Progressive Employee Reviews

Found 1,046 reviews matching the search
Excellent work environment with breaks and employee breakroom.
Workmans compensation adjuster trainee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2017
This company provided excellent training and staff support for its employees. The benefit package was good as well as the competitive pay scale. They offered opportunities for advancement and various relocation offices. The company was a new start back in 1992 and was growing quickly but still maintain a professional atmosphere. The training offered in depth and detailed understanding of the workman's compensation law as well as the old laws. Provided step by step instruction on opening new claims and analyzing legitimacy in the claim and how to manage the open file. It
also provided brief basic medical training which is often found in claims. The performance evaluations were ranked and were fair.
Pros
excellent training and support
Ups and downs
Claims Generalist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96814January 31, 2017
The claims world is never easy. The people you work with at Progressive make it a fun environment if there aren't any toxic employees. There is a political game but I suppose that's everywhere you go. "They say" tenure doesn't matter, but that's contrary to what I've seen. Usually, you'll work more than the allotted 8 hours and that really affects work/life balance. If you can't manage the work within those 8 hours and ask for help from managers, you're placed on an action plan which counts against your performance evaluation which in turn affects your salary. So, if you're like me, you'll work more than 40+ hours a week. Upsides are being able to help customers everyday and be a positive light when they've just experienced a terrible accident. It makes you feel good doing the work for good people. The negatives are dealing with terrible people and getting surveyed by them, which in turn, affects your raise at the end of the year.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
work life balance
Great Place to get job experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLDecember 8, 2016
This is nice Entry level company to work for. The company supports work life balance and pays for college. Once you get your degree you may not get further in your career, since the management positions do not require a degree. But During your time at Progressive, take advantage of opportunities, loan in positions and trainings to give you the great transferable skills to be successful in a career with your next company.
Pros
Compared to other companies, Progressive trains it's reps the best
Cons
They do not support self-promotion or taking control of your own development, You have to follow the career path they chose for you, whether you like it or not for a couple years if you want to be in a leadership role
Brutal and demoralizing workload
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILOctober 2, 2016
Progressive spouts a tremendous work life balance and rewarding career but once hired into the claims department you soon learn the truth. As the weeks pass the quantity of claims that are assigned steadily increase until you feel as though your in quicksand. My co-workers and I consistently work 12 hour days Monday through Friday plus a weekend day to have a fighting chance. They dangle a year end bonus to hopefully give you encouragement to carry on as family relationships suffer, weight gain plagues your existence and you begin to notice the depressing turn over rate. Your salary of $51,000 quickly turns into $30,000 with all the hours put in.
The position can be mastered and is rewarding when you help those
through difficult times. Just watch out for the snow ball effect that will surely build and run you over!
Pros
matching vested 401K, some cool supervisors
Cons
WORKLOAD!
Great Benefits and opportunites
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 5, 2016
Enjoyable place to work if you can deal with a lot of negativity from customers and from co-workers. Training was sparse when I started and ended up being a factor in my leaving but company was proactively working to fix this. Management is a bit rigid but over all is a good place to work. Just have to be able to deal with very aggressive customers who won't admit or tell the truth in many situations and with some co-workers who do not pull their weight and expect you to cover their mistakes. Management is older and fairly out of touch but company is working to rectify this.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, advancement
Cons
Negative work environment in many places
Great if you don't have children
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLJanuary 5, 2017
Fast paced & stressful at times. There are quotas even if you are not in sales. Management was lazy and expected you to do everything yourself &/or for them. If you have kids, this is not the place for you! Be a robot and expect to not help customers who truly need it! For example, a customer has cancer, her husband just died and her auto insurance cancelled. No human components. So if helping people is what motivates you or if you don't have a family, this is a good place to work.
Pros
Benefits like health insurance, gym (if you have time to actually use) and onsite medical facility.
Cons
Not family friendly/understanding when kids get sick, lazy management and number driven.
Very Misleading
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHDecember 12, 2016
I started at Progressive as a contractor in November of 2016. I was starting my second week on their IT Helpdesk and everything was wonderful. Coworkers and managers were friendly. The Environment is relaxed. The hardest part for me was sitting at a desk all day, but it was definitely worth it in the end. The reason for my low points was the fact that when I returned home from work on the 8th day of employment, my contract agency called me and told me Progressive terminated my contract, and I am forbidden to contact them for any reason. The only thing I could get from them when asked why was that it "was not performance related" So they fired me because I didn't deserve it. If there was something I said, I do not know. Some I did, no idea. This company was great to work for for the week I did, but I find their way of terminating without reason or explanation very disturbing.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, good atmsophere
Cons
Every day could be your last. With or without reason.
Great culture in terms of diversity, technology, and innovative solutions.
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHFebruary 6, 2017
Typical day included interactions with project team, sponsors, and key stakeholders in support of project, program, or portfolio assignments. Learned how centralized Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) functions can serve needs across a broad spectrum of organizational business areas.

