Prince George's County Public Schools Employee Reviews

STAY AWAY! The pay is NOT worth the headaches!
Special Education Instructor, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Walker Mill Middle School, PGCPS, MDDecember 26, 2016
Extremely stressful managing large classroom sizes (43-48) Middle School students. ALL ability levels ranging from Gifted and Talented - Special Education crammed into small classrooms. Non-compliant with Special Education Federal COMAR Regulation. Lack of support from admin and parents. By far the most disrespectful, unmotivated students I ever taught. NO behavior management systems in place to support teachers. Students receive NO consequences for inappropriate behaviors. I would certainly NOT send my own children to PGCPS
Pros
good benefits
Cons
I would NOT send my own children to PGCPS. SEE COMPLETE REVIEW
Difficult Work Environment; Ideal for Strong, Seasoned Educators...Not Newbies.
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 13, 2017
Coming from a different county in which I grew up and worked in, I find that things are not as efficient or as organized. I went through the Resident Teacher Program and felt as though we were not properly prepared or forewarned about the need for strong classroom management skills. There was an overemphasis on FFT rather than how to deal with the variety of issues that would exist in the classroom.

There are a host of other things that definitely need to be changed in order for PGCPS to be truly "Great by Choice" but some things I have observed that need to change are the following: more organization from the top down, more timely notices regarding snow days and delays, organized and useful professional developments, particularly from the World Language Department, better professionalism, more competent educators at the top that will disciple people from the top down.
Pros
excellent benefits, great pay, friendly people
Cons
too large, unorganized, incoherent
poor administration
General Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDNovember 1, 2016
The chain of command is to be questioned. The board of education members should be removed. The expectations placed upon teachers is unreasonable, especially when the classrooms are not given adequate supplies for teaching. The overall culture of the school system is one of fear, that stems from the "leadership" at the top. For several years there was not enough time to take a break during the day. The best employees are the ones who pick up the majority of the slack, where others slide by with minimal effort. The turnover rate at some schools is ridiculous. The number of classrooms without teachers is disheartening. The lack of responsiveness regarding building maintenance is disgusting. The schools contain mold, insects and rodents of all kinds; including but not limited to roaches, ants, mice, snakes, groundhogs, spiders (black widows included), etc.
Pros
Free lunch program, some before/after care, good healthcare/benefits
Cons
Everything else! (see review)
You change lives
Voice Teacher for the DPA (Former Employee) –  Suitland, MDAugust 22, 2016
I very much enjoyed my time working at Suitland High School - Department of Performing Arts. I served as a voice instructor. I would describe the workplace environment as organized chaos. The teaching studios are very small so you can hear neighboring studios. You work with wonderful, committed, passionate colleagues. Ken Boucher is the supervisor - he is crazy, but in the best possible way. He does the work of 5 people. Just do your job, stay out of his way, and you'll be fine. Last but most important, you will work with some of the most talented students of your life. The opportunity to hear them progress of the course of 4 years is rewarding. For the most part, you will have parental support. I very much recommend working here.
Pros
Great music library, laid back work environment, great colleagues and students
Cons
Small rooms, no benefits
Needs better leadership.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MD 20772January 27, 2017
The school system is behind in curriculum and not adequately ran from the top down. Are failing their kids in the classroom, and failing their personnel outside the classroom.
Pros
Days off during year, summer breaks, no weekends, early schools.
Cons
low salary, school placement
Pretty repetative.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 4, 2016
Transporting children is a pretty good job, the only down fall would be some management, and the pay scales/benefits. You would typically go to work between the hours of 5:30am-6:30am, pretty laid back environment, once returning to the bus lots, the hardest part of the job would be to operate the bus safely, while maintaining control of the students.
Pros
A LOT of days off.
Cons
Pay/Beneifits
Good
Substitute Teacher (2years) (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 6, 2016
I learned a great deal from my trainers in the field of transportation and also gained ample knowledge of the field through countless hours of driving and training
Benefits
Cons
Promotional Opportunity
Provided opportunities for professional growth
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MD 20774January 12, 2017
I have experienced tremendous growth in my professional career over the thirty five years in this arena. It will benefit me in whatever endeavor I purse.
Pros
The opportunities and education
Cons
large district to assign only one CEO
Good staff morale
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 10, 2016
Safe learning environment for all students. The best part is working with the students to provide them with a quality education. Nothing is more gratifying than to observe a student mastering a skill that you have taught him or her.
Pros
Excellent benefits and security
Cons
Collaboration between departments
good learning opportunity
Food Server (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDNovember 22, 2016
A typical day at work is very structured and time sensitive; takes skilled planning and execution to assure that all 300 students receive nutritious meals in a timely manner.

