Progressive Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to start a long career
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 29, 2015
Wonderful culture. Progressive has been voted a top 5 Workplace to be employed at in the Tampa Bay area for 6 years straight. My day consisted of speaking to prospective and current customers regarding their insurance needs. The management was top-notch with a great work-life balance. I enjoyed my coworkers knowledge and helpfulness. The hardest part of the job was to deal with catastrophic auto accidents. The most enjoyable part of the job was to receive a thank you for a job well done.
Pros
Year End Bonus, Games, Recognition, Room for advancement
Cons
Very intensive learning at the beginning of career
Horrible Management / No work life balance
Licensed Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2016
The workload is crazy and the compensation is not worth the sacrifices
The Ft. Lauderdale office is a nightmare
Its like being a part of a cult if you don't drink the cool aide they black ball you
Advancement opportunities are available when they want only to positions they want
there is a lot of nepotism going on, your good work will never get you anywhere if your supervisor or manager does not like you
excellent numbers don't matter if you don't play the game you are invisible and will not get promoted
Pros
Ok benefits, healthcare is good
Cons
Horrible Work Schedule
Good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 9, 2016
Progressive was a good company to work for. They look out for their employees and provide flexibility to accommodate work/life balance. I found it difficult to advance. There were plenty of opportunities for lateral movements, but not many for advancement.
Pros
Great atmosphere, flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Best company to work for
Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 8, 2015
I'm a Service Consultant who services auto policies which entails explaining rate increases, processing policy changes, reinstating policies and things of that nature. I've been with the company a little over a year and have already been promoted to become a Chat Rep and I can not be any happier. The benefits are great, the dress code is super relaxed and the environment is family-friendly, and your job is secure as long as you do it. There are soooo many reps that have been there going on 10, 12, 15, 20 years, so the company is more than stable. I've had over 20 jobs and nothing beats this one!!
Pros
1.5 hr lunch, competitive pay, no micromanagement, over-time
Cons
Non
Overall Progressive is a great company to work for.
IT Security Engineer Sr (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHNovember 11, 2015
Overall Progressive is a great company to work for. The company culture is a very positive one that empowers its employees with training, embraces diversity and believes in a work life balance. As with any large corporation there are pockets of mismanagement, but this does not overshadow the pros of working here.
Pros
Companyculture is a plus.
Cons
Some pockets of mismanagement and unrealistic expectations.
Great Culture, Great Pay
Multiline Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  NortheastMarch 31, 2016
Progressive is an absolutely amazing company to work for. No insurance company can beat them for pay, culture, and work environment.

There are two different worlds in claims- the field and the call centers. If you come in with a bachelors degree to the "Claims Adjuster Trainee" role, as I did, you will have a great time and get promoted quickly. But if you come into one of the call centers as a "Claims Representative" you may stay there for a long time.

On balance, call-center people ARE happier than at other insurance companies, but its still a grind.

People do get promoted out to the field from the call centers- but only the best of the best. We had someone promoted to our field office from Cleveland and after her first 3 months she was #5 in the state. You can make it with a high-school degree but you have to be exceptionally talented and hard working.

Any job in claims where you are on salary will involve long hours. I would have given 3 stars for work/life balance but they have a lot of family-friendly policies like paid parental leave. On balance they are very accommodating if you have children. Still, claims isn't for everyone. During busy times you might work 12 hour days. On the bright side, you can leave early when there aren't too many claims coming in.

