Pressley Ridge Employee Reviews

Pressley Ridge Review
Family Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45237June 13, 2017
Pressley was a great and supportive network of individuals that became almost like family. Pressley Ridge took the time to help build skills. Pressley management understood the needs and work styles of individuals and helped people adapt the difficult environment of working in mental health.
Pressley Ridge
YFS, Foster Care Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJune 5, 2017
I love Pressley Ridge, It has been a great home to me for years. I've learned so much from this company about foster care, counseling, addiction recovery, and in-home family services ( Family Preservation, and Family-Based Services). It is a family-friendly, fun, and professional atmosphere with helpful management willing to help you through tough situations and other confusing factors within the position. The hardest part of the job, is seeing the situations and other troubles that our children/families go through. As workers we try to help our families through the tough times and adversity, and most importantly our children.
Pros
Helping Children and Families in need of help.
Cons
Not being able to help with all situations with your families, due to severity of the situation and legal issues.
Management changes would make Pressley Ridge a great place to work!
Day School Pittsburgh (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2017
The most difficult part of my job was pleasing the management. They were very critical, often times cruel, accusatory and almost impossible to read! Micromanagement was also a huge problem. Regularly short staffed, due to the high turnover rate, requires workers to be pulled from one job to cover others on a daily basis. All of these things and more created an extremely stressful /negative work environment. On a positive note the front line/support staff were dedicated, hardworking individuals who loved the children, but it was apparent many did not love the job as morale was low throughout the organization.
Pros
Amazing Caring Coworkers, Rewarding Work Helping Students Succeed, Free Lunch, Free Parking
Cons
Management, Unethical & Impersonal, Employees are Expendable
Honestly just a poor company to work for.
FBT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 9, 2017
Pressley Ridge has a ton of turn over, and this leads to poor outcomes for kids and families. Yes, I have been asked to falsify reports. Yes I have been asked to hide files from inspection. Yes I have seen staff just not work but bill for work. I was shocked at what I saw there. Worst of all it bad for your career! It is not a stepping stone. Employers know their quality of staff. Those who stay at Pressley Ridge become angry, and they barely do their job and treat their coworkers badly. The horizontal violence at this place is unreal. There treatment site uses unqualified folks and they are very, extremely hard on the kids. If you work at Pressley Ridge you will suffer if you care about your profession, your clients, and yourself. You will get depressed, overweight, or take your pick. There is horrible supervision, and since all that matters is billable time, forget about wanting to be a better therapist. As a worker, salary is low for a masters in social work, benefits really do not help much, you lose vacation or are forced to take it, cannot cash it in, and the dental and eye just does not help. There is no respect even from case managers at other agencies because of the Pressley Ridge reputation. Anyone who gets a job at Pressley Ridge is just waiting for a sad awakening. Truly. You will throw away years of your life just to try to do what you thought you would be doing.
Pros
A job out of school.
Cons
Read my review. The place is a sick sink hole for down and out therapists.
Great Place, Wonderful People
Electronic Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2017
A great place to work for people looking for a job with purpose. The staff are down-to-earth, hard-working people who create a fun & relaxed work environment. Management is respectful and fair. At times, the work can be overwhelming, but not without support and good resources. Great work for someone always looking for a never-boring challenge. Be open to learning something new everyday.
Pros
Good benefits, free parking, challenging work, wonderful people, free lunches, has offices not cubicals
Bad Company
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaMarch 21, 2017
Bad company to work for: no over time pay, must work on call with no extra pay, do not get mileage for miles drove, bad supervisors, kids are placed in bad homes with to many kids. Overworked staff and poor work conditions. If workers become sick and can not work for a while they get ride of them.
Pros
nothing
Cons
poor work confitions
Valuable Resources
Teacher/Counselor (Current Employee) –  White Oak Springs, WVFebruary 2, 2017
The agency has many valuable resources to assist troubled youth to become productive, independent members of society. Allowing youth to gain confidence, trust and build healthy relationships with their families, peers, community etc.
Pros
Team work
Cons
pay could be higher for the amount of stress that employees have to go through on a daily basis.
No Help
Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVJanuary 26, 2017
PR is a great place to work when you have the backing of your supervisors, if not, you're screwed. The upper staff is very undermining and would rather take a smoke break than help with a problem. The upper staff or the ones who have been there the longest suggest that you act indifferent and cold to the kids in order to protect yourself from "compassion fatigue" all while trying to build relationships with troubled teens.

