Premera Blue Cross Employee Reviews

Stressful
NAO II Claims - Claims Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 11, 2017
I learned that when it came time for me to ask for help, I would either be told to look at the procedures or get conflicting information from my leads. The instructions were always changing, some made no sense at all.I was a telecommuter that felt very left out when I had to go into the office. You are not allowed to talk, there was attitudes that you could feel from the team leads, if they did not like you, you knew it.
Pros
Benefits fine
Cons
Did not feel welcome by my Team Lead - negative attitude
Stressful
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 6, 2017
I learned that when it came time for me to ask for help, I would either be told to look at the procedures or get conflicting information form my leads. The instructions were always changing, some made no sense at all. I was a telecommuter that felt very left out when I had to go into the office. You are not allowed to talk, there was attitudes that you could feel from the team leads, if they did not like you, you knew it. I was told to pull my big girl panties up.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
pay was not great and you do not feel welcome
Large, stable health insurer trying to keep up.
Senior Developer II (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WADecember 6, 2017
Premera is a leading health insurance company in the Northwest United States and is a classic corporate Windows/.NET/C# development environment.

Premera has a large and highly structured IT department of around 600+ employees and contractors. Structurally, Premera has numerous, separate IT departments to handle databases, security, infrastructure, project management, etc. and a ticketing system to request and receive work requests for managing work among these departments. This reduces the amount of control a development team has over a project and can make development frustrating at times. Similarly, HIPPA regulations make both development and production support, challenging, resulting in sometimes overwrought security controls and concerns. Subsequently, there is a lot of process around who can see and do things, making both development and production support more difficult.

In spite of this, Premera is making efforts to streamline its processes. It recently has begun an IT-wide adoption of Agile practices, the use of multi-discipline teams and is working to adapt its work intake process. While this is encouraging, many business units (IT customers) haven't fully bought into the new development processes. At the same time Premera has been adopting new development practice, it has also poured a great deal of money in to modernizing its infrastructure including updating or replacing many internal systems with more current technologies, thus increasing the opportunity to work on more modern projects. Premera has also adopted and implemented the open office concept
  more... with low walls, high visibility, collaboration areas, etc. In my experience this has been a net productivity killer.

For the developer, daily work typically encompasses requesting or providing information to numerous internal IT departments (read: email), analyzing impacts of proposed changes, sprint ceremonies, some development work, some production support work, coordination with QA (more email) and managing migrations to various development, testing, UAT, and production environments.

Ultimately there are many opportunities to have a direct, measurable impact on the company. After laboring through the process, deploying a much needed change or rolling out a new, better designed system seems to make it all worth it.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible work hours, telecommuting, on campus cafes.
Cons
Organizational silos, process heavy
A wonderful work environment that I would highly recommend to anyone
MEMBERSHIP & BILLING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 4, 2017
Premera offered a wonderful environment for employees. The office was an upbeat, pleasant place to work. Management always did a great job of listening to employees and correcting any issues that came up. Employees were encouraged to provide input about positives and negatives in performing duties. Also, continued training and cross-training were also available, as was plenty of opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, benefits for ride sharing, on-site cafeteria for staff
Fast Paced
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WADecember 4, 2017
You have the option to work anytime between 6am and 6pm, but must bid for your shift quarterly. Once you are hired, you have a scheduled training time of 8 weeks, it is very fast paced and quite extensive, but needed to complete the job, this training is also paid as well. It is a fun team oriented company with lots of ares to move within it company.
great place to work
Insurance Agent (under 65) (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLNovember 21, 2017
great place to work. very relaxed, very fun and easy going place to work. loved the job and sad that it ended and was only a seasonal position. would definitely love to work there next open enrollment.
Great place great People
APEX contractor (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 11, 2017
I was only their for a short term Key person contract but was an awesome experience. Great People great work experience. I would go back at the drop of a hat.
Pros
Great People and from what I heard great benefits.
Cons
Didn't get to stay.
Enrollment
Enrollment Analyst/ Group (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 4, 2017
Sometimes stressful, hard to advance, sometimes hard to communicate and be close to your boss. I work from home. Ive learned alot about insurance and healthcare culture.
Pros
Great benefits, Flexible schedule, Offers overtime
Cons
Sometimes repetitive gets boring
Decent commute and steady job
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WANovember 2, 2017
Premera is ideal for the person who enjoys a reasonable commute and has high tolerance for dysfunction and poor management. The employees who seem most content are those with low ambition and a willingness to stay in role indefinitely.
Pros
light commute, on-site cafeterias, free parking
Cons
Dysfunctional organization, punitive managers, low morale
Great work environment
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAOctober 28, 2017
It had a great work environment. There was a always team work within the department. You can always count on your team to help in any way they can when in need. There is always classes available when you need to advance your knowledge, specially when it will help with the job you are doing.
Pros
Good working environment, people
Cons
Sometimes there are not enough time in a day to complete tasks
Directors and Manager Leadership Good
Director (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAOctober 28, 2017
Long hours, good compensations, trying to change culture, improving focus on customer. Implemented new purpose, values and customer statement in 12/2015 and company trying to be a customer centric company and also focuses on LEAN.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Poor work/life balance
I enjoyed my career at Premera
IT Service Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 18, 2017
Company has high standards but those are required in the healthcare industry. Good people to work with. On the whole, a good place to work. A lot of growth and educational opportunities.
Pros
On site cafeteria, good pay and benefits
Cons
being in technology, it could be stressful at times
I Never Expected a Call Center Family
Data Analysis Specialist/CSR (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAOctober 15, 2017
Training here is extensive but needed and worth it. The learning is made fun, the programs and applications you use to do the job are complex but interesting, and the people you work alongside are incredible. If it wasn't for having to move to the East coast, I would have stayed here for years.
Pros
Cafeterias, Cafes, Easy Environment, Heathcare, Positive Attitude
competative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAOctober 3, 2017
An intense place to work. High call volumes and accuracy is the most important skill your evaluated on. I felt unable to provide the customer service I would expect from my health insurance provider.
Great culture family friendly
Senior Dev II (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WASeptember 26, 2017
Telecommuting and flexible hours in a not excessive stress environment. Good people to work with and for, though advancement can be a bit tough as the position you want has to be available to be promoted. Merit is not promotions do not happen, so you have to toot your own horn.
Pros
Many things, good company
Cons
promotions take a lot leg work beyond being and qualifying deserving.
Peers and Line managers are excellent
Senior Systems Administrator IV (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WASeptember 18, 2017
Your co-workers and direct managers in IT are excellent and make working a PBC manageable and hard to leave. The benefits and compensation were excellent.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
The stress applied to the people who do the work was/is unreal. Zero work life balance.
Stressful and quick turn around
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 6, 2017
The job I held was very stressful. The volume of phone calls was non stop from start to finish which would be fine however, there were times when the anger from customers calling would be too much to handle.
Supportive Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WASeptember 5, 2017
Premera has an amazing team with many supportive people around you. There is no pressure from your team, but complete empathy from everyone. Typical day is sitting on phones discussing insurance information with people.
Great work life balance but not clear direction from management
Senior Manager, Market Research (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAAugust 26, 2017
Decent place to work if you are not very ambitious. No clear direction from management. Great work life balance. Decent benefits. Lot os re-orgs and lay offs with no clear explanation
finance teams worked well together
Accountant 3 (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAAugust 10, 2017
My manager always rallied for her team. Sometimes the different departments didn't consult another department before implementing changed, even though the change would effect that department greatly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Premera Blue Cross. Our community is ready to answer.