Stressful and emotionally damaging work envirenmont.
Front End Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) – Lebanon, NH – December 17, 2015
Working at Price Chopper has been almost like a roller coaster where 75% of it is spent in Misery and the other 25% in contentment. I enjoy the customers most of all, though like and any store they aren't always so pleasant. However, the management and the overall atmosphere of the workplace ranges from appropriate and mild mannered to overly critical and almost cold a robotic, at some points entirely inappropriate and entirely rude. Personal experience includes employers having lack of knowledge of their own inner workings, including issues with paperwork and forms not being handed out at appropriate times. As well, having had money stolen from my locker roughly 7 months prier to this review and still having not been compensated after being "comforted" that I would have my money returned regardless. The company is cruel, The employers either don't care about peoples' needs or don't care about they're performance. Working here is for people who don't have any one at home to care for and are looking for drama. They claim to be a family company but there is no follow through in their actions that shows they have any regards for their employees.