Priscilla McCall's Employee Reviews in United States

Fun job with a lot of people contact.
Key holder/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 28, 2015
My typical day is filled with new product and customers. I have learned how to handle cash drawers and bank deposits. My boss has been a great person to work for and encourages me to grow more. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people and the hardest part will be when I leave and move on to a bigger and brighter future.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
not enough pay
Great place to help people
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 13, 2015
Helping customers as need and keep store straight. I learn that it can be tough to me a manager,but it is worth it. It's hard to find employees that are drama free. Hardest part was trying to deal with all drama and thinking that I was replaceable. I loved my job and interacting with the different people that would come in.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
All the drama
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 5, 2015
Providing customer service and information to customers about products offered in store and online. Fun place to work but not a long term career.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
Products sold by company would bring in questionable customers.
Good place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCAugust 7, 2015
A typical day consist of packing, shipping or receiving. I learned that some bosses can be very friendly and still go by the book. Management was always professional. Coworkers were pleasant and helpful. Hardest part of the job was well really nothing was hard. the most enjoyable part was the family oriented environment.
Pros
Great managment team
Cons
Temporary agency
Sales Associate / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJuly 24, 2015
This job is one of my favorite jobs that i have had. The environment is great, all the employee's are great to work with and help each other out.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
guys hitting on you
Not worth the time.
pt employee (Former Employee) –  Raleigh,NcJune 15, 2015
Such a wonderful place if only it didn't have its many problems. I was only a part time employee stayed for almost 1 1/2 years. The customers are sometimes creepy asking you to go deep into your personal life. Then you occasionally have a few men flash you their p***** or their women. Yes I understand the nature of the store but this is not okay and management does nothing about it.

Lunch breaks- if your not leaving the store you may sit down and eat food while on the clock. You may clock out only before 5pm which is reasonable to go get food but you must wait 1 hour into your shift. That's with another employee or management in the store.

Key holder- Other than not cleaning at the end of the night, there are no perks to this position. You still get paid 7.25 , your responsible for money and the store also you are using your own gas in your car to go to the bank and they do not compensate for you doing them a service. Those miles add up eventually. Your also responsible if the manager get their bonus at the end of the month..

Pay raises- Scarce, I only seen one pay raise since I worked with this establishment and that's a pt employee turning into a manager.

Management- My manager was awesome, she truly made me feel appreciated and definitely kept me around for a long time. The area supervisor when I started definitely helped me with getting better with my people skills and also taught me better techniques to help and also upsell. Now the new area supervisor is a hard *** that stays on her phone to much. Part of the staff that I was working with left because of
  more... her. They are very sneaky and find ways to get rid of people.

Schedule- the schedule may not be put out till the week of. 25 hours or less. Sometimes well majority of the time they call you in on your days off expecting you to work because of someone else. My manager was in the store all day and sometimes everyday and the area supervisor will not come to their aid.

Life crisis- If you have kids this may not be the place for you. One thing management hates are call outs sometimes things aren't in our control. Having a sick child, going to the hospital, anything to were they have to find someone to cover your shift will have them highly upset.

Employment- This is not like McDonald's were they have a million and one people your limited to about a staff of 4 girls or more depending on the store. So finding coverage for your shift was very hard. Their turn over rate is through the roof.

Opening the store was a drag you can be alone almost till 4 pm so I suggest trying to get your bathroom break in before you open because if your busy you won't even have time to wipe your tail because you are constantly hearing that door swing open.

Now when the store is not busy you are REQUIRED to clean. That is taking all the boxes off the shelf,wiping the boxes, wiping the shelf, checking the date and placing them back on the shelf. Then the managers will go behind you and tell you it is not clean to their standards and make you do it all over again. And these isles are not small some are. Constantly cleaning this played out slat walls and grid walls managers constant changing things around to make it look better. Lol.. they never change the cleaning list so it was the sme thing every week or two.

