Presbyterian Medical Services Employee Reviews

good place to get experience..not the greatest for long term
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 19, 2015
Working in the Pharmacy was a really good stepping stone for me into the nursing field and an eye opener on how the hospital really values the people who work there. Although we all work to serve patients I felt that the pharmacy was always the least respected group there. I can honestly say I feel that the communication between different departments should be better than what it is.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
schedule
very productive and busy clinic providing good care
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMDecember 2, 2016
I enjoyedcmy co workers and providers. we are all a team and always do our best to provide good care. we meet quality goals with good leadership. we are always busy
good
ar specialist (Current Employee) –  albuquerque nmJune 24, 2015
good work hours and benefits enjoy working with the patients and insurance companies do have some good people to work with throughout the company.
Good mission, poor management
program manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJanuary 17, 2013
I worked for PMS nearly 2 yrs. I became disenchanted after 6 months and started looking for a new job after 1 yr.

This company has outgrown it original small company status and is now a larger player, yet it still thinks like it is small. They say the want new ideas and are open to continuos improvement, but they are stuck in the old ways and resist change. There is a bubble around management and they only see what they want to see and only hear what they want to hear. They do not listen to the professonal experts they hire to give them guidence. They try to do leadership and team building training, but there's nothing of substance behind what they say.

Professonals are hired to take charge of programs, but when they try to take charge and change the way things are done, the company silences them and takes away their authority leaving them set up for failure. Managers and supervisors are not held accountable for not following standard procedures.

Turnover is high, moral is low. PTO package and benifits are good, but employees complain about base pay.

They have relocated portions of thier HQ to another city and when they did employees had to reapply for their jobs and had to accept less pay to stay with the company. This may happen again soon.
Pros
paid time off, benifit package
Cons
low pay, stiffling management, micro management.
Customer Access Rep
Customer Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMNovember 16, 2015
Busy all day long which is great.
I thought working here would be a great start to working in medical care facility but there is just way too much drama and too many people getting away with it all. It starts from the main bosses to supervisors.
Makes it a very stressful and hostile work environment.
Too much gossip and finger pointing for my taste.
Not much support from one another.
And too many employees not on the same page, which is to help the patients with their health care needs but instead they are too worried about themselves.
Not much teamwork.
They cry about every ounce of overtime which they eventually take away from you.
I feel bad for the people that'll eventually work there and get caught in the midst of it all.
Pros
Hour lunches, good to help people
Cons
Too busy to take breaks, too much drama, seeing sum great coworkers get the bad end of a supervisor's /boss' favoritism of another, too much gossiping amongst employees that brings allot of stress to others
Interesting place to work with diversity of cultures among staff
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMSeptember 19, 2012
Reconciled patient accounts, correct and resubmit bills for payment to insurance. Turn over rate for employees is high. Poor guidance from administration but the ability to help patients with problems made the job worthwhile.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor administration
good place
Patient Care Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 12, 2013
we are upgrading to NextGen 8.1 so there is a lot to do.

lots of different duties

food people to work with
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low salary
Appointment Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 27, 2014
Good benefits, great employees, patient care atmosphere is good,
Review of Presbyterian Medical Services
Accounts Receivable Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 30, 2014
Presbyterian Medical Services has given me many opportunities. Working with the company has helped me gain knowledge in many areas of the company. Not only has it taught me a different culture it has helped me live up to that culture.

As a non profit company PMS has taken on many challenges in the past few years and with that I have gained more knowledge than I thought possible.

