Principal Financial Group Employee Reviews

General Office Administration
Administrative Assistant/Processor (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEAugust 19, 2017
In the administration department I was responsible for transcription for the staff and maintained the mail circulation of all incoming and outgoing ,ail for the office. As a Processor, I was responsible for processing Policy changes for the Group Policies. Was very stressful most of the time.
Pros
Great Professional Experience
Cons
Very strssful Processing Position
This was a good place to start my corporate type job experience
Client Transaction Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 12, 2017
Coming from educational type of employment this was my first taste of corporate work. We were in what you could call a cubical farm, you only saw the walls around you and the tops of your co-workers heads.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
managers had their favorites
Processing medical and dental claims
Accounts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2017
My typical day consisted of incoming calls from employees of companies that we provided medical and/or dental insurance for. Reviewed claims for medical necessity vs cosmetic. Also had a daily routine of following up on claims that needed additional information for processing. Authorized to pay $20.000 in claims at the time I left.
Balanced
Word Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 12, 2017
Work environment tend to be balanced. Workload was split with everyone in the department. Communication with the manager was really good. Staff was good with helping others inf needed.
Pros
Have a bank at the location
Cons
Not everyone get to park in the ramp - more mandatory to ride bus
Individual Investment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 20, 2017
Principal is a wonderful place to work! Great benefits, great people, facility is well kept. Personally did not like the actual job. Thejob was very monotonous and boring as it was a call center.
Pros
Excellent health care, excellent match for retirement, amazing management
Cons
Time off system needs updating, job becomes very monotonous
Need plenty of overhead
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 6, 2017
You will be doing a ton of cold calling and networking events. Currently there is minimal support, help and direction for new advisors from Senior Advisors and management. You will need to make sure you have plenty of funds in a savings account to help pay your bills for the first few years while you build your practice.
Offered good benefits for Part-Time Employees
Compliance Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 23, 2017
Offered good benefits for Part-Time Employees. Ability to work from home. I enjoyed working with our external and internal customers providing them with good customer service.
No longer exist
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2017
This company no longer exist at least in SLC. It was an early job for me and I enjoyed it but in the end went out of business and that of course precipitated me moving on.
Straight commission job,
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 18, 2017
Tough to get started at this industry, this job is not for the timid or lazy. this job will make or break you in 6 months or less. no mistaking this is a good company, I still have some business with them it just did not work for me.
Pros
youwoek when you want
Cons
May not make much
Agent
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 15, 2017
I met with clients to determine the best course for the needs they expressed: life insurance, health insurance, disability or investment opportunities.

The most difficult part of the job was convincing people that they needed insurance. I told them to call me the day before they died and we'd talk about it earnestly!

I had fun with my co-workers as well as my clients.

Want to know more about Principal Financial Group?

Ask a question
Awesome athmosphere, management super effective and opened to listen the employees.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 25, 2017
I learned a lot with my managers, who provide the training needed to do this job. One of the aspects about this job that I appreciate is the fact that it is not mandatory that we are at the office everyday.
Productive and fun workplace
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 21, 2017
Processed medical and dental claims of varying dollar amounts.
Responded to telephone inquiries from individuals, hospitals and doctors regarding specific claims. This position also required that I maintain excellent production and quality statistics. Processed written requests, and claim corrections.
Strong company, very disconnected
Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 21, 2017
Principal itself is a good company. Especially if you are a manager. The management especially mid level does nothing to contribute to the success of the company. They are extremely disconnected and rarely even work at all. They run teams with the extremely minimal employees and expect everyone to work 50+ hours per week year round. They treat employees like garbage and that they can easily replace the employee with someone else. They limit the PTO time you can use and when you use it they become upset. Overall, the pay is average and benefits are okay. I think it would be a much better place to work if senior management would be more involved and stop promoting terrible middle management.
be ready to be chief cook and bottle washer
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 27, 2017
Definite lack of support growing and maintaining your business.
Management is essentially the same as other organizations in this business, political and slow to respond.
Pros
be your own boss
Cons
lack of support
Great company
Lead Benefits Admin Analyst (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 21, 2017
Principal is a great company to work for. They really focus on putting the customer first. They offer a competitive benefits and compensation package along with a flexible work/life balance.
Great if you're in Iowa
Staff Support (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 16, 2017
All the work/life balance and job advancement opportunities are in Iowa at the home office. The Bay Area seems to be a revolving door as its clear we are out of sight, out of mind.
Processing incoming and outgoing mail.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 12, 2017
My hardest part of the job was the standing all day.

The most enjoyable part was my co-workers and the pay.

I learned how to package and weigh mail.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
standing all day
great company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJanuary 7, 2017
very nice company to work with, chance to advance, very friendly environment, easy learning tools, great benefits, independent working environment very minimal Supervision
Great Workplace
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 4, 2017
Very open and supportive culture with great benefits and job security. If I return to Des Moines later in my life, I will definitely try to resume working at Principal.
Pros
Perks, benefits, flexible
Cons
Easy to get lost in the shuffle
Incoming mail processor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 13, 2016
We have good management, a lot of people who are willing to help others. Principal is a good place to work. We have a good work life balance with flexible hours.