Prince George's County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Pgcps
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDDecember 6, 2017
Wonderful Place; awesome work environment. Excellent benefits. Staff get the winter break and other paid holidays. Try them out and see what they can do for you!
Excellent Place to Learn
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bladensburg, MDNovember 28, 2017
PGCPS is an excellent place to learn and become a stronger teacher. I have taught in a classroom, a temporary, and a cart. All of which have their advantages and disadvantages. There is a strong sense of community and fairness when it comes to work and accountability.
Pros
Warm and inviting culture
Cons
can't think of any
Good place to work.
Registrar / Guidance Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDNovember 27, 2017
Rewarding and fast working pace. Always very busy helping families sometimes in very difficult situations. I also enjoy working with the many different staff .
I wish the school system cared more
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 16, 2017
The education system is caught up in some serious management issues. I met a lot of principals who did not carry the weight of the job with solutions yet promoted the problems. We need more solutions driven managers and directors.
Pros
helping students
Cons
special education students in main stream class rooms
Productive and fulfilling work environment.
Program Director (Commandant) (Former Employee) –  Forestville, MDNovember 16, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a staff that cared about the students. I've seen schools where adults taught because they needed a job, but that was not the case at the FHS. The teachers and staff came to work each day with one goal in mind and that was to ensure each student was enriched with knowledge and was college or career ready upon graduating.
Pros
Working with a professional and caring staff that always had the interest of the students in mind.
Cons
Students that took their education for granted.
Not a good fit
Director of Human Resources Operations & Staffing (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 9, 2017
Prince George's County Public Schools was not a good fit, professionally. The culture was cutthroat and unorganized. The leadership was not interested in change or innovation.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Not very professional
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDNovember 3, 2017
Unfortunately the academic system in this county is riddled with preferential treatment, gossip and lack of professionalism. My experience was difficult and stressful. Even after quitting the system, the aftermath of the issues the county faced are still present. The best part of my teaching experience was, and is, the students. They do make the work there somewhat bearable.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Lack of professionalism and much favoritism
Limited Resources
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 1, 2017
Working for PG Schools is ok, it has it's pluses and minuses. The opportunities for growth are limited and the resources or not as adequate as I'd like. I believe the educators are dedicated however, there are high incidences of teacher burnout, which can be very discouraging.
Great Place to Work
Transition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDNovember 1, 2017
Prince George's County Public Schools is a great place to work. The high school that I was assigned to is one of the largest high schools in the county and has a diverse population. Various educational programs are needed in the county and this comprehensive high school housed many of them.
Fair place to work
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 17, 2017
The work hours are great, especially in elementary and high school. The County offers a great benefits package. Pay is not that great. Can be a very stressful environment at times.
Benefits
Cons
Low salary
PG experiance
Special Education Assistant/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 10, 2017
Depends on who you are working with.
It can be a good or bad experience.
Pay is not good at all for the amount of work done.
Just if you are in it to make a difference in kids life you can there.
Allowing children/ precious cargo to be transported in a safe manner
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 3, 2017
I had to be at my first stop by 5:45 am, It was a pleasure transporting children to and from School in a safe manner. Getting to like and know each need of every child.
Pros
The health benefits
Cons
Unruly children
No child left behind
Itinerant special Education Assistant (ISEA) (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDOctober 3, 2017
Greeting kids in the morning with a smile on there face just starts the day. Muti-tasking for morning to afternoon would be the hardest time of the day . keeping my kids on task would be the most exciting time of my evening . A typical day consents of hard work and team work .
Rewarding
Peer Mediation/Character Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDOctober 3, 2017
I truly enjoyed this position as I was given all I was needed to excel. Building this program for the school district was rewarding because I was helping students build a positive environment for learning, as well as getting them to understand they can get through any issue without resulting to violence. I had a hand in building a culture in each school that the students, faculty and staff could feel safe.
Pros
All aspects were great.
Cons
I could have used more staff.
Still good public school system despite poor press
Educator (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDSeptember 30, 2017
Many positive initiatives system-wide. Some buildings were in very poor shape. Some dedicated and eager education professionals, with a number of tenured workers with substandard attitudes.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Some schools in very poor structural shape
Rewarding but lacking in focused and dedicated administrators
Autism Specialist (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 26, 2017
The students make teaching in PG County rewarding, but poor school leadership has created a culture of fear and ever-oppressive demands impact teacher morale.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
Poor school administration
Good culture, but stressful
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDSeptember 26, 2017
An engaging workplace culture, but a stressful position. The benefits PGCPS provides to employees are great. Many, many options for you and your family.
Pros
Engaging, fun, benefits
Cons
Regulated, stressful
the most enjoyable part of the job
Reading Intervention Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MD 20772September 26, 2017
being in the the classroom with the students and helping them learn everyday. i get to go to every grade an help children with their learning disabilities
OK please to work
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 22, 2017
It's an Ok place to work, but if you don't have any training before you get there you're in trouble. The staff hasn't received any pay increases in a few years so when it comes to advancement they are cutthroat.
Pros
Better than average play to be
Cons
School system is always in termoil
Not for Everybody
Nutrition Manager (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 21, 2017
This job in my opinion is only for retired people looking for something else to do but sit home. It has the potential to be fast paced and stressful if you are in the management position. The job does have excellent benefits and time off in the summer.
Pros
Off during the summer
Cons
Poor job advancement