Progressive Employee Reviews

Horrible Management / No work life balance
Licensed Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2016
The workload is crazy and the compensation is not worth the sacrifices
The Ft. Lauderdale office is a nightmare
Its like being a part of a cult if you don't drink the cool aide they black ball you
Advancement opportunities are available when they want only to positions they want
there is a lot of nepotism going on, your good work will never get you anywhere if your supervisor or manager does not like you
excellent numbers don't matter if you don't play the game you are invisible and will not get promoted
Pros
Ok benefits, healthcare is good
Cons
Horrible Work Schedule
Good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 9, 2016
Progressive was a good company to work for. They look out for their employees and provide flexibility to accommodate work/life balance. I found it difficult to advance. There were plenty of opportunities for lateral movements, but not many for advancement.
Pros
Great atmosphere, flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Great Company
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHMarch 29, 2016
It is a wonderful company, excellent benefits, pay is great, most enjoyable part of the job is of course the pay and the year end bonus least favorite part or hardest part would be spending the entire day on the telephone. If you are not accustomed to being on the phone all day it is difficult to do.
Pros
On site gym, quiet rooms, excellent benefits, on site health care
Cons
High stress
Fun work place
Personal Lines Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLApril 6, 2016
Nice place to work ,good company with a lot of room for advancement. Pay and benefits could be better , but over all a good place to work .
Pros
na
Cons
na
Best company to work for
Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 8, 2015
I'm a Service Consultant who services auto policies which entails explaining rate increases, processing policy changes, reinstating policies and things of that nature. I've been with the company a little over a year and have already been promoted to become a Chat Rep and I can not be any happier. The benefits are great, the dress code is super relaxed and the environment is family-friendly, and your job is secure as long as you do it. There are soooo many reps that have been there going on 10, 12, 15, 20 years, so the company is more than stable. I've had over 20 jobs and nothing beats this one!!
Pros
1.5 hr lunch, competitive pay, no micromanagement, over-time
Cons
Non
Great Culture, Great Pay
Multiline Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  NortheastMarch 31, 2016
Progressive is an absolutely amazing company to work for. No insurance company can beat them for pay, culture, and work environment.

There are two different worlds in claims- the field and the call centers. If you come in with a bachelors degree to the "Claims Adjuster Trainee" role, as I did, you will have a great time and get promoted quickly. But if you come into one of the call centers as a "Claims Representative" you may stay there for a long time.

On balance, call-center people ARE happier than at other insurance companies, but its still a grind.

People do get promoted out to the field from the call centers- but only the best of the best. We had someone promoted to our field office from Cleveland and after her first 3 months she was #5 in the state. You can make it with a high-school degree but you have to be exceptionally talented and hard working.

Any job in claims where you are on salary will involve long hours. I would have given 3 stars for work/life balance but they have a lot of family-friendly policies like paid parental leave. On balance they are very accommodating if you have children. Still, claims isn't for everyone. During busy times you might work 12 hour days. On the bright side, you can leave early when there aren't too many claims coming in.

