Progress Employee Reviews

Good working environment except for one manager.
Senior QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHAugust 13, 2017
My manager for most of the time I was there was excellent, as were most managers. The company had an up or out philosophy and my boss's boss felt that no QA engineer could ever be promoted above senior. Since I was already a senior level that meant I would eventuallly be terminated which I was.
Very good and stable company
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 19, 2017
Maybe I was lucky with the management, but it was good, even when I did not do the job well. They make an effort to use your skills and let you grow.
Great office facilities
Product Tools Intern (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAMay 28, 2017
Has gym, ping pong room, library and great cafeteria. Kitchen in every floor of every office building with fridge, coffee maker etc.Surrounding area is great and almost tempts you to go for a stroll.
People are nice and socialize regularly at lunch. My job role wasn't very interesting. Hired as a product tools intern I was supposed to manage and execute some bug migration code that was already written before I joined. They bought me a Pluralsight account so I could learn Perl.
I did not give good ratings because I was fired from this job for no apparent or cited reason. This was a huge shocker and bummer since my supervisor was usually nice and never let me know of any major issues with me. I had tried to completely settle a few concerns which did come up during the job.
Pros
Great office facilities
Cons
The way they fire with no explanation
Lack of Identity, Falling Behind
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAMay 19, 2017
Pros
The various events they spend money on to make the company have a “fun” looking culture.
Your own office (if you’re fortunate enough to work at one that offers it, because sometimes privacy to work is a good thing).
Benefits package is enticing.
Good place to work if you’re at the latter half of your career and feel like coasting.

Cons
The Technology (For Grads or Experienced Workers):
If you are a college grad looking for experience in software engineering, this would be a prospective place, but I would not put this as your first choice. The technology to develop their products are old and it most certainly shows. I would advise not to stay there for more than 3 years (and 3 years is even a hard cap). If you do, it’s possible you may fall into this trap of being landlocked where you are because the skills you learn at Progress are not marketable outside of Progress.

For the experienced workers, I would probably write this off your list, unless you don’t really care where you work, depending on which stage of your career you’re in. If you just want to use your current skill set that matches with Progress’ current technology use and feel like coasting until retirement, then by all means, I say go for it.

For those making to look a statement in the middle part of their careers, trying to utilize the technology of today, then look elsewhere, as change is slow at Progress and the mention of change is almost cringeworthy to them (despite how much they may preach for it).

The Culture:
Progress has many employees that have been there since the beginning. People
  more... who have there for 10-20+ years. While that may seem like a “pro” in the sense their employees are loyal to the vision of the company, it also spells a lot of issue that may not be obvious.

The percentage of experienced employees is very high, which make the percentage of younger employees, the “new blood” very low. With any company, they will advertise that they want the younger generation to bring in a fresh perspective on things. While that may be true, they want a fresh perspective, but they don’t want you to change anything or to propose a change in anything. It feels as if Progress lives under the mantra of “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”. Sorry new blood, if you want to make a change or propose a change, expect it to be written off because they really don’t want you to R&D it. Which, most likely means that they don’t want you to R&D it, implement the change, then use your newfound skill set at some other company. They want you at Progress for life (hence the track record of having VERY loyal employees).

Also, change is slow, so your idea probably wouldn’t be put into thought until 3 months after you propose it. A cultural and company problem, I think.

The Products:
All I can give is that they’re hanging on to their bread and butter product, OpenEdge, for as long as possible. Most revenue of OpenEdge most likely stems from contract renewals from customers still using the pre-11.4 era of OE. I don’t even know if new sales are even catching on.

The cloud shift is a sinking ship. How long is it going to take for something like Rollbase to actually look profitable?

Where are the Modulus and Telerik acquisitions factored in? Have we heard much since they have been acquired? Are they a success story?

The products acquired are Progress’ way of trying to stay relevant in a market where they’re already behind on. It’s like Microsoft and the Zune (Oh the Zune). If the new products fail, well, at least they have OpenEdge to ride on for a while.

The Identity:
What is Progress? How many rebrands have they gone through already? Really “sparks” confidence on defining who they are. What happens if their most recent rebrand sinks? Do their current products work with what they’re envisioning? I don’t even think it’s clear internally what Progress is.
Great culture for families but poor career advancement
Senior QA Manager and Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 28, 2017
Recent restructuring has limited career advancement. Although, the people are the core plus. Progress greatly values family and work life balance. They are going through restructuring pains at the moment.
Great company
Director, Partner Solutions (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2017
I worked at Progress for 17 years and it was a great company to work for. There were ups and downs along the way with changes in strategy and senior management but there was always a constructive and collegial environment. We worked very hard most times to achieve our quarterly/yearly goals but we made it fun along the way. I worked with some wonderful people at Progress - very smart and very professional but also very generous and supportive.
Pros
Collegial culture, very smart people
Cons
Strategy and management changes too often.
Productive and Fun place to work
Sitefinity Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 7, 2017
3.5/5

Great culture, collaborative.

