Professional Transportation, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Don't bother
Driver (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 28, 2015
Driving train crews to and/or from their trains. Not much else to tell as that is the extent of the job. 5-7 people waiting around for calls. Calls are issued to drivers through a waiting list. First one on the board is the first person that gets the call.
Pros
If you haven't seen much of North Dakota, this job will give you the chance to see a lot of out-of-the-way places
Cons
.Waiting around for calls. Spent more time waiting than working.
Bad Management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WaSeptember 9, 2015
I was hired on as a driver on August 26th, 2015.
Since that time, I have completed just 2 days if training, today is September 9th, 2015. 1day in the office and 1 in the local yard. I have been trying to contact the branch manager by phone several times, and have even went to the office and sat outside (as I am now) waiting for it to open. Still nothing has been set. When I call the manager, it will ring to voice mail, half of the time voice mail is full, and i can't leave a message. The other times I don't get a call back. I have even tried to call the recruiter who set up my interview and did my 1st classroom training. Yet no response to the voice mails that I have left her.

During the interview they said we go through a lot if drivers, "because they realize the job isn't for them", maybe it is the poor management, the lack of communication, the lack of simple respect, that they give potential employees.

If you can, stay away from this place.
Pros
Not 1 Thing
Cons
Management, Communication, Respect
Simple and easy going
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 17, 2015
Its a pretty straight forward job, management isn't that great, co-workers are bearable though they have seniority bragging rights over you. Hardest part is the sun.
Pros
Open schedule
Cons
No benefits, doesn't offer any full time
Don't work for them
O T R Driver (Former Employee) –  Lafayette In.August 11, 2015
I was working for them part time and it wasn't bad. But when I changed to full time they started giving the good trips to the long term drivers and shorted my pay by over 400 dollars in one month. They didn't admit to either accusation so I quit.
Pros
Ok if you are part time
Cons
Don't drive OTR full time for them
Horrible accountability
driver (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 15, 2015
Everything read in all of the reviews is true. You have to be available during your 12 hour shift and may or may not get a call from dispatch and that time is not compensated. Only the runs you get and that's only mileage and wait time is only during time you were needed. Worked overnights 6pm-6am and had to be available and only got a call or 2 a night. Then got a call for a run that put me over in to the next day to get done at 1pm but still had to be back on by 6pm and not paid for time spent. If you don't take a call you get reported even if you turn down a 5 hour trip 30 minutes before your 12 hour shift is over that would be impossible to make. Then management calls you and lays in to you. Last minute schedule changes. Scheduled Tuesday to Sunday and then tuesday comes and get notice that now schedule will be Wednesday to Sunday effective immediately so my day off was lost last minute. Worked 60 hours scheduled in 5 days and was only paid for 1/3 of that because of runs regardless of on call time. State law says paid for on call time but there is a loophole that since you have the ability to turn down a call then you don't get paid. But turn call down and you can get fored. Had to pull over on way home from long run for hail storm and did not get paid for the hour because it was distance not time. Have to drive 10-15 miles below speed limit but again you get paid for distance not time but get fired if you break this rule. Imagine going 15 miles below speed limit while tired after working 15 hours.... Horrible. Met some great people and fun for most part but you will be  more... shocked by pay and no way to correct it. If you call diaptch and t let them know you arrived, and you are 15 minutes early you will not get paid for that because you weren't needed at destination until certain time. And you will wait over 2 hours most times. Thought it would be a good way to make some money between jobs but pay is so low you can't catch up and can't schedule interviews around calls and you have to sleep. DO NOT DO THIS unless you can get descent hours round normal sleep schedules and don't need the money.  less
Pros
see review
Cons
see review
This is me, not you. So shut-up with the flames and h. s.
THEY LET ME DRIVE!!! U-HYUK!!! (Current Employee) –  portlandApril 16, 2015
I just spent the morning reviewing my earnings for the past half year.

If I had worked 40 hours a week busting my back for the same pay every 2 weeks I would have averaged $10.44/HR.

By sleeping until I am called and understanding how to code a trimble properly I can have one of the laziest jobs I have ever known.

For better than 10 per hour.

This isn't praise. There is very little to like about this job.

It's not pay a decent skill would bring.

This is about as unskilled as it gets.

