Price Chopper Supermarkets

Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Productive work place.
Supervisor/Cashier/Delivery/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 25, 2013
A typical day at work is when you greet your fellow employees, and get to run register or bag the customers groceries to help them get out quickly, and also helping the minors sell the alcohol (by manager override). Also making sure the drawers are full of adequate change to better serve the customers, and making sure that the change drawer for the supervisors balances out correctly at the end of the night. I also make sure that everything is organized and utilize any and all resources to make sure the day runs smoothly. I learned most of my office skills from my driving/dispatching job, where it was a necessity to be organized and able to account for every movement. Wrote daily emails as a dispatcher to let the manager know how the day ran. Within those emails I would let them know who is in fear of overtime, and if any problems took place, and how I dealt with the issues on hand; and if there were events scheduled that came in late or on time. With my supervising skills, I am more able to utilize my known and even unknown skills that I acquired over time by making sure everyone has a break/lunch on a timely manner, even on busy days. Also with the supervising job, I am able to work my organizing skills by doing paperwork; keeping the paperwork up to date, and punctual, and into their rightful binders and proper filing cabinets.

The co-workers help make the day go quicker, with their quick anecdotes or their experiences that coincide with my experiences on the job. The only hard part about my job is the busy times, but it helps make the day go quicker and helps me use my multitasking
  more... side a lot more often by helping me split into two, by going from register to register making sure that everything is good. “Running” to the aisles to get proper items needed for certain transactions, and if running register, I make sure that the minors are near by so if it is a must, I can get to them in a quick manner to help them sell alcohol. Or having to run easy scan and the register next to it because a person is meant to leave at a certain time. If they have a small line, I finish their line off and also run the four registers at easy scan. For my most enjoyable part of the job, its seeing customers smile, and hear them compliment co-workers in which I had a hand in training get glowing reviews. Or hearing that I am sometimes too cheery to have worked in Price Chopper for eight-years. It is a rewarding job, but it doesn’t offer any advancement, which is the hardest part of the job. And when they do offer advancements, the good hard workers watch as the not so hard working employees move forward within the company. But, all in all, I wouldn’t change a thing, just hoping for a better job or position that can better suit my skills, and can truly see how hard of a worker I truly am.  less
Pros
good people, new/old faces, excellent
Cons
lack of health care, no advancement.
Very busy job - every day was never the same. It tested you every day.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Owego NYOctober 3, 2012
A typical day was to verfiy the total apperance of the store - parking lot,side walks, entry, Front End (cashier station - to make sure each station have supplies for the day),Bottle and maintenance room -(to make sure enough supplies to the day), Service service desk, and Bathrooms were cleaned and ready for our guest. This was done hourly each day. I would need to run register,supervisive the floor, ensure breaks and lunches were in complyed to state and company policies. Keep up to date on e-mail, review what the pricing coordinater was doing and needed to complete for the day, check Direcr Connect for time off request, review reports for the Office supervisor (over/short report), reseach over/short in cash and/or coupons, verify reports for Western Union, write documentation and do correction as needed. As needed do hire for Front End and pull applications
for all departments managers. Over site all work paper for all new hires and send to payroll. Coach team mates to improve their knowledge and skills to improve thier ablilies as cashiers, office clerks, and bottle & maintenance clerks.
Verify each day that all Front End team mates were following OSHA and Safety policies.
Review scheduling for the day and for the next day to be ensured to be on budget in line will sales. Get with store manager on any problens and go over documentation done for the day on over/short and/or asbences and policies. Write and send schedule for all fix jobs to the schedule writer weekly in Main Office. Edit schedule for the next week within the budget and give to the Store Manager. This was done
  more... as I could but done by the due date and time. Also helped with Super Samples as needed. Do the ordering for the Front End and Super Samples weekly as budget allowed.

What I learned was to be very flexible and doing more than 1 thing at a time. Stop and returning the jobs I was working on and got good it. Never missed a dead time.

Management- It got to the point at there was a gray point- when policies were being waved.

Co-workers - for the most part co-workers (Deptment Manager) and I worked as a team. If some one need a team mate for the day or the week I would help them out - or if they could help me out in order to give the best customer service we could.

