Progress Rail Employee Reviews

Not perfect but it's a job.
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Pine Hill, ALFebruary 23, 2017
I worked here as a carman and the best part about it was I got off work between 10 to 11 tht morning the work was ok even though we had to run behind a truck every morning
Locomotives and other big engines
Engineering (Current Employee) –  La Grange, ILFebruary 19, 2017
Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company, is a diverse company from the product offering to individuals from all walks of life.

Teamwork can be found across the globe in order to satisfy the customer. If you love a challenging environment, Progress Rail promises to deliver with multiple projects to complete and manufacturing build sites to support. Travel is the best part of the job as you meet new people and truly understand the needs of the customer and the locomotive and marine industry.
Locomotive Engineer - Carman I (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of working on railcars. I learned how to repair railcars. Management did a good job and the culture was good.Working in extreme hot weather was the hardest and the best part of the job was u stayed busy.
Pros
Safety Lunches and raises
Cons
work in heat outside 12 hours a day
overall decent place to work
Class 1 Machinist/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 8, 2017
Progress Rail is a decent place to work.They have a great benefits package with 401k plan.However I believe theres always room for improvement.Over the last several years they have cut back on employee spending while reporting hugh earnings.
Pros
great pay
Cons
dirty work environment
Work with good people that always makes it fun.
Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INFebruary 1, 2017
I Answer phone and direct calls,Greet Customers and visitors, I like to meet knew people. I learned to Conduct safety briefings, Process Payroll I also learned how to do Finance reports for upper management, and some Human Resource. Management was always fair and willing to listen and help if you needed advice on a project or any help that was needed. The work culture was very laid back. The hardest part of my job was Negotiate contractor approvals and Assist with safety and environmental.
Pros
Birthday donuts every month.
Cons
The pay was not that good.
high volume production
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  McCook, ILJanuary 25, 2017
professional,when business is up intense work environment,quality high priority. Work place is clean, tech is up to date. ISO and Six Sigma compliant.
company has lack of guidance, experience, and education
Fleet Equipment Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAJanuary 24, 2017
this company is under continuous budget cuts. the leadership has a lack of education for their positions. this company needs experienced guidance, and a turnover in leadership. The facility and equipment are in disrepair.
Productive and hard working environment
Machinist II (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYJanuary 23, 2017
If you want a job that is very hot and physically demanding then this is the job for you. You will be working with some of the best grinders you will have ever met and the management is pretty good also. They will teach you and show you how to do what they do and be the best at it.

They also have excellent benefits
Pros
loose weight, get in shape, build muscle, learn how to withstand the heat
Cons
die of heat stroke
Easy job but the Supervisor and management make it a bad work place
Carman (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 18, 2017
The job itself is not hard, but the Supervisor at the Columbus site makes it hard if you kiss but its the job for u and it has poor management but the benefits are great
Pros
Off on weekends and great Benefits
Cons
They want u to work when there is no work to do
Good guys horrid management
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, ILJanuary 16, 2017
Worked there for 2 years and was fired over hearsay. Some good team players and some just out for themselves. Management lies to make you feel good. If they don't like you even if you are a good worker your done. In 2 years there I can't even tell you how many walked in and walked out. Wouldn't go back if it was the last job in the US.
Pros
Great guys to work with. Good benefits.
Cons
Poor management communication. Happy lies to make you feel better.
Overall Progress Rail had been a good job/career for me.
Welder/Mechanic Lead man at times. (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJanuary 15, 2017
Progress Rail has been a good job/career for me. I have worked there 22 years and have not been laid off. Caterpillar had bought Progress Rail and due to the economy they are expanding and closing existing facilities. I'm not out to earn a lot of money, but to earn an honest living.
Pros
Good Benefits, matching 401k
Productive environment, not a job for lazy people, pays good to those who work hard.
Blaster/Painter (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 8, 2017
I enjoy working for progress rail services, this is a fast paced, production based job, that gives you the chance to further your skills in any department with no experience needed.
Pros
Great insurance, matching 401k up to 6% discounts on hotels, rentals, phone plans, and more. Paid holiday and paid vacation.
Cons
If work slows down some overtime will get shortened until it gets busy again, happens once or twice a year for a month or a few weeks
Honest and hard working co-workers
Painter-1 (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 6, 2017
Upper management really want to focus on the employees. Good working condition and safety record
. Very good health plan, medical and dental. Matching 4o1K up to the first 6 percent
Pros
Good upper level management
Cons
Supervisors play favortism
Fast paced work environment with constant change between work load and demand
ADMNISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 17, 2016
Over the year and a half of working with PRS, it has been a fast paced position with lots to learn and much flexibility. You have a constant change of job duties and wear many hats which makes you a great asset to the company. Great people to work for and to work with.
loved it!!!
Paint Preparer (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INDecember 14, 2016
this was a great company to have worked for !!!
the job was not far from my home and the work was nice and to have learned what all I had to do ....
Pros
great benafits
Cons
wish i could still work there !!!!
Decent place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYDecember 11, 2016
The job was great and I enjoyed going to work. I got along with almost all my co-workers. And I learned new skills such as forklift driving. The only thing I didn't like it isn't well managed establishment.
Great place to work just not enough work at times.
Carman/Welder (Current Employee) –  Fountain, ALDecember 7, 2016
Not a bad job pretty laid back job. Easy work a majority of the time. Work 8 hours and go home, simple. But business is slow sometimes for a carman
great
major recieving (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INDecember 7, 2016
I loved this place it was the best job I ever had. the only thing is the management don't know how to manage. its like walking on pins and needles if you mess up your fired.
Pros
great pay and binifits
Cons
managment
relaxed work environment but difficult to advance
Production mechanic (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INNovember 29, 2016
they are very safety oriented and demanding on production with little room for advancement. There is a lack of training and quality specifications are vague. The hardest part of the job was developing your own techniques on how to perform your job in an efficient method.
Pros
good health coverage and benefits
Cons
short lunches and breaks
not to bad
Production Supervisor, Q.A. & Mechanic Level II (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYNovember 29, 2016
worked your butt off during the summer but had a cushy job of just pushing buttons and delegating tasks for my sub ordinates. pay was not the best for the hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress Rail. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9