Presbyterian Homes & Services Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  New Richmond, WIMay 25, 2017
I interned at Presbyterian Homes and it was a very rewarding experience. The people that I worked with were very knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming. I was treated as a member of the team and not as an outsider or 'newbie'.
Cna
CNA (Former Employee) –  North Oaks, MN 55127May 25, 2017
I would recommend this company for CNA's. The North Oaks facility has good management and staff is excellent. Facility has many different benefits for employees.
Quick paced work environment providing except therapy series to clients and patients.
PTA (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 24, 2017
Its a great place to work that's both challenging and interesting. They have a great therapy team consisting of PT's OT's and SLP's. The nursing staff are thoughtful and helpful.
Excellent organization to work for
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNApril 18, 2017
You have to be a certain kind of person to work for Pres Homes. They have excellent benefits and coworkers become like a second family. Working with the senior community is a fulfilling experience.
May 4, 2017

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review! I am so glad to see that your experience has been great! We love to hear from current employees, and I agree, my co-workers are like a second family to me too!

Great for new nurses
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  North Oaks, MNMarch 25, 2017
I loved getting to know the residents
Staff was very helpful and informational
Worked with catheters, IVs, J and G tubes
Administered medication and treatments
May 4, 2017

Hi, there! Thank you so much for leaving a review. We love to hire new nurses and help them get off to the right start in their career- it doesn't hurt that we benefit from the freshness and excitement that a new nurse brings to his or her job either :). I hope you continue to have a great experience with PHS- welcome to the family!!

not bad
Home health Aide (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMarch 14, 2017
Didnt spent much time here so much to write about. I dont have much to say about this place but maybe in the future if i have another opportunity.......
May 4, 2017

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a review... I hope your experience with us was good. Did you know that we love to promote from within, and you can transfer to other locations if your life changes and a different community fits better for you?

Require all employees to engage in prayer
Server (Former Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNFebruary 13, 2017
All employees must engage in a thing called, "Stand Up". It's a gathering of employees @ random times throughout a shift for daily inspiration ending in prayer. You cannot opt out.

Only one break in an 8 hr shift.

Best jobs are in the office where ladies mostly chat and can sit down whenever they like.

Like most other facilities, PHS makes profit and could pay higher wages.
Pros
Residents wonderful. Facility very nice.
Cons
Low wages. Only 1 break in 8 hr shift.
May 4, 2017

Hi, there. Thanks for taking time to leave a review. I wanted to clarify a few things that you mentioned so there is no confusion. PHS is a non-profit organization, so I'm not sure what you meant by "PHS makes a profit". Any money we make over the amount we need for our business is put back into the business. Did you know that we gave Nursing Assistants a 14.5% increase in January 2016?

StandUP is held once a shift in all of our communities, and it is an opportunity to get together and share news and information as well as build relationships with your coworkers. Yes we do ask for prayer requests and say a prayer to close the meeting, but we are a Faith Based organization afterall and many people find comfort in knowing that others care about them enough to pray for them. No one is ever forced to or required to pray.

Regarding your comments about breaks: during an 8 hour shift employees receive 3 breaks: 2-15 minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

Again, thanks for giving us an opportunity to read your comments and we wish you the best in your future career.

The best career decision I have ever made
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNFebruary 8, 2017
I have been at PHS since February 2010. I have been promoted twice, and have always been given wonderful opportunities to learn and grow throughout my 7 years here. In my various roles I have seen first hand that opportunity and advancement are open to every single person here if you want to work hard and have a real heart and passion for caring for others.

I also recognize that this is a tough time for hiring, especially caregivers and entry level employees. When people take the time to provide feedback and have open conversations, concerns always get addressed, and I truly believe that most of the managers here care deeply about their employees and the work they do. I have seen a few VERY negative reviews here on Indeed and I have to say- I'm not sure why those people have such terrible things to say and nothing good because I have NEVER experienced any of that in 7 years working at 3 different locations. I consider PHS my home away from home, and nearly every single person I work with says they feel the same, so beware of the super negative reviews knowing that is another side to all of that- I know- I have first hand experience.
Pros
Christian Ministry focus, unlimited advancement opportunities, great people
Cons
non-profit means that pay isn't always the best
May 4, 2017

