Price Chopper Supermarkets

Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews in United States

If you are starving work here
cashier and bagger (Current Employee) –  Queensbury, NYFebruary 16, 2016
The associates were nice to work with but management is not competent at all. Training is bare minimum and you have to learn your job mostly through experience since management does not know much about the jobs themselves. You get raises every six months to one year which are minimal and do nothing but decrease your hours given to you over the course of time so you will actually make less if you are there longer overall. The work is generally simple minded but there is a lot of work to do. If you are a good worker you are more likely to be reprimanded to do even more than you already do because management does not spend time getting on those who are lazy as they already know they will not do more.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low paychecks, used on an as needed peak time basis
long hours no benefits horrible management
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Granville, NYMarch 16, 2016
It starts out exciting and fun everyone is nice to you at first.
Then after a while it's the same thing over and over, then they decide to add more for you to do. and expect a 72 hours worth of work crammed in one night each day of the week between 10pm and 6 am if you forget to punch out for anything they dock pay. gave us 40 hours a week and said no benefits because your official titles will be part timers still. (feel like that isn't legal..) okay job for kids I got out quick not something I would make a career of.
Pros
paid 15 minute break, co workers were the greatest
Cons
everything explained in the review
Watch out.
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYMarch 13, 2016
I'll start with the good. If you work enough hours you might get decent benefits. Also the coworkers are very pleasant to work with.

