PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Acceptable place to work
Professional School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day is high pace, and the need for flexibility and great management skills; love my co-workers, and have an open collaboration and team work rapport with them; the hardiest part of the job is being able to get everything done within 7.5 hours; The most enjoyable part of the job are the interactions with the children, communicating with co-workers.
Pros
Being a part of a child's education
Cons
Short lunch breaks
n/a
sped aide (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 15, 2016
terrible place,warehousing students,can not handle population. They will take the word of the student before the teacher if something happens.
always oncall and on the go
Building Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 8, 2016
A very vigorous work day from start to finish .really enjoy the fast pace enjoy work with staff and being needed love helping people and giving and clean safe work place
Not all it's cracked up to be
BUS ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDJanuary 7, 2016
Some of the kids can be a joy. But you are bound to come across some you want to put across your knee, put your hands on, or put in some kind of jail. Then they put incompetent people in office positions, so you have to figure out which person actually knows what they are talking about. Which mean you can get the run around.
Pros
long break between shift to get things done.
Cons
you pay yourself for their holidays. When your permanent you see about half of your paycheck.
Large company to work for
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDJanuary 2, 2016
Public School System was a good learning environment for the children and the school board offered appropriate trainings for the Teachers and staff.
Pros
Accessible
Cons
Slow to respond to situations
Can be challenging. Great benefits and a family friendly job. Its a good job for a person thats in school. Cons most hours are 6.5 in a school kitchen
FOOD SERVICE WORKER PGCPS (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 1, 2016
Assisting customers with food selection.
Handling cash.
cleaning stove tops, sinks, and dishes.
sweeping floors.
preparing foods for the work day
cooking food to the right temperature
Great Learning Environment
Secretary II/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDNovember 22, 2015
Working for the Public School system has enabled me to learn more about society and how to interact with people on a day to day basis. I have to constantly be willing and able to help and learn and always have a positive outlook and attitude. Also you must always be a team player and be willing to go above and beyond t make sure that students and parents are learning and happy.
Pros
great benefits, holidays, vacation time
Cons
deadlines and shutdowns
Depressing work place!!
driver (Former Employee) –  Issc building/WarehouseNovember 15, 2015
Has alot of family members working in the same department. Very poor management starting from the director down to the warehouse manager.Unfair hiring practices will hire an unqualified person just because of who they know.If u can deal with favoritism and nepotism than you can work here.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Alot of family/Nepotism/ Favoritism
the most enjoyable part of the job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part of being a teacher is when you can see the fruit of your labor in the progression of the children you have had the opportunity to teach.
Pros
Working 10 month a year
Cons
stress
Typical day at work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 12, 2015
Overall pay was low considering the amount of work that needs to be done as a principals secretary. Also, you go above and beyond with no recognition.
Pros
Breaks, holidays
Cons
Pay
Principal for 25 years!
Principal (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDNovember 11, 2015
Loved my work in all facets of the education forum! Began as a student in the 50's, finished as a Principal in 2009! Was able to continue my work for students and staff when employed by New Leaders. Great place to work! Many opportunities!
Pros
longevity, training
Cons
Never able to do enough !
The kids is why I showed up to work.
Paraprofessional (Dedicated Aide) (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill High SchoolOctober 13, 2015
The students were amazing and respected me. Typical day consisted of me working one on one with a special needs student. Other students in the classroom would ask for help even though I wasn't allowed to help them. Co-workers were helpful and some were just too nosy and harassing.
Pros
Helping a student in need, Weekends off
Cons
restricted from helping children in need, no support for temporary workers, no benefits
I worked with middle school and high school students. I learned management skills with academically challenged students including how to make the
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, Brandywine, Hyattsville MarylandOctober 9, 2015
I worked with academically challenged students in Prince George's Public Schools, which I thoroughly enjoyed . The mainstream students were more challenging.
Subsitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 29, 2015
I really enjoyed being employee of PGCPS and I'm excited and hopeful for my return it's a great place to work for .Just like any job it has it's up and downs , But when I see my students that have gone on to College and have Careers it does my heart well. It's all worth it.
Pros
Helping children, meeting people, growing .
Cons
It can be thankless.
Simple but complicated workplace
Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 22, 2015
It is a very rewarding thing to work for the Prince Georges County Public School System when working under the right leadership. I can genuinely say that what I do does not do any justice as to what I am capable of but, when I ask for more responsibility it is met with a negative response. It is frustrating to work in an atmosphere where the color of your skin sets the tone on how well you will succeed. As a college graduate it is discouraging to observe people who don't have the skills I have, stuggle to do the work that I not only can do but, have done with ease.
Pros
great health, vision, and dental benefits.
Cons
poor managment, terrible work environment
Teaching in PGCPS
Science Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDSeptember 17, 2015
I learned a lot about myself and my colleagues teaching in PGCPS. I loved seeing the students get excited about new information and have hands on experiences. The most draining part for myself and students was the deluge of standardized tests required.
Great Organization that cares for it's employees
Human Resources Partner (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 14, 2015
Energetic and supportive management.
The company believes in professional development and providing opportunities for staff to grow.
An employee needs to be prepared to work in a fast-paste environment and work as a team.
The best part of the job is the satisfaction you get from knowing you are impacting the lives of children.
Pros
You receive a lot of time off
Cons
Limited time off during the summer
Public School System
Special Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  High SchoolSeptember 13, 2015
Each school is different as is every experience. Lacks vision in direction of global education. Salaries less than other surrounding districts.
Pros
Work Schedule
Cons
Salaries and Long term structure
You really have to love kids
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  MDAugust 9, 2015
While this was a full-time job, I had no intention of stating there. It was none-the-less a wonderful experience which called for patience and creativity.
Fun working with the children
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 5, 2015
There was something unexpected on a daily basis. It was fun and exciting to work with the children. I was the coordinator of the program so I tried to make it fair for my staff. The hardest part of the job was getting the parent's on board with working with the problem children.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Dealing with the problem children and their parents