Professional Transportation, Inc. Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Delivery/Transporter (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 1, 2017
Established relationships with coworkers as well as railroad personnel Transport to various cities in TN and KY on an call, as needed basis. Job was very rewarding and enjoyable
Not good.
Over the Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Selma, NCJanuary 20, 2017
Do not work for these guys. They will use you like a puppet for the minimum wage. The job is tiring, dangerous, and they care less about what you feel. Don't apply.
Pros
Cons
Drive day and night. No benefits.
Absolutely a garbage place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohNovember 20, 2016
I started work in columbus oh went through their driving class. And did two trips. Totaling 14 hours. And it has been 8 weeks and they have not paid me. I found out quickly that they were a bull****company. Ive made several calls to their home office in Indiana. Talked with the payroll dept. Talked to an owner. And they still haven't paid me. So i had to fill out paperwork so that the ohio industrial commission can sue them for my check.
Pros
Cons
They will cheat you for sure
New faces in management all the time.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Evansville, IN/ my location is Chicago.November 2, 2016
I have work as a manager several times, Trainer, Coordinator, no appreciation, need job so I step out of management three different times basically trained new management no increase in pay.
Pros
Bring lunch with eat while working
Cons
No breaks
It was a great place to work
Drive for Union Pacific (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 30, 2016
I loved this job they was great to work for they understand how to help and take care of the people. The train crews was great and they love to have fun. I loved my job cause I love to drive. Thanks
Pros
love driving
Cons
miss do things on the week end
Executive management is incompetent
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midwest USAugust 17, 2016
Without a doubt the worst company I've ever worked for.

Zero support for field mangement, long hours, never get to shut your phone off. Corporate management takes no accountability and always pushes blame for poor financial performance back onto the field staff.
Pros
Can't actually think of any.
Cons
Irregular hours, minimal time off, sleep deprivation.
Good way to learn about the railroad
Over the Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 1, 2016
All the different railroad crews were great to work with, and most were more than willing to answer questions about the railroad and their jobs. Also the driving could be hours long, but the places that I went to were interesting to see.
Pros
All the different men and women you get to meet
Cons
Being on call for 12 hours a day sometimes without runs, meaning no pay
Not productivr
None (Former Employee) –  North Chicago, ILMay 2, 2016
Do not think this company has a clue you will work for next to nothing. Have had a phone interview with and can honestly say the person I talked to had no clue .
Cons
A good job for retireries
Driver (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 20, 2015
Got to travel around state of LA. and meet new people. Sometimes had to locate trains in unfamiliar locations (I. e. not on map).
Pros
Part-time income.
Cons
On-call with no work = no pay.
Don't bother
Driver (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 28, 2015
Driving train crews to and/or from their trains. Not much else to tell as that is the extent of the job. 5-7 people waiting around for calls. Calls are issued to drivers through a waiting list. First one on the board is the first person that gets the call.
Pros
If you haven't seen much of North Dakota, this job will give you the chance to see a lot of out-of-the-way places
Cons
.Waiting around for calls. Spent more time waiting than working.
Bad Management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WaSeptember 9, 2015
I was hired on as a driver on August 26th, 2015.
Since that time, I have completed just 2 days if training, today is September 9th, 2015. 1day in the office and 1 in the local yard. I have been trying to contact the branch manager by phone several times, and have even went to the office and sat outside (as I am now) waiting for it to open. Still nothing has been set. When I call the manager, it will ring to voice mail, half of the time voice mail is full, and i can't leave a message. The other times I don't get a call back. I have even tried to call the recruiter who set up my interview and did my 1st classroom training. Yet no response to the voice mails that I have left her.

During the interview they said we go through a lot if drivers, "because they realize the job isn't for them", maybe it is the poor management, the lack of communication, the lack of simple respect, that they give potential employees.

