Princeton Property Management Employee Reviews in United States

Not as great as I thought it would be.
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 7, 2016
A general synopsis of the position: answering inquiries, setting tours, renting apartments.

Job/work life balance: I gave a 2 because, after a full days work and two hours worth of rush hour, by the time I got home I had just enough time to feed myself and go to sleep. Im not alive only to work, eat, and sleep - outside of work I need some relational connection and joy in my life too.

Compensation/benefits: I gave a 2 because my hourly wage was 60 cents less than the part time person who had hardly any experience. The bonuses would make up for the loss - but bonuses are never guaranteed.

Job security/advancement: I gave a 2 because my direct supervisor was so unpredictable I couldn't tell if this person actually wanted me there or not.

Management: I gave a 1 because at the property I worked the training was minimal and the primary manager I worked with behaved like an entitled high schooler on a power trip through this persons display of passive aggressiveness, betrayal of trust, and gossip. Instead of an actual team leader who cared about our overall success this person made for a very dis-heartening and draining work environment.

Job Culture: I gave a 1 because the overall work environment was stressful due to items listed above, and then some... It's true when they say in Remember the Titans, "Attitude reflects leadership." It was difficult maintaining a positive attitude with a daily work environment as such.

The most enjoyable part of the day was finally going home at the end of my shift.
Pros
The residents! I met some amazing people!
Cons
Management.
Great training but poor treatment of employees
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 3, 2015
I was excited to get job with this company, the training I got was extensive and very helpful, but much after that the company doesn't believe in supporting its employees not even if their safety is being threatened.
Plus you never got to have your own life outside of the property because were on-call 24/7 and weren't allowed to be 20 miles away from your property unless had prior approval from your boss, including your days off. There was also no additional compensation for being on-call 24/7.
I am happy to be going to work for another property management company that believes in supporting their employees and looking out for their well beings.
Pros
great training
Cons
no outside life, no support.
Princeton Property
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 31, 2015
Princeton is a great company to work for. My location was in a crime filled part of town. Princeton is a great company to get a chance to be a property manager at small properties to gain experience.
Pros
Alot of challenges
Cons
Little support
Good, bad, and ugly
none (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 19, 2015
The good:
The training is great, very thorough. They really cover all of their bases and try to make sure you know absolutely everything- and you will be held accountable for knowing absolutely everything, so keep all those fantastic materials, take great notes, and refer to them often.

There are some really fantastic people here that really care about you. They will always be there for you, they will answer the phone when you call, they will be sincere and caring, and will not make you feel stupid for asking questions or needing help or support.

The bad:
Property management is not for everyone. Local property management companies like Princeton are VERY different from national ones. The pay structure is drastically lower. If you don't have a thick skin, this is not the company for you. If you don't have a strong ability to make decisions on your own with no supervision and support, this is not the place for you. If you just want a free place to live while you skate through life, this is not the place for you. Trust me, they WILL notice if you are not doing your job, and every single tiny piece of your job, including the pieces they neglected to tell you to do.

Everyone here is overworked. It is not you, or just a few people. Because of this, it can be VERY difficult to get help when you need it, and to get the right help. If you do not get the help you need, and you make a mistake, you are on your own (this is why you must keep and use your fantastic training materials.)

Unfortunately, things will always come up that you have never experienced before or been
  more... trained to deal with, at times when there is no one to help you, and when you do not know what to do, or how to respond to obtain the most favorable outcome for the company, you will suffer the consequences at the cost of your job and livelihood, or worse, your career and home. It's unfortunate that there is a "blame and punish" mentality that is used rather than an educational, "let's learn from this" one.

The ugly:
There are some good, kind people here. Few, but some. The reason there are so few is because they don't tend to stick around. The mean-spirited ones seem to thrive here. Sometimes they are nice to you, sometimes not. Sometimes helpful, sometimes not. I know they are busy, but I'm not convinced that's a good reason to be untruthful. I see a bit too much dishonesty here. I'm OK with someone disliking my looks or my personality, but I'm not OK with the same person telling me "wow you are so nice" then telling others "she really sucks!"

For example: if you are going to send out a email letting your entire team know your least favorite former co-worker sucks, maybe try sending it only to the people you know you can trust not to pass the information along to the person you are gossiping about. Better yet, why gossip at all? Especially about someone you don't even work with anymore? What's the point?