For the region you are driving in you would need to memorize maybe 80 locations, at most.

Most of the time is spent waiting.

It ain't bad pay for what is demanded of you.

10.44/hr on one of the slowest time frames 7am to 7pm.

Temps would never pay that for so little.
Pros
Lazy, lazy, laaaaaay-zy work
Cons
Nothing personal can be scheduled if you are otr
Great people to work with, very supportive co-workers and branch managers.
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 17, 2015
Job is pretty laid back, fun atmosphere with co-workers and branch manager, Upper management likes to micromanage and tends to be less personable. Benefits suck!
Pros
company pays for dot medical exam, per work requirement.
Cons
little room for advancement. benefits are sub-par.
Worst place I ever worked
Over the road driver. (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, Wi.January 6, 2015
The worst place I ever worked. Portage, Wi. and Adams, Wi. each have their own manager and each manager has an assistant. I'm 67 years old so I couldn't handlr the long drives to Chicago, Ill. and back. The manager at Adams, Wi. told me to get a doctors excuse and I wouldn't have to go to Chicago any more. I turned it in and the co. stopped assigning jobs to me, and they won't answer my calls or return my calls.
The management is completely incompetant. I wish I could name names on here.
Pros
met some nice people driving.
Cons
worst place i ever worked
worse place I have ever worked in my life!
va (Current Employee) –  evansvilleDecember 31, 2014
I feel sorry for anyone one who works here that is not in management. I am not a driver. When I was hired in I was told it was a payroll position, 40 hours a week, that wasn't even close. This is a coding job, I didn't even know what that was, I was lied to from the get go just like everyone else. I have worked 55 - 70 hours a week for a long time, one because they can't keep people and two because they give you such ungodly deadlines and workloads that it's not possible to get it accomplished. You are told to focus on quantity not quality. .this is people's pay you are dealing with. Most employees there are well educated, and in search of starting a career. Most employees are more educated and have more know how to run a company than any of the power tripping management. You will be fired just as fast as they hired you. You are treated like a disposable number, they could care less about you. If you goto anyone there with about problem it will be used against you about century some point. The you have to deal with drivers being mad about their pay because it is not correct because you are not allowed to do quality work and told just to push through and get it done, and these drivers have all the right to be mad, I can't believe people even work for them. Benefits..haha you might as well forget that, oh they offer them, like 1 sick day after 2 year, you get vacation but you have to make up all hours and work missed, whether your sick or on vacation. The insurance is the worst I have ever had, you are completely out of pocket on medical expenses until your deductible is met,  more... unless you have a medical condition you will never meet the deductible of $800 - $2500, also costing you $25 - $140 a month just to have it. I could go on forever, just like everyone there, we are all miserable. Unless you are in a dire situation don't work here, you would be better off at mcdonalds!  less
Cons
everything
Shorted paychecks, bad benefits, high turnover rate
driver (Current Employee) –  new york nyDecember 20, 2014
When you first start out you are a driver. You will NOT get paid between trips. You could sit for 12 hours and not get one trip. When you get a trip you will be paid miles when you drive and when you wait you will be paid by the hour. you will be paid around .20 cents a mile and around 9 per hour. for training it is min wage.

When your paycheck comes you will have to make sure it is correct for every trip you do which means you have to keep track of every stop you make and every mile you go and how long you wait. If you get a trip you will have to be at the place at 12:00 (which is called the need time) you have to be there at 12:00 or before you can't be late. If you show up early you will not be paid for waiting any time before the need time.

There is code set miles which are how you get paid. If the code set miles for a trip is 45 miles and you drive over 45 miles you will only be paid 45 miles and no more.

If you do choose to work for PTI you may find it is a fun place, but after a while you will find it to be unfair.

I would suggest you use PTI for your benefit to make some money while you try to find another job.

Due to the high retaliation rate of upper management I am wanting to be anonymous, but wish to spread the word on how bad PTI treats there hard working employees.
Pros
driving
Cons
too many to list
A good place to start or to start over
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mpls Branch 479September 22, 2014
If I had just read the reviews online without having met with them first, I probably would have ran for my life but the Mpls location is well run and the office managers are very supportive. It's certainly not for everyone but a lot of the frustration in the reviews seems to be due to the difficulties after the merger with Coach America and the unpredictable nature of the industry.

