Prince Georges County Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Substitute teacher for grades K-6 and Special Educational
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDJune 28, 2016
Exhibited model correct behavior at all times and used positive language to achieve an informal nonthreatening learning environment. On the rare occasion there was no lesson plan,
created one of my own within the concept of the grade I was teaching.
Pros
The look on a child's face when a task is satisfactorily completed.
Cons
Settling a child down when he initially finds out he'll have a substitute
I enjoy work with children who have disabilities
Co-Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMay 22, 2016
I enjoy improving the lives of children. In working with children with disabilities is my passion. Seeing these kids is my life. I dedicate my life to theses kids because it is my calling. The day is not predicted because anything can happen at home and they bring it to the school. They are taught on the levels with personal experiences included. My goal is to make them all successful.
Pros
Increase their learning skills and help them to believe in themselves
Cons
When they are being hurt by the people who suppose to be loving them.
nice place to work and grow!!!!
Assist drivers (Former Employee) –  Capital Heights, TNMarch 10, 2016
nice place to work, cool co-workers and management.
most enjoyable part of the job was you were never bored and kept busy. Only thing if you start off temp try to get to know the managers so when spots are open they may choose you.
Pros
good place to work, great pace
Cons
temp jobs are great but can end out of no where.
Great call center work experience
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 10, 2016
I had a very busy yet satisfying experience with the American Red Cross. The work was a lot yet the management was good and the pay could have been better.
Pros
good work space
Cons
bad pay
Not recommended
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 13, 2016
Long hours, no pay raises. PG county- not recommended. Union not supportive, system lacks leadership and does not reflect their mission and vision
the hardest part of the job....
Itinerant Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 1, 2015
is the pay, the relationships built and the successes you share with your students and priceless. The schedule is awesome especially for someone that has school age kids themselves and during inclement weather. The hardest part is the pay and advancement, if you are in certain support positions.
Pros
Long lasting relationships and experiences
Cons
low pay and slow advancement
Fun learning experience everyday
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 17, 2015
a typical day starts with greetings from the students, I have learned when working one on one with students different technique is needed for him/her each child has their own learning style, managing the class centers are used to maintain order, I tend to get along with most of my co-workers, the hardest part of the job is watching a child who has learning disability who wants to understand how to get the work so badly and a parent (who see the problem but where blinders) refuse to sign so that the child can get the help he/she needs, the most enjoyable part about the job is watching the child's eyes get big when he or she finally understands the assignment.
Busy
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt elementaryMay 23, 2015
This is a fun job, you get out of it what you put in. My main concern is making sure that the children are safe and are learning and having fun at the same time.

This job could be more organized especially with documents that need to go out to parents. These documents should be given out at least a week in advance instead of the same day as the event.
Pros
Benefits, love the children
Cons
un organized
Love/ Hate Relationship
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  LanhamApril 24, 2015
I love what I do as a Special Educator but it is hard to do so with the amount of demands and the lack of understanding from others including those in higher positions. When I first started in the county I was given no mentor, and no type of guidance what so ever. I was fresh out of college and had to figure things out on my own.
Human Resources is terrible! When you call a number to a department given on the county website you are tossed from person to person or on hold for long periods of time and it seems like no one is willing to help or knows how to help. I could go on but I dont want to sound ungrateful for the things I do have.
Pros
Benefits, paid summers, professional development
Cons
Human Resources, lack of usable resources, confusion
Sometimes stress filled work place, sometimes great place to be
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MarylandApril 15, 2015
my day would consist of meetings in the morning, and maintaining control of maintenance issues and cleaning the building. I have learned how to keep things organized. Management is a hit and miss sometimes the are good sometimes the are bad. My co-workers for fun to be around and hard workers for the most part. Most mornings the hard part about my job would be coming to work because management is never consistent. The most enjoyable part of my job was the kids .
A productive place of business
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 1, 2015
A typical day consists of daily maintenance to classrooms, bathrooms, offices, hallways, and auditorium. Great co workers that were team players. he most enjoyable part of the job was the summer hours.
Pros
Great Benefits, healthcare, and retirement plan
Cons
relocating can somethimes be a hassle
Pgpsc
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMay 23, 2015
A very large school district struggling to balance the needs of society with the needs of students. Great benefits, strong union, but the many changes are implemented without follow-through.
benefits
Cons
discipline
I loved working with students.
Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMarch 23, 2012
The thing I enjoyed most about this position was that I was assigned to teach Reading/English to Special Education Students. It gave me an opportunity to combine two things that are closed to my heart, helping others and reading. My students were mostly ESOL or Learning Disabled and came to me mostly unable to decode words or comprehend text and I had the pleasure of teaching them to read using phonics and decoding skills.
Pros
working with the students
Cons
bureaucracy
Good job benefits
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bladensburg,MarylandMay 5, 2012
Prince George's County has been a good employer but unfortunately, they are barred from further sponsoring foreign teachers. I have good learning experience from my professional development courses. Co-workers are great and are supportive with one another. In our department, we work like one family which is the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part are the paper work.
benefits
Cons
visa sponsorship
Engaging and fun students are definitely fun to work with. Never a dull moment.
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 10, 2013
A typical day teaching music for me is having ten classes a day that move extremely fast. Students are definitely people with all our moods and issues who are usually very emotionally needed. Management is always interesting the actual system needs to find stability at the superintendent spot and I believe our system can be top notch. My co-workers are fun, but because I work in a different subject I don't get to interact as much as much as I wish I could with them. The hardest part of my job is how early we start for we have to be at school by 7:15 am., but the best thing of course is we get out earlier 2:45 usually by the latest.
Pros
summer break, and holidays
Cons
so many different personalities. sometimes can be a challenge.
Depends on the Management
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDFebruary 13, 2015
Great schedule and great principal.
The compensation does not always meet their expectations of the school system. Co-workers can be pleasant at times. The students are the always the best part of the job.
I Enjoy making a difference in the lives of our children.
Principal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoy going to work each day knowing that I am always helpful to someone in my work place (students, staff and/or visitors). My current staff are really positive people/educators. I would recommend this school system to anyone looking to make a positive difference in our young people. I am looking to change my work place due to me relocating.
Middle School Teacher
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 13, 2015
I loved teaching at Kettering Middle School. I had wonderful students and the best co-workers you could ever ask for. I gained life long friends.
Fun workplace. Enjoyed working in a school environment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 29, 2012
A typical work day at work was: cutting grass, keeping the ground area clean. Cleaning the classrooms and offices. Mopping the floors, collected and dumped trash, cleaned the black boards, and cleaned trash cans, etc. I learned to be responsible, because I was responsible for completing my tasks without being closely supervised. Management was great. The principal of the school was my superior, and she was great to work with. I was able to complete my work with very little supervision, and my supervisor was always very pleased with my work. The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy objects during the summer months to clean the entire classrooms and other areas of the school. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all of the school team (staff) members.
Pros
working the afternoon shift.
Cons
temporary employee with no benefits.
competitive compensation; great job security; decent culture
ESOL DEPT. CHAIR (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDApril 17, 2014
Friendly environment and supportive colleagues and administrators. Great opportunity for continued professional development. Work at time can be overwhelming.
Pros
great compensation package.
Cons
step freeze; no room for growth for teachers with 20 years of experience.

Prince Georges County Public Schools Reviews by Location