My advice to You, the prospective employee, and Princeton- take the high road and practice honesty and kindness.

If you harbor hatred in your heart, happiness will dock elsewhere.
Pros
Cheap commute, great starting and ongoing training
Cons
On call 24/7, lack of support, teamwork heavily discouraged
co-workers are always great about helping each other out
Residential Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2012
Huge property management company that offers extensive on-going training in every area of management, Oregon Laws, best practices, and all aspects of management & current and changing laws that pertain to multifamily residential communities.
I am continually learning new and better ways to advertise, diffuse difficult situations between management and tenant to tenant disputes, learning new minor maintenance tips, and am often asked to cover other properties for illness, vacations, etc.
Pros
have a beautiful community and incredible tenants! i am really spoiled!
Cons
office is in my apartment, absolutely no privacy to even sit on my deck and drink a cup of coffee and read a book, never time between a move-out and move-in, so i have to use my own apartment as a model
Growing company that is Supportive and Fun
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, OregonAugust 19, 2014
Being a part of the Princeton team has shown me how to perfect my time management and enjoy my self created work space. Each day I have the privilege to work in my on-site office which I have organized and decorated to welcome residents and prospects. I've been given the freedom to create my schedule and pushed to make positive changes for my property. I've learned about budgeting, more resident retention ideas and concepts and improving Net Operating Income. The group of people I have had the pleasure to see when I visit our corporate office and the committee members I work with are always professional, pleasant, and fun. Its awesome to be a part of a company that is growing so quickly. I have been lucky to be a part of such a great local corporation.
The hardest part of the job is learning each of my residents different personalities to ensure I am providing them with what they believe is the best possible service. In that same token, the most enjoyable part of my job is learning each of my residents hot buttons and finding new ways to serve them and making them feel as valuable as they are to our community.
Pros
supportive corporate staff, easily approachable supervisors and hr department. great opportunities for advancement.
Cons
capped bonus structure and limited vendor list
Uniquely Challenging and Worthwhile Management Experience
On-site Assistant Manager and Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 19, 2014
This position was offered to me as an opportunity to make changes at a challenging property. In my first month I was asked to evict the 12 most problematic apartments in an effort to increase safety, repair neglected apartment units, and increase property value. In the time that I was at this property I was successful in working with local police to enroll Woodland Park in a program designed to allow police more access to the property in order to increase resident safety. With my supervision my team was able to greatly improve quality of life for existing and incoming residents by making upgrades to the units, improving the cleanliness and aesthetic of landscaping and providing a friendly, caring, and helpful point of contact for residents.
This company is a way start build a career in the management of apartments.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 9, 2012
The training is very through and cultivates the imagination of renting apartments.Typical day at work is different every day solving problems that come about working with a variety types of people. I learned about laws, fair housing,minor maitenance and marketing do's and don'ts. There is a fine tuned system of management and chained of command. Hardest part of the job is dealing with complaints and most enjoyable part is helping people.
Great Place to learn
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 25, 2014
Princeton Property Management offered a great work environment to gain knowledge in the property management field that I could not find elsewhere. Princeton is a very structured company that has learned gained its reputation through experience. My daily job involved resident relations, collecting and reporting payments, marketing and leasing available or upcoming apartments and general projects around the property.
Definately does NOT have their employees best interest at heart.
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 10, 2013
Started off great and I learned alot...including Yardi Voyager. Some of the co-workers are great, while others are using petty cash as a temporary loan and others having intimate relationships with tenants/co-workers. Corporate should worry about those employees, not the ones who have their property 100% full and are now making the owner and themselves money!! Hardest part about the job was not being able to work with tenants when income was scarce. Princeton has no problem throwing people out into the streets...including their employees with only 4 days to move out. Wow, the thanks one gets for improving their property! I enjoyed the residents here and we had trust in one another. Many are extremely upset and want to contact the owner directly. Unfortunately do you really think corporate will give out his information or care that the tenants are upset about their manager being terminated for a petty reason? NO.... All they care about are the $$$ signs. Hope the property owners see them for what they really are and take their properties to a corporation with a good reputation and a higher score than "F" with the Better Business Bureau.
Pros
free training, law updates
Cons
no mileage reimbursement, no vision coverage, no heart
Worst company ever!
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 1, 2013
The properties that this company manages should be condemned.