The hardest part of my job- was time. Some days we would be very busy and I would need to run register most of the day or all of my shift due to the cut back on budget for Front End.

The most of my job - I think I gave to my self - knowing that I did my best plus every day.
Pros
good benifits and had some good co-workers
Cons
most of the time called to the floor durning lunch
Productive workplace with occasional staff appreciation days
Meat Clerk/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJune 10, 2012
In a typical day of work, I would start off stocking the refrigerators and freezers in my area if they were running low on our products. Depending on how much the meat cutters cut that day, I would sometimes also need to take multiple trips to the trash and compacting room to dispose of cardboard and trash in the work area. Towards the end of my shift, I would start cleaning the floors, meat grinders, bone saw, and any other equipment which had been soiled over the course of the day. After I extensively cleaned all required pieces of equipment, I would sanitize everything with an approved and properly diluted sanitizer. While performing all of these tasks, I would also be helping customers if they needed my help with either meat selection or desired custom cuts. My manager is a good person and I learned alot from him in regards to conflict management. We would have some difficult customers and through observing him, I learned the most appropriate ways to interact with such customers. The others that I worked with were great as well. I worked on average with 4 other people in total, but 2 in a day of work. From them I learned alot about the workplace itself and effective sale tactics. The hardest part of the job was trying to remember each and every cut of meat. I felt that I should try to learn as much as I could about meat, in order to improve my effectiveness as an employee. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and conversing with my coworkers.
Pros
employee wellness program, 6 star program
Cons
short breaks, low pay grade
Would not recommend at all
Deli Clerk/Food Court Cook (Former Employee) –  Glenville, NYJuly 5, 2013
During my very short stint at PC I had three different managers, who would often ask me when I was going shopping on a day off if I could come in and work. Along with that, when I actually gained free time in order to work, I was given no hours whatsoever - in fact, the last couple of weeks I was "employed" there, I had 0 hours per week.

While most of my coworkers were friendly, I had one coworker who made my shifts miserable and my managers refused to do anything about it. He would make offensive jokes, which often were poking fun at massacres or tragedies, and he also made several misogynistic comments towards me in regards to my capabilities as an employee. He also got great enjoyment out of harassing me and my other coworkers whilst we were trying to serve customers.

My final manager was a total pain, and even though I gave him several copies of my schedule he refused to give me any hours. He also treated me and my fellow coworkers horribly. When I quit, he didn't even recall that I had done so, and continued to call me asking me to cover shifts, even though I had told him that I had quit weeks ago.

This job also required a great amount of standing, which is difficult for me to manage given that I have a disability that makes standing for a long time to be quite painful. I would not recommend this job for anyone who has a similar problem.
Pros
regular breaks, relatively easy work, no heavy lifting
Cons
bad managers, coworkers that would not be warned for their inappropriate behavior, standing for 8+ hours
Good work environment, great management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Glenmont, NYFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day was working in the deli line serving customers meats and cheeses. I learned how to deal with customers of all sorts, working at a supermarket between a wealthy town and the city of Albany delivered various types of customers. It taught me that each customer deserves their own style of assistance and that not every customer is the same. I learned there is no one style in which you can help a customer because each person is different. I learned to cope with co-workers whether I got along with them or not. I found ways to work well with all of my co-workers no matter the situation. The hardest part of the job was in fact dealing with co-workers who didn't get along, I never really had trouble with any co-workers but often sat third party to co-workers who didn't get along. I would find ways to seperate their duties so that they could perform their jobs without crossing paths too often. The most enjoyable part of the job was being given other tasks to perform. I took pride in the fact that my manager chose me to perform other duties because she knew I could perform those tasks and still find time to finish my daily duties.
Pros
my manager was phenomenal, good hours
Cons
underwent several renovations and product changes throughout my years, made it a bit more difficult to learn entire new catalouges everytime i came home from college.
A good job to work hard and encounter loyal co workers who will support you
2007-present worked as a produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYJune 27, 2013
*A typical day of work is arriving at work 7 AM and put on my apron and my PPE (personal protective equipment) and cull the wet rack. Trim and discard bad product and refill to attract customers to buy fresh product. After everything is filled I move onto the section of another co-worker and assist their work until they are finished or the floor is set.
Next is un-stacking the load and putting out new perishable product onto the sales floor and rotating the current stock as I shelf.