If you can, stay away from this place.
Pros
Not 1 Thing
Cons
Management, Communication, Respect
Simple and easy going
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 17, 2015
Its a pretty straight forward job, management isn't that great, co-workers are bearable though they have seniority bragging rights over you. Hardest part is the sun.
Pros
Open schedule
Cons
No benefits, doesn't offer any full time
Don't work for them
O T R Driver (Former Employee) –  Lafayette In.August 11, 2015
I was working for them part time and it wasn't bad. But when I changed to full time they started giving the good trips to the long term drivers and shorted my pay by over 400 dollars in one month. They didn't admit to either accusation so I quit.
Pros
Ok if you are part time
Cons
Don't drive OTR full time for them
Horrible accountability
driver (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 15, 2015
Everything read in all of the reviews is true. You have to be available during your 12 hour shift and may or may not get a call from dispatch and that time is not compensated. Only the runs you get and that's only mileage and wait time is only during time you were needed. Worked overnights 6pm-6am and had to be available and only got a call or 2 a night. Then got a call for a run that put me over in to the next day to get done at 1pm but still had to be back on by 6pm and not paid for time spent. If you don't take a call you get reported even if you turn down a 5 hour trip 30 minutes before your 12 hour shift is over that would be impossible to make. Then management calls you and lays in to you. Last minute schedule changes. Scheduled Tuesday to Sunday and then tuesday comes and get notice that now schedule will be Wednesday to Sunday effective immediately so my day off was lost last minute. Worked 60 hours scheduled in 5 days and was only paid for 1/3 of that because of runs regardless of on call time. State law says paid for on call time but there is a loophole that since you have the ability to turn down a call then you don't get paid. But turn call down and you can get fored. Had to pull over on way home from long run for hail storm and did not get paid for the hour because it was distance not time. Have to drive 10-15 miles below speed limit but again you get paid for distance not time but get fired if you break this rule. Imagine going 15 miles below speed limit while tired after working 15 hours.... Horrible. Met some great people and fun for most part but you will be  more... shocked by pay and no way to correct it. If you call diaptch and t let them know you arrived, and you are 15 minutes early you will not get paid for that because you weren't needed at destination until certain time. And you will wait over 2 hours most times. Thought it would be a good way to make some money between jobs but pay is so low you can't catch up and can't schedule interviews around calls and you have to sleep. DO NOT DO THIS unless you can get descent hours round normal sleep schedules and don't need the money.  less
Pros
see review
Cons
see review
Great people to work with, very supportive co-workers and branch managers.
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 17, 2015
Job is pretty laid back, fun atmosphere with co-workers and branch manager, Upper management likes to micromanage and tends to be less personable. Benefits suck!
Pros
Company pays for DOT medical exam, per work requirement.
Cons
Little room for advancement. Benefits are sub-par.
Worst place I ever worked
Over the road driver. (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, Wi.January 6, 2015
The worst place I ever worked. Portage, Wi. and Adams, Wi. each have their own manager and each manager has an assistant. I'm 67 years old so I couldn't handlr the long drives to Chicago, Ill. and back. The manager at Adams, Wi. told me to get a doctors excuse and I wouldn't have to go to Chicago any more. I turned it in and the co. stopped assigning jobs to me, and they won't answer my calls or return my calls.
The management is completely incompetant. I wish I could name names on here.
Pros
Met some nice people driving.
Cons
Worst place I ever worked
worse place I have ever worked in my life!
va (Current Employee) –  evansvilleDecember 31, 2014
I feel sorry for anyone one who works here that is not in management. I am not a driver. When I was hired in I was told it was a payroll position, 40 hours a week, that wasn't even close. This is a coding job, I didn't even know what that was, I was lied to from the get go just like everyone else. I have worked 55 - 70 hours a week for a long time, one because they can't keep people and two because they give you such ungodly deadlines and workloads that it's not possible to get it accomplished. You are told to focus on quantity not quality. .this is people's pay you are dealing with. Most employees there are well educated, and in search of starting a career. Most employees are more educated and have more know how to run a company than any of the power tripping management. You will be fired just as fast as they hired you. You are treated like a disposable number, they could care less about you. If you goto anyone there with about problem it will be used against you about century some point. The you have to deal with drivers being mad about their pay because it is not correct because you are not allowed to do quality work and told just to push through and get it done, and these drivers have all the right to be mad, I can't believe people even work for them. Benefits..haha you might as well forget that, oh they offer them, like 1 sick day after 2 year, you get vacation but you have to make up all hours and work missed, whether your sick or on vacation. The insurance is the worst I have ever had, you are completely out of pocket on medical expenses until your deductible  more... is met, unless you have a medical condition you will never meet the deductible of $800 - $2500, also costing you $25 - $140 a month just to have it. I could go on forever, just like everyone there, we are all miserable. Unless you are in a dire situation don't work here, you would be better off at mcdonalds!  less
Pros
Cons
everything
Shorted paychecks, bad benefits, high turnover rate
driver (Current Employee) –  new york nyDecember 20, 2014
When you first start out you are a driver. You will NOT get paid between trips. You could sit for 12 hours and not get one trip. When you get a trip you will be paid miles when you drive and when you wait you will be paid by the hour. you will be paid around .20 cents a mile and around 9 per hour. for training it is min wage.

