Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Employer Reviews

Principal Financial Group Review
Inside Sales/Account Consultant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2014
Great company, competitive pay and great benefits. A typical day consist of building relationships and trust with brokers. Working closely with sales representatives.
best job i've had so far
Intake Medical Management Specialist (Former Employee), Ames, IASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: plenty of time off, great benefits, felt like a valued employee
not only ample PTO but company also offered 8 hrs a year in time off to volunteer. Excellent training program, user-friendly software, friendly co-workers, got the ability to work from home the last year I was with them. I would still be with them if they hadn't closed the medical insurance portion of the business.
Company with great benefits
Benefits Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Des Moines, IASeptember 21, 2014
Pros: reasonably priced lunches; artwork; activities
Cons: management
A typical day of work was very challenging which I liked. I had a wide variety of tasks that I performed.

I learned a lot about employee benefits and really enjoyed the work.

In my department, management was not always very supportive.

I had great co-workers and had many friends at the company.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with management – more... in my department.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the work environment. There was a lot of art work throughout the complex. We had our own cafeteria which was not only good, but reasonably priced. We also had a lot of activities which made us even closer. – less
Meh?
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 19, 2014
Great work life balance. They mean it. But you don't always have the tools and support you need to do your job well. Field offices are an after thought which is awesome or horrible depending on the situation.
Micro mangement
Client Service Associate Assistant (Former Employee), Spokane, WASeptember 10, 2014
the managers just micro manage everyone. They want you to be a mindless robot.
Good company.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2014
Good management, products and services that focus on helping clients successfully navigate the retirement course.
advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Lake Elmo, MNJune 19, 2014
it is up to you to learn and figure everything out. It isn't a job they will train you on.
Good place to work!
Project Assistant & Communication Specialist (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 10, 2014
The Principal Financial Group is a wonderful place to work. There is room for advancement and learning different parts of the company is always encouraged.
Great place to work!
Career Agent (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJune 5, 2014
Great place to work with a family atmosphere. Need to be outgoing and hardworking. The sky is the limit but you have to be very disciplined. Flexible hours and huge potential
Goal oriented and emphasis on efficiency
Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 2, 2014
Pros: emphasis on volunteering
Principal is a solid employer that provides numerous benefits to employees, such as flexible work schedules, health/ wellness checkups, free workout facilities, and strong emphasis on volunteering in the community. Co-workers are professional and friendly.
great people
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 1, 2014
Pros: freedom
Cons: freedom
great people
bad local management
location
marketing
hr was great
easy hiring process
Gender biased, micromanaged, tense environment
N/A (Current Employee), Brentwood, TNApril 27, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hr useless, upper management not supportive of our situation, no faith in company at all
Office manager gender biased. Males can do anything they please, come in late while females are kept to a strict schedule. Micromanaged and tense office due to manager. She has been reported to HR as well as her boss and nothing has changed which to me sends a powerful message. Sales manager supports this manager being there so his opinion trumps belittled – more... and berated employees. Office manager makes inappropriate comments about men in front of employees. – less
Fast paced good support
Benefit Verification Specialist (Former Employee), Grand Island, NEApril 15, 2014
You were always given the tools needed to do the job. The people were wonderful and always happy
Decent entry level job
Life Insurance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAApril 2, 2014
Pros: benefits, pay
Cons: call center environment, ridiculous policies, hours
I believe the company is a decent one to work for but I simply did not care for the job I was doing or the management in my department.
Great Company - Very Pro Employee for advancement and continuing education
Senior Brokerage Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2014
Best company I ever worked for! The management was always requested and appreciated your input and made adjustment to benefit all.
The corporate office also acknowledged employee accomplishments and encouraged the employess through simple notes of gratitude or small gifts.
The people were great there. I only left this company because they kept relocating – more... futher and futher away from my home and family. – less
Great culture to work in
Account Executive (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: great team to work with
Cons: no room for advancement
I enjoyed my job very much. It was challenging and diverse. My main focus was case retention and cross-selling while managing existing accounts.
Level 2 support person
IT Analyst (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: little room for advancement
as a level 2 support person, most of my day was resetting passwords
Worked at a GA office not directly for company
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), NYC, NYMarch 9, 2014
Pros: not applicable
Cons: not applicable
Not applicable

Office was a pleasant place to work

Staff was good to work with
Great Work Life Balance
Benefit and Planning Counselor (Current Employee), USA, USAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: truly value work life balance
Cons: advancement opportunities
Overall, Principal is a very a good company to work for. Excellent benefits and work life balance. Advancement opportunities are few and far in between unless you work in the home office in Des Moines, IA, or are willing to move.
My current position as Benefit and planning counselor involves spending each day at a different location meeting 1:1 with – more... the employees of Principal's retirement plan clients who participate, or want to participate in their employers retirement plan (401k, 403b etc..). Each meeting involves a financial needs analysis that is comprehensive, but focused mostly on retirement planning. It is an incredibly valuable service and the people I meet with greatly appreciate the help. I also do standard group educational seminars, but the 1:1 meetings are the primary focus.
The most difficult part of the job is that you have to be a "jack of all trades". You are mostly a financial advisor and an educator, but parts of your job include aspects of wholesaling, and relationship management. In order to accomplish anything, or move forward with a plan to generate more opportunities, you have to get the go ahead from 3 or 4 different people, sometimes more. The challege is good because you expand your skillset, but it's also frustrating because the multiple responsibilities, and multiple gatekeepers take you away from the job duties that have the greatest impact on hitting your goals. – less
Productive workplace
Rotational Accountant - Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2014
A typical day at work would include for example financial analysis, communication between the holding company and the subsidiaries in Brazil, review of the processes and look for opportunities to improve it.
My job has helped to to be more independent and make my own decisions, because the management provides me with all the support I need to execute – more... my functions but allows me to do it the way I prefer or feel more comfortable as long as I get the expected results. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Principal Financial Group

Ah, the circle of life. For a child in elementary school, avoiding the principal is paramount. However, folks looking toward retirement – Read more

Principal Financial Group Photos