*Management was very fair to its employees. My department manager, provided workers with hours even if there were none to give.

*My co-workers were very focused and purpose driven in order to get the tasks of the day to be finished efficiently

*Hardest part of the job is having to explain that there is missing produce, either because it is simply out of stock, or out of season, and having to provide or suggest an alternative.

* The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to answer a produce question and share my cooking knowledge with a regular customer. It is also satisfying to have the product and present it to a customer when he/she doesn't see it.. They are always full of gratitude and speak positively about you.
Pros
easy to travel to, fun work
Cons
no chance to be full time, no chance to move upward in management.
A Day at Price Chopper
Stocking Clerk (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 24, 2013
Being employed by a Price Chopper Supermarket is your local town can feel rewarding as well as make you feel successful. However, without proper leadership skills, it is incredibly difficult to advance within your home store. Unless you have the ability to travel, you're at constant competition with the other employees that have the advantage of traveling from store to store. A typical workday for a stocking clerk's position includes checking each individual isle for holes on shelves where product should be available for customers. You are to greet any customers with a question or an inquiry with a friendly and courteous attitude. Your co-workers are your teammates. You help them, and they help you. If there is slack in the system, you never completely finish the job to full potential, being that you always have a task. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a frustrated or disgruntled customer. The most enjoyable experiences you will have are after you meet a customer with their request and they are overjoyed that you were able to fulfill. You may make someone's day just by taking the time to search for something they can't find and if they truly need that specific item.
Pros
working with a wide network and range of people.
Cons
no discounts, free food. health benefits are expensive, and full-time positions are rare.
productive to work at "its like family"
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYMarch 25, 2013
A Typical day at work is when we help customers with the groceries.. like the FE will need help and one of customer service comes out and go one register to ring them out faster. I have learned that good customer service will make customers happy and that they will come back. I was a lead guest service clerk which is an assistant to an office supervisor which it only lasted a year because we moved to a new building and i didnt reapply in time. My Customer Service Co-workers is most careing people i ever worked with. But i would love to try for banking which im good cashing checks and count out money to customers and I get the line down in about 5 minutes depends how many customers are in the line. The hardest part of my job is that I get attitude from my higher supervisor if I make a little mistake or no mistake and by customers when there is a mistake on their receipt or wont be able to cash their check. The most enjoyable part of my job is when everyone is happy and the day went by quickly. I think its time for me to move up in the banking business which I'm trying to do.. Please help me out with that I will be greatful.
Pros
when we get free lunch during holidays
Cons
short breaks, somewhat ok healthcare.
POOR place to work!!!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, NYApril 29, 2012
I worked there and needed to go there weekly to get my hr. if I was not working when they were posted. I was told I'd get 20+ hr. per week when hired. Well some weeks I got NO hours. To drive to the place and find you have NO scheduled hr. for that week, irritated me. They would NOT allow you to call to get your schedule. Also, the schedule was suppose to get posted at a certain time. I went down there to see the schedule and was told it was not out yet. Often I had to go there several times to find out my weekly schedule. NOT worth the price of gas to find you ONLY have 4 hr. or worse yet, NO hr. for the week I was working with mostly young kids who had NO respect for an adult worker. Or for their customers!!!

They did NOT consider my experience into my wage. The wage is minimum and EVERYONE starts at the same. RIDICULOUS!!!!

The ONLY pro's were that they give you vacation IF you get an aver. of 25 hr. per week. GOOD LUCK with that!!!!!

I had a death in my family and was told I needed to find my own replacement. I wanted to leave one day due to a family member passing, and was told I NEEDED to complete out my shift. Let's get real here.....Price Chopper for their people???????