The pay's not great, but it does offer a chance to try it out albeit on a small scale the trucking lifetstyle without having to make a big investment in training or buying a van.

You have to be able to get to the office, pick up a van and be on your way within an hour of getting assigned a run, so if you live close enough to check in and wait at home it's much more convenient.

The pay's not great, but what this job does offer is a way for decent hardworking people to get a foothold somewhere to get something going - especially if you're starting over or just stuck. Sometimes it seems you can't get a job unless you have a job and PTI will give you a chance. It's a little sad that there's a stigma attached to that and all the yap about corporate greed and the 1% aside - this job will give a boost to the people that need it most.

There's a sense of community here as well since you can hang around the office while waiting for a run. There's a little kitchen and lounge area. With so many people that are homeless or without anything to anchor them, that sense of belonging can make all the difference. If you have a class d license, a clean MVR for 7 years and can pass a drug screening test, you'll will
  more... likely be hired.  less
Pros
sense of community
Cons
it's not 9 to 5 with a set paycheck
Necessary to know
Driver (Former Employee) –  Abilene TexasAugust 14, 2014
Suggestion to prospective or former employees

Keep a personal log documenting: When you are called for a run, Beginning and ending of your run. Train I.D, Crew members names. start point, end point, all stops and all mileage for Every run and all hours on Every busted trip. Accurate records.

The on board GPS in Vans is to keep tabs on the Van location at all times. The system is capable of sharing Van location data with U.P. Dispatchers as well as PTI. R.R. CSX?

The railroads and PTI contracts for specific lengths & time. The Railroad Tracks have not been moved since the tracks were layed over 100 years ago.
The R.R. knows all mile posts, etc. And all road and Highway miles to Hotels to depots, siteings.

PTI R.R. agreement know mileage-Always the same. Your wait time. The R.R. knows when crews swap on train or tie it down, go to hotel, or depot.

PTI hires pay is [based on mileage plus wait time] understand? the agreement.

That is why you document for all hours Keep your records Because you'll get mail PTI. Three years. Decide if you want in, or move on.
Comments by former employee- Necessary.
Pros
$
Cons
paperwork
Worst Job Ever
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlMay 27, 2014
I was hired in May 2014. I went to training on a Saturday but get this the manager was suppose to have been sick is what we were told, so I went back home. We came back for training and the manager stayed he was on a run because an employee had an accident.
The pay was $8.25 or .15 a mile which one is greater who pays like that. I went on a run with am employee an she was nice and let me know all the dirt of this company. The manager is young and immature and thinks he is cool yet he is dumb as heck. The office assistant just sits on her fat butt and does nothing but eat and kisses his butt.
Two of the people who work there stated that the manager can never get their money right on payday. They are always short handed and do not pay their workers the correct amount of money. The little trailer they are in is so nasty and good luck with trying to use the bathroom it's is disgusting! I did not come back in after my second ride along, it is not a job if you are trying to pay your bills! They hire anyone as long as you pass the drug test.
Im just glad I got the check for training in my account and had to never return.
Cons
everything
Job is not worth the hassle.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Centralia WAMay 15, 2014
I joined this company because I love to drive. I thought this would be a great way to be able to drive around without having to pay for gas and still be able to pay the bills. I hired on the end of March and started my safety training the beginning of April. Safety training is watching a 5 hour video that is horribly made repeating the same information over and over and over for the entire 5 hours. Once through that I waited for a couple days to get a call about driving training. Turned out that the driving training was 8 1/2 hour day just driving with another driver taking notes on where all the stops were on a roughly 200 mile trip with no breaks. Then 2 days later I was called in to do training on their computer for only 4 hours. In that time I had to learn how to work their computer and learn how to do all the paperwork plus the vehicle inspection. Got through all that and was on the "board" the next night for my first run.

After that in the month of April I received 10 phone calls that resulted in only 3 completed runs and 1 partial "busted" run. I was lead to believe that I would get much more work than that.

The van I had needed new windshield wipers + fluid and it took having to find another van for me to use "that wasn't in any better condition" for a run to get them to fix that problem. They never did put any windshield washer fluid in it. Otherwise, the van I drove was in pretty good shape and did pretty good on fuel.

