Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews in United States

If you are starving work here
cashier and bagger (Current Employee) –  Queensbury, NYFebruary 16, 2016
The associates were nice to work with but management is not competent at all. Training is bare minimum and you have to learn your job mostly through experience since management does not know much about the jobs themselves. You get raises every six months to one year which are minimal and do nothing but decrease your hours given to you over the course of time so you will actually make less if you are there longer overall. The work is generally simple minded but there is a lot of work to do. If you are a good worker you are more likely to be reprimanded to do even more than you already do because management does not spend time getting on those who are lazy as they already know they will not do more.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low paychecks, used on an as needed peak time basis
long hours no benefits horrible management
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Granville, NYMarch 16, 2016
It starts out exciting and fun everyone is nice to you at first.
Then after a while it's the same thing over and over, then they decide to add more for you to do. and expect a 72 hours worth of work crammed in one night each day of the week between 10pm and 6 am if you forget to punch out for anything they dock pay. gave us 40 hours a week and said no benefits because your official titles will be part timers still. (feel like that isn't legal..) okay job for kids I got out quick not something I would make a career of.
Pros
paid 15 minute break, co workers were the greatest
Cons
everything explained in the review
Watch out.
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYMarch 13, 2016
I'll start with the good. If you work enough hours you might get decent benefits. Also the coworkers are very pleasant to work with.

Now the bad. The environment has gotten terrible. Everyone feels taken advantage of, or completely replaceable. When rules change you are expected to just know them, or they expect you to sign a pledge form saying you will/won't do whatever it is. Management will almost always take the customers side resulting in the customers demands becoming more and more absurd. If you are a student or don't need a job, is the only way I would suggest that you work at Price Chopper. Otherwise stay away.
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
Everything Else
Not a fun place to work, but it's a job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 14, 2016
Although the job can at times be exhausting, it is a good building block for a job, not much career advancement available but good for a person looking to get a decent first job and some experience. I furthered expanded my patience and understanding of people not familiar with the duties we perform on a daily basis. Management was fair although there were a few times I did not agree with the way certain manners were handled. There was very little communication inside or outside of work between most of the co-workers. This job is honestly not difficult.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Good Temporary Job
Deli Teammate (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 28, 2016
A typical day at work involves serving customers and rotating/stocking inventory. I work part time, so i get no benefits from price chopper, thus my low rating on the Compensation/Benefits section. To be fair there are options available for insurance and retirement plans, but in my circumstance i do not have them. The job culture is fair, not all coworkers are pleasant to be around. The managers are mostly good but don't take the employee into consideration very often, except my direct manager.
Pros
fairly flexible schedule
Cons
no small benefits at all
High Stress, Minimal Control for Work Life Balance
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, VTMarch 24, 2016
The company claims to be a worker friendly company.
However, the company policies are anything other than worker friendly.
A Good place if you are in school and are not yet over 18. Only because there are more protections in place for minors.
Pros
supremely kind customers that appear on occasion, and actively reduce the amount of work you have to do.
Cons
The customer is Always right, A weekly Work Schedule, No standard hour options, Always on Call Even on days off, Anti-Union Complaints of company policies affect your schedule, Workmans compensation is not sufficient to live on to recover from injuries, health care benefits do not cover recommended recovery period for non-work related injuries, Dated and Constrictive Codes on expression of self
Great pay, dumb founded direction and management
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 1, 2015
As a former Night Manager in one of the PA stores, this company pays great management wise, but for their overnight stockers they treat them like dogs. When you know you don't have the right crew to get the job done, you push everybody to their limits,to try and succeed to get the work done. Many of the part timers are underpaid, while the managers cut down teammates and hours to make the Corporate Cash Cows happy.

I was a hard working Manager, while they treated me with utter disgust and my assistant as the next best thing.

