Quality Management.
5. Demonstrated skills in project management, resource allocation, problem-solving and decision-making, working with and managing highly technical staff.
6. Advanced skills in systems analysis and design, technical writing, understanding multiple databases, client-server, web, mainframe, middleware, and windows technologies using new and emerging technologies.
7. Strong understanding of different software development life cycles (waterfall, iterative, agile) and contemporary software quality assurance processes and automated tools.
8. Strong analytical skills and experience with implementation and administration of Quality Assurance metrics, such as defect profiles, test execution progress and results reports. Proven ability to drive quality improvement across the SDLC based on quality results.
9. Experience managing automated testing, performance, load and stress testing and other types of highly technical testing.
10. Ability to collaborate cross-functionally to understand shared goals and objectives. Ability to set short and long-term department goals that align with overall IT organizational direction.
11. Proven track record of delivering high quality products and services resulting in highly satisfied customers. Experience working with vendors to deliver on business needs.
12. Ability to effectively deal with rapid change in a positive manner and to lead staff through changing priorities.
13. Proven ability to build successful work teams and manage and retain high performing talent. Ability to mentor and foster a positive environment. Models leadership values.
14. Demonstrated ability to plan work for teams, manage workload balance and have proven track record of delivering results.
15. Proven ability to develop effective relationships and to work at all levels of the company including senior and executive management. Experience working effectively across divisional lines in a complex, multi-site organization.