Progressive Employee Reviews

Great place to start a long career
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 29, 2015
Wonderful culture. Progressive has been voted a top 5 Workplace to be employed at in the Tampa Bay area for 6 years straight. My day consisted of speaking to prospective and current customers regarding their insurance needs. The management was top-notch with a great work-life balance. I enjoyed my coworkers knowledge and helpfulness. The hardest part of the job was to deal with catastrophic auto accidents. The most enjoyable part of the job was to receive a thank you for a job well done.
Pros
Year End Bonus, Games, Recognition, Room for advancement
Cons
Very intensive learning at the beginning of career
Horrible Management / No work life balance
Licensed Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2016
The workload is crazy and the compensation is not worth the sacrifices
The Ft. Lauderdale office is a nightmare
Its like being a part of a cult if you don't drink the cool aide they black ball you
Advancement opportunities are available when they want only to positions they want
there is a lot of nepotism going on, your good work will never get you anywhere if your supervisor or manager does not like you
excellent numbers don't matter if you don't play the game you are invisible and will not get promoted
Pros
Ok benefits, healthcare is good
Cons
Horrible Work Schedule
Good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 9, 2016
Progressive was a good company to work for. They look out for their employees and provide flexibility to accommodate work/life balance. I found it difficult to advance. There were plenty of opportunities for lateral movements, but not many for advancement.
Pros
Great atmosphere, flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Best company to work for
Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 8, 2015
I'm a Service Consultant who services auto policies which entails explaining rate increases, processing policy changes, reinstating policies and things of that nature. I've been with the company a little over a year and have already been promoted to become a Chat Rep and I can not be any happier. The benefits are great, the dress code is super relaxed and the environment is family-friendly, and your job is secure as long as you do it. There are soooo many reps that have been there going on 10, 12, 15, 20 years, so the company is more than stable. I've had over 20 jobs and nothing beats this one!!
Pros
1.5 hr lunch, competitive pay, no micromanagement, over-time
Cons
Non
Great Culture, Great Pay
Multiline Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  NortheastMarch 31, 2016
Progressive is an absolutely amazing company to work for. No insurance company can beat them for pay, culture, and work environment.

There are two different worlds in claims- the field and the call centers. If you come in with a bachelors degree to the "Claims Adjuster Trainee" role, as I did, you will have a great time and get promoted quickly. But if you come into one of the call centers as a "Claims Representative" you may stay there for a long time.

On balance, call-center people ARE happier than at other insurance companies, but its still a grind.

People do get promoted out to the field from the call centers- but only the best of the best. We had someone promoted to our field office from Cleveland and after her first 3 months she was #5 in the state. You can make it with a high-school degree but you have to be exceptionally talented and hard working.

Any job in claims where you are on salary will involve long hours. I would have given 3 stars for work/life balance but they have a lot of family-friendly policies like paid parental leave. On balance they are very accommodating if you have children. Still, claims isn't for everyone. During busy times you might work 12 hour days. On the bright side, you can leave early when there aren't too many claims coming in.

Probably my favorite thing about working for Progressive is the freedom to work how I want. I don't have scripts or call metrics and I can talk to my customers like a human being. After doing well in the trainee role, I've been promoted and get to handle unusual and unique claims. No two
  more... days are alike.  less
Pros
Gaineshare, Salary, Culture, Independence
Cons
Long Hours
When people say the workload is bad, they aren't lying.
Claims Generalist Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 14, 2016
I worked for Progressive for four years as a Claims adjuster. I started at a time when we were not going to be hiring people to a time of hiring left and right. The problem is, the more tenure you gain at one position and not move forward to a new one, the more they push the load on you as a way to get you to ether move forward or move on. We often joked that hard work is rewarded with more work.
The bad thing is if you don't want to move into injuries, you will forever be stuck as a generalist, and eventually pushed out of your job.
They do tend to care about their employees by buying you meals and snacks all the time. But it's also a way to hide that you are working 60+ hour weeks, 6 days a week.
Pros
Tend to care about their employees
Cons
Work load, long hours, stressful
Overall Progressive is a great company to work for.
IT Security Engineer Sr (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHNovember 11, 2015
Overall Progressive is a great company to work for. The company culture is a very positive one that empowers its employees with training, embraces diversity and believes in a work life balance. As with any large corporation there are pockets of mismanagement, but this does not overshadow the pros of working here.
Pros
Companyculture is a plus.
Cons
Some pockets of mismanagement and unrealistic expectations.
Fun work place
Personal Lines Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLApril 6, 2016
Nice place to work ,good company with a lot of room for advancement. Pay and benefits could be better , but over all a good place to work .
Pros
na
Cons
na
Not a very good employer to work for.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 15, 2016
The overall rating of 3.8 (at the time of me writing this review) seems to be a little bit inflated. It all comes down to your immediate supervisor. If you're lucky enough to get a supervisor who actually knows what they're doing and know how to not unnecessarily irritate their employees, then you should be fine.

