PRINCE GEORGE'S COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Office Associate (Part-Time) (Current Employee), Largo, MDJuly 27, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workiers
Cons: would like to work more hours
- A typical day would be filing and answering phones.
- Assisting veterans with questions about the college enrollment process.
- Assist the veteran with basic skills to help to complete the high school equivalency program.
- Assist with applying for financial aid.

I have learned a lot about veterans benefits.

I am able to participate in some of the fun activities on campus.
Calm and productive work environment
Data Center Operator (Current Employee), Largo, MDJune 27, 2015
Pros: Family environment, Not Fast Paced.
Depending on what department you are working in, decides how a typical day at work will be. In the IT department, its unpredictable. I have learned a lot over the years of being here. The jobs are steady, and in my opinion its not somewhere to work if you are young and ambitious in your field, but its a stepping stone. A lot of employees are retired government and they work here because its comfortable. The people are great. Its like a family environment. Nothing is really hard about this job, as long as you keep focused and stay on top of your task.
Customer Service Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Largo, MDJune 16, 2015
It taught me how to grow in different difficult situation(s). Especially when it come to working with different environment of people.
A well organized and professional environment.
Director of Student Support Services (Former Employee), Largo, MDMay 9, 2015
Pros: Enthusiastic staff and administration
Cons: None
A typical day included reviewing and responding to emails and telephone messages, prioritizing administrative and other routine daily tasks, on-and off-campus meetings, managing program budgets, documenting student data, and trouble shooting staff and student issues. I experienced a great deal of growth in multitasking in a fast-paced institutional environment. A priority for administration was best practices in a constantly evolving, culturally diverse student body and staff. Co-workers were cooperative and responsive in sharing ideas and materials in both formal and informal gatherings. The most challenging part of the job was maintaining regular attendance among adults who had to cope with many personal challenges outside the educational setting. The most rewarding part of the job was the opportunity to be a part of the students' personal successes and academic achievements.
Great Benefits
Former Employee (Former Employee), Office of FinanceApril 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Executive Team
Executive Team is not Competent.
Turn over is High, and a lot of favoritism.
Human Resources is NOT Pro- employees ,
Please join the Union.
good
Adjunct Professor of English (Current Employee), Upper Marlboro, MDMarch 31, 2015
I draw energy from interacting with more people. So the most enjoyable part of my job is the many students I meet and teach. Some come each day looking confident. I wish they were not few. I wish they were like two-thirds of each class I teach. But that is not the case. Most of them come looking as if they were virtually dragged into the classroom. This moment or that moment we're about to discuss an essay assigned during the last class.

"What's the page, again?"

Some classmate whispers the number. "Thanks."

For others without books, they sit quiet as if they were not the ones being spoken to. Just close by they obviously see others with books. No urge to ask for sharing a book.

"What are you doing? Can't you ask for sharing of a book?"

Some do oblige. Some remain where they are, sometimes with the audacity of simply concentrating on an IPod.

And they have rights. No one dares abuse those rights!
Dynamic and fun environment, very flexible.
ESL Teacher ( Faculty Member) (Current Employee), Hyattsville, MDMarch 12, 2015
Pros: supportive environment
Cons: snow days, we sometimes have a lot of snow days where we lose a lot of valuable classroom time.
With this Transitional ESL program there has been a lot of dynamic growth on all sides. I enjoy my students foremost of all. We have a great exchange of ideas and I can readily see improvement in their Reading ,Writing and Speaking ability.

My colleagues have been wonderfully supportive and the support staff are very friendly. It has been a very enriching and rewarding experience.

They also extend workshops to their staff that are helpful.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes understanding the students through their sometimes thick accent. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the students and learning about their countries and their various cultures.
Great Place to work
Instructor Labor Relations (Current Employee), Largo, MDJanuary 27, 2015
Great work life balance position. I enjoy HR and this gives me an opportunity to share my experience and get fresh new ideas.
Productive and fun place to work
Oracle DBA (Former Employee), Largo, MDJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: group lunch on fridays
My daily activities are into database administration. I learned a lot about new database architectural skills. My co-workers are fine and good people. My hardest part of my job is multitasking. The most enjoying part of the job is team work.
Very friendly and warm environment
Work Study (Former Employee), Theatre DepartmentJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: cohorts were willing to help one another succeed
Working at Prince George's Community College has been a rewarding experience. My coworkers were very friendly and professional. A positive work environment was always kept a priority. My supervisor provided me the training I needed to succeed as an assistant.
Productive workplace with a challenge and innovation
HELP DESK (Former Employee), largo, MDJanuary 6, 2015
The environment for work is very accommodate and enthusiastic. People are more focus in the goal to meet than anything else. The willing to be the best make the employee to focus more on what they are there for.
co-workers
Computer Technician (Current Employee), Lanham, MDNovember 14, 2014
my co-workers are like a second family. I enjoy working for this company
I enjoyed learning all about Financial Aid.
Coordinator (Former Employee), Largo, MDOctober 29, 2014
Pros: winter breaks and spring breaks, reasonable health plans
I started off as the receptionist at the college and after two years I applied for the Loan Specialist position and got it. I stayed in that position for four years and then I applied for the Loan Coordinator position and I got that position as well. I enjoyed learning all the ends and out about financial aid. It was exciting to help students and parents understand how financial aid works. I enjoyed being off for two weeks for winter breaks. I was responsible for processing loan applications, reconciling the student loan accounts weekly, assist with the verification of files by making sure students turned in the correct paperwork in order for us to complete the file and award the funds they were eligible for.
GREAT PART-TIME JOB
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Largo, MDOctober 9, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Administrative staff is extremely helpful to the instructors to ensure they have everything they need to be successful.
Fun and a constant learning experience environment
Office Associate II (Current Employee), Largo, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: free courses to take at either low or no cost.
Cons: because this is a part time job, i don't get any benefits, sick or vacation leave and holiday pay.
A typical day in my office consist of scheduling meetings, conducting research for our department, updating our budget, create requisitions, general office duties (faxing, filing, photocopying, answering multi-line telephones, prepares and receive incoming and outgoing mail, etc.) pull student transcripts, order lunch for meetings and interact with students daily :-)
productive
Math Tutor (Former Employee), MDAugust 5, 2014
Its a great environment and i have learnt how to work under pressure. The management of this department was good and the hardest is when you're working alone with alot of student at once. The most enjoyable part is speaking the language of maths.
Productive and educational workplace with many opportunities for advancement
Student Assistant to the Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee), Largo, MDJuly 28, 2014
Pros: learning something new everyday, meeting new people
Cons: no benefits
My day consists of: Answering phones, talking to students via email, taking small inventory in my manager's office, making several copies, setting up events, various administrative duties etc. Since being on my job I've learned to be a better communicator, to be more involved with my superiors and overall great qualities to add to my profession. As far as my co-workers everyone is open to learn new things and willing to teach when need be and overall team players, the most enjoyable part of my job is the friendly work environment I encounter every morning.
Dealing with the public
Office Associate III (Current Employee), Laurel, MDJuly 15, 2014
PGCC provided excellent benefits for their part-time employees. A good environment to grow and learn job skills.
Goal oriented workplace
Coordinator (Current Employee), Largo MDMarch 28, 2014
Working towards a new strategic Plan to incorporate a diverse culture welcoming environment.
Five year one time grant
Executive Director (Current Employee), Largo, MDMarch 10, 2014
Pros: great location
Cons: parking on a college campus
Program is ending on June 30, 2014. We accomplished the goals and objectives set and are shutting down the operation.