Has had a rough couple years.

Nice training/ prospecting tools.

Pool and ping pong table; are expected to hit your goals.
Pros
Lunch perks, coffee, company parties
Great people
Senior Digital Content Strategist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Erratic strategy from leadership; employees aren't set up to succeed. Lots of opportunity for growth. Company has been erratic for many years. Corporate culture is fun and the employees are amazing.
Pros
great work-life balance
Cons
Inadequate executive leadership and strategy
Good Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 13, 2016
Easy to work for. Free fruit on Tuesdays, good work life balance, bring your dog into work. Management has trouble making decisions in a timely manner.
Great place to work very professional culture
Business Development Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCDecember 12, 2016
Company is evolving I was laid off due to hiring freeze. I enjoyed my time there.
Learned a lot about databases and drivers. If given an opportunity to return I would consider opportunity.
Pros
Free drinks and food
Cons
Layoffs
I had a good working experience despite some corporate culture issues
Senior Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCNovember 10, 2016
I would have liked to see the inherent problems that were very obvious to those who worked there had attention given to them. The employees were tops in their field and incredibly smart and hard working
Conservative but driven software company
Fellow and CTO - NextGen Application Development (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 15, 2015
Established US software company constantly looking to re-invent itself but falling short in execution. Multiple CEO changes in recent years have resulted in multiple strategies.
dysunctional mgmt
drone (Former Employee) –  ncDecember 11, 2015
The data division in Morrisville has a challenge, trying to sell 1980s technology in 2015. huge turnover in Management as they try to navigate an unwinnable situation. repetitive layoffs demoralize the whole place. gotten pretty toxic.
Pros
Free lunches on occasion, individual offices, some of the toxic mgmt has left
Cons
dysfunctional mgmt ....Products stuck in the 80s.
20 years working for Progress Software
Principal Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MANovember 13, 2015
Checking work requests, monitoring SAN and VMware infrastructures.
SAN's, VMWare, MS windows, DNS
Management get's involved when needed
Some co-workers are great and helpful.
Collaborating with team members,
Learning new versions of Operating systems, Applications, Hardware and meeting project deadlines. Being rewarded for a job well done.
Pros
Hands on training. Work/Life balance
Cons
lack of direction and change that no longer makes sense
Recommending solutions to customer's
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle ParkOctober 14, 2015
I find appreciation in recommending enterprise connectivity solutions to direct end user's in order to assist them with the way they interact with their customer's.
Pros
Great co-workers and collaborative work environment
Cons
Lack of leadership at times
Not Too bad
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 14, 2015
Not bad place to work. Very relaxed but not much room to grow. A lot of change recently with a big restructure. Overall not bad but the pay could be better. Seem to pay lower than industry norm.
Toxic
Senior Mgr (Former Employee) –  BurlingtonAugust 24, 2015
Toxic environment. Too much conflict, not enough focus on strategy. Senior managers not sufficiently accountable. Not enough focus on good, sound, business judgement.
Productive, challenging environment with an extremely friendly atmosphere.
Technical Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAApril 28, 2015
The team I joined has been together for over a decade. Everyone was extremely friendly, personable, and full of knowledge. I never ran out of things to do, and was put in a great spot with the sun rolling in the windows daily.

Typical day consisted of an immediate starting of my work after getting to Progress; often people would have their coffee and breakfast before starting up. We would work, break for lunch, and had weekly team meetings as well as weekly personal evaluations. I always felt challenged and comfortable, learning a lot about Databases, Progress' ABL, and SQL.

Management was friendly, yet stern. Although intimidating, they provided extremely useful feedback and helped me continue on my co-op despite limited time.

My co-workers were amazing; everyone was available to help and everyone was friendly with each other. There was no negativity, and I was always met with a friendly greeting in the office.

The hardest part of the job was hands down acclimating myself to Progress's many products, and their technical specifics.

I really enjoyed almost everything about working there, and had a lot of fun.
Pros
Amazing environment, great facility
Cons
Expensive lunch, stern management
A Place of Constant Change
Director of Strategic Alliance for North America (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Progress Software has great software, but 5 manager in 7 months is a bit challenging. Mid-Level Management is a revolving door which lacked stability.
Pros
The Technology
Cons
Lack of Leadership
A Strong Line of Products with a Strong Team
Global Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 30, 2014
I love everything about my job with Progress Software, I am constantly given room to grow, a chance to work with brilliant people, and to sell products that really make a difference. No matter what my next step is, Progress will always hold a special place in my heart.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress. Our community is ready to answer.