Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Very Productive Company, Very Reliable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chenango Bridge, NYDecember 27, 2016
Typical day was prepping in the mornings for customers later on in the day, staying cleanly, getting orders to cook or make for customers to pick-up. Keeping stock full of our products always. Always being friendly towards guests and each other.
I learned how to order goods for the company, how to count and keep track of our inventory. Deep fry, grill, and steam all types of fish, lobster, and shellfish.
Management was always kind, always willing to put in the work to help you improve, and also willing to raise you into a higher position if you did your job well consistently.
The hardest part was ordering and inventory, because if we didn't order enough product customers would be angry, and if we had ordered too much a lot of it would get thrown out and cost us store money.
The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere of co-workers and management, every one tried their best to always get along and stay positive and motivated to better their own departments and the company as a whole. It was a competitive store within itself and between other stores as well.
Pros
Lunches, and breaks
Cons
The hours put it in on certain days.
I don't recommend for any other but part time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYNovember 23, 2016
I have been working at Price Chopper for a long time, I started out as a part time employee and worked my way up to management. Being a part timer the job was great, the work was hard work but it was relatively stress free as long as you showed up and did your job.

When I first started as management all was well. It was very stress free. Everything changed around February 2016, all of a sudden they refused to give out hours so all of our part time employees were cut to 25 hours a week, and on top of that no addition help was supplied to fill in for all of the hours we lost while at the same time the work load did not decrease.
Pros
its impossible to get fired
Cons
its impossible to fire people who cant carry their own weight, upper management is terrible and ignorant.
Understanding managers that work with employees
Customer Service Clerk and Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Greenbush, NYDecember 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working with Price Chopper Supermarkets. The management was very understanding and worked with their employees in regards to scheduling during school or appointments. While working at Price Chopper is gained a lot of customer service experience as well as cash handling experience. I learned ways to efficiently communicate to customers to resolve any issues or concerns. I quickly learned processes needed to perform the job. I was not satisfied with the ability to become full time and gain full time benefits including a higher compensation. Over all, I enjoyed working for Price Chopper.
Easy Bagging
bagger (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYSeptember 9, 2016
Day at work: clock in, find out what register you need to be at, go to the register assigned and bag customers groceries neatly and if customer needs help to car, help

Learned: how to bag properly

Management: always working with you and for you

Co-workers: always were nice to me and helped if i needed it, cashiers worked with me as a bagger

Hardest: standing for hours

Enjoyable: bagging was easy
Pros
alot of great benefits and plans, work advancement is quick, pay upped after 3 months, clean place
Cons
standing for hours and minimum wage
great highschool parttime job- not career
Customer Service Associate - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montrose, PADecember 5, 2016
i loved working at price chopper. i enjoyed communicating with the public. the downside to this job was that it didnt pay very well so its not a good career. also, the management that did the weekly scheduling did not follow the guidelines of anyone's availability and were constantly messing up the schedule and having to start over completely at the last minute after it had already been posted. and it was inconsistent. one week you would have 5 hours, the next week you could be working 30+ hours. so it wasnt reliable for any of the adult employees.
Customer comes first NO matter what
PRICING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2016
I started at price chopper as a product stocker and was promoted to pricing thanks to my skills in computers.

Any grocery chain thrives on getting the maximum out of the minimum but Price Chopper was particularly distinctive.

All staff were required to help with the registers so customers could buy and leave quickly. This often felt like an excuse to only have 1-3 cashiers on hand at any one point of the day. Management often became upset that your work wasn't finished for the day.

With roughly 20 aisles and no plan layout it became a memory game as to where less obvious products were and finding one at a customers request could take upwards of 15-20 minutes, it was a disorganized mess.

