Price Chopper Supermarkets

Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Easy Bagging
bagger (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYSeptember 9, 2016
Day at work: clock in, find out what register you need to be at, go to the register assigned and bag customers groceries neatly and if customer needs help to car, help

Learned: how to bag properly

Management: always working with you and for you

Co-workers: always were nice to me and helped if i needed it, cashiers worked with me as a bagger

Hardest: standing for hours

Enjoyable: bagging was easy
Pros
alot of great benefits and plans, work advancement is quick, pay upped after 3 months, clean place
Cons
standing for hours and minimum wage
Hot Temporary Work Place
Cart Attendant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 14, 2016
I would just come in throughout the summer and stand outside in the parking lot and wait for the carts to stack up so I can bring them back to the front of the supermarket and wipe them down and clean it out and that's how it would go for the rest of the time I worked there. I learned how to control a number of carts and not be able to hit any cars parked or not in the parking lot. The best part about this job was that we could go in the supermarket and get free lipton ice teaI found that pretty cool.
Starter Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roeland Park, KS/ Kansas City, MOAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at Price Chopper, was busy. Dealing with different people and their moods at the time, was a bit overwhelming at times but I learned to cater to the customer wants and needs. The management was rocky, sometimes they were pleased with the way I would do my job, sometimes they just down right disapproved of the way I did things even though I got the job done at a faster pace, and got all the work done. The co-workers were pretty cool, we all got along, we worked well together. The most enjoyable thing about working at this company was meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
workloads
not that great anymore
perishable teammate in several departments. (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NY 13090August 19, 2016
I worked with this company for almost 2 years. i enjoyed what i did and had a great time. when it came time for the company to help me with my mental problems. My store manager didn't want a thing to deal with it. pushed me away from the idea of seeking help and just did what he could to avoid it. yeah i had chances and given slack. but the real problems i needed help to be dealt with. was not meant in any way. upon being fired. the whole situation was sour. i could have fought for my job but i did want to work there anymore. if you enjoy being over worked, taken advantage of or having none of you accomplishments go unnoticed. this is the place for you. just like working in high school basically.
My experience at Price Chopper supermarkets
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYAugust 23, 2016
I had a great experience at Price Chopper supermarkets. I was at the cashier were I assisted customers on a daily basis. I learned how to take inventory on produce I got along and learned a lot from Co workers..The hardest part of the job was learning the codes on the produce at the cashier area. I really enjoyed getting to know and assisting my co workers and customers alike
Pros
Great team work
Cons
The most enjoyable part of the job.
General Merchandise Team Member (Former Employee) –  Barre, VTAugust 27, 2016
I enjoy customer service, instead of telling a customer on what shelf or isle an item was, I owned that customer for a short time by leading the customer to the isle and showing them where it was. With a smile, and a great greeting I was told by my manager I was the Ambassador of Price Chopper.
Pros
Friendly workers, a Great Selling team
Cons
Very low pay for the amount of time, never a 36-40 Hr week!
An amazing place to learn new work skills, and meet amazing people/
Cahier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  West Lebanon, NHJuly 17, 2016
Price Chopper is one of the companies I've worked for. Not only are they professional, and easy to get along with. But they are the biggest family I have to this day. Whether it's work issues, home issues, friend and family issues, they are all their for you.