Company wide, there isn't very much emphasis put on employee satisfaction. So if you're unlucky enough to get an immediate supervisor who doesn't know how to interact with people, you're going to have a rough go of it. The turnover rate here is phenomenally high, and most of the time it has everything to do with wanting to get away from overreaching and seemingly unregulated management who lacks the people skills to retain employees, which in turn ends up costing the company a lot of money.
Pros
Pay is better than average .....
Cons
Sometimes the pay just isn't worth it .....
Great employees and team enviroment
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Tampa floridaAugust 17, 2016
A typical work day consists of helping customer through difficult times.
Setting up repairs to their vehicles and setting up rentals.
I learned a lot in how a call center operates and the flow of how to handle difficult situations.
Management is extremely helpful they want you to succeed.
Co-workers are great they are fun to work with and very helpful when in need of resolving problems or just day to day tasks.
The hardest part of the job is workload you must stay focused or you won't be successful.
The best part of the job is when you help someone through their difficult situations and you are successful in doing so.
Pros
Great people, great benefits
Cons
Early on it will be very time consuming, it will get easier if you are focused.
Difficult place to work if one is highly educated
Claims Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2016
Progressive does not value advanced degrees or CPCU designations which, unfortunately, slowed my career. Moreover, most managers from branch to regional were most unprofessional, often boorish and even buffoonish. To be frank, it seemed most of the male managers still thought they were in a fraternity house and acted accordingly. For example, cherry bombs were exploded in the parking lot, men would use the women's restrooms, cursing and outright yelling at employees was common, etc.

It is a good job for someone just graduating from college but I would not suggest staying longer than three years.
Pros
good starter job for a college graduate
Cons
Highly unprofessional work environment
Be prepared for an unrealistic workload
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 13, 2016
Insurance claims in general is a difficult job. The job itself is not that challenging but the workload is unrealistic. The purpose of this review is not to vent but to educate on what to expect as a past employee. I have worked in 4 different offices during my time at Progressive and good management is the key. Regardless of which office you work in, the workload will always be a challenge. It helps when you work in an office where management understands your workload and puts you in the best place to succeed. My last office was not a very enjoyable place to work. There was a sense of pushing out the more tenured employees. It was no surprise to hear that numerous people after me had also quit. If you are interested in working in insurance I would get my experience with Progressive then move on to a better company. All of my friends appear to be a lot happier after they left.
Pros
the people
Cons
Unrealistic workload
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLDecember 24, 2015
Awesome Place To Work / Relaxed Atmosphere/ Great Co Workers Great opportunity for advancement / Great Management Team / Excellent Working Conditions / Good Training Program
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Fast paced and enjoyable place to work.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLSeptember 21, 2016
A typical day at work was taking back to back calls from Progressive insureds. Maintaining policies, making changes, providing billing information, etc. It is a very self-developed environment, management is available but you are in charge of your day to day duties. It is an office location so you are surrounded by your team members who provide lots of support and help. The hardest part of my job was the repetitive nature of the position, most calls ran the same way. The most enjoyable part was being able to help others, customers and other members of my team.
Pros
Your own choice of when you take your breaks and lunches
Cons
Lack of support and information from superiors.
Heavy workload
Automotive Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 15, 2016
Too many claims. Not enough adjusters. Equals bad customer experiences. Management seemed to care but did not DO anything about volume. Too many people get this job and quit as it is very demanding. Everyone seems miserable here. This could be eliminated with the proper claims software, transparency of leadership and monitoring workloads.
Pros
Pay.
Cons
Work life balance.
Ok Place
Sales/Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHSeptember 11, 2016
Typical day would be clocking into your phone getting to use some of the read time you have to see what is new and updated over the company or if there have been any changes to any of the guidelines we may need to know. Once you are done reading you go right in to taking phone calls you would get two 15 min breaks plus your 60 mins for lunch. On busy days this could make it for a very long day of taking call after call after call with not time in between. I have learned a great deal about insurance and how some states are stricter than other when it does come to insurance. Management is ok sometimes. They say they will be giving you feedback on your calls and there is room to advance in the company. The hardest part of the job is taking the calls after calls and not having the time in between when you get a rude customer.
Pros
Benefits Are good, Feedback
Cons
Short breaks, taking call after call after call, Not getting the required feedback you need, No room to really advance in the company, Number base driving.
corporate culture is great, but not realized locally
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 27, 2016
The company as a whole has a great idea and plan, but there is poor management on a local level that creates a uncomforatable atmosphere to work in. Employees aren't treated fairly and there is a fear of retailiation.
Pros
Great corporate atmopshere, good compensation
Cons
hours are very long
Fun and innovative
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHAugust 27, 2016
A typical work day was challenging but interesting in handling inbound calls in a high pressured environment. I learned about things of Property and Casualty insurance that I didn't know before working there. Management was fun and very supportive. My co-workers were also fun and I had build long lasting relationships with a few . The hardest part of the job was not being to always give the customer what they wanted. The most enjoyable part of the job was building the relationship with the customer, because since it was on the phone everything was a mystery.
Pros
Nice pay, perks, great hours, fun environment
Cons
N/A
daily
Licensed Agent (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2016
Answered inbound calls (heavy call volume) to assist customers with their personal lines account (auto, motorcycle, boat, umbrella, homeowners, etc.) i.e.- adding or deleting vehicles, taking payments, changing coverage's on their policy, underwriting, as well as gathering info from the Department Of Motor Vehicles of that
state. Also (during low call volume) I assisted with data entry work to process claims i.e.- insurance/vehicle information, medical records, police reports, auto shop
paperwork, etc. via computer or 10 key touch while maintaining all clerical/administrative work which also consisted of updating company files in alphabetical order by customer's name or policy number.
Heavy on Stats
Insurance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 18, 2016
I worked as a insurance consultant, or customer service rep. I was there for a little over a year. Progressive's culture is for the most part pretty good. They believe in a work home life balance and that I liked.
I also liked that you had all the time in the world to work with a customer. They did not care about your handle time.
What I didn't like was that Progressive is very stat heavy. Meaning that they really do not care about the quality of your call. They care more about how you do with the different cross selling they have for the company.
This got very annoying as time went by.
Progressive does give you a bonus check at the end of the year depending on how well you cross sell.
I never got any recognition on any of my good calls or compliments I got from a customer.
The calls never stopped.
Management said it was because of their high turn around.
Pros
No call time
Cons
Stat heavy