Price Chopper Supermarkets

Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews

dirty workplace
Cashier/Seafood Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYFebruary 9, 2016
management was cruel. Co-workers were slow. hardest part of the job was nothing. Most enjoyable part was being alone in the seafood department.
Nice job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Taylor, PAFebruary 1, 2016
I've never had an issue with Price Chopper, It's been a steady job for me since I was only fifteen years old. I went from a cashier to a customer service employee.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Pay
Decent Place to work
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  New Windsor, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Apprehend shoplifters and complete supporting documentation, as necessary, in assigned stores.

Assist Zone Loss Prevention Supervisor in conducting and analyzing results of various store LPD audits.

Ensuring perimeter doors are closed, locked, sealed and alarmed where applicable; CCTV/DVR systems are operational and issues are attended to in a timely manner.

Assist in conducting investigations regarding associate theft and misconduct.

Interviewing individuals; taking written statements and submitting complete and accurate written reports while making recommendations for discipline and/or prosecution.
Pros
Freedom to move about.
Cons
Every Job has them.
Price Chopper didn't utilize my talents
Produce Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJanuary 18, 2016
Price Chopper was my least favorite job experience. My job duties included stocking fruits and vegetables onto the shelves and maintaining the cleanliness of my department. Many of my co-workers were considerably older than me and could not relate to a college student such as myself. The hardest part of the job was lifting extremely heavy items, while the most enjoyable part was making sure items on the shelves were placed neatly. The best thing I learned at Price Chopper was how to communicate with customers in a friendly and helpful way.
Pros
Discounted items
Cons
Minimum wage pay
Price Chopper.
Customer Service Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Gouverneur, NYJanuary 14, 2016
While I do Love my job and Love Price Chopper as a company, I am ready to explore more opportunities. It is a great company to work for, but very high stress. The corporation itself is going through a rebrand that's set to take 10 years to be in full effect and it seems as though everything is very chaotic. The turnover rate is very high and there is very little support from management at thee store or main office level.
It was a nice place to start
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 10, 2016
It can be very uneasy depending on the store manager some would appriecate the hard work and effort we put in our department and work while others constantly ignored accompliments and criticize
Pros
fleixable schedule, good co-workers
Cons
store managers the constantly ignored gains and made a toxic environment
First Job
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Oh, How I miss this job, Since it was my first job I can nothing bad about it. I just wish it was easier to stay on good turn with the store manager.
Stressful and emotionally damaging work envirenmont.
Front End Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHDecember 17, 2015
Working at Price Chopper has been almost like a roller coaster where 75% of it is spent in Misery and the other 25% in contentment. I enjoy the customers most of all, though like and any store they aren't always so pleasant. However, the management and the overall atmosphere of the workplace ranges from appropriate and mild mannered to overly critical and almost cold a robotic, at some points entirely inappropriate and entirely rude. Personal experience includes employers having lack of knowledge of their own inner workings, including issues with paperwork and forms not being handed out at appropriate times. As well, having had money stolen from my locker roughly 7 months prier to this review and still having not been compensated after being "comforted" that I would have my money returned regardless. The company is cruel, The employers either don't care about peoples' needs or don't care about they're performance. Working here is for people who don't have any one at home to care for and are looking for drama. They claim to be a family company but there is no follow through in their actions that shows they have any regards for their employees.
enjoyed working with team members
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oneida, NYDecember 16, 2015
Enjoyed fast paced work environment. Everyday was a little different. I enjoyed working as a team but also independently.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 14, 2015
My experience with price chopper was productive. I mostly enjoyed building relationship with customers. The management were efficient and hard working.
High paced grocery store with many expectations as a shift supervisor
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 12, 2015
A typically day there is very busy. What I learned was how to manage people, and handle customers. The hardest part of the job was working with unreliable employees. I really enjoyed interacting with the guests, many of who were regulars.
Great pay, dumb founded direction and management
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 1, 2015
As a former Night Manager in one of the PA stores, this company pays great management wise, but for their overnight stockers they treat them like dogs. When you know you don't have the right crew to get the job done, you push everybody to their limits,to try and succeed to get the work done. Many of the part timers are underpaid, while the managers cut down teammates and hours to make the Corporate Cash Cows happy.

I was a hard working Manager, while they treated me with utter disgust and my assistant as the next best thing.

They told me to either get fired or step down to part time. I left that place.
Productive with customer service and item stocking
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYNovember 8, 2015
A typical day at work was productive.
I learned to deal with customers, money, and items properly.
The management was strict but productive.
Co-workers were very nice and easy to get along with.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with nasty customers but it got easy for me as time passed.
Co-workers were the best part of the job because they helped me strive to do better.
Pros
position movement
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no benefits
Great Place to grow
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 7, 2015
Price chopper has been my life for the last 14 years. Growing company with plenty of growth. Long hours but it pays you well. 401K and benefits are top notch.
Pros
Excellent pay, Room for advancement
Cons
Long hours and weeks, Retail is retail.
Productive Work day
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, NYNovember 6, 2015
The management at this work place is very supportive. We always want to make the customer happy. Working alongside my colleagues and taking helpful tips from them is the most enjoyable part of my work day.
Pros
Works very well with school schedules
Cons
Short breaks, on your feet consantly
typical retail store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 1, 2015
Great after school job. The branch i worked at catered to high schools and allowed the legal amount of hours can work in a day and worked with school functions as well as any games for sports or clubs.
Pros
great for high school job
Cons
during summer didnt get much hours due to college kids comming home
Below average place to work with valuable lessons to be learned
Produce Teammate (Current Employee) –  Potsdam, NYAugust 1, 2015
A dying company trying to bite off more than they can chew against Wegman's. Very high demands for little pay and harsh corporate recommendations that lead to hostile work environment. Learned a lot about customer service and what to do and what not to do when it comes to management. So though I haven't enjoyed my time at Price Chopper and disagree with corporate and store wide managerial decisions, I have learned valuable life and people skills.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No Performance Based Pay, Poor management (store level and corporate), High demands with little pay
productive and friendly
Certified Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 31, 2015
Price Chopper has a wide diversity of people working within their store, so it is great to work with so many different cultures/ peoples from other countries/ethnic backgrounds. I learn how to incorporate our products to make the meals of employee's culture.
Good Start
Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 26, 2015
Price Chopper was a good starting company to learn about business. After a number of years I hit a ceiling as the company did not have much room for growth. Most Loss Professionals stay in position for nearly a lifetime inhibiting development and growth. I initially planned to work my entire career at PC as it is a great family owned business with values I believe in.
Bad Day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MaJune 25, 2015
Before even coming into work, you always a get a phone call about coming in early, When your there working management enforces you to be happy and clean and conservative. A clean environment is important but to pick up the piece of table stuck to the trash can is ridiculous. The employees are great, welcoming and helpful but management is too ahead of its self, to make a strong and working store the community within the store must be one as a family.
Pros
Cons
short lunches, Strict rules, no speaking to other employees