One trip they sent me to Seattle Wa. Their computer took me there, they said to go there, then when I got there nobody was there. I called in and
  more... they said "didn't you look at your special instructions". I looked and it said I was in the wrong area. They specifically told me to follow my gps and it would take me where I need to go before I took the trip. Unfortunately, I was supposed to be in Hinkle Or. At that time I didn't even know where "Hinkle" was (special instructions only stated "needed in Hinkle not Seattle then some random train info nothing else). They busted my trip and sent me home.

I finally couldn't take it anymore and put in my 2 weeks notice. After that I only got about 3 more calls. One I missed then the other 2 because they had my van. I got a call, took it, rushed in *half hour drive* to get my van and rush off only to find I had no van. When I called in to find out what was going on they found my van almost an hour away. They initially wanted me to waste my gas and time to go get it but since it was to far to be able to make the original trip they sent me home. I wasted 2 hours of my time for nothing. Then when I got home and walked in my door they called me about the same trip again. I had to call in and remove myself from the board to keep them from calling anymore. I called in the next night and got another call but again the van was gone. Next 2 nights I checked and each day the van wasn't there so I was unable to even go on the "board".

Worst part of all this is having to call Indiana long distance each time I had to go on/off the board, talk to dispatch, check my status, etc with no compensation what so ever. Thankfully I kept the calls as short as I could *about 1 minute each time unless it was to dispatch* and only have an extra $35 in long distance this month *already have 1/2 hour free*.

The last trip I did with them was from Centralia to Portland and for that I only got $36. Total pay for the month (net) $230 for the entire month. Just paid for my fuel to drive in and the phone bill.

