Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Understanding managers that work with employees
Customer Service Clerk and Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Greenbush, NYDecember 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working with Price Chopper Supermarkets. The management was very understanding and worked with their employees in regards to scheduling during school or appointments. While working at Price Chopper is gained a lot of customer service experience as well as cash handling experience. I learned ways to efficiently communicate to customers to resolve any issues or concerns. I quickly learned processes needed to perform the job. I was not satisfied with the ability to become full time and gain full time benefits including a higher compensation. Over all, I enjoyed working for Price Chopper.
Very Productive Company, Very Reliable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chenango Bridge, NYDecember 27, 2016
Typical day was prepping in the mornings for customers later on in the day, staying cleanly, getting orders to cook or make for customers to pick-up. Keeping stock full of our products always. Always being friendly towards guests and each other.
I learned how to order goods for the company, how to count and keep track of our inventory. Deep fry, grill, and steam all types of fish, lobster, and shellfish.
Management was always kind, always willing to put in the work to help you improve, and also willing to raise you into a higher position if you did your job well consistently.
The hardest part was ordering and inventory, because if we didn't order enough product customers would be angry, and if we had ordered too much a lot of it would get thrown out and cost us store money.
The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere of co-workers and management, every one tried their best to always get along and stay positive and motivated to better their own departments and the company as a whole. It was a competitive store within itself and between other stores as well.
Pros
Lunches, and breaks
Cons
The hours put it in on certain days.
Negative work environment
Kitchen maintenance/dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYOctober 10, 2016
- Always found something to do while others would slack off
- I learned even if the manage is not looking, hard work is the ultimate goal. Never take a minute off and never talk bad about your employer or other employees.
- I had many managers which made it confusing who to go to for a issue, sometimes they had different solutions, and they seem to not care very much about each worker
- My co-workers were not as motivated as me to do well. I firmly believe they did not take as much pride in their work as I did.
- The hardest part was working hard constantly and having nothing to show for it. They seldom gave raises or other incentives.
- I really enjoyed dealing with the customers. I began to form relationships with them as they saw me as very patient and attentive to detail. It meant a lot when a customer would specifically ask for me to help them.
Pros
Fair amount of break time
Cons
No discounts on food, no benefits, refused to make people full time
Great starter job
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13224November 23, 2016
Price Chopper is a great place to work to start off your job experiences. You have multiple placements with in Price Chopper where you can learn different skills. A typical day at work would be dealing with customers, good or bad. Co-workers usually get along well. The hardest part of the job could be the fast pace on the busiest days. The most enjoyable part would be meeting all different kinds of people and being able to interact with them daily.
Pros
Enviorment, Employees, Opportunities.
Cons
Short Breaks, Low pay raise
Fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, NYSeptember 6, 2016
Working at Price Chopper introduced me to learning important customer service skills and how to work as a team in the workforce. The hardest part of my job was when I would be working very hard to spread a friendly customer service environment, when others would be texting or not greeting customers with a smile and complaining. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting customers who were visiting from all over the world and listening to their stories. Another enjoyable part of my job was when elderly people would tell me that I would make their day, and they would specifically come to my line for their check out process. That made me feel like I was doing my job the best I could, and customers were appreciative of my hard work as well.
Pros
worked great around my college schedule
Cons
Short breaks and no benefits
Easy Bagging
bagger (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYSeptember 9, 2016
Day at work: clock in, find out what register you need to be at, go to the register assigned and bag customers groceries neatly and if customer needs help to car, help

Learned: how to bag properly

Management: always working with you and for you

Co-workers: always were nice to me and helped if i needed it, cashiers worked with me as a bagger