Probably my favorite thing about working for Progressive is the freedom to work how I want. I don't have scripts or call metrics and I can talk to my customers like a human being. After doing well in the trainee role, I've been promoted and get to handle unusual and unique claims. No two
  more... days are alike.  less
Pros
Gaineshare, Salary, Culture, Independence
Cons
Long Hours
corporate culture is great, but not realized locally
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 27, 2016
The company as a whole has a great idea and plan, but there is poor management on a local level that creates a uncomforatable atmosphere to work in. Employees aren't treated fairly and there is a fear of retailiation.
Pros
Great corporate atmopshere, good compensation
Cons
hours are very long
Great place to work, so many perks!
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 7, 2016
They offer great benefits to their employees they really care! On a typical day you work with customers or potential customers and help them with issues. Progressive offers top pay for the experienced employees.
excellent for entry level
Insurance Agent (Direct Sales) (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 15, 2016
If you are new to insurance the training program is amazing, great environment for a call center. However, there are too many people for reasonable advancement beyonbd the entry level, many persons waiting for the better part of a decade or longer to receive any advancement or raises.
Pros
training
Cons
call center
Progressive was great!
Inside Sales and Licensed Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHMarch 17, 2016
I loved working for this company. My hours were flexible, my team was outstanding, my position was not stressful, and the company offer amazing benefits
There is a reason they pay so well
claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 19, 2015
The work itself is not particularly difficult. If you are good at problem solving, critical thinking, negotiation, and assertive decision making you will be successful.
The work load is unrealistic, which causes your work/life balance to become all work and no life. The annual salary saves the company from paying overtime to each adjuster, because you will work overtime regularly (read: daily) to get through your workload.
Pros
Great coworkers, great pay
Cons
Little time away from work
Great place to start a long career
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 29, 2015
Wonderful culture. Progressive has been voted a top 5 Workplace to be employed at in the Tampa Bay area for 6 years straight. My day consisted of speaking to prospective and current customers regarding their insurance needs. The management was top-notch with a great work-life balance. I enjoyed my coworkers knowledge and helpfulness. The hardest part of the job was to deal with catastrophic auto accidents. The most enjoyable part of the job was to receive a thank you for a job well done.
Pros
Year End Bonus, Games, Recognition, Room for advancement
Cons
Very intensive learning at the beginning of career
Great company to work for
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Progressive is great company to work for. It provides great benefits as well as a many opportunities for growth within.
Great place to work.
Processing Sr POC (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHDecember 24, 2015
Has a great work/life balance. Can work from home up to 4 days per week. Offers Gainshare, great benefits. Hard to move up in the company. Better off leaving the company and then coming back.
Pros
work from home
Cons
nearly impossible to move up in the company from Customer Service
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLDecember 24, 2015
Awesome Place To Work / Relaxed Atmosphere/ Great Co Workers Great opportunity for advancement / Great Management Team / Excellent Working Conditions / Good Training Program
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Wonderful place to work with a great work atmoshpere
Customer Service/ Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHDecember 16, 2015
Helping customers is the best part of the day knowing that I helped solve any possible issues with policies and helping with endorsements on auto policies.
Benefits
Cons
Management is not consistent
When people say the workload is bad, they aren't lying.
Claims Generalist Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 14, 2016
I worked for Progressive for four years as a Claims adjuster. I started at a time when we were not going to be hiring people to a time of hiring left and right. The problem is, the more tenure you gain at one position and not move forward to a new one, the more they push the load on you as a way to get you to ether move forward or move on. We often joked that hard work is rewarded with more work.
The bad thing is if you don't want to move into injuries, you will forever be stuck as a generalist, and eventually pushed out of your job.
They do tend to care about their employees by buying you meals and snacks all the time. But it's also a way to hide that you are working 60+ hour weeks, 6 days a week.
Pros
Tend to care about their employees
Cons
Work load, long hours, stressful
Not a very good employer to work for.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 15, 2016
The overall rating of 3.8 (at the time of me writing this review) seems to be a little bit inflated. It all comes down to your immediate supervisor. If you're lucky enough to get a supervisor who actually knows what they're doing and know how to not unnecessarily irritate their employees, then you should be fine.

Company wide, there isn't very much emphasis put on employee satisfaction. So if you're unlucky enough to get an immediate supervisor who doesn't know how to interact with people, you're going to have a rough go of it. The turnover rate here is phenomenally high, and most of the time it has everything to do with wanting to get away from overreaching and seemingly unregulated management who lacks the people skills to retain employees, which in turn ends up costing the company a lot of money.
Pros
Pay is better than average .....
Cons
Sometimes the pay just isn't worth it .....
Great employees and team enviroment
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Tampa floridaAugust 17, 2016
A typical work day consists of helping customer through difficult times.
Setting up repairs to their vehicles and setting up rentals.
I learned a lot in how a call center operates and the flow of how to handle difficult situations.
Management is extremely helpful they want you to succeed.
Co-workers are great they are fun to work with and very helpful when in need of resolving problems or just day to day tasks.
The hardest part of the job is workload you must stay focused or you won't be successful.
The best part of the job is when you help someone through their difficult situations and you are successful in doing so.
Pros
Great people, great benefits
Cons
Early on it will be very time consuming, it will get easier if you are focused.
Difficult place to work if one is highly educated
Claims Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2016
Progressive does not value advanced degrees or CPCU designations which, unfortunately, slowed my career. Moreover, most managers from branch to regional were most unprofessional, often boorish and even buffoonish. To be frank, it seemed most of the male managers still thought they were in a fraternity house and acted accordingly. For example, cherry bombs were exploded in the parking lot, men would use the women's restrooms, cursing and outright yelling at employees was common, etc.

It is a good job for someone just graduating from college but I would not suggest staying longer than three years.
Pros
good starter job for a college graduate
Cons
Highly unprofessional work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progressive. Our community is ready to answer.