"The best career decision I ever made" - Really!?! I feel the same way! Seriously, though, thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. So many times people leave reviews and feedback when they are unhappy- and while that is very valuable to us and we take all comments to heart, it is so wonderful to have an opportunity to hear the good stuff too! I wish you all the best in your career with PHS. :)

Staff are rude
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 27, 2017
Staff are not the easiest to work with. Judgemental and under qualified for their positions. CPR certifications are not required to work at this facility.
February 8, 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave a review on Indeed. If you have any specific examples or feedback you would like to share to help us improve I would love to hear from you. Additionally- I would like to understand your comment that CPR Certifications are not required as that is not an entirely accurate statement. Our nurses are required to be CPR certified and we offer on site classes to them to make sure that is the case. If you have specific examples that prove otherwise, please reach out to me. We want our current and former employees to be blessed by their experience here, and, when that doesn't happen, we truly do want to know about it. Denise: dsheets@preshomes.org

I worked in a good building. The people were friendly towards me. It all depwnds on the people you work with.
Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MNJanuary 4, 2017
The work is generally easy and it is fun to work with the residents. I wish I had more time to talk to then but I have always been a person to do my job and help people out if they need help. I hope that people looking for a job here gets to work with wonderful coworkers. That's where it really matters. A support system in the work place is always good.
May 4, 2017

I agree, a support system at work IS always good- thank you so much for taking time to leave your comments. All the best to you.

Management is horrible
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arden-hills-mnSeptember 25, 2016
Management is horrible. They do no care about anything. They are not the ones doing the work. We are always short staffed. Pto accumulation is ridiculous. Even the head man of the building is pointless. They offer Bonuses or referrals, but when it comes down to it they do not pay. Hr is even worse. They are to cliquie. They are so desperate for help that they will hire anyone. And they can mess up, threaten residents and walk off the job, but they let them come back. It's ridiculous. This is one company that's just in it for the money. They forgot their true meaning. They would rather throw food away then feed their employees.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Management, pto, favoritism, staffing
February 8, 2017

We understand that online job boards are a great way to leave reviews about companies and share your experience, and we really do appreciate it when current and former employees take the time to share this information. Your review is definitely one any employer or company would want to learn more about- and your experience certainly isn't what we had in mind when we created our employee promise stating that employees are the most important resource in our ministry. We have so many different ways for employees to provide feedback, I am truly sorry you felt the best way to provide it was here in Indeed instead of speaking directly with someone, either at the community level or at our home office. We truly wish you all the best for your future.

Not enough staff on any given day
Lead Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNMay 27, 2016
Fulfilled a critical role ensuring the execution of all aspects of care for residents of this nursing facility. Ensured the overall quality and cleanliness of patient rooms, engaging in the collection of laundry and changing of bed linens. The hardest part of the job was that we were short staffed most days, complex work schedule, and the benefits were not the best. We had to do the work of two people most days. The residents and the coworkers were why I went into work every day.
Pros
Work friends.
Cons
Short breaks, short staffed.
No good place at all
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMay 5, 2016
Worst places I work for ALL WAY SHORT, NO TEAM WORK, HEAD NURSE VERY RUDE DONT HELP CNA AT ALL. DONT FALLOW STATE RULES, hardly ever get breaks . PAY GOOD. Understaff all time. Also take for ever get job took me 2 months go though everthing
May 4, 2017

It sounds like you didn't have the best experience at PHS. I am so sorry. We truly want to be a great place to work, and many of our employees refer to us as their second home. If someone is unhappy we have many options for you to bring that information to people who can make changes and improvements, did you ever have an opportunity to talk with someone about this while you were here? I will make sure to bring this to the attention of management at that location, and truly wish you all the best in your future career.

Rewarding job!
Housekeeping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNMarch 4, 2016
Presbyterian Homes & Services is by far the most rewarding job I have ever had. It may not be able to compare to other employers in regards to salary because of the fact, it is a non-profit organization but it definitely tips the scale when it comes to personal rewards on a daily basis. The residents are a true blessing to all of us, each one, so very special. In my dept, I have a great boss and a great team of co-workers that are willing to pitch in without being asked. We all know the meaning of team work. Laughter & fun is also encouraged in our dept, which has to be a part of anyone's day to make your day enjoyable. The hardest part of this job is loosing a resident, after they have had such an impact on your daily life.
Pros
Residents, residents & residents! Great co-workers & christian values!
Cons
Being non-profit can be a bit of a con, health & dental plans are okay, could be better.
February 6, 2017

Love this review- thank you so much for taking time to leave it! I am a 7 year employee of Presbyterian Homes & Services and could not agree more. Thanks so much for being a part of the ministry here!