The kids were great to work with and I miss them dearly, but there was no communication or support from the staff that actually "mattered". If you have any underlying health matters - physical, mental, or emotional do not apply for this job because they will use it against you. They also don't take in to consideration that you have a life outside of PR and will hound you to come in because someone is always calling off.
Pros
Helping kids, free food, benefits, unlimited overtime
Cons
No breaks, drive everywhere, belittling from kids and staff, no support, can be career damaging
It was a very successful agency within the Foster Care Community. And we worked well together, there was always team work.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 15, 2016
I was very appreciative and happy about my job and knowledge of the Foster Care Programs. I really wish that the program had not ended my position, we were all very close. I actually still stay in touch with a lot of the workers and office staff.
Pros
Anytime lunch break, significant bonuses, awsome
Cons
My position was unfortunately terminated because the agency downsized.
Teacher Counselor a Trap
Teacher/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ona, WVOctober 25, 2016
Honestly I am wondering after seeing at least a dozen people leave this Job in my short tenure is there not more warning reviews?
Do not get sucked into this Job because of the pay! This is by far the worse place that I have ever worked and the most illogical in it's approach.
PR in Ona is ran by 2 burned out Fascist females who do not care about employees whatsoever. I was a so called Teacher Counselor and let me tell you that there's no Teaching or Counseling as it's totally a Direct care position with troubled sometimes violent Juvenile boys and girls. At PR to you are made to follow a daily schedule to the letter. There is no employee support the longest coworker that I had in the T/C position was a mere 9 months because of huge turnover. Most of the supervisors are drug users- You have to work 16 hour shifts with no-breaks or lunches under total observation by cameras and other staff- You have to ask permission to use the bathroom-You have to eat the terrible food they give to the kids with the kids or starve- You are subject to constant scrutiny and abuse by the supervisors. You have no support- You are subject to DHHR investigation when a kid makes a false claim about you and believe me they will because it's the only way they can retaliate against you. You never know what the expectations are. I could go on and on. They have two units Level 2 and level 3- They have 2 houses with the boys in one and the girls in the other and pray you do not get put with the girls because you will be in the unemployment line within a week. The wage is 12 and they take 2 of it for
  more... insurance-Even if you have a Dr. excuse when you miss it's an occurrence and will be held against you.-I have brainstormed and tried to think of anything good about this place and I can't because it surely was the worst place I have ever worked. I was lied to and manipulated by their HR staff into taking this position working with boys because I have a decade of experience and Graduate level college credentials. Afterwards I was made to work in the girls units because the turnover rate there is 100% after working over there twice I resigned because there is no support and your own freedom is at stake because any story is believed and there was no way I was going to allow it to make it to that level after seeing so many good people fired for nothing. Run from this place "RUN"---  less
Cons
Good place to gain experience in the field
Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 13, 2016
This was a great place to gain experience in the mental health/counseling field. I enjoyed working on a team and being able to share ideas and handle crisis situations with a partner.
Top heavy, treatment low
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2016
Ridged and disinterested in innovation. Employees are expendable. Impersonal.

Long term employment - bring in money. Tell management what they want to hear. Quality is financial.

Better management with long term staff.

Staff accomplishments mediocre.

Can do better.
Pros
New skills
Cons
No advancement
N/a
Teacher counselor (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVAugust 17, 2016
This is a stressful and time consuming job. Must be able to handle stressful situations well and handle your frustration appropriately.
Unorganized workplace
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2016
The company was unorganized at the DC office. Management team were unable to develop rapport with contractual company to allow for productive work atmosphere.
fun workplace
Counselor (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJuly 27, 2016
if you love kids and making a difference apply. You have a small caseload about 3-4 kids per week. It's a fun working environment with many benefits.
Pros
free lunch and nice lunchroom
Cons
traveling
flexible schedule
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2016
flexible hours, very tough clients, very good co-workers, good environment, long days at times, ability to work in the field
With new leadership, it could be a great place to work.
Mid-Level Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Central Pennsylvania Region (CPA)April 5, 2016
As with all work in this field, it's hard and requires that you get job satisfaction from something other than your compensation package. So, don't expect to prop up your feet and collect a six-figure income.

There's nothing really different or special about how Pressley Ridge delivers services. But, the larger organizational leadership philosophy is spot on, emphasizing the "servant leader" model. However, the Central PA (particularly the York location) doesn't buy into or practice it. York leadership emphasizes rigid structure, authoritarianism, and control. Mid-level leaders are crushed by micromanagement. They are sometimes manipulated like pawns and thrown under the bus when the boss messes up. New ideas and independent thinking are discouraged. There's a general distrust of employees and they are not treated as responsible professionals. Morale is low with a lot of lip service paid to "improving the culture". They ask for feedback about what needs to change but leadership tends to minimize and discount it as something they are not responsible for.

This is a great place for early career level professionals to get tons of diverse experiences, free supervision for licensure, and free CEUs. After a couple of years, move up in the organization to another region or on to another organization with better working conditions.
Pros
Diversity of Experiences, Free Supervision, Free CEUs, Large Organization with Opportunities for Advancement
Cons
Rigid Leadership, Micromanagement, Distrust of Employees, Dilapidated/Poorly-Maintained Building
Unethical
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2016
Hired and laid off in less than two weeks do to state budget not passing. Was not even given a week to file for unemployment.
Master Teacher Counselor Aide (Current Employee) –  Walker, WVJanuary 15, 2016
Educating troubled youth who have made bad decisions in society. Supervise employees and making sure safety and supervision of youth was maintained. Fun place to work, co-workers very respectful. Leadership lacked the ability to stand up for employees and to make the best decisions for out program. It was very fun working with kids and helping them make better life choices.
Pros
All meals provided
Cons
Lack of staffing
A great place for the youth to be and the youth careworkers cared about the youth,
In-Home Advocate (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 13, 2016
I would be on call in the winter months and worked daily in the summer, Management was poor they hid behind the walls of the private school and would get away with poor treatment of their employees,
Pros
free meals, lots of activities
Cons
poor management, ungrateful employors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pressley Ridge. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9