They take harassment complaints very serious, I always feel safe and welcome at Price Chopper.
Pros
Paid breaks, amazing people
Cons
Only 50 minutes of breaks (all together) for an 8+ hour shift
Unsatisfactory
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NY 13039July 11, 2016
-Extreme physical labor with minimal breaks
-Poorly managed company
-Been with this company 10+ years and they will not promote
-Management does not manage or care for their employees
-I manage my co workers but am not paid or treated different
-The physical labor and demands from management
-I love my customers
Pros
Is physical, so the days go by fast, I have great relationships with regular customers
Cons
management doesn't do their job, they refuse vacation time, breaks, and refuse promotions and raises
Fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, NYSeptember 6, 2016
Working at Price Chopper introduced me to learning important customer service skills and how to work as a team in the workforce. The hardest part of my job was when I would be working very hard to spread a friendly customer service environment, when others would be texting or not greeting customers with a smile and complaining. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting customers who were visiting from all over the world and listening to their stories. Another enjoyable part of my job was when elderly people would tell me that I would make their day, and they would specifically come to my line for their check out process. That made me feel like I was doing my job the best I could, and customers were appreciative of my hard work as well.
Pros
worked great around my college schedule
Cons
Short breaks and no benefits
Its a retail job, but I like the people I work with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 13, 2016
Very flexible with hours when I am in school and I like the people I work with. the work can be boring and some people can drive you crazy, but its a retail job so you should expect that. I've worked for Price Chopper for almost 5 years now, and while I don't want to spend the rest of my life here, I can't really complain about the job and I don't hold any ill will towards the company.
Pros
co-workers
It would be better with standard set hours instead of being called in and asked to leave early when you are near overtime statis.. Liked working there
Deli associate (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYAugust 1, 2016
was asked to do to many different job assignments in any given day, asked to stay late on a regular basis until you get close to overtime statis then they make you leave early.
Pros
Cons
no set work scheduele for parttime workers and no job security.
Don't apply
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYJuly 13, 2016
They work you like a dog, pay is minimum wage, hours suck, and they reprimand you for the stupidest things. Management will leave you as the only person working at night, the busiest shopping time of the day, you have no coverage for breaks or lunches, You have to clean and wait on customers all by yourself and if you get so busy you can't take a lunch, they write you up for it.
Pros
Cons
all cons
Work anywhere else
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYJune 20, 2016
Co-workers didn't talk to each other, management was always yelling at everyone. On slow days, we could be standing at our registers after having just cleaned them, with no customers in line, and we would get yelled at for making conversation with each other. Not a fun environment. Also, they lost multiple paychecks of mine and would always give me a hard time about requesting time off, even when it was months in advance.
Limited growth
Receiving manager (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJune 7, 2016
Little to non-existent leadership. Experienced help left alone, as they "knew what to do" with no guidance. Satisfactory pay and benefits if you were full time. Antiquated store rules of financial store operations. Tons of shrinkage, due to outdated product that did not sell. Recvoomnded to sell at a reduced price before outdate, but company refused to. Would prefer to throw it away rather than get omething for it. Directors worked "banker's hours."
I feel I am worth more than what I am making.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJune 5, 2016
My day begins with opening pharmacy,answering phones,data entry,filling prescriptions.I deal with many patients speaking to them resolving insurance problems. I basiclally do not have time dealing with my co workers because i am so involved in pharmacy issues. there are no issues as far as the hardest part of my job I have been doing this for so long. The best part of my job is helping others.
Pros
enjoying what I do
Cons
I would like to make more money I have 25 years of experience
Terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 4, 2016
I started off liking this job when I was hired, it was fun and I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers. However, the deeper I got, the worse it got. Management and supervisors are very rude, and don't care about their employees. It's very hard to get time off when you need it, and in an emergency situation, they're hesitant to believe you. I guess it's a good place to start out if you want to be miserable all the time.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, supervisors, customers
Not recomended for part-time employment
Produce teammate (Former Employee) –  West Carthage, NYJuly 8, 2016
Hectic, how to cram 10 hours worth of work into 5 hours, management never satisfied, co-workers are some of the best people I have ever worked with, getting hours very hard if you are part-time, customer service is the best part of the job!
Pros
Plenty of time for a personal life, customers are great
Cons
Cannot afford to pay bills or a personal life
Productive and fast pace work area.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NYJune 2, 2016
As a Deli worker and slicer, I felt that I had to build up strength because there was so many customers at so many times and my Manger exclaimed because I kept my area quite neat and clean I was drawing in more customers. I want to express house keeping at the end of the day, was always done because I kept my area clean and up kept, I just wanted to express that to show my maturity level in doing things properly to make my job run smoothly. I also learned the scales and computer system to price packages of deli.
Pros
Giving out quality customer service makes your day go smoother with satisfied customers.
Cons
some customers are hard to please, days are harder when people call in sick
Great pay. Company works great with people
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Spencer, MAJuly 19, 2016
Price chopper is a wonderful place to work.
A typical day there wasn't to busy but it can pick up. It was always manageable and everyone was wiling to help another if need be.
The management was well informed of things, and always up to help if there was a problem, Always good to talk to if there was a issue and would help to fix the problem. Made the working experiences much more enjoyable.
Other associates are also great, a lot are cross trained in the departments so everyone has a knowledge of the store, to help anyone who might need it, not matter what they are looking for.
The only downside was the lack of available hours to work, but besides that, the job is amazing to work at and be apart of
Pros
Great communication among management and associates. enjoyable work environment
Cons
Lack of hours to work. very short breaks. Low pay
Fast , busy, department
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYMay 29, 2016
The deli and food court is hard work and very busy during lunch hours, holidays and in the summertime. It can be slow at times but is usually a fast paced job which makes your shifts fly by. My coworkers were fun to work with it's just that some times management expects you to preform miracles. Example : to do a special job that takes at least 5 hours to complete when you only work 4 and have all your regular daily duties to do.
Pros
good pay raise schedule
Cons
very fast and demanding position

Price Chopper Supermarkets Reviews by Location