I would NOT recommend this company to anyone. Just not worth the hassle.
Pros
getting to meet some of the railroad workers, getting to drive all over the place while they pay for the fuel, and the other drivers i met were great.
Cons
pretty much everything else.
Not a good company to work for
OTR driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, La.April 17, 2014
PTI doesn't care about their drivers as long as the railroad company is happy then so is corporate. If one of the railroad crews makes an allegation against the driver, corporate backs the railroad crew and not their driver. PTI doesn't even do their own investigations when the allegations are made.
Pros
get to meet alot of railroaders, get to travel
Cons
not enough pay, disorganized, don't stand behind their drivers.
Prepare to be disappointed
OTR driver (Former Employee) –  PittsburghJanuary 2, 2014
I'm 60 years old and have held a number of jobs. PTI was far and away the worst.
You can read the other posts about the chronic underpayments and assorted abuses. Here's one I haven't seen.
PTI went on a safety binge last summer about not answering one's cell phone while driving (BTW, you have to pay for your own cellphone and if you pay for minutes, watch out! It's nothing to spend 15 or 20 minutes on hold for dispatch).
They track your location by GPS constantly. During the safety binge, I was in a company van driving to a pick up. My phone rang and I could see it was a PTI number. I happened to be arriving at my location, so I stopped in the parking lot and answered. It was VP S**** M******** (who, for weeks at a time, delivers recorded harangues about safety issues you have to listen to before getting your trip info).
He accused me of answering the phone while driving, which I denied. Apparently, his GPS monitor caught up and he saw that I'd stopped. The point is that he tried to trap me into breaking the rule against answering while driving by calling me from a dispatch number while I was en route.
What a dillhole! He had no point to make or info to deliver; he was just trying to trap me.
Oh, while I'm at it. No pay for vehicle inspection time or for stopping for gas. Fleet is under constant maintenance. They will assign you trips with no vehicles available. More unpaid time on the phone getting that straightened out.
Hold out for at least $8.13 per hour and $.21 per mile. They will pay at least that much. Some drivers get $9.50 an hour, maybe more. Whatever you agree to,
  more... get it in writing.  less
Pros
easy to siphon gas from company vehicles ; )
Cons
having your life tied up waiting for trip calls that may never come; actual miles driven don't count, they have their own charts that they use for each trip
this company is the reason people act a fool they try to act like the drivers are stupid
driver (Former Employee) –  tampa flDecember 13, 2013
i was a driver in tampa fl from feb 27 2012 to October 2013 and honestly it was a good company for about two pay checks then all reality set in my checks were never right you cant seem to get them to call you back I have been owed company bus time since feb 2013 to this date they have yet to pay it I have been accused baselessly of stealing a van only to find the van in the van in the shop where it had been for three days I have had the branch; regional, and director of operation all talk to me in such a manner that I truly feel the critieria to be up that high is that you have to be willing to be on some type of drug or just a person who know what butt to suck up to I got fired for getting rear ended nothing else no tickets nothing i did wrong
Pros
co workers crews
Cons
no forty hour work week after two checks
If you have any sort of life DON'T DO IT!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Everett WaDecember 10, 2013
This is the most backward company I have EVER worked for! You are treated as a bottom feeder by everyone but co-workers. Supervisor is great but they have her spread way too thin. I don't know how she is expected to have a life either! They have us text her at all hours of the day or night to tell her when we go on the board. You run 12 hour shifts that you are supposed to be "available" for and you will wait all day for a trip (you only get paid if you are on a trip) and they call you to take a 3-4 hr run just before your 12 hour shift is up. Many drivers take it because they have waited all day and have no pay for it, but This means you have technically worked for 15 or 16 hours. It always makes me laugh when I hear them say they want you to be safe and well rested because you have peoples' lives in your hands. Yeah, PTI tell me another story! When you ask the manager about that they say something along the lines of "Well, how long have you driven today? You know you CAN drive up to 10 straight hours legally." The philosophy behind it is you can "Do whatever you want when not driving. Sleep, shop, your time is your time" My standpoint is yes, but what can I really do if I am supposed to be "available" to answer the phone at anytime. Sorry to say some people can't just sleep whenever they have a spare moment.
Not to mention that I have never seen a company that is so disorganized in all my life!!! You get called for a trip that is to start in 15 minutes and you tell the dispatch when you can be there so you scoot as fast as you can because you know that the crew is waiting
  more... for you and when you arrive, some other driver has already grabbed your crew. Now, the fun begins because now you have to wait on your cell phone (using your minutes that they do not reimburse you for) to ask them to bust your trip. (busted trips pay you two (2) hours) You wait and you wait on hold with dispatch for 20 minutes or more and there is no limit to how long you will wait. They have to talk with the railroad to make sure before busting you out. Ok I get that, but if it takes you longer than two (2) hours PTI expects you to wait for FREE!! Sorry! I don't work for free and the last time I checked that is not only slavery but it is illegal! I will be contacting the labor board about this too. But I digress, they know all the issues yet they do nothing to make it better. I can't see why BNSF doesn't shop around. There are way better contract driving companies out there!!! Ones that treat their employees well!
I don't trust this company! Keep documentation of EVERYTHING you do! This is not only frustrating but it is sad because they have no regard for loosing a good employee. That is why there is such high turn over. That and the pay. There is no way a person can make a living at this job. You end up working (or what they call being available) 12 hours, work 15 or 16 and may only get $40.
Pros
co-workers & the r.r. crews you transport
Cons
12 hour shifts, nasty management, poor wages, slave labor
It was nice met a lot of people that I probably wouldn't had I took the job.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamlet, NCOctober 21, 2013
Receive a page from the dispatcher, to make a run. I learned about different parts of NC & SC that I didn't know about by driving to these places. I got a new respect for what train drivers have to do. The hardest part was staying awake on a long trip alone &/or with a sleepy crew. I enjoyed going to different places that I know I wouldn't have went to had it not been for me having my transportation job.
Pros
pay was nice & traveling was fun
Cons
long trips, no protection allowed just in case
just started and all I can say is...
Driver (Current Employee) –  SWPASeptember 14, 2013
I received my first paycheck this week and very disappointed, compared to the hours on call and the hours driving and the hours (minutes) of wait time... This job is easy to do but the pay dont equal out to the amount of time you put in. My first paycheck equaled out to 7.35 hour if I was working a 8 hour 5 day a week shift (40 hr week) but realistically I am working 12 hour shifts 5 days a week and only making 4.90 an hour.

If that isn't enough to anger you off the vans are junk the gps constantly is going out, and my gas card pin stopped working (then they want you to find or wait on another driver to use there pin to get gas) It is like working for a company that just started up with as many issues they have.
Pros
easy work, some of the people are decent
Cons
pay sucks, hours suck, and some of the people are nasty and ignorant

1.6