Premera Blue Cross

Premera Blue Cross Employee Reviews

Not good! very poor management/ disjointed
ops (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 1, 2015
Pros: 401K, possible to have a work life balance
Cons: Salaries can be low - Management sings same song different verse year after year
This is a company driven by many new managers that have no knowledge how to lead others. Decisions to keep employees are based on who is on their good side, and if they are a yes person who will not ask questions. There are some very good managers, don't get me wrong, but there are enough of the inept ones to give the overall company a poor reputation.
Currently it appears they company is targeting older people for terminations.

Company could have potential, but it is not a company I would recommend as they do not care about the employee, just how much they can squeeze out of you. It is too bad as this used to be a very good company to work for.
Great company that cares about their employees
Associate Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Spokane, WAMarch 23, 2015
Call Center environment that handles all inbound calls related to personal and employee medical/dental/vision insurance coverage.
Outsourcing was inevitable...
Voice/Video Conference Team Lead (Former Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: Location
Cons: Management was indecisive
IT was eventually outsourced, including myself. Management could not make a decision to migrate from mainframe to server base services
No comment
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WAFebruary 9, 2015
It's a good company, but small and it's family owned. They provided me with a great opportunity to work for them. Other than this, I have no comment.
Fun enviornment
Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WaJanuary 20, 2015
Fast pace environment. Friendly co-workers and flex-work arrangements. Deadline driven company with lots of exciting projects.
High Paced Health Insurance Company
Membership Analyst (Current Employee), Spokane WaJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits medical, retirement & 401k paid holiday and vactions.
Cons: constant change
Open work environment fast paced, Constant change, They allow telecommuting, Mostly friendly staff.

Grading system for production and quality by managers and peers.

I learned more in-depth information how health insurance works. The healthcare regulations This was also the hardest part of the job. The constant procedure and policy changes.

I enjoyed working with most of my groups and finding out m0re about their companies.
Externiship
Externship completed (Former Employee), Spokane, WAJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: training is quality
Learned additional, in real-time applications, about how insurance offices accept, review, and implement subscriber information.
Great
Enrollment Analyst (Current Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WADecember 3, 2014
Great place to start your career! People are very nice and helpful. However, there is lack of support and salary is not that big. I love this job because YOU LEARN, A LOT! Go here if you are ready to learn.
Steer clear of this company
Software Architect (Former Employee), Mountlake TerraceNovember 18, 2014
Cons: too numerous to name
1. Employees are expected to work 60-70 hr weeks and often on weekends, yet are not paid OT under the pretext they are exempt. This is a thinly disguised way of getting one employee to shoulder a workload of 2 or more employees. A classic example of how this company indulges in burn and churn to squeeze the last dime out of everyone to maximize profits for the management.

2. Most of the people in management have are poorly educated or qualified for their position : A high school graduate was made a VP of technology though he had zero experience or understanding about technology.

3. Being ill qualified and/or educated, the management spend their time double/triple booking themselves in useless meetings, to give an appearence of being busy. They are never available for providing direction ( always in meetings ) and avoid taking any critical decisions ( CYA mode ).

4. Qualified and experienced people being more knowledgeable, are considered a threat by the management, and suppressed and frustrated until they leave.

5. Poor decision making causes massive losses which are covered up at the expense of employees ( there's no review and no bonus for those years ) yet the management still make their bonuses inspite of having taken these bad decisions themselves.

6. The company makes several billions a year in revenue but does not provide even paper glasses, let alone tea or coffee, under the pretext that it costs too much. Employees are expected to purchase everything from the cafe.

7. The PTO is a joke : You get 2 weeks a year with vacation time deducted when closed for holidays, – more... which effectively leaves just 1 week vacation per year. Anyone for healthy lifestyle and worklife balance ? You'd think a health insurance company would have health and well being of their employees' health uppermost.

8. Do not be misled by the glowing tributes and repetitive five star reviews placed on this forum. Research this company before taking any decision.