I have learned a lot about food service, allergies, nutrition and time management.

My coworkers are a good cultural mix and most have harmonious relationships.
The hardest part of the job is working during the summer when the kitchen gets extremely hot.

The most enjoyable is learning new things daily and interacting with the children.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
not enough hours
Busy, inner-city Elementary School
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Landover, MarylandFebruary 20, 2017
Glenridge Elementary School in Landover, Maryland was a large, inner-city school not far from Washington, DC, with many marginalized, low-income students as well as a large immigrant population. The school, including very supportive administrators, was committed to accelerated learning for all students, and actively worked to maximize students' learning on a daily basis.

As a new teacher with a large census of recently arrived ESL students, I was given much encouragement and support, although the county-wide curriculum for ESL students was poorly established. Glenridge Elementary School was a welcoming base, where students and teachers formed close partnerships and where educational successes were maximized. My classroom was a safe and comfortable learning environment, and students worked hard to catch up to their native English speaking peers.
Pros
Warm, welcoming, encouraging environment
Cons
Inner City School
Spanish Teacher
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  SchoolFebruary 22, 2017
I came through the Resident Teacher program, and I learned so much. I am thankful for this program as it provided me a solid groundwork for how I plan lessons, manage student behavior, and deliver instruction. The training was heavily focused on FFT - especially on Domain 2 - Classroom Environment. Had there not been this program, I would not have had the opportunity to follow my dream of becoming a Spanish teacher.

I also enjoyed the continuous professional development provided by departments, particularly the World Language department. There are so many training opportunities to choose from. I have gained so much knowledge that I can apply to my practice to enhance my teaching and improve student learning.

I am grateful both to the Resident Teacher Program and also the World Language department for providing so many opportunities for me to continue to grow as a teacher. And, while some days can be challenging (as with any profession), I am able manage my classroom and do what I have always wanted to do - teach.
Pros
professional development
Cons
negative colleagues
great work place with a awesome group of people to learn from and grow
Security Assistant, Duties (Current Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDMay 26, 2016
A Great learning environment and very good work place, coworkers are great to work with and the kids are a pleasure to mentor and guide.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDFebruary 19, 2017
Free style. Nice place to work. Atmosphere is great. Great opportunity to learn and climb the ladder. There could be more communication between management team but overall a good place to work.
Pros
Versatility and ability to learn
Cons
Too many personalities working with all women
Great place to work.
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDFebruary 11, 2017
Great place to work. Good for training and professional development practices. They could provide a stronger support system for the staff. Also the Executive staff is top heavy. Funds could be better used for direct support of students and parents.
Engaging and inclusive workplace
Business Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDDecember 7, 2016
Offer strong professional development opportunities. However it is very difficult for non-instructional personnel to advance to Executive Managerial positions.
Pros
Vacation and Snow Days
Cons
Fiscal Budgetary Mandates
Prince George's Occupational Therapy Department
Pediatric Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 11, 2017
I have been working here for 27 + years and LOVE it. It is challenging at times but there is always a mentor around the corner to guide one through new computer programs and treatment modalities. Supervisor is amazing and great fun! Great place to work!
Pros
Meeting new people regularly
Cons
Driving in bad weather to all area schools.
decent paying job
Administrative Support/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDFebruary 15, 2017
The postal office is a good place to work if you like manual labor and have good overall body strength. The down side is they work you hard for a little bit of money.
Great
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMarch 11, 2017
Great Job. I enjoy being a positive influence and role model for the youth. Sometimes it can be a struggle in the school system when you have kids from all different walks of life. Being able to reach them and show them how valuable their educations is makes a difference.
i enjoy working with children
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 22, 2016
My responsibilities as a school food service assistant include more than the preparation and serving of food to students during breakfast or lunchtime. I must clean and sterilize utensils, machines and other equipment used during food preparation. I assist with meal planning; ensure that students are served appropriate portion sizes. All while storing and handling food in safe ways. Finally I keep records of and reorder stock, and participate in staff meetings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prince George's County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

71%