I NEEDED a job and took it to avoid unemployment. It was the WORST job I had in my entire life.
Pros
breaks after working 4 hr.
Cons
tooo many to list!!!
Stressful and emotionally damaging work envirenmont.
Front End Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHDecember 17, 2015
Working at Price Chopper has been almost like a roller coaster where 75% of it is spent in Misery and the other 25% in contentment. I enjoy the customers most of all, though like and any store they aren't always so pleasant. However, the management and the overall atmosphere of the workplace ranges from appropriate and mild mannered to overly critical and almost cold a robotic, at some points entirely inappropriate and entirely rude. Personal experience includes employers having lack of knowledge of their own inner workings, including issues with paperwork and forms not being handed out at appropriate times. As well, having had money stolen from my locker roughly 7 months prier to this review and still having not been compensated after being "comforted" that I would have my money returned regardless. The company is cruel, The employers either don't care about peoples' needs or don't care about they're performance. Working here is for people who don't have any one at home to care for and are looking for drama. They claim to be a family company but there is no follow through in their actions that shows they have any regards for their employees.
Fun place to work and meet new people
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYOctober 30, 2013
The job in of itself was fun, laid back, and all around enjoyable. The pay may not have been the greatest, as it relied entirely upon how many hours available to be given any individual which at times were not very impressive.

I learned a great deal while working here, including the importance of communication, both with fellow workers and management, as well as with customers. Being able to effectively talk to anyone about an issue, or just to chat about a product, really helped make the days enjoyable and allowed me the opportunity to learn a great deal from those around me.

The hardest aspect of the job wasn't necessarily the requirements of the job itself, but what the requirements were of me by upper management. I realize that not all stores were operated quite like my own, but it really did make it difficult to carry out what I know to be primary job functions, just to satisfy the requests and expectations of a select one or two individuals.

All in all, unreasonable expectations aside, it is an enjoyable place to work part time in between jobs, unless you can qualify yourself for management training.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
low pay, at times very few hours, and poor upper management
you never really know who's in your corner til crunch time
Grocery 1st clerk (Current Employee) –  MAJanuary 25, 2013
It all depends on the store you work in and who you work with some managers are just unable to please and some store managers treat their teamates with no respect they talk customer service and being nice to the customer but in the same breath they basically tell you that you don't matter, and it doesn't matter how long you work for them and the good you do all anyone remembers is the wrong things you've done or the work that you didn't get done if they get the chance they will put you on the chopping block and leave you out to dry absolutley without a doubt no loyalty and will turn on you if it doesn't suit them to stand up for you. If customers call to complain about you, you will definitly hear about it but if they call to give you a compliment you never hear about it....and if a customer complains about you your wrong but if it's about a store manager well they must be mistaken overall Price Chopper and the Golub corporation only care about one thing and it's not YOU it's their bottom line
Pros
the pay is ok and most of the people you work with are ok
Cons
no loyalty your opinion doesnn't matter and they will hang you out to dry if it suits them to do so
Price Chopper
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Gardner, MAJune 15, 2013
Although I did learn working at Price Chopper, I also realized many things about it. Just like the other co-workers, I am underpaid. They don't really pay anyone what they're worth, nor do they have the money to give all of the co workers the hours they deserve. The store is in an awful location (Gardner Massachusetts). The management is not very good. Most of the time when I see the choices they make and the things they do I wonder if I could do better with that position. It's like they use their position as an excuse to make stupid mistakes. The Co-workers were fine, they are all hard working kids who really don't get paid what they're worth, because besides the management, they're all really hard workers. I can't really think of anything that I found hard there. All the work was very straight forward and easy. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I would have a lot of work to do and I would just keep working and making everything look nice until my shift was up.
Pros
easy, nice co-workers, nice customers, convenient location to me
Cons
just about everything else i didn't mention in pros.
Terrible place to be right now
Produce Clerk p/t (Former Employee) –  Guilderland, NYMarch 20, 2014
The only good thing about this position was that I made some friends in my store. You can meet great people who make the job bearable, if not entertaining.

I worked as a part timer in NY for over 8 years. In that time I've witnessed a steady downward spiral in terms of management and priorities.

Capable employees who want to succeed are seemingly kept away from higher positions (I have two graduate degrees and got *one* interview for basic corporate jobs in 8 months). Plus, the woman who was supposed to interview me worked from home that day and failed to tell me... I spent an additional 20 minutes at check-in due to this error.

At the store level, things are even worse. Management, department management, specialists, and regional managers all give conflicting reports and requirements. Every week - let alone every day - is more confusing than the last. Retail sucks, but come on...

