Prince William County Employee Reviews

working to better the education the lives of children
library science (Former Employee) –  prince william districtFebruary 13, 2017
productive and challenging, everyday was a joy to work to further the lives of theses children. furthering the education and lives of these children will ultimately make our community and lives better for a more fulfilling society to live an cohabitate in.
Pros
love the work and contributing
Cons
always wishing to do more
Enlightened me about the importance of zoning and building maintenance issues
Property Code Inspector (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJanuary 4, 2017
I am a self motivated and ambitious worker. This position offered me the flexibility to self initiate violations in an effort to recruit citizens to assist in reporting issue to improve their neighborhoods and quality of life. It also provided me support in terms of operational tools to complete these tasks in the field.
Pros
field work, flexible work schedule & self managed
Cons
too little pay for all work load
Fun work place
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 22, 2016
Love my job. Gives me a sense of satisfaction in helping teachers as well as the administrators. I work in concert with office staff as well and substituting, and assisting teaching in the class room.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Productive and rewarding work environment
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dumfries, VAMarch 28, 2016
Substitute teaching is rewarding. Everyday is a new challenge as you rotate to different schools. If you feel comfortable at one school, it is recommended that you try and stay there and work.
Great Department
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Prince William County, VANovember 6, 2015
The department is a great one to work for. The agency has the ability and room to expand in the upcoming years. There are plenty of avenues inside the police department to specialize and gain experience. There is always training opportunities to enhance your knowledge base and to become a more proficient officer/detective/employee.
Pros
working a patrol schedule, having four to five days off at a time
Cons
lack of pay structure: there is no pay scale
Co-workers
Jail Officer (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 17, 2015
I think the best part of the job are the people you work with in this profession. It's all about team work and this is an environment that promotes teamwork.
Grate place to work
Food Services (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 9, 2015
Handle customer' orders and process cash and credit card payments
Prepare, portion and store foods in accordance with policies and procedures of the school standards
Serve food in accordance with the establised menu, and according to the mutrition diet
Maintain adequate food inventory and make sure food is refrigerate and stored properly
Serve food at proper temperature and serve meals in timely manner
Count meal for each classroom; review for completeness/accuracy
Pros
Prince William County
Learning by doing
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bristow, VAJuly 7, 2014
I was very well supported and was truly given every opportunity to succeed.
Prince William County is a good place to work.
Human Services Worker III (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMay 1, 2014
Prince William County is a good place to work. The management is supportive, and it is a friendly workplace environment.
Pros
Short driving distance from my home.
Cons
Overall Prince William County Government is a good place to work.
Simple and good cleaning
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAApril 23, 2014
The hardest things in my job was taking out the heavyest stuff out.But my manger was very nice.
The most enjoyable part of my day was cleaning houses and Banks everyday monday thru friday .
On a typical day at work I cleaned and helped out my co. workers when they needed it.
Fun and interactive workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  VAMarch 18, 2014
This is a great intermediate job for those who are searching for a career and need something to maintain during that (potentially long) process. It is a great job to have if you have the intent to become a teacher. There is a lot of experience that can be taken from this job.
Local Government
Employee (Current Employee) –  Prince William, VAJanuary 17, 2014
Overall, this has been a very good place to work. The organization cares for its employees and works to provide top notch service to its clients/citizens.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Some in upper management can be difficult
Mentally rewarding but tough on monetary advancement
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Potomac Middle SchoolJanuary 5, 2014
Prince William County Schools is a fairly good county to work for, however, they have lacked in their monetary raises and advancements. Being a teacher is very mentally rewarding, but I am looking for more opportunities to advance and move forward. In my particular position, it is very difficult. We have not received a substantial raise in over 5 years and this makes it difficult in Northern Virginia when inflation and prices raise, but the pay checks do not. However, I really do enjoy teaching others... both young students and the adult population.

I also enjoy training in software and that is also what I have accomplished in the county with the other teachers in both of the schools that I have worked for. I enjoy being Co-Chair and it has taught me some of the most enjoyable aspects of being in management. I have leaned that teaching others has humbled me greatly and I have been so grateful for that opportunity. I would love to continue to thrive forward into another position and company and I can offer a great deal of knowledge and experience.
Pros
Some weeks off in the summer
Cons
salary, inudated paperwork associated with special education
Educational job within an environment of education!
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Bristow, VirginiaDecember 29, 2013
Working in the school system for as long as I have, I have learned a lot of human nature from small children, disabled, teachers and staff and parents! You learn quickly how to manage all their needs to the best of your ability while also standing strong when you are in disagreement but in an appropriate manner. You learn a lot about management as it's your job to keep things on schedule and moving along when the teacher gets lost in her lesson. It is also vital to have a good relationship with co-workers so that everything operates as smoothly as possible and everyone feels like they're a member of a team. The hardest part of the job is dealing with parents who think their children are perfect angels....the most enjoyable part of the job is working with some children who are!
Pros
Satisfaction that you have made a difference in a child's life.
Cons
Terrible pay....not paid anywhere near what we're worth!
You see the impact of your work everyday, and it's extremely rewarding
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VADecember 26, 2013
Working for local government is rewarding b/c you see the direct impact of your work. Prince William County is a very lean government serving a very large constituency. So, there are lots of opportunities to use your skills and talents beyond just a job description.
High School subsititute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  PWCSeptember 25, 2013
great secondary school environment.
Good employee relationship with staff members
Pros
overall high
Cons
Fun enviornment in which I am able to watch kids accel in different subjects
Prince William County Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VASeptember 6, 2013
Arrival at the school is an easy one if you have substituted at this school before, so you know where the school is located. You enter the main office, where your equipment is given to you: keys to the room, lesson plans which were made by the absent Teacher, a folder describing school procedures and special instructions. The next place you go is to the absent Teacher's "mailbox", where you pick up any remaining equipment.You continue to the absent Teacher's room. It is still early, and students are scarce. You enter the room, making sure to lock the door behind you. There are additional instructions on the absent Teacher's desk, that may tell you to make 100 copies of the chapter 4 - test review. Then the children arrive and the day begins. A substitutes job is not easy not only do you have to make sure that the work the teacher provided is done and done completely, you also have to ensure that all safety measures are followed and met to the schools satisfaction while under your care. Each and every teacher wants not only for their kids to succeed, but fellow teachers and employees to as well. Some days can be harder than others dealing with such issues such as vulgar language, talking back, fighting, but that's all in a days work as a high school substitute. You must remain calm and continue to encourage the kids no matter how tough it can get. The most rewarding thing is seeing a student you have helped get a better score on a test or even the simple satisfaction of them thanking for just being there and giving them encouraging words.
Pros
My day is never the same
Cons
Not a lot of benefits, Stay later some days, May not get called in every day
Great local government! Culture is rich and diversity is appreciated.
Training & Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAApril 2, 2012
Great local government! Culture is rich and diversity is appreciated. The Vision, Values, Leadership and Ethics Philosophies are lived and employees are hheld accountable to the Performance Measures of their Departments. The County is south of Washington, D.C. and there are two interstate systems that run through it: I-95 (north and south bound) and I-66 (east and west bound).
Pros
fiscally sound government, fabulous bond ratings
Cons
not sure i could articulate one!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prince William County. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2