Plus I never in my life seen a area supervisor open so many products and blame it on a customer or open seal as they would call it. Pitiful. This new one though she is a piece of work and she is so nosey. Never seen someone talk on the phone all day especially a corporate line. I got tired of listening about how many people she interested in or what her friends are doing. I know one thing she chose that phone over my asking her about a product. Not to professional but I guess professional enough for P.M.

Never seen the owners I hear they are quite nice. Would have loved to meet them.

But overall this place is not something you would seriously invest your time in unless you hit the lottery and don't care what kind of job you have.
Pros
paid lunches, employee discount
Cons
working alone, management, creepy customers
Interesting job, but not worth it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 30, 2015
I have been with this company for a little while now, and I enjoy my customers and generally what I do, but the actual company itself has things it needs to work on. We have almost no solid way to deal with rude customers or customers whose actions verge on harassment. Despite typically working an 8 hour shift, I have only taken a break twice in the 2+ years I have worked for them. Our lunch "breaks" are running out to a fast food place or having something delivered and sitting in the backroom to eat instead of getting 30 minutes to go somewhere and get out of the store for a little bit. Our turnover rate is ridiculous because people will have such high hopes about the job just to have them crushed a few months into the position.
Pros
Paid smoke breaks, employee discount.
Cons
Little to no actual breaks, raises and advancement are rare.
Not for people with kids
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJanuary 18, 2015
It was a fun job when I first started but it all started going downhill after the first 3 months. I always seemed to get called into work on my days off and my schedule would get changed numerous times after it was posted which caused me to lose the sitter for my kids. When I became a key holder I had to work until 430 alone which made it hard to even go to the restroom much less be able to have lunch.
Pros
didn't have to clock out if we stayed in the building to eat.
Cons
no scheduled breaks, work alone most of the day
workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh NCSeptember 1, 2014
they are not for people that have children or have been a stripper
Productive, Professional, Educational Work Enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCAugust 20, 2014
My typical day would start off with counting the safe, count the contents of the register and making/taking deposits to the bank. Scan and file any paperwork. Greet customers as they would enter the store. and assist the customer with any questions or help educate them about products in the store. I've learned many interesting things along the way. such as information about our products, opening and closing procedures and what type of responsibility a key holder takes on. I absolutely love the ladies I work with, the ladies work in a professional manner and are the most kind and friendliest individuals. I enjoy Working at Priscilla McCall's, I learn new things everyday.
Pros
reasonable lunch breaks, manager is fair with scheduling
Cons
part-time employees are limited to 25 hours weekly, the compensation is started off a minimum wage and it takes a few years to get a raise.
Fun environment for Disposable employees
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  WilmingtonMay 7, 2014
The corporate managers DO NOT respect or appreciate their part time employees WHAT SO EVER. ALL new hire employees start at minimum wage of $7.25/ hour regardless of location. I had employees of mine that had worked for me for 2+ years that I was not allowed to give a raise to. Whenever I tried, and gave my reasons of why said employees were deserving of the whopping 25 cent raise they would CONSIDER giving the employees- supervisor would tell me that all the reasons I'm giving aren't saying why employees DESERVE a raise...that they're doing their "job". They offer no incentive for employees to stay. They never hire as Full time and now all part time employees are hired and will not exceed 25 hours a week.

As management, I had ZERO work/life balance. During Valentines season, I would be working 100 hour work weeks with no days off and no breaks. I was not allowed to hold a second job while employed as management and they don't give annual raises to managers either. My days would be spent from 8:30 am- 4:00 pm alone and with no other employee to work with and my day is spent deep cleaning the store repeatedly. I had a set schedule that I was only allowed to deviate from if I had a REASON to change it. The corporate supervisors require their store managers to review DVR footage for ANY time the manager is not in the store, so if the manager leaves at 5:00, they'll be watching from 5:00- closing the next day, so employees are always being reviewed and critiqued.
I was forced to work employees on days off that I had no problem giving them off for the simple fact that my boss did
  more... not want to accommodate that request off because she "would never let her other stores offer their staff that". Then after putting that employee on the schedule, being told to write them up if they don't arrive for a shift she already knew that employee refused to work.
Retail stores are FORBIDDEN from hiring men, you will notice ONLY women at EVERY SINGLE STORE LOCATION- and they get around this by employing men at the corporate office.