Culture was diverse, and encouraged risk taking in pursuit of solution building. Although leadership was strong, support for those positioned as change agents remained critical to personal success.

Most challenging element of the job was assignments where support was inconsistent or inadequate to satisfy the goals of the project or program.

Most enjoyable part of the job was delivering IT outcomes that impacted the bottom line in substantial ways, and strengthened the company's pursuit of becoming the number 1 national insurer.
Pros
Access to modern technologies, tools, and training.
Cons
Inconsistent and/or inadequate processes that were candidates for Lean refinement.
Awesome place to work but the hours a bit much
Application Programmer Lead (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHDecember 22, 2016
I work with an awesome group of people. We range in age from just coming out of college to late 40s. We work well with each other and have some good clean fun doing it.

The part of my job which is a little wearing is the hours I work. I have more work than the average person. I find that Progressive leans on there top tier people (not in job title, but workers) a little too much, often asking them to do almost the impossible. As one of those people, I struggle with work life balance.
Pros
Awesome Culture to work in
Cons
If your a top person in a department be prepared for longer hours.
Great company but limitations depending on business group
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2016
Progressive is a wonderful company overall, with amazing senior leaders who are approachable. It is true that the organization is run as a meritocracy. I was fortunate to have worked in a variety of positions within my employment of 12 plus years. Company objectives stretch your limits and challenge your problem solving abilities.

The benefits are above par and the company listens to its employees--from benefits offerings to employee programs. Their appreciation for diversity and inclusion ranks above other employers in my opinion.

One caution is that the business unit (and department) can limit your upward mobility quite a bit. And, at times, job objectives are not clear if in a corporate role (not metric driven) and performance review can be subjective.