Now the bad. The environment has gotten terrible. Everyone feels taken advantage of, or completely replaceable. When rules change you are expected to just know them, or they expect you to sign a pledge form saying you will/won't do whatever it is. Management will almost always take the customers side resulting in the customers demands becoming more and more absurd. If you are a student or don't need a job, is the only way I would suggest that you work at Price Chopper. Otherwise stay away.
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
Everything Else
High Stress, Minimal Control for Work Life Balance
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, VTMarch 24, 2016
The company claims to be a worker friendly company.
However, the company policies are anything other than worker friendly.
A Good place if you are in school and are not yet over 18. Only because there are more protections in place for minors.
Pros
supremely kind customers that appear on occasion, and actively reduce the amount of work you have to do.
Cons
The customer is Always right, A weekly Work Schedule, No standard hour options, Always on Call Even on days off, Anti-Union Complaints of company policies affect your schedule, Workmans compensation is not sufficient to live on to recover from injuries, health care benefits do not cover recommended recovery period for non-work related injuries, Dated and Constrictive Codes on expression of self
Good Temporary Job
Deli Teammate (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 28, 2016
A typical day at work involves serving customers and rotating/stocking inventory. I work part time, so i get no benefits from price chopper, thus my low rating on the Compensation/Benefits section. To be fair there are options available for insurance and retirement plans, but in my circumstance i do not have them. The job culture is fair, not all coworkers are pleasant to be around. The managers are mostly good but don't take the employee into consideration very often, except my direct manager.
Pros
fairly flexible schedule
Cons
no small benefits at all
Fast-paced workplace, with room for advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOFebruary 5, 2016
Most days were very busy, and so long as you were a good worker who liked to stay productive and on task, the days flew by. I was cross-trained in multiple departments, and learned many skills. Upper management were less than professional. Were were very short on staff.
Pros
Paid vacation, benefits
Cons
Understaffed, unreliable hours
Productive and fun place to work.
Photo Clerk (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYOctober 16, 2015
I started off as a Photo clerk on a recommendation due to my educational back ground. The hours were limited in Photo lab, but it got my foot in the door to a community of good and diverse work environment where I actually worked in several departments through out the store. The General Merchandise Department covered Seasonal, HBC, stationary,Pet and Hardware, and Photo; when I was not in the lab, there was plenty to do from stocking shelves to constructing and setting up displays to setting up and aisle off a plan-o-gram. I had a Good General Merchandise Department manager that also had me learning other departments when they were short handed which helped me get more hours.
It was a fun Place to work with supportive management.
Pros
Diverse experience through out store
Cons
Limited Healthcare benefits for part time.
General Merchandise/HBC Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTFebruary 19, 2016
I learned how to manage inventory and how to manage a department. They have a great training program and the special benefits like discounts are great.The pay is average for a job of that caliber.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Low Pay and some management
Productive with customer service and item stocking
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYNovember 8, 2015
A typical day at work was productive.
I learned to deal with customers, money, and items properly.
The management was strict but productive.
Co-workers were very nice and easy to get along with.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with nasty customers but it got easy for me as time passed.
Co-workers were the best part of the job because they helped me strive to do better.
Pros
position movement
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no benefits
times are changing.
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Spencer, MAMarch 25, 2016
There has been a lot of changes in benefits and working expectations..I really have enjoyed my 20 years working for them
Not a fun place to work, but it's a job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 14, 2016
Although the job can at times be exhausting, it is a good building block for a job, not much career advancement available but good for a person looking to get a decent first job and some experience. I furthered expanded my patience and understanding of people not familiar with the duties we perform on a daily basis. Management was fair although there were a few times I did not agree with the way certain manners were handled. There was very little communication inside or outside of work between most of the co-workers. This job is honestly not difficult.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Not the greatest place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Watervliet, NYSeptember 23, 2015
There are a lot of glaring issue with how the store and the company work. For starters, not all employees are treated equally. The newer employees are getting a starting salary of $10.00/hour while there are some that are still only making less than $9.00/hour. I am one of the people making less than the newer workers and I am a supervisor and I try to go above and beyond for the company and still get paid and treated unfairly. There are one or two other supervisors other than myself that get the same treatment while there are employees who sit around and do nothing that are getting paid more than us.
Great Place to grow
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 7, 2015
Price chopper has been my life for the last 14 years. Growing company with plenty of growth. Long hours but it pays you well. 401K and benefits are top notch.
Pros
Excellent pay, Room for advancement
Cons
Long hours and weeks, Retail is retail.
Cashier: Monotonous, but A Job Nonetheless
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 13, 2015
As a Retail Sales Clerk, or Cashier, your job was very simple. In fact it was just that. You count change, address the customer in a friendly manner, and scan their groceries. There was little deviation from the formula, and for some, it can be considered very stale or monotonous. Although it's not a job for everyone, it is a job. I only worked there part-time, but with full time, I had heard that there were medical benefits, among other perks, and opportunity for advancement, if you were up to the challenge. My favorite aspect of the job was my co-workers and managers. They were all very friendly, understanding and professional. I had no issues with the management for my entire time employed there. My least favorite part of the job was definitely the lack of variation. If you did not have something to take your mind off of checking the time, the hours seemed to stretch on for an eternity. But, to end with something positive, I learned quite a bit about customer service from this position. In dealing with so many customers a day, you have to be friendly, otherwise it makes everyone's day worse, including your own.
Pros
Management, Customer Service Experience
Cons
Dull, Seemingly Long Hours, No Challenges
productive and good teamwork
cake decorator (Current Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYOctober 16, 2015
busy fast pace every day.
I trained cake decorating.
Management is good.
Good teamwork.
The hardest part of the job is working around holiday season.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get good comments from customers about cakes I decorate.
Pros
401K
Cons
no full-time opportunity
Good Benefits
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYJuly 25, 2015
Busy days are better make the day go faster and I do not like to do nothing I have to remain busy at all times. I learn something new everyday, especially since we are now Market 32 new rules to cater to customers and new products. I enjoy working with all my co-workers I try to make it fun and professional at the same time. The hardest part is there is no A/C and I have to oversee 25 cash registers and sometimes you get pages several at the same time so I have to run back and forth and the heat makes me feel ill. I enjoy working there because I am working with people all day long and I enjoy speaking with the customers as they walk by asking where an item is now located and as they are checking out there items. I enjoy escorting them to the item and pointing out all our new items. I guess that where my Sales experience comes in and I also sell our new products by suggestive selling.
Benefits
Great productive work environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkinton, MAMarch 16, 2016
At Price Chopper I stock shelves, build sale displays, and assist in the front end when I am needed. The job taught me teamwork and time management. The management is great. My bosses give me a lot of respect, and I respect them as well. When working with them, they really work to teach me what they know about working in this business. My co-workers are acceptable. We work together to get tasks done fast and efficiently. We get along well. The hardest part of the job is making sure you acknowledge as many guests as possible while I am working. Multitasking is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am assigned to build large multi-item sale displays.
Pros
Clean environment, good management, breaks
I wouldn't work there.
Courtesy Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 11, 2015
When I come in I immediately start retrieving carts.They say courtesy clerks are supposed to rotate between cart duty and sacking every hour. Instead I spend 2 to 3 hours outside. The co-workers were great to work with. The managers wouldn't provide a flexible schedule. I learned that some mangers don't care about employees.
Pros
n/a
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Great first job.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 1, 2015
My time working at Price Chopper has been very valuable. I have learned many skills, most important of which is the ability to provide outstanding customer service. Working in the pharmacy, I have gained extensive knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry including, but not limited to: basic knowledge of pharmacology, billing of both commercial and government-payer insurance, and inventory management. My co-workers look to me for guidance for many aspects of my job. A typical day at work consists of filling auto-filled prescriptions, followed by calling doctors offices and hospitals for clarification and to solve problems with patient therapy. All of this is done while balancing drop-off prescriptions and patient phone calls. The hardest part of my job is prioritizing tasks while keeping my patients happy. The most enjoyable part of my job is receiving thanks and praise from the patients for going above and beyond with their healthcare.
Pros
Great relationship with customers and fellow employees
Cons
Limited pay and benefits, no full-time advancement opportunities
Great pay. Company works great with people
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Spencer, MAJuly 19, 2016
Price chopper is a wonderful place to work.
A typical day there wasn't to busy but it can pick up. It was always manageable and everyone was wiling to help another if need be.
The management was well informed of things, and always up to help if there was a problem, Always good to talk to if there was a issue and would help to fix the problem. Made the working experiences much more enjoyable.
Other associates are also great, a lot are cross trained in the departments so everyone has a knowledge of the store, to help anyone who might need it, not matter what they are looking for.
The only downside was the lack of available hours to work, but besides that, the job is amazing to work at and be apart of
Pros
Great communication among management and associates. enjoyable work environment
Cons
Lack of hours to work. very short breaks. Low pay

Price Chopper Supermarkets Reviews by Location