When your paycheck comes you will have to make sure it is correct for every trip you do which means you have to keep track of every stop you make and every mile you go and how long you wait. If you get a trip you will have to be at the place at 12:00 (which is called the need time) you have to be there at 12:00 or before you can't be late. If you show up early you will not be paid for waiting any time before the need time.

There is code set miles which are how you get paid. If the code set miles for a trip is 45 miles and you drive over 45 miles you will only be paid 45 miles and no more.

If you do choose to work for PTI you may find it is a fun place, but after a while you will find it to be unfair.

I would suggest you use PTI for your benefit to make some money while you try to find another job.

Due to the high retaliation rate of upper management I am wanting to be anonymous, but wish to spread the word on how bad PTI treats there hard working employees.
Pros
driving
Cons
too many to list
A good place to start or to start over
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mpls Branch 479September 22, 2014
If I had just read the reviews online without having met with them first, I probably would have ran for my life but the Mpls location is well run and the office managers are very supportive. It's certainly not for everyone but a lot of the frustration in the reviews seems to be due to the difficulties after the merger with Coach America and the unpredictable nature of the industry.

The pay's not great, but it does offer a chance to try it out albeit on a small scale the trucking lifetstyle without having to make a big investment in training or buying a van.

You have to be able to get to the office, pick up a van and be on your way within an hour of getting assigned a run, so if you live close enough to check in and wait at home it's much more convenient.

The pay's not great, but what this job does offer is a way for decent hardworking people to get a foothold somewhere to get something going - especially if you're starting over or just stuck. Sometimes it seems you can't get a job unless you have a job and PTI will give you a chance. It's a little sad that there's a stigma attached to that and all the yap about corporate greed and the 1% aside - this job will give a boost to the people that need it most.

There's a sense of community here as well since you can hang around the office while waiting for a run. There's a little kitchen and lounge area. With so many people that are homeless or without anything to anchor them, that sense of belonging can make all the difference. If you have a class d license, a clean MVR for 7 years and can pass a drug screening
  more... test, you'll will likely be hired.  less
Pros
Sense of community
Cons
It's not 9 to 5 with a set paycheck
Necessary to know
Driver (Former Employee) –  Abilene TexasAugust 14, 2014
Suggestion to prospective or former employees

Keep a personal log documenting: When you are called for a run, Beginning and ending of your run. Train I.D, Crew members names. start point, end point, all stops and all mileage for Every run and all hours on Every busted trip. Accurate records.

The on board GPS in Vans is to keep tabs on the Van location at all times. The system is capable of sharing Van location data with U.P. Dispatchers as well as PTI. R.R. CSX?

The railroads and PTI contracts for specific lengths & time. The Railroad Tracks have not been moved since the tracks were layed over 100 years ago.
The R.R. knows all mile posts, etc. And all road and Highway miles to Hotels to depots, siteings.

PTI R.R. agreement know mileage-Always the same. Your wait time. The R.R. knows when crews swap on train or tie it down, go to hotel, or depot.

PTI hires pay is [based on mileage plus wait time] understand? the agreement.

That is why you document for all hours Keep your records Because you'll get mail PTI. Three years. Decide if you want in, or move on.
Comments by former employee- Necessary.
Pros
$
Cons
Paperwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Professional Transportation, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

1.6