9. If by any chance you do get placed with this company, you are best off not treating it like a career but merely a stop gap arrangement, until you find a better posting. – less
Productive and independant work
Claims Associate III (Current Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WANovember 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks, tedious
I enjoy working here, its very relaxed, with the opportunity to work alone
Premera Blue-Cross
Software Development Engineer in Test (Former Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WANovember 14, 2014
Managers were available to help their directs get their jobs done.
Excellent Organization with Great Benefits
IT Project Manager (Former Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits, stable career.
Cons: somewhat rigid roles that may hinder personal growth, career advancement and organizational change.
Overall, Premera is pointed in the right direction. It offers great benefits and flexibility. It also embraces a culture of continuous improvement and, when I was there, it was trying to be a "Lean" organization. I left, largely because there seemed to be limited advancement opportunity. It felt like a government job in the sense that a large segment of the workforce seemed content to continue indefinitely in the same roles. I didn't see much encouragement to advance (except within a specific role, e.g. Project Manager I to Project Manager II) and I think that same mentality resulted in a resistance to change on many levels. Based upon my experience, I would recommend employment with Premera to anyone.
Good place to build a career
Consulting Underwriter (Current Employee), Mountlake TerraceOctober 16, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, telecommute, benefits
Cons: limited ability to promote to management
Throughout my 10 years at Premera, I have grown greatly personally and professionally. I have had the opportunity to be promoted upward on 3 separate occasions and have always been presented with new challenges at each position. The management team is easy to work with, they are good at teaching the requirements for the job that we are doing. My co-workers are very enjoyable and they are what helps to keep me sane during the busiest times of the year. The hardest part is keeping up with the January volume.
Operations: to many chiefs, not enough...
Sr. Workforce Analyst (Former Employee), Spokane, WAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: casual, jean day - everday
Cons: same as pro, not a sense of professionalism. lousy benefits. unable to make a move for 1 year.
Unorganized chaos! It seemed difficult for Leadership to committee to a path, agree on and establish perimeters that we could follow and then give us a chance to reach the goal before changing the course, again.

Very archaic software and tools for this particular job function. Inadequate training! Progression into new steps are extremely slow. In my case, I was not certain that I'd ever be doing the work I was actually hired to do.
Has the potential to be a great place to work
Service Desk Specialist III (Current Employee), Spokane, WASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: insurance, good pto
Cons: management confusion, east verse west attitude, little or no opportunities for people in spokane
Respond and assist to a team of 22 personnel. Handle everything from call ins to technical questions. Evaluate and update Knowledgebase for the team based on ticket reviews from support. This assists in generating a front thinking team and lessens the routing of tickets for items that support consider or are viewed as routine.
Imaged new computers, upgrade MS Office, handled support tickets
Client Technology Services Intern (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: lots of work to do
Cons: no free lunch
Typical day involved setting up time slots where I could go to a department and upgrade their MS Office 2003 to 2007 and train the end user on changes they will experience and see. If appointments did not work out I would often help image new desktops and laptops that end users were requesting through service tickets.

I was one of 4 interns at the time and we worked very well with each other, we had a great manager that helped us with any questions we had and gave us great feedback on how to improve.
No understanding of how to treat employees
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Montlake TerranceAugust 29, 2014
Pros: free parking - if you can find a place to park
Cons: health care preimums terrible for employees, management is all good old girls who are promoted to position based on social standing.
I was hired full time to work in IT. After 3 months found out that full time was actually Premera code for being treated as limited duration contractor working 60 hour weeks without overtime. Original manager that hired me and I wanted to work for, left company because his staff budgeted for only 12 months (unknown to him). He was surprised and told us (six employees hired at same time) to start looking for work outside of Premera because, in his words " their plan was to dump everyone". Transferred to new team where Manager said we had six months to find other teams to work for at Premera. Her background before Business Analyst team was mail operations and social programs such as food drives. We were told that we had to mandatorily participate in ice cream sales outside the main cafeteria for two hours a week raising money for her charity. Total waste of time and full of frustration. No integrity- terrible IT & Business culture. Stay away
Customer service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Spokane, WAAugust 20, 2014
My supervisor was wonderful.
My co-workers were helpful and a few are still friends.
Good environment
Customer Service (Current Employee), Mountlake Terrace, WAJuly 23, 2014
love my co workers and it is a fun environment to work.
you get to speak with so many diverse people
Nice culture but management structures need to be updated
Project Manager (Former Employee), Mountlake TerraceJuly 2, 2014
Slowly changing but outdated management structures have created pockets of instability that make work/life balance difficult and create large amounts of tension throughout workforce.

1 2 3 4

About Premera Blue Cross

It's no mistake that Premera sounds an awful lot like premier. Premera Blue Cross is a leading health care coverage provider to – Read more

Premera Blue Cross Salaries