Since every branch (deli, produce, bakery, etc) were on such pressure to sell their product the work environment was very competitive.
Pros
Customer interaction, Easily accessed lunch, camaraderie within teams
Cons
unreasonable requests, frustrating work environment, competitive team leads.
Negative work environment
Kitchen maintenance/dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYOctober 10, 2016
- Always found something to do while others would slack off
- I learned even if the manage is not looking, hard work is the ultimate goal. Never take a minute off and never talk bad about your employer or other employees.
- I had many managers which made it confusing who to go to for a issue, sometimes they had different solutions, and they seem to not care very much about each worker
- My co-workers were not as motivated as me to do well. I firmly believe they did not take as much pride in their work as I did.
- The hardest part was working hard constantly and having nothing to show for it. They seldom gave raises or other incentives.
- I really enjoyed dealing with the customers. I began to form relationships with them as they saw me as very patient and attentive to detail. It meant a lot when a customer would specifically ask for me to help them.
Pros
Fair amount of break time
Cons
No discounts on food, no benefits, refused to make people full time
Good Company
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Raymore, MODecember 9, 2016
Good company to work for Advancement health benefit, vacation time off. Sick days for all employees. Management was good. You could talk to them they encouraged employees to be proactive with their future with the Company. The Company offered tuition refunds on job related education. As a family owned business it showed concern for the families of it's employees. They would ask about your family members. They wanted you to spend quality time with family. You would be considered for opening's at any branches should there be one in which you qualified for.
Pros
Good company
Great starter job
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13224November 23, 2016
Price Chopper is a great place to work to start off your job experiences. You have multiple placements with in Price Chopper where you can learn different skills. A typical day at work would be dealing with customers, good or bad. Co-workers usually get along well. The hardest part of the job could be the fast pace on the busiest days. The most enjoyable part would be meeting all different kinds of people and being able to interact with them daily.
Pros
Enviorment, Employees, Opportunities.
Cons
Short Breaks, Low pay raise
Unsatisfactory
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NY 13039July 11, 2016
-Extreme physical labor with minimal breaks
-Poorly managed company
-Been with this company 10+ years and they will not promote
-Management does not manage or care for their employees
-I manage my co workers but am not paid or treated different
-The physical labor and demands from management
-I love my customers
Pros
Is physical, so the days go by fast, I have great relationships with regular customers
Cons
management doesn't do their job, they refuse vacation time, breaks, and refuse promotions and raises
Great Company
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 12, 2017
Its grocery. Everyday is sporadic. I definitely learned perception is the key to everything. I also learned that hard work, whether it's noticed or unnoticed, is ALWAYS noticed in the end. Everyone I encountered was simply AMAZING. Management can be tough sometimes but that's because they want their team and everyone to excel in every aspect. The hardest part of the job was when the overnight cashier calls out and you have to stay as the supervisor after working an 8 hour shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built with my regular customers. Knowing that people would come in and ask specifically for you or even bring you dinner during your closing shift made the toughest situation worth every moment.
Fast , busy, department
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYMay 29, 2016
The deli and food court is hard work and very busy during lunch hours, holidays and in the summertime. It can be slow at times but is usually a fast paced job which makes your shifts fly by. My coworkers were fun to work with it's just that some times management expects you to preform miracles. Example : to do a special job that takes at least 5 hours to complete when you only work 4 and have all your regular daily duties to do.
Pros
good pay raise schedule
Cons
very fast and demanding position
Great Company
Assistant food service/Deli department Manager (Current Employee) –  newington ctAugust 1, 2016
Great company to work for .Management stands by you and supports you .Advancement in positions is encouraged transfers are also encouraged. Life balance and work is supported.
benefits
Cons
staffing
Very Productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTNovember 3, 2016
A typical day at PriceChopper was sometimes busy, mostly on the weekends. While I was there, I picked up more customer service skills by taking on new responsibilities like working overnights from 11pm until 7am, something that I had never done at any other position before. I also learned how to change sales signs on certain grocery items in the store by using the sales paper that came out every Saturday, we would go in teams of 2 people and work overnight until Sunday morning changing sale signs in order to reflect sales during that particular week. My co-workers were great supporters during my transition from days to nights. The hardest part of the job was going from working days to working nights. The most enjoyable part of the job was when management would sometimes ask me to assist in another department.
Pros
The lunch breaks and assisting and learning in different departments
Cons
Too short breaks, too little work hours.
Not as productive as it could be.
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTNovember 7, 2016
Some days at PriceChopper could go either way, it could be extremely busy or extremely not busy. The weekends were probably the best time to be there because of the great sales that went on then. I learned and gained some more Customer Service skills by taking on more responsibilities when asked. Management was great in asking me to assist in different departments, including working overnights from 11pm to 7pm and I was learning how each department functioned along the way. Co-workers were positive and gave great feedback! The hardest part of the job was keeping up with sales each week and the most enjoyable part of the job were the moving around and not being stuck in only one department.
Pros
Great lunch hours, the cameraderie between me and co-workers
Cons
healthcare, sales prices, and inventory
Productive and friendly workplace with events that allow use to get free luncheons
Cashier and Price Changer (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NY 13601December 5, 2016
I had been working for Price Chopper for a year and one month, and with that time period I grew very fund of the company and the people. From start to finish that place was like family to me. If I had the chance to go back I would. My management and supervisors always gave me the motivation and great jobs I deserve. Overall the Price Chopper Store made coming to work enjoyable and fun and all customers where treated nicely and well.
Pros
Luncheons to show appreciation to staff, worked with your availability, and free food when customer gave staff a six star rating.
Cons
Not enough hours
After new manager came in, alot of people, including myself, left.
Deli Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  33 Chenango Bridge RoadSeptember 16, 2016
Had an issue with one of my co-workers putting his hands on me. Told my manager about it, nothing was done. Went to HR about it and still nothing was done. Started getting treated poorly after that, so I left.
Pros
Loved the customers
Cons
No benefits or room for advancements.
Great Job for the Right Person
First Clerk Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NHJanuary 4, 2017
I happened to be in management, so there wasn't too much flexibility with time off, especially during the holidays, as I worked in a destination town, but for the most part I had a pretty steady schedule. When everyone works hard, the days go by quick. The hardest part of the job was the hours, as I was mainly scheduled nights and weekends, and as a mother of three kids, it was difficult to spend quality time with them. The best part of the job were the friendships I made while there, as we all worked really well as a team, even under the hardest of pressure.
Fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, NYSeptember 6, 2016
Working at Price Chopper introduced me to learning important customer service skills and how to work as a team in the workforce. The hardest part of my job was when I would be working very hard to spread a friendly customer service environment, when others would be texting or not greeting customers with a smile and complaining. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting customers who were visiting from all over the world and listening to their stories. Another enjoyable part of my job was when elderly people would tell me that I would make their day, and they would specifically come to my line for their check out process. That made me feel like I was doing my job the best I could, and customers were appreciative of my hard work as well.
Pros
worked great around my college schedule
Cons
Short breaks and no benefits
understaffed, not paid enough
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Platte City, MO 64079May 25, 2016
since the change of price chopper in late December to cosentinos the store has lost many employees. employees are expected to work many days without a day off compensation benefits are expensive. there is no room for advancement. management has gone down hill. the balance of work and home don't exist
Pros
no pros, employees are not appreciated
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Price Chopper Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Price Chopper Supermarkets Reviews by Location