I would work for Progressive again if ever the opportunity was the right fit. While I am proud of the work I was able to produce during my tenure with Progressive, I am more pleased with the open mindedness of our executive team who listened to our ideas and the difference the results of our work lent contributed to improvements in our culture and employee experience.
Great place to work and grow
PIP Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLFebruary 5, 2017
Progressive is an excellent company to work for, so long as the supervisor or managing person is "properly" trained to handle the volume of it's employees under that person's supervision and coaching, etc. The training and furtherance of education is readily available and free, so the problem is hiring and training the persons in charge, so that the employees can work to their full potential!
Pros
Excellent benefits and perks
Cons
extreme volume of work to each individual and poor management of same
Handle claims in an office environment.
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 8, 2017
Progressive provides a phenomenal level of customer service to their customers, but at the expense of a poor work environment and lack of morale. I received outstanding training and experience over the years and have worked with a lot of great people in that time. I enjoy my job as I get to interact with a diverse group of Special Lines customers and have the opportunity to provide a high-level of customer service. It is often appreciated on a different level than the typical auto customer, as these products are personal to them, and you have a better opportunity to establish rapport.
The front line management team is very helpful and supportive, but there's simply no vision at the top to try to take the company to a whole new level culturally and technologically. For tenured employees, who don't wish to go into management, there's not a lot of opportunities for development or compensation. If you're looking for a great company to learn this business, can thrive in a high-pressure environment, and get a lot of experience in a short period of time, then this is the place. If you plan to stay an adjuster long term, there's not a lot of value placed on tenure in terms of compensation or benefits.
Pros
Fantastic training and a sincere drive to serve the customer.
Cons
Poor work life balance, lack of vision for the future technologically and culturally. No value placed on tenure.
Productive and Diverse
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHJanuary 16, 2017
A typical day in call center is very fast paced and can also slow down at times giving you the option to leave and go home if you have ETB time or Same day is available to you. However I was working in the Mayfield Hts locale which was an hour drive from my home each way and not to mention herds of wildlife running all over the Campus one of which I hit and nothing do they do to make that any easier meaning employees in the winter time on patios feeding them, but anyways the Manager that I had was not diverse at all very judgemental and ignorant to other cultures, never promoted anybody reviews were always negative and quite a few under this person either quit or was terminated and when H.R. was notified nothing was done and they dont give exit interviews and I was hired in for a position that I didnt originally apply for. Overrall my experience with Progressive was not a great one until the very end when I was switched to another Supervisor and team however at that time of which was too late was already on final from former supervisor for bogus write ups including tardies that shouldnt have counted against me. I would not refer working for this outfit if you are looking for advancement. I did enjoy the scheduling options and museum like atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Gym, on-site clinic, free accidental $20k life insurance
Cons
no consideration for employees that commute such as grace periods on time in during bad weather!!!
Progressive is a great place to work at I was there for a long time, unfortunately there was not a lot of advancement for me.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLNovember 28, 2016
I would always refer anyone to Progressive it is just time for me to use my knowledge and do more for myself. There were good benefits, onsite gym and cafeteria. I just feel like I'm ready for more of a challenge.
Pros
A lot of employee recognition.
Cons
Just not a lot of room for advancement.
Ok Place
Sales/Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHSeptember 11, 2016
Typical day would be clocking into your phone getting to use some of the read time you have to see what is new and updated over the company or if there have been any changes to any of the guidelines we may need to know. Once you are done reading you go right in to taking phone calls you would get two 15 min breaks plus your 60 mins for lunch. On busy days this could make it for a very long day of taking call after call after call with not time in between. I have learned a great deal about insurance and how some states are stricter than other when it does come to insurance. Management is ok sometimes. They say they will be giving you feedback on your calls and there is room to advance in the company. The hardest part of the job is taking the calls after calls and not having the time in between when you get a rude customer.
Pros
Benefits Are good, Feedback
Cons
Short breaks, taking call after call after call, Not getting the required feedback you need, No room to really advance in the company, Number base driving.
Fun Efficient work environment geared to work life balance
Senior Auto Claim Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day at work would involve managing incoming claims, phone calls, and investigating into coverages.
The management is always willing to help give direction for managing working loads by providing effective feedback from their own experiences in the position.
Pros
Bonuses, healthcare, Promotions always available.
Cons
Workload can be overwhelming at times.
Great employees and team enviroment
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Tampa floridaAugust 17, 2016
A typical work day consists of helping customer through difficult times.
Setting up repairs to their vehicles and setting up rentals.
I learned a lot in how a call center operates and the flow of how to handle difficult situations.
Management is extremely helpful they want you to succeed.
Co-workers are great they are fun to work with and very helpful when in need of resolving problems or just day to day tasks.
The hardest part of the job is workload you must stay focused or you won't be successful.
The best part of the job is when you help someone through their difficult situations and you are successful in doing so.
Pros
Great people, great benefits
Cons
Early on it will be very time consuming, it will get easier if you are focused.
Good Solid Company that lives up to their name
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLFebruary 20, 2017
They endeavor to be innovators (Progressive). While I won't pretend they always succeed, it happens more than it does not. Their work/life balance, casual work environment and people oriented business all work in their favor. They are a large organization and advancement can be challenging. But many feel good about staying with them for upwards of 10 years.
Poor managment
Managed Repair Representative (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMJanuary 24, 2017
Management was inept and lack claims knowledge to correctly handle claims. Extremely busy work environment. Extremely micromanaged making job hard to complete efficiently and productively. Enjoyed opportunity to meet or exceed expectations of customers,
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Micromanged by those who lacked experience in claims adjudication
Great balance
Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHSeptember 28, 2016
Progressive is a great place to work and grow. The available training, workplace incentives, culture and diversity are all excellent. The work/life balance would be difficult to match.
Pros
Benefits, work from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progressive. Our community is ready to answer.