On a typical day I manage 3 supervising positions and 13 exempt positions. Maintaining the training and making sure changes are given to them on a daily basis. At this time I am managing a 6 million dollar aging. Collections at this time are at an all time high even with all the changes in the Medicaid system.
Pros
Working with PMS has given me opportunity and knowledge about FQHC payers among others.
Cons
Non profit company and I am now stuck in an area that there is not much room for promotion.
Great mission, horrible environment
medical provider (Former Employee) –  New MexicoNovember 7, 2015
I came to the company five years ago with high aspirations and close alignment with the company's mission and vision. Sadly, what I saw in the field might have been on the other side of the planet from corporate headquarters. Medical providers come to this company with high aspirations of making a difference in the rural and under-served areas of New Mexico. As a provider, you will be expected to be highly productive (22-25 patients per day). Even after doing so, you will not be rewarded or provided with adequate support staff.
Sadly, many providers leave after one year because they find that the mission just doesn't match what is happening in the field. The company has a strange system of hiring managers to over see the providers and clinics who have little or no experience in a leadership role ( and many don't even have a college degree). Cost containment? These managers then have complete and absolute control over what happens in the clinic including whether or not a provider has support staff. Sadly, this system allows for discrimination, fraudulent activities, lack of essential resources, and corruption. Hence, good medical providers leave. Interestingly enough, the company rarely asks medical providers to complete exit interviews. I guess the revolving door is the standard for PMS and the corporate level has no desire for change.
Pros
possibility for loan repayment if you already qualify
Cons
long hours, questionable activity by managers, lack of support, lack of essential medical proventions
Had a great work experience
Fiscal Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 4, 2015
Staff and management was very friendly. Management was easily accesible. Financial pay was the not the highest in the industry, however it is a great opportunity to learn and grow professionally.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
None Right Now
Excellent company to work for with great advancements.
Patient Care Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 23, 2012
I originally started working at the front desk of a billing office and have been promoted to a trainer position. This company recognizes hard work and promotes within. I have learned how the medical world functions and a lot of the terminology. Management is very helpful and understanding. You work with great support all around you within your co-workers. Every day brings new challenges on how to figure out a work flow or combining a schedule to ensure task are done in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part is that there is a new challenge every day. Not a boring job by any means.
Pros
pay for travel and food.
Cons
wish that there was more given back to the employees.
A great place to work with children at different levels of learning
Teacher I (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMSeptember 7, 2015
Worked with children and families from different levels of learning. Updated the parents of the children in our care of how the child did in school on a daily basis.
Pros
Free lunches with children.
Cons
Seeing children progress on a daily basis and doing observations of the children in my care, making portfolios of the children in my care on a daily basis.
Builded a Healthier State and Community
Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Questa, New MexicoApril 9, 2012
Provided integrated healthcare (Dental, Medical, & Behavioral Health)to the people of Northern New Mexico regardless of their ability to pay with the support of grants and Federally Qualified Funding. Provided free Breast and Cervical Cancer screenings and participated in the Title X program.

Staff had an excess of a combined 100 years of service to PMS and their community.

The hardest part of my job was saying goodbye.

The most enjoyable part of my job was providing healthcare to people who needed it by operating within the funding parameters.
Pros
excellent leadership from executive committe, support from regional director, and having a proactive, dedicated staff
Fun place to work with the nicest boss in the world.
OUTREACH SPECIALIST PRESBYTERIAN MEDICAL SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMAugust 21, 2015
Everyone needs to be on the same page at PMS. The medical providers always change their mind on what they want. This can be super hard if your working for the provider and trying to get their schedule all figured out.
Moderate
CLINICAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMOctober 20, 2013
PMS upper management is not well organized, a lack of written policies and procedures. Middle Management does not consider harm to clients by pulling staff suddenly (from one day to the next) of their cases and reassigning somewhere else without appropriate termination for clients.
behavioral Health Specialists are not being consulted by Administrators in Farmington.
Pros
Staff is very knowlegable and caring
Cons
Administrator in Farmington is a very emotional leader
In home family therapy
Case management (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMNovember 12, 2013
I start my day around 11 am. We have between two and three families to see each day. We spend two hours each session two times a week.
I have learned so much from this job, i did not think that i could work with families, my passion has always been teenagers, i have learned to get families the services that they need. I enjoy my job.
My direct supervisor is amazing he is always their to answer questions we have or give us another idea to help the family. The management is about numbers and productivity. When our clients were doing good then our numbers would drop and we would get in trouble.
My co-workers and i rarely see each other. We see one another one day a week when we have group supervision. Other than that we never see each other or talk with each other.
The hardest part of the job is being on call 24/7 even if we are on leave we still have to answer our phones. I have had calls in the middle of the night and on the weekends, i have had to leave my home on the weekends to deal with crisis's.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the families they are all different and its enjoyable getting to know them and watching them turn their lives around.
Pros
Changing families every six months, open scheduling
Cons
On call 24-7, no time off
Great Medical Director, good working environment
Registered Medical Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMAugust 16, 2014
Daily work environment included bringing patients back and obtaining basic vitals. I did whatever the Dr. ordered ie: Phlebotomy, EKG's, strep tests, urine, immunizations, allergy shots. Kept up with daily phone calls from patients and scanning incoming test results and sending to Dr. Referrals and Prior authorizations for medications and tests.
There were a few co-workers but worked mostly with Medical Director alone, I was her nurse. We worked well together.
I enjoyed this job and would have stayed but my husband obtained a new job in AZ.
Dental Aide (Former Employee) –  Cuba, NMFebruary 23, 2015
I enjoyed this job. I had worked in healthcare for over 7 years before this job, and it was kind of strange to get accustomed to having a full hour for lunch, a regular 8-5 job, NO weekend work, no required OT, and holidays off! LoL Great boss & coworkers, great atmosphere. In the end, dental just wasn't my calling, I prefer medical over dental, but it was a very good job and very good place to work.
Pros
1 hour long lunch, no weekend work, holidays off, no required OT
Cons
Oral care... need I say more?
Best JOB
Medical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJuly 21, 2015
I left there because I wanted to try something out side of family practice. I really enjoyed working with the people at PMS. I learned a lot. I got to open three clinic while I worked there. Two student base health clinic and one Family practice clinic. I took pride in those.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Presbyterian Medical Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Presbyterian Medical Services Reviews by Location