"Not a good place to work"
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNFebruary 12, 2016
The Management is very unprofessional and don't care anything about their employees. Communication was horrible. A typical day at work was watching my back afraid of getting written up for the lease little thing you do! Never any praise for your extra efforts. Not faith based at all like advertised. Co-workers were fine, but should learn to think outside of the box sometimes. The only enjoyable part of the job was the residents and helping their family members.
Pros
Good Food
Awful company to work for
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spring Park, MNJanuary 10, 2016
The atmosphere is overwhelming, nobody helps you with cares with residents, management doesn't care, our D.O.N was awful. There is no room for advancement, pay raises are awful, and the compensation isn't worth constantly working short.
May 4, 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave this review. Even though we would love for all reviews to be glowing, we know that isn't possibly and look for every opportunity we can to improve. I will make sure management at Spring Park is aware of this feedback.

As for wages, did you know that we gave all Nursing Assistants a 14.5% increase in January of 2016? That resulted in almost $2.00 more an hour for some people, depending on where they were o our wage scale.

Amazing Residents and Staff
Server, Hostess, Preparation employee (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNNovember 19, 2015
It's a fast paced environment once the shift starts and slows down at the end to a more relaxing pace where you can talk to the residents and staff more. Staff are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Free breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on what shift you work
Cons
Almost always short staffed
Woodbury Location
server (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNNovember 16, 2015
Working short is defined as...serving 50+ seniors with only 2 servers instead of 4..meanwhile you will be bussing the tables ..doing all the dishes including all the cooks pots, pans, knifes, cutting boards , all the dishes from the 18+ residents in the memoryloss dept. vaccuming dining room, sweeping and mopping kitchen, folding napkins for the tables , resetting the tables all between the hours of 430-7
Pros
Free meals
Cons
upset, irritable seniors
May 4, 2017

Thank you so much for leaving a review. After learning about the hiring difficulties at some of our locations, we worked on a process to centralize recruiting and take some of the burden off sites, resulting in being able to hire more candidates than before. That is just one example of how we have taken feedback from employees and made changes for the better. We wish you all the best in your future career.

Look elsewhere, you will find a better place. I promise.
server (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNNovember 9, 2015
This specific location is a joke. The company needs improvement. Trust no one, especially upper management. We were always short. The place talks a lot about "budget" but spends $$ on the craziest things. Look elsewhere! I promise you, you will find a more decent job. If you aren't someone's favorite here then good luck!
Pros
Free food. Residents. Some awesome co workers who actually got your back.
Cons
Low pay. Always short staffed. Upper management not involved but talks mad trash.
The management is a joke
server (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNOctober 26, 2015
I feel like I have been here forever and yet I am never rewarded for of my efforts in any kind of way. All of the upper management are fake and hardly try to improve the lives of the workers since they are only concerned with themselves. Many promises are made, but are never fulfilled. They don't even think our job is hard, but they're not the ones staying 1 or 2 hours after their shift was supposed to end. I have had to leave at almost 9pm and all the work was still not complet, yet were usually expected to be perfect. There is never any communication with the managers. They will say one thing you agree with, then once your back is turned they will do the complete opposite. Even the residents tell us many times how this place is a joke. I try to make it better for them, but I know it is never enough. We are short almost always. The scheduling is never consistent and normally a new one doesn't come out until a few days before the old one ends. There are usually only 2-4 days during a 2 week period where we are fully staffed. The work here is very demanding and tiring, but is even more so when there is only two of you working for a dining room full of hungry people. It makes it harder to get motivated to do the job well because you just want to get it done so you can end the day with some dignity left. Everyone is leaving because they know there is never any progression at this site, especially for its servers.
This isn't even the end of all the awful stuff that goes on here, I'd tell you to see for yourself, but I'd rather advise you and say to just ignore this job because
  more... there are way better options out there than this worthless place.  less
Pros
Free food, residents, weekends are free of upper management, coworkers
Cons
no compensation for hard work, bad management, always short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Presbyterian Homes & Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9