If you want any respect from an employer or stability in a company, this would NOT be a company to go for. I learned a lot about management while I was here, but was also forced into a lot of situations that I don't agree with and having to treat employees in a less than desirable way for the sake of working for a micro-managing supervisor that refuses to relinquish control to her managers. There are SO many problems with this company and how they run things I couldn't possibly list them all here.
Pros
fun entertaining products and customers
Cons
no stability, advancement, no monetary gain....most everything
Never a Boring day
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 14, 2014
What was probably my most interesting job, Priscilla McCall's helped me grow in my customer service and sales skills, as well as helping me learn to adapt to constant changing retail items and sales techniques, as well as learning how to deal with more difficult customers.
I greatly enjoyed working with my co-workers, all of whom were fun to work with but exercised great professionalism and customer service, which is needed in a job that deal with very sensitive topics. I enjoyed being able to help customers in very personal matters as well as helping them to feel at ease with themselves, their preferences, and overall being in the store. The hardest part of the job was the short staff, as well as having to learn a great deal of information in a short amount of time.
Yes there were times we had to deal with not so friendly and sometimes downright intolerable customers, but overall my experience at Priscilla's was an enjoyable one. I even made a lifelong friend while working there!
Pros
flexible schedule, interesting work environment, interesting customers
Cons
little pay, stressful management and customers
The customers can be fun to talk to.
Sale's Associate, Key-Holder (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2014
There is a lot of cleaning. There is a daily, weekly, and bi-weekly cleaning list and many of the tasks on the list get repeated. The opening shifts are boring and brutal because if you're the only one in the store you can't leave the front unattended, even if you are in dire need of a bathroom break. If they promote you to key-holder you just get more responsibilities and to use your car to take deposits to the bank, but you get no extra pay or gas compensation for using your car. Also they don't offer direct deposit so you have to pick up your check, yourself each payday. Raises are few and far between if at all and don't even think about a promotion beyond key holder. I have only heard of one person getting a raise or promoted and that was the same one person who became a manager.
Productive and Fun Working Environment
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 7, 2013
Alot of time is spent maintaining the cleanliness of the store and educating customers about various products throughout the store while promoting sales. As a keyholder I am required to perform a shift change and closing and/ or opening, completing paperwork, and scanning the paperwork in.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
no set break time.
Very busy store with horrible management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville NCSeptember 5, 2013
This company does not care about you as a employee. All they see is dollar signs. Much needed repairs but not willing to spend a dime.
Great place to work. Love my customers and employees.
Retail Sales Associate / Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 7, 2013
It's a great place to work. I learned how to deal with angry customers and also learned how to help the customers need.My co workers are very helpful, and they are there if I need anything. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I get a customer that comes in and has no idea what they are looking for, and I get to help them and also explain each product to get them to understand what they need or looking for. The hardest part is when a customer leaves with out anything. Also when my supervisor comes in and makes me feel like I am walking on egg-shells. Makes me feel unwanted.
Pros
discount, employees and customer, learning about the products
Cons
supervisor making me feel unwanted or not appreciated
Fun Environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 17, 2013
I leaned many different things, met a lot of good people. Hardest part was mopping. Most enjoyable, everything.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 23, 2012
this is a nice place to work if you would balance in your life. the family atmosphere is most definitely there, and the management of the company is in very good hands
Pros
great team work
Cons
really no cons
Fun Experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 28, 2012
The store alone was fun to work and the employee's and the manager was amazing but the Supervisor is a very unfriendly and unfair Supervisor...She made it known that she had favorites. She always insults you and never apologizes for it.

2.4