Price Chopper Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Not the best place to work, thought it would be better than it turned out to be
Deli (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 5, 2018
Used to be like a big family, had great co workers, fun and enjoyable work environment. used to stay over our shift time to help out when asked to and loved being there. New management took over and people started dropping like flies. people crying before their shift because they didn't like the work environment any more. never having the supplies we need to do the job correctly every day. Not enough staff to cover all the areas that need covered because everyone quit suddenly. Very stressful being so short on staff and one person running several stations. Main management will give you a very hard time if you call in because your sick or have family issues.
You can get insurance only if you are full time. You must have open availability to get full time so must be able to work days and nights. often schedualled to close and then open next day. insurance is very high and not really worth it.
Pros
Employee Meal $6, the store is very nice looking and set up well, price chopper card gets you discounts
Cool co-workers, inconsistent hours (first come, first serve)
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 5, 2018
overall not a terrible working experience, it just seems like nobody knows for sure what's going on. On top of that hours are very inconsistent and i feel myself fighting for hours on a weekly basis despite working for the company since the age of 16 and I'm now 21. (I also have not received a raise, and have moved from cashier to Customer Service)
Pros
Cool co-workers
Cons
You're just another number
was a good entry job that taught me how to get used to working
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJanuary 4, 2018
This was my first job so it obviously wasn't going to be my favorite or the one that I would like to have for the rest of my life but I will say it did teach me and prepare me to get ready for some more serious jobs and gave me that kickstart a kid needs to get into the work force.
Pros
set time of working
Cons
no benefits at all
great employees. poor management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 3, 2018
I loved working for price chopper. I worked long hard hours and enjoyed my fellow employees. I did not care for the treatment I received from the store manager.
Depends on where you work...
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Slingerlands, NYJanuary 1, 2018
Hours kinda sucked, I only received 6 hours a week. I asked to get more hours in a different department (talked to HR) and it never happened. Management was kinda rude and didn't want much to do with anyone unless they were giving instructions on what to do. Other employees were awesome, very friendly.
Pros
Depends on what department you work in
Cons
Hours, Lack of Advancement
was a great company
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTDecember 31, 2017
with them laying off people left and right the bennifits used to be great now it relies on part timers with no benefits and no hours classic case of a once great store
Been Years
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYDecember 30, 2017
I haven't worked there in over 3 years. When I was there the management was fair. There were some people that you liked and some that you didn't. Although, the biggest complaint I remember having is during the summer the ac was broken and they only provided me with a long sleeve shirt and claimed they had no short sleeve shirts. Even though all the new hires had short sleeve shirts. I had to constantly fight them about it and still never got my short sleeve shirt.
Flexible hours with no room for advancement
Cashier/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYDecember 29, 2017
A typical work day includes clocking in and attending your register for 1-2 hours before being put on break at a time that is convenient for the store and not for the employees. Coming back from break, a cashier would work another 3-4 hours before clocking out and going home. Customers in retail are always rude, which doesn't reflect on the company, but handling the customers who are rude can be incredibly stressful when employees aren't educated on proper policies. Coupon and sale policies can be confusing which leads to a cashier looking like they don't know what they are talking about. If you advance to a position, such as cash office or supervising, you are paid minimum wage to have more responsibility and given about 3 days of training.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Loved working at price chopper
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYDecember 27, 2017
Loved working at price chopper, had to relocate. Also no benefits so needed to move on. They also only offer part time and minimal hours unless you constantly sign up, but even then, it’s not guaranteed
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, flexible hours
Cons
No health care really.
GM/ HBC MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYDecember 27, 2017
Enjoyed working in a fast paced environment. Management training is her informative. Need to have more available hours per department to have more associated.
Enjoyed working during school
Sacker/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MODecember 27, 2017
I was able to obtain skills needed for future employment. The training received was outstanding and my co-workers were great to work with. I enjoyed my time employed at Price Chopper.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Part-time
Great place to start working.
Cashier/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Mechanicville, NYDecember 26, 2017
Price Chopper is a great starter job, although quite obviously I would not recommend anything more than it being a starter job. The hours are kind of flexible with you being able to select your availability but after that they can schedule you sporadically within the times you gave to them. No room for growth at the beginner level which isn't unexpected. That being said I would only recommend for just starting off.
Great people to work with, terrible managment
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYDecember 21, 2017
A typical day of work involved running a cash register and maintaining a professional work environment. Management was poor and did not recognize effort to do an excellent job. I learned that I can count backwards and make change very well. I also learned that people appreciate it when you make an effort to do your job well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the poor management. The workplace culture was fantastic, I loved working with the people that I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to interact with coworkers and guests at the store.
Don't Work Here
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Richfield Springs, NYDecember 21, 2017
I've worked here for a year, and have hated every day since my first month. All the people who worked in my department when I started have quit, and I've seen a constant rehiring of teammates since. No one lasts long. If it wasn't for the close proximity to home and a flexible schedule, I would be long gone. Sticking it out until a better opportunity presents itself. At times, you're running like a chicken with your head cut off and fast isn't fast enough. And others a snail could pass you and look like it was going 100 mph. Extremely repetitive job, under paid for the amount of work you're expected to do. I personally work as hard as the store manager and get 9.70/hr when minimum is supposed to be $10.70. They hire anyone with two arms and legs, and skip the background checks during the hiring process. I'm often the backbone of my department and if I'm not there it's a wreck. Company will go belly up in 2-5 years no doubt.
Pros
Flexible hours(if they give you any)
Cons
Bad pay, minimum wage for maximum effort
seafood specialist
Seafood Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYDecember 20, 2017
i would close the seafood department every day i worked and my duties included pulling tomorrows big orders as well as cooking all of the fish so be sold pre cooked the next day as well as wait on customers who wanted to order fish and basic customer service
Pros
i learned alot about food saftey
Cons
the smell of the seafood department is terrible
Horrible place to work
Team member (Current Employee) –  Oxford, CTDecember 17, 2017
A really awful place to work. They give me the just enough hours but only enough so i am not considered full time and cannot get insurance. The store manager is a jerk and a multitude of managers have quit left or walked out in the short time because hes such a jerk. My manager is the worst ive had very unprofessional who has temper tantrums. Dumb
rules like not being able to put a knife down or facing every lable the same way.. Its a waste of time and pathetic that they put such emphasis on something so pointless. Most people who work here are miserable or just jerks.
My assistant manager is about the only one whos cool
Pros
Cons
Read above
enjoy
wearhouse worker (Current Employee) –  Guilderland, NYDecember 16, 2017
enjoyed learning how to drive a pallet jack, co workers were nice to work with. sometimes we got to leave early which is nice. weekends off and worked the sames times all the time
Deli Teammate
Delli Teammate (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, NYDecember 15, 2017
My manager was fantastic, hers was not. The customers are always upset at the prices. Its easy work, but EXTREAMLY repetitive. Working between refrigerators isn't very fun either
I like it
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYDecember 15, 2017
Good work environment and wonderful people. Good training I enjoyed my time I had I'm jus kinda of upset with certain employees that hire. Sometimes they jus want the money not to come do the job
Good temporary job
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Independence, MODecember 14, 2017
It's a good stepping stone job. They have a fairly high turnover, but there are also people who have been there for years and are going to retire soon.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Price Chopper Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.