Arbitrary decisions and no payroll to speak of... I'm glad I had a part-time job, but I'm equally glad to be out of here.
Compensations and benefits are good but it is hard to advance past the Assistant Management Position
Customer Service Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at work is walking the entire department and making sure everything is ready for business. I set up cashiers to their registers for the day and supervise them throughout. I assist customers with their needs and make sure their experience is the best possible. I oversee the Maintenance team and make sure they are taking care of the outside, carts are being retrieved throughout the day and standards are being held. I've learned how to do financials, properly write a schedule according to business needs, how to watch trends and use that knowledge to effectively manage. Management is moderate. I work well with my Co-workers. The hardest part is building a good team and maintaining that team when management is not on the same page. I enjoy the fast pace of the store and my customers.
Pros
pay
Cons
expensive healthcare and advancement
Fast paced, competetive environment that I thrived in and was promoted several times throughout my 8 year period with the company
Guest Service Manager (Former Employee) –  PAMarch 5, 2014
I worked approximately 9-10 hour days, any day of the week as a member of senior store management, and commuted over an hour each way for work, depending on which store I was working in. I managed a team ranging from appx 55 - 90 teammates depending on the store volume and enjoyed the service aspect of the job, helping our customers feel like guests and ensuring retention of customers and customer loyalty. I greatly enjoyed working with my team and developing teammates as well. The most difficult part of the job was, as the company began to struggle and lay offs began, the moral and corporate ethics suffered as a result.
Pros
good salary, good benefits, working with the public
Cons
limited budgets, corporate changes daily, inconsistent direction from upper level management
very productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 15, 2013
I would go to work clock in get my register ready and cash customers out efficiently and I would answer any questions they had. If I did not know the answer to there question I would ask another employee like a supervisor or manager and help that customer out. Management was not good they picked favorites sometimes. They couldn't keep the schedule right there r times I didn't show up because they messed the schedule up and I didn't know I had to work. The hardest part of the job was the hours I couldn't afford my bills because they kept cutting hours. The enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers out and making them laugh. I learned a lot about satisfying customers and helping them the best that I could.
Pros
the pros were just being around the customers and seeing them smile when i talked to them
Cons
the cons were just the hours i wasn't getting enough hours and they were messing up the schedule.
Fast paced,clean enviroment,fun enviroment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYMay 24, 2012
I liked working for Price Chopper. I worked in the deli dept. I actually learned alot about myself concidering I didn't really have much experience in that area. And I never would have thought I was a people person "customer service" but working at price chopper made me realize that I'm more of a social person than I thought I was.
. My managers and coworkers easy to get along with. I think the hardest part of my job was when we didn't have certain product in stock,especially when it was on sale and I had to substitute something in place of it. It upset customers and really through the rest of the day off. The most enjoyable "on the other hand" is just the opposite,Knowing that customers got exactly what they asked for in a timely manner knowing "more than likely' that customer will come back again.
Pros
constantly doing something, good food
Cons
timeclock/issues
Challenging, fast paced, satisfying.
Store Set Up Specialist (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 14, 2014
Today, I assisted the lead Store Set Up Specialist along with two other Store Set Up Specialists in preparing to open a new store that will open within the next four days. This involved merchandising all of the Center Store Categories, including, Grocer, Dairy,Frozen, GM, HBC, and Front End.

I learned how to install wood gates for the 3-way end cap fixtures. My manager called one of my peers to discuss the next assignment with him, which he will lead.

The biggest challenge of the Store Set Up Coordinators position is that there is a finite amount of time to open the store, and I can't do everything myself. So trusting that I can give good direction as well as having realistic expectations regarding what is acceptable and perfection is what I have to balance.
Pros
ability to work independantly.
Cons
changes in company car program
Poor place to work
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 12, 2013
At the time of my employment the women in this department were very petty and caddy. If they put forth the effort working vs. backstabbing and talking about another department employee It would have been a great place to work. I learned very quickly I did not want to be around this type of employee. People did not work together they just stood there vs. jumping in and getting the customer moving faster by cutting their cheeses while I was cutting their coldcuts. Woman at the time who was the Deli Mgr. was just as guilty as the petty caddy girls were. She spoke about people amongst the employees in the department. Most enjoyable part of the job was when I went home and got away from these people and collecting my paycheck weekly was enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was keeping my mouth shut as I witnessed people backstabbing each other.