They told me to either get fired or step down to part time. I left that place.
Great productive work environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkinton, MAMarch 16, 2016
At Price Chopper I stock shelves, build sale displays, and assist in the front end when I am needed. The job taught me teamwork and time management. The management is great. My bosses give me a lot of respect, and I respect them as well. When working with them, they really work to teach me what they know about working in this business. My co-workers are acceptable. We work together to get tasks done fast and efficiently. We get along well. The hardest part of the job is making sure you acknowledge as many guests as possible while I am working. Multitasking is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am assigned to build large multi-item sale displays.
Pros
Clean environment, good management, breaks
Fast-paced workplace, with room for advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOFebruary 5, 2016
Most days were very busy, and so long as you were a good worker who liked to stay productive and on task, the days flew by. I was cross-trained in multiple departments, and learned many skills. Upper management were less than professional. Were were very short on staff.
Pros
Paid vacation, benefits
Cons
Understaffed, unreliable hours
Price Chopper
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYMarch 18, 2016
Fun place to work. Team work. Management is great to work for.
The employees all work hard together. The easiest part of my job is doing bottle returns.
Pros
ease of schedule
Cons
Not Full time
Not ok
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, VTMarch 14, 2016
its not a bad job for a kid still in school but if looking to go forward with your career i would not suggest it. management is ok but if you have a issue they don't look into it and they treat everyone like there just a number in there phone book.
General Merchandise/HBC Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTFebruary 19, 2016
I learned how to manage inventory and how to manage a department. They have a great training program and the special benefits like discounts are great.The pay is average for a job of that caliber.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Low Pay and some management
Productive and fun place to work.
Photo Clerk (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYOctober 16, 2015
I started off as a Photo clerk on a recommendation due to my educational back ground. The hours were limited in Photo lab, but it got my foot in the door to a community of good and diverse work environment where I actually worked in several departments through out the store. The General Merchandise Department covered Seasonal, HBC, stationary,Pet and Hardware, and Photo; when I was not in the lab, there was plenty to do from stocking shelves to constructing and setting up displays to setting up and aisle off a plan-o-gram. I had a Good General Merchandise Department manager that also had me learning other departments when they were short handed which helped me get more hours.
It was a fun Place to work with supportive management.
Pros
Diverse experience through out store
Cons
Limited Healthcare benefits for part time.
Productive with customer service and item stocking
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYNovember 8, 2015
A typical day at work was productive.
I learned to deal with customers, money, and items properly.
The management was strict but productive.
Co-workers were very nice and easy to get along with.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with nasty customers but it got easy for me as time passed.
Co-workers were the best part of the job because they helped me strive to do better.
Pros
position movement
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no benefits
High Energy Work Place
Front End Supervisor/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 15, 2016
I loved working at Price Chopper, I gained so many life skills and excellent customer service skills from this job. I have made many new connections with local businesses and people who I encountered. A typical day was very busy and I was always on my feet, but it was worth it in the end. I loved being able to help people and assist them with their inquiries. My coworkers were hard working people who always followed the rules and policies placed by the company.
The management team is fair and easy to talk to. They always helped me whenever I had arising issues.
Cashier: Monotonous, but A Job Nonetheless
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 13, 2015
As a Retail Sales Clerk, or Cashier, your job was very simple. In fact it was just that. You count change, address the customer in a friendly manner, and scan their groceries. There was little deviation from the formula, and for some, it can be considered very stale or monotonous. Although it's not a job for everyone, it is a job. I only worked there part-time, but with full time, I had heard that there were medical benefits, among other perks, and opportunity for advancement, if you were up to the challenge. My favorite aspect of the job was my co-workers and managers. They were all very friendly, understanding and professional. I had no issues with the management for my entire time employed there. My least favorite part of the job was definitely the lack of variation. If you did not have something to take your mind off of checking the time, the hours seemed to stretch on for an eternity. But, to end with something positive, I learned quite a bit about customer service from this position. In dealing with so many customers a day, you have to be friendly, otherwise it makes everyone's day worse, including your own.
Pros
Management, Customer Service Experience
Cons
Dull, Seemingly Long Hours, No Challenges
Great Place to grow
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 7, 2015
Price chopper has been my life for the last 14 years. Growing company with plenty of growth. Long hours but it pays you well. 401K and benefits are top notch.
Pros
Excellent pay, Room for advancement
Cons
Long hours and weeks, Retail is retail.
Great pay. Company works great with people
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Spencer, MAJuly 19, 2016
Price chopper is a wonderful place to work.
A typical day there wasn't to busy but it can pick up. It was always manageable and everyone was wiling to help another if need be.
The management was well informed of things, and always up to help if there was a problem, Always good to talk to if there was a issue and would help to fix the problem. Made the working experiences much more enjoyable.
Other associates are also great, a lot are cross trained in the departments so everyone has a knowledge of the store, to help anyone who might need it, not matter what they are looking for.
The only downside was the lack of available hours to work, but besides that, the job is amazing to work at and be apart of
Pros
Great communication among management and associates. enjoyable work environment
Cons
Lack of hours to work. very short breaks. Low pay
Average Part-Time Job
Cake Decorator/Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYJune 12, 2016
probably depends on your store- but mine, part timers were given lousy hours, never know when you'll be working, shifts are always different. Management honestly wasn't very good throughout. Took the store manager months to even know my actual name. As a bakery clerk.. I mainly packaged/labeled product and helped customers, or slice their breads. The time I was doing cakes was pretty fun, can be a bit stressful if you're on your own at first. My coworkers were awesome, one thing I definitely miss. The store was like a big family. unfortunately the hours constantly changed and I needed something better! The shift in hours and not really being able to move up in your department was really my main issue. other than that, it's a pretty decent part time job.
Pros
learned a lot, coworkers are usually friendly
Cons
no discounts, bad hours, poor management
No work life balance
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NHDecember 3, 2015
There is no work life balance you work late one night then open the next day and so on and so forth. You have no time for you. The management plays favorites and you don't even get out or get your breaks on time.
Pros
customers, co workers
Cons
management, amount of call outs, Cold back room, no break room, orientation training takes too long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Price Chopper Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Price Chopper Supermarkets Reviews by Location