Hardest: standing for hours

Enjoyable: bagging was easy
Pros
alot of great benefits and plans, work advancement is quick, pay upped after 3 months, clean place
Cons
standing for hours and minimum wage
OK job. definitely not fun, but it pays the bills
Night Crew Stocker (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 21, 2017
job always seemed to be pretty secure. I did not have to fear layoffs, just cutbacks in hours. Benefits are pretty good. It did what i needed it to do. It paid my bills. I don't go to work to have fun.
Pros
job security and benefits
Cons
cutbacks in hours and fewer people to get the job done.
Unsatisfactory
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NY 13039July 11, 2016
-Extreme physical labor with minimal breaks
-Poorly managed company
-Been with this company 10+ years and they will not promote
-Management does not manage or care for their employees
-I manage my co workers but am not paid or treated different
-The physical labor and demands from management
-I love my customers
Pros
Is physical, so the days go by fast, I have great relationships with regular customers
Cons
management doesn't do their job, they refuse vacation time, breaks, and refuse promotions and raises
After new manager came in, alot of people, including myself, left.
Deli Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  33 Chenango Bridge RoadSeptember 16, 2016
Had an issue with one of my co-workers putting his hands on me. Told my manager about it, nothing was done. Went to HR about it and still nothing was done. Started getting treated poorly after that, so I left.
Pros
Loved the customers
Cons
No benefits or room for advancements.
Fast , busy, department
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYMay 29, 2016
The deli and food court is hard work and very busy during lunch hours, holidays and in the summertime. It can be slow at times but is usually a fast paced job which makes your shifts fly by. My coworkers were fun to work with it's just that some times management expects you to preform miracles. Example : to do a special job that takes at least 5 hours to complete when you only work 4 and have all your regular daily duties to do.
Pros
good pay raise schedule
Cons
very fast and demanding position
great highschool parttime job- not career
Customer Service Associate - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montrose, PADecember 5, 2016
i loved working at price chopper. i enjoyed communicating with the public. the downside to this job was that it didnt pay very well so its not a good career. also, the management that did the weekly scheduling did not follow the guidelines of anyone's availability and were constantly messing up the schedule and having to start over completely at the last minute after it had already been posted. and it was inconsistent. one week you would have 5 hours, the next week you could be working 30+ hours. so it wasnt reliable for any of the adult employees.
I don't recommend for any other but part time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYNovember 23, 2016
I have been working at Price Chopper for a long time, I started out as a part time employee and worked my way up to management. Being a part timer the job was great, the work was hard work but it was relatively stress free as long as you showed up and did your job.

When I first started as management all was well. It was very stress free. Everything changed around February 2016, all of a sudden they refused to give out hours so all of our part time employees were cut to 25 hours a week, and on top of that no addition help was supplied to fill in for all of the hours we lost while at the same time the work load did not decrease.
Pros
its impossible to get fired
Cons
its impossible to fire people who cant carry their own weight, upper management is terrible and ignorant.
Great Company
Assistant food service/Deli department Manager (Current Employee) –  newington ctAugust 1, 2016
Great company to work for .Management stands by you and supports you .Advancement in positions is encouraged transfers are also encouraged. Life balance and work is supported.
benefits
Cons
staffing
Fun work place
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 17, 2017
Better hours would be nice and more benefits overall its a good company to work for. I enjoy it. And hope to spend more time there
Food court/deli
Deli/Food service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, NYSeptember 23, 2016
Pay is the worst. ..
I loved the busy multi tasking. Time flies
Love the importance of customer service.
Nice people for the most part.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Salary
understaffed, not paid enough
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Platte City, MO 64079May 25, 2016
since the change of price chopper in late December to cosentinos the store has lost many employees. employees are expected to work many days without a day off compensation benefits are expensive. there is no room for advancement. management has gone down hill. the balance of work and home don't exist
Pros
no pros, employees are not appreciated
Cons
everything
Limited growth
Receiving manager (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJune 7, 2016
Little to non-existent leadership. Experienced help left alone, as they "knew what to do" with no guidance. Satisfactory pay and benefits if you were full time. Antiquated store rules of financial store operations. Tons of shrinkage, due to outdated product that did not sell. Recvoomnded to sell at a reduced price before outdate, but company refused to. Would prefer to throw it away rather than get omething for it. Directors worked "banker's hours."
Good Company
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Raymore, MODecember 9, 2016
Good company to work for Advancement health benefit, vacation time off. Sick days for all employees. Management was good. You could talk to them they encouraged employees to be proactive with their future with the Company. The Company offered tuition refunds on job related education. As a family owned business it showed concern for the families of it's employees. They would ask about your family members. They wanted you to spend quality time with family. You would be considered for opening's at any branches should there be one in which you qualified for.
Pros
Good company
Cons
If you are starving work here
cashier and bagger (Current Employee) –  Queensbury, NYFebruary 16, 2016
The associates were nice to work with but management is not competent at all. Training is bare minimum and you have to learn your job mostly through experience since management does not know much about the jobs themselves. You get raises every six months to one year which are minimal and do nothing but decrease your hours given to you over the course of time so you will actually make less if you are there longer overall. The work is generally simple minded but there is a lot of work to do. If you are a good worker you are more likely to be reprimanded to do even more than you already do because management does not spend time getting on those who are lazy as they already know they will not do more.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low paychecks, used on an as needed peak time basis
long hours no benefits horrible management
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Granville, NYMarch 16, 2016
It starts out exciting and fun everyone is nice to you at first.
Then after a while it's the same thing over and over, then they decide to add more for you to do. and expect a 72 hours worth of work crammed in one night each day of the week between 10pm and 6 am if you forget to punch out for anything they dock pay. gave us 40 hours a week and said no benefits because your official titles will be part timers still. (feel like that isn't legal..) okay job for kids I got out quick not something I would make a career of.
Pros
paid 15 minute break, co workers were the greatest
Cons
everything explained in the review

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Price Chopper Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.