Probably my favorite thing about working for Progressive is the freedom to work how I want. I don't have scripts or call metrics and I can talk to my customers like a human being. After doing well in the trainee role, I've been promoted and get to handle unusual and unique claims. No two
  more... days are alike.  less
Pros
Gaineshare, Salary, Culture, Independence
Cons
Long Hours
When people say the workload is bad, they aren't lying.
Claims Generalist Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 14, 2016
I worked for Progressive for four years as a Claims adjuster. I started at a time when we were not going to be hiring people to a time of hiring left and right. The problem is, the more tenure you gain at one position and not move forward to a new one, the more they push the load on you as a way to get you to ether move forward or move on. We often joked that hard work is rewarded with more work.
The bad thing is if you don't want to move into injuries, you will forever be stuck as a generalist, and eventually pushed out of your job.
They do tend to care about their employees by buying you meals and snacks all the time. But it's also a way to hide that you are working 60+ hour weeks, 6 days a week.
Pros
Tend to care about their employees
Cons
Work load, long hours, stressful
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLDecember 24, 2015
Awesome Place To Work / Relaxed Atmosphere/ Great Co Workers Great opportunity for advancement / Great Management Team / Excellent Working Conditions / Good Training Program
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Heavy workload
Automotive Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 15, 2016
Too many claims. Not enough adjusters. Equals bad customer experiences. Management seemed to care but did not DO anything about volume. Too many people get this job and quit as it is very demanding. Everyone seems miserable here. This could be eliminated with the proper claims software, transparency of leadership and monitoring workloads.
Pros
Pay.
Cons
Work life balance.
Be prepared for an unrealistic workload
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 13, 2016
Insurance claims in general is a difficult job. The job itself is not that challenging but the workload is unrealistic. The purpose of this review is not to vent but to educate on what to expect as a past employee. I have worked in 4 different offices during my time at Progressive and good management is the key. Regardless of which office you work in, the workload will always be a challenge. It helps when you work in an office where management understands your workload and puts you in the best place to succeed. My last office was not a very enjoyable place to work. There was a sense of pushing out the more tenured employees. It was no surprise to hear that numerous people after me had also quit. If you are interested in working in insurance I would get my experience with Progressive then move on to a better company. All of my friends appear to be a lot happier after they left.
Pros
the people
Cons
Unrealistic workload
corporate culture is great, but not realized locally
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 27, 2016
The company as a whole has a great idea and plan, but there is poor management on a local level that creates a uncomforatable atmosphere to work in. Employees aren't treated fairly and there is a fear of retailiation.
Pros
Great corporate atmopshere, good compensation
Cons
hours are very long
Fun work place
Personal Lines Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLApril 6, 2016
Nice place to work ,good company with a lot of room for advancement. Pay and benefits could be better , but over all a good place to work .
Pros
na
Cons
na
excellent for entry level
Insurance Agent (Direct Sales) (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 15, 2016
If you are new to insurance the training program is amazing, great environment for a call center. However, there are too many people for reasonable advancement beyonbd the entry level, many persons waiting for the better part of a decade or longer to receive any advancement or raises.
Pros
training
Cons
call center
Workplace with an interesting dynamic
Claims Loss Reporting Rep (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, OhioAugust 24, 2015
The work environment seemed tense and times. We seemed to be generally understaffed. there were good benefits and competitive wages. My expectations were a lot different from when I started working and from when I ended my employment. I feel that there weren't many incentives to make employees want to work harder. Very numbers driven. Not enough opportunities for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough opportunities for advancement
Enjoyed my time at progressive
Customer Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2015
This is a basic call center environment. The employees are great, management is hit or miss, and the work/life balance has it's benefits. As for management, it is hit or miss when it comes to great, good, or mediocre. In my tenure, I had 5 managers. 1 was great, 2 were mediocre, and the final 2 were terrible. I found little opportunity for advancement and struggling employee morale. If you are looking for a job, this may be the place for you. If you are seeking a beneficial career, you might find a better place elsewhere.
Pros
Benefits, Gain sharing, employees.
Cons
limited work/life balance, limited advancement opportunity, inconsistent management standards.
There is a reason they pay so well
claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 19, 2015
The work itself is not particularly difficult. If you are good at problem solving, critical thinking, negotiation, and assertive decision making you will be successful.
The work load is unrealistic, which causes your work/life balance to become all work and no life. The annual salary saves the company from paying overtime to each adjuster, because you will work overtime regularly (read: daily) to get through your workload.
Pros
Great coworkers, great pay
Cons
Little time away from work
Overall great company
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLJanuary 19, 2016
Progressive is a great company. The only reason I left is because when I started they were very lenient with schedule adjustments, you could submit to make your own schedule and they'd approve or disapprove but they'd at least make an attempt to work with you; after about a year and a few months in they arranged scheduling by production and it completely through off my work life balance, forcing me to leave. As far as dealing with the work flow, it was the average office's workflow. Lots of busy days but the managers are extremely supportive and I feel honored to have met some of the people I met while employed with the company. The company has great values.
Pros
Great, fair company
Cons
scheduling
Great place to work...the campus provides restaurants and a store along with an amazing art gallery.
Customer Service/Claims (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Hts, OHJanuary 14, 2016
Progressive is a great place to work. Starting with an intensive yet fun 4 weeks of training. By the time you hit the floor you have all the information you need to provide great customer service and knowledge of the computer programs to file claims. Management is helpful and available when needed. Co-workers are friendly and kind. The hardest part of the job is taking a claim when there has been a fatal accident. The most enjoyable part of the job is using my friendly calming voice to assist customers in filing their auto claims, and assuring them that Progressive Adjusters will follow up quickly and resolve their claim in an efficient manner.
Pros
On-site exercise facility...Fresh buffet including salad and soup bar.
Cons
Long walk from the parking lot.
Excellent company with a lot of demands for employees
Claims Generalist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 22, 2015
Overall a great company with a strong commitment to the satisfaction of their employees. Unfortunately the work load is unmanageable for most of the employees which causes a high turn over rate. When employees quit it creates more work for their already overworked ex- coworkers.
It's pretty much the norm to be "behind" on your workload.
Management continues to hire the wrong kind of people for this job. This isn't a job for the straight out of college, "I've never had a full time job" type.
The starting pay is attractive
Benefits are average
Coworkers and management are great people
Prepare to work overtime
Pros
Office parties, promotions galore
Cons
workload, benefits
Good company
Customer Rep (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 14, 2015
Progressive is great company that has good core values. They really are very flexible with scheduling for people who have to balance work and outside activities. I think it's a good stepping stone for people looking to gain new skills, but I'm not sure long term though. I have had great rapport with management and established many friendships with staff. The job can be redundant at times but it's a pretty good job. The only area that could use improvement is the opportunity for advancements and more competitive pay when promoted. Outside of that I've had a pleasant experience with progressive and think highly